PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a third-party supplement with an Executioner Base Class

EndlessKng
2022-03-21, 07:27 AM
As the title says. I had a supplement on an old PC that has some issues at the moment that included, among other things, a base-class themed on the idea of being a licensed/chartered/officially-named executioner - not the Slayer archetype. It may have been 3.5 or PF 1e; I think it was PF, but that could be wrong. A couple notable features I do recall:

Members of the class had the "right" to take on odd-jobs and other miscellaneous tasks for extra income
The class was one that was largely upopular in their villages - very much tainted by the profession
I could be wrong, but I believe they got to wear a mask of some kind as part of the class features
The class didn't necessarily HAVE to be evil, IIRC, though I think they may have had an alignment restriction away from being good

Sadly, I'm not able to figure out which of the supplements I own it was, or if it was even a published 3rd party book (versus a well-made fan PDF) and my searches have tended to wrap back around to the aforementioned Slayer archetype. Does this class ring a bell with anyone? Can you point me in the direction of the book this is from, or at least a place I might find the class?

Telonius
2022-03-21, 07:42 AM
This list (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?238612-A-Complete-List-of-3-5-3rd-Party-Base-Classes-(over-400!)) says there's an Executioner class in Iron Heroes.

EndlessKng
2022-03-21, 07:58 AM
This list (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?238612-A-Complete-List-of-3-5-3rd-Party-Base-Classes-(over-400!)) says there's an Executioner class in Iron Heroes.

Huh! Did not know of that list. Sadly, on review, that is not the class I am looking for, but that's still very helpful. Thank you!

StSword
2022-03-21, 12:35 PM
Alternate Paths: Skills From Little Red Goblin Games

including the classes Executioner, Professor, Puppeteer, and Ritualist.

And yes the Executioner can take other jobs like barber as a class feature.

EndlessKng
2022-03-21, 01:13 PM
Alternate Paths: Skills From Little Red Goblin Games

including the classes Executioner, Professor, Puppeteer, and Ritualist.

And yes the Executioner can take other jobs like barber as a class feature.

...I hate that I somehow skipped over this when searching. That's the one. Re-reading it now, even the page border is familiar - I knew it was more colorful but couldn't remember HOW. Thank you!

Particle_Man
2022-03-21, 09:53 PM
Reminds me a bit of the Gene Wolfe Book of the New Sun Tetrology which had an Executioner/Torturer as a protagonist. That was detailed in an rpg but as a GURPS supplement.

StSword
2022-03-22, 12:59 AM
Considering I'm pretty sure torturer is one of the side jobs Executioners can get, I can't rule out that the good folks at Little Red Goblin Games weren't inspired by that series.

Or going to the same roots, because while hardly an expert I imagine someone in the history of time has had both executioner and torturer on their resume.

EndlessKng
2022-03-22, 10:07 PM
Considering I'm pretty sure torturer is one of the side jobs Executioners can get, I can't rule out that the good folks at Little Red Goblin Games weren't inspired by that series.

Or going to the same roots, because while hardly an expert I imagine someone in the history of time has had both executioner and torturer on their resume.

I did some research on the topic myself, and while internet history is always to be taken with a grain of salt, my searches were indicating that this is in fact the case - minus certain magical talents and the twisting of the profession to fit in a class format, a lot of what was listed seems to have been inspired by real world executioners, including being used to torture, them acting as barber-surgeons, and even the droit de havage, which seems to have been something that contributed to the stigma of the profession (while also being somewhat needed due to no standard pay for it for most of western history).