PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Halfling Wizard cook (1. Edition Pathfinder )

nordsturmking
2022-03-20, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,
i want to make Halfling wizard who loves to cook and eat. Aside from the role playing aspect is there any thing to represent the cooking eating part? I have the cook profession but i have not found anything else, i am looking for feats, traits, or maybe even a class.
all advise is appreciated.

Kurald Galain
2022-03-20, 03:48 PM
Aside from the role playing aspect is there any thing to represent the cooking eating part?

Yes, switch to the Witch class and take the Cauldron hex.

(edit) also, Accelerated Drinker trait.

SangoProduction
2022-03-21, 12:25 AM
Hello everyone,
i want to make Halfling wizard who loves to cook and eat. Aside from the role playing aspect is there any thing to represent the cooking eating part? I have the cook profession but i have not found anything else, i am looking for feats, traits, or maybe even a class.
all advise is appreciated.

Assuming this is talking 3.5 / pf, and not first edition, which would be much harder to adapt to:

I've actually made a couple of Food Magic characters in Spheres of Power. The system is very malleable and almost demands you give it the flavoring on the scaffold of its rule set.

There are a lot of ways to represent Food Magic. But starting with the Casting Tradition, you probably want Skilled Casting (aka, you make the profession check in order to cast), which gives a direct link to your cooking skill.
If you want to go further with the traditions, you can pick up Diagram Magic, to represent pulling out your equipment to cook, although this is obviously inconvenient.

Coy Caster makes it difficult to "cast" in front of people. This works fine, if you're selecting talents that basically turn your spells into potions. It actually works well with Diagram Magic, as the two inconveniences overlap more than they stack. Same with Mental Focus, and ask chefs if they need to be focused to do their work or not.

For Sphere-Specific drawbacks, if you're not comfortable with simply flavoring your casting appropriately, then taking the drawbacks like Transformative Brew, or Necromantic Concoction gives up your ability to freely cast, in exchange for granting you the "turn the spell into a consumable potion" talent. These are available for almost all the spheres.

From there, it's all about what magic your wizard actually wants to cast.

Now. I know you were only talking about more rules for cooking and eating. And really, that's just roleplaying. So I offered the next best thing. Food magic.

Maat Mons
2022-03-21, 09:46 AM
There's a Profession skill for cooking? That's bizarre. What's next? Profession (Blacksmith)? Profession (Carpenter)? Profession (Alchemist)?

Call me old-fashioned, but if you're taking raw materials and transforming them into finished goods, that pretty clearly seems like a use of the Craft skill to me. I'd suggest either Craft (Comestible), Craft (Foodstuff), or Craft (victual) as the name.

Get your skill modifier high enough that you can hit the DC 20 for crafting masterwork food by taking 10, learn the Fabricate spell, and you should be as good at cooking as it's possible to be. After that, the only thing I can think of is convincing your DM to let you re-fluff potions as magic cookies.

noce
2022-03-21, 10:47 AM
I know you didn't ask for RP advices but...
First thing that came to my mind was Halfling Whistler, it's not related to cooking but gives you spare skill points in order to get appropriate craft and profession skills. Having access to survival will be handy to retrieve rare ingredients in the wild, too.

Anyway, the reason it came to my mind was that it is both good and interesting as far as halfling wizard prestige classes go.

Now, the RP aspect that made me jiggle. The PRC requires you to have an animal (for example your familiar) that chatters, like a ferret or squirrell: now put it under your hat and call yourself Alfredo Linguini.
The funny part is that your familiar has as many ranks as you in your cooking skills, so it can cook for real.

nordsturmking
2022-03-26, 08:39 AM
Thank you for all the great ideas and help :)

someone in an other forum suggested to take the alchemist and
" ... ask the GM to change your Extracts on some or all of your Formulae to food instead of liquids."
This in combination with taking the Alchemist as a second class is a great idea, and it is exactly what i was looking for :D

I am not sure if i will take an archetype for the alchemist. i think i is not necessary
I will take the spell sage archetype for the wizard.