PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Hieromonk (be a peach and PEACH!)

Metastachydium
2022-03-21, 07:01 AM
No, it's a real word. Seriously. Look it up or something if you don't believe me! Simply put, it means 'a monk who's also a priest', which is fitting, since my aim here was to create something like the monk, but divorced from the wuxia tradition and casting divine spells as someone in the church should.

And lo behold:

Hieromonk

Alignment: Any lawful.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The hieromonk’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (history, religion, the planes) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Hieromonk

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Vested Touch
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Divine shroud, spells, vested touch
1d6

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Mettle
1d6

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3

1d6

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4

1d6

5th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Guided strike, lay on hands
1d8

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
Stunning touch
1d8

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5

1d8

8th
+6/+1
+2
+6
+6

1d8

9th
+6/+1
+3
+6
+6
Divine grace, providential armour
1d10

10th
+7/+2
+3
+7
+7
Greater mettle
1d10

11th
+8/+3
+3
+7
+7

1d10

12th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+8

1d10

13th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+8

1d12

14th
+10/+5
+4
+9
+9
Divine screen
1d12

15th
+11/+6/+1
+5
+9
+9
Rally the faithful
1d12

16th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10

1d12

17th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10

2d8

18th
+13/+8/+3
+6
+11
+11

2d8

19th
+14/+9/+4
+6
+11
+11
Vested soul
2d8

20th
+15/+10/+5
+6
+12
+12
Exaltation
2d8

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the hieromonk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hieromonks are proficient with unarmed strikes, the dagger, light mace, light crossbow, quarterstaff, flail, short sword, longsword and ranseur. Hieromonks are not proficient with any armour or shields.

Divine Shroud (Su)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the hieromonk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Spells
A hieromonk casts divine spells which are drawn from the cleric spell list. Like a cleric, a hieromonk must choose and prepare his spells in advance. Unlike a cleric, a hieromonk cannot spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells.

To prepare or cast a spell, a hieromonk must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a hieromonk's spell is 10 + the spell level + the hieromonk’s Wisdom modifier.

Hieromonks, unlike wizards, do not acquire their spells from books or scrolls, nor do they prepare them through study. Instead, they meditate or pray for their spells, receiving them as divine inspiration. Each hieromonk must choose a time each day at which he must spend an hour in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a hieromonk can prepare spells.

Like other spellcasters, a hieromonk can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Hieromonk. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.

When Table: The Hieromonk indicates that the hieromonk gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level.

Vested Touch (Su)
At level 1, the hieromonk gains a melee touch attack, dealing the amount of damage indicated in Table: The Hieromonk. A hieromonk applies can apply one point half of his Wisdom modifier (rather than his Strength modifier) to this damage.

Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level or higher if a hieromonk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a hieromonk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless hieromonk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Mettle (Ex)
The hieromonk's special blessing allows him to shrug off magical effects that would otherwise damage or harm him. If a hieromonk of at least 2nd level makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, he suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only those spells with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar entries can be negated through this ability.

Guided Strike (Su)
Starting at 5th level, a hieromonk can add half his Wisdom modifier (rounded down) to attack rolls.

Lay on Hands (Su)
Beginning at 5th level, a hieromonk with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to his hieromonk level × his Charisma bonus. A hieromonk may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

Stunning Touch (Su)
At level 6, a hieromonk gains to ability to apply the benefit of the Stunning Fist feat to his Vested Touch attacks. He must declare that he is using this ability before he makes his attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). A hieromonk may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to his hieromonk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels he has in classes other than hieromonk.

Divine Grace (Su)
At 9th level, a hieromonk gains a bonus equal to his Wisdom modifier on all saving throws.

Deflect Arrows
A 9th level hieromonk gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Providential Armour (Su)
Once per round, a hieromonk of at least 9th level can call on his god to shield him from harm as an immediate action, gaining DR 10/– against a single ranged weapon attack that would have otherwise hit him.

Greater Mettle (Ex)
At 10th level, a hieromonk’s mettle ability improves. Henceforth, even when he fails a Fortitude or Will save, he only suffers the reduced effect of a harmful spell.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
At 10th level, a hieromonk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless hieromonk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Divine Screen (Su)
At level 14 or higher, a hieromonk automatically confers an AC bonus equal to half his Charisma Wisdom modifier to all allies within 20 feet of him.

Rally the Faithful (Su)
Starting at 15th level, a hieromonk can utter a brief religious slogan as a free action; all allies that can hear him gain a bonus to all saves equal to the hieromonk's Charisma modifier. This effect persists for 1 round per 5 hieromonk levels. Each day, a hieromonk can use this ability a number of times equal to his Wisdom modifer.

Vested Soul (Su)
At 19th level, a hieromonk gains spell resistance equal to his current hieromonk level + 15. In order to affect the hieromonk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the hieromonk’s spell resistance.

Exaltation
A 20th level hieromonk is forevermore treated as an outsider with the lawful subtype for the purpose of spells and magical effects whenever it is beneficial to him. In addition, he gains DR 10/chaotic, and he can survive indefinitely without food, water, sleep and air without suffering any ill effect.

Silva Stormrage
2022-03-21, 11:47 AM
Interesting if simple concept. Pretty straightforward design space so not too much to add but here are some comments.

Mechanical:
Vested Touch: Why did you restrict the wisdom modifier to damage so heavily? It doesn't seem like doing 1d6+wis damage is busted at 1st level even on a touch attack. I would also like to see some kind of healing aspect introduced to Vested Touch, perhaps a Wis Mod/Day you can use it to heal instead of dealing damage. Maybe use it to restore ability damage/drain at higher levels. Just something to tie it to the class a bit more.

