PDA

View Full Version : Background for Maid/Servant?

werescythe
2022-03-20, 03:39 PM
So I'm sure that someone's probably asked this, however I couldn't find it while doing an advanced search, so I decided to ask it here.

Of all the backgrounds that have been officially released, which do you think best fits a maid/servant?

Thank you for your feedback. :smallwink:

Dr.Samurai
2022-03-20, 03:50 PM
So I'm sure that someone's probably asked this, however I couldn't find it while doing an advanced search, so I decided to ask it here.

Of all the backgrounds that have been officially released, which do you think best fits a maid/servant?

Thank you for your feedback. :smallwink:
It might be helpful to elaborate a little on the character. When you say maid/servant, do mean a housekeeper? Or something more akin to Alfred?

I could see Courtier working from SCAG.

Sorinth
2022-03-20, 03:51 PM
I think Folk Hero's feature would probably make the most sense, though I would be tempted to change the skills around depending on the type of estate.

werescythe
2022-03-20, 04:00 PM
It might be helpful to elaborate a little on the character. When you say maid/servant, do mean a housekeeper? Or something more akin to Alfred?

Yeah, I was thinking of something akin to a housekeeper.

t209
2022-03-20, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of something akin to a housekeeper.
Maybe talk with DM about new background features.
Or use Noble if you are high ranking servant, like Seneschal or if you character have to converse with nobles.
Or use Criminal/Spy but only for "Contact" features (since they would go out to contact with grocers and suppliers).

Amnestic
2022-03-20, 04:09 PM
My top pick is probably Courtier (SCAG): For someone who isn't a noble, but nevertheless 'mingled' in noble circles.

P. G. Macer
2022-03-20, 04:22 PM
I’m going to join the chorus recommending Courtier, though you can also just make your own with the DM and still have it be RAW, as the PHB recommends doing this for backgrounds that don’t fit one of the preexisting examples. EDIT: Missed the “that have been officially released part of the OP.

nickl_2000
2022-03-21, 06:41 AM
Celebrity Adventurer’s Scion from Acquisitions Incorporated would be a pretty decent fit, but it's only sort of official.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-21, 07:39 AM
My top pick is probably Courtier (SCAG): For someone who isn't a noble, but nevertheless 'mingled' in noble circles. +1 for this, but I think a custom background might be a better idea.

Sigreid
2022-03-21, 09:05 AM
Spy. Nobody pays attention to such servants so they are wonderful sources of information.

Dr. Murgunstrum
2022-03-21, 10:46 AM
Guild Artisan with Cook’s Utensils or something similar for your tools.

House Agent is someone sworn to a house, that could be a maid or a servant.

Failed Merchant can easily be massaged to indentured servant or child of an indentured servant who went broke and became a house menial.

Rival Intern could be massaged to be a servant who was fired.

An Inheritor could have been a servant before discovering their inheritance.

Gambler and Facelss are similarly class agnostic.

Catullus64
2022-03-21, 11:13 AM
If I had to make one up:

Skills: Animal Handling, Performance
Tools: Pick two from Weaver's Tools, Cook's Utensils, Cobbler's Tools, Land Vehicles, or any musical instrument.

Equipment: A letter of reference from your former master (genuine or expertly forged), a mess kit, a bar of soap, a set of fine clothes, a set of artisan's tools or a musical instrument, and a purse containing 10 gp.

Feature: Downstairs Gossip

You fit in well amongst other servants and domestic functionaries, and they naturally incline to share the latest news with you. If you spend at least 10 minutes conversing with servants or people of similar rank and function, you can learn the latest news and rumors regarding important personages and goings-on in the area. They will also provide minor favors, like food, distractions, or introductions to their betters, though they will not do so at personal risk.

Joe the Rat
2022-03-22, 10:48 AM
+1 for Courtier (for moving in the circles of power) and Guild Artisan (particularly for skilled service - i.e. cooks, or the Merchant model for Head Butler: Alfred, Mr. Carson, Sebastian Michaelis. There is sort of a "downstairs network" that in many ways simulates guild offerings).

Criminal(Spy) sort of works, using the Downstairs Network as a less nefarious "contact." 50-50 on thieves' tools being appropriate - that would depend on your spinning a bit of locksmithing into your specific responsibilities.

Al that said, Custom Background is is in the PHB. tweaking one or two aspects of any of the above could get you to an exact model. I do recommend the access-type background feature - one that gives you access to special places or information. Courtier is a good example of "as the help" access.

Greywander
2022-03-22, 12:01 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents for a homebrew background. I'd make the feature something that allows you to blend in. Any place that uses servants, such as manors, castles, etc., you can move freely around without being questioned, as everyone assumes you're a local servant. You can also converse with the other servants for information. The moment you try to do something normally restricted for servants, such as entering a forbidden area, or trying to walk off with something, people will start noticing and question you.

This would make you a good scout or infiltrator, but only under those specific circumstances. It wouldn't actually make you stealthy or good at any kind of thievery or assassination, though, so if you blow your cover, you might be in a bad way. Could combine well with something like an Assassin rogue, though, but it's probably more interesting on a class that isn't normally stealthy or social, e.g. a wizard or barbarian.

Otherwise, for something official, Criminal/Spy or Folk Hero might be the closest fit for this concept. I don't think Courtier is actually a good fit for a servant, unless you're a high ranking servant, e.g. the chief butler, the keeper of swans, or the master of the hunt, or some such. Another one that might fit is the Urchin background; servants often use secret passages to move around an estate quickly and out of sight of their masters, and the Urchin is basically that, but on a city level.

deljzc
2022-03-24, 03:36 PM
Backgrounds are really there for two reasons:

1. Rules reasons that offer a combination of skill proficiencies, languages, and tool/vehicle usage (based on the limits established in the DM guide)

2. Character flavor and complexity.

Now most DM's (and the DM guide allows this) only allow backgrounds where the two qualities above to somewhat make sense TOGETHER. I mean really, there should be a logical background choice that provides almost any possible combination (within the rule limits) of skill proficiencies, languages and tool/vehicle usage.

If you don't care about the rules part of it and your background is just about flavor, just ask your DM to "assign" a set of background rule traits that fit with what you are trying to describe.

Custom Backgrounds are part of rules-as-written. So just work it out with your DM.