Spells per day. This class has a very low amount of spells per day. I would increase it to the amount bards get at the very least.

Fluff:
Why did you include evasion/deflect arrow? Those seem pretty odd for the class frankly and it seems like they were just a holdover from core monk. I might suggest adding some kind of divine grace like ability instead or perhaps a divine shield they can use in place of deflect arrow (Maybe 1/Round gain DR/Resistance against one attack). Ninja dodging or deflecting arrows seems a bit out of character for what this class seems to want to do.

Metastachydium
2022-03-21, 02:52 PM
Interesting if simple concept. Pretty straightforward design space so not too much to add but here are some comments.

And I'm mighty grateful for them!

Mechanical:
Vested Touch: Why did you restrict the wisdom modifier to damage so heavily? It doesn't seem like doing 1d6+wis damage is busted at 1st level even on a touch attack. I would also like to see some kind of healing aspect introduced to Vested Touch, perhaps a Wis Mod/Day you can use it to heal instead of dealing damage. Maybe use it to restore ability damage/drain at higher levels. Just something to tie it to the class a bit more.

Spells per day. This class has a very low amount of spells per day. I would increase it to the amount bards get at the very least.

I tried to be conservative on both counts (because of the Touch being, well, a touch and because the class is a prepared caster using the cleric spell list, respectively). I'll fix the Touch and think about the spell slots.

Fluff:
Why did you include evasion/deflect arrow? Those seem pretty odd for the class frankly and it seems like they were just a holdover from core monk.

That's right! I had to actively stop myself from giving this fast movement.

I might suggest adding some kind of divine grace like ability instead or perhaps a divine shield they can use in place of deflect arrow (Maybe 1/Round gain DR/Resistance against one attack). Ninja dodging or deflecting arrows seems a bit out of character for what this class seems to want to do.

And yes, they have to go. I'll come up with something (i.e. I'll probably just use some variant of your perfectly good suggestions).

LecternOfJasper
2022-03-31, 10:00 AM
It feels odd that abilities based off of Charisma start around level 14, but otherwise this looks really good! I agree that Mettle should be used more often, Evasion does not really fit this concept.

Any chance we can get that shield to apply to melee attacks as well? I recognize that's better than the normal monk, but I don't consider that a useful balance consideration :smallbiggrin:

Metastachydium
2022-03-31, 01:40 PM
It feels odd that abilities based off of Charisma start around level 14

Well, technically Lay on Hands comes online at level 5, but yeah. Should I switch Divine Screen over to Wis or half-Wis (I'd keep Rally the Faithful as it is; a Cha-based rallying cry feels more organic than a Wis-based one)?

I agree that Mettle should be used more often

Too true! (Does anything ever get an improved version of it?)

Any chance we can get that shield to apply to melee attacks as well? I recognize that's better than the normal monk, but I don't consider that a useful balance consideration :smallbiggrin:

Fair enough. I'll tweak the wording. I've found a heap of typos and such in the text anyway.

but otherwise this looks really good!

Thank you (for the feedback and your seal of approval alike)!

LecternOfJasper
2022-04-01, 08:12 AM
Well, technically Lay on Hands comes online at level 5, but yeah. Should I switch Divine Screen over to Wis or half-Wis (I'd keep Rally the Faithful as it is; a Cha-based rallying cry feels more organic than a Wis-based one)?

Aww jeez, forgot about Lay on Hands at that point. Keeping that and Rally the Faithful as Charisma-based makes sense then.

Divine screen could reasonably be either way, depending on how large of a buff you want it to be. Most of the abilities given seem like they are melee-oriented, so any tank you are near getting an extra 4-10 AC from your Wisdom is pretty large at high levels. I can't see someone playing this and focusing on Charisma too heavily though, so a charisma bonus between 2 and 5 might apply. Depends on how much stats scale, which I don't really have a good grasp of for higher level play (like, magic item wise).

Metastachydium
2022-04-04, 05:00 AM
Aww jeez, forgot about Lay on Hands at that point. Keeping that and Rally the Faithful as Charisma-based makes sense then.

Divine screen could reasonably be either way, depending on how large of a buff you want it to be. Most of the abilities given seem like they are melee-oriented, so any tank you are near getting an extra 4-10 AC from your Wisdom is pretty large at high levels. I can't see someone playing this and focusing on Charisma too heavily though, so a charisma bonus between 2 and 5 might apply.

Hm. I think I'll make it more SAD-ish and tentatively use half-WIS then.

Nurd_Ferguson
2022-04-04, 11:56 AM
I really like this, looks fun, but mostly because it is a fresh balance not because it is crazy overpowered. For the touch attack, what kind of damage is that? Is it treated as an unarmed strike for feats? Or is it positive energy? Radiant damage? HOLY FLAMING FINGERTIPS!?!? I actually like the idea of it being positive energy, but I think that would be problematic both for infinite healing and for it to only be useful against undead enemies. It just doesn't seem like it should be bludgeoning.

Metastachydium
2022-04-04, 04:18 PM
I really like this, looks fun, but mostly because it is a fresh balance not because it is crazy overpowered.

Why, thank you!

For the touch attack, what kind of damage is that? Is it treated as an unarmed strike for feats? Or is it positive energy? Radiant damage? HOLY FLAMING FINGERTIPS!?!? I actually like the idea of it being positive energy, but I think that would be problematic both for infinite healing and for it to only be useful against undead enemies. It just doesn't seem like it should be bludgeoning.

HOLY FLAMING FINGERTIPS, naturally! Kind of like the divine half of the damage dealt by Flame Strike. Or that was the intention, anyway. I did consider something like Searing Light's damage, but the class isn't actually alignment-locked on the Good-Evil axis.