PDA

View Full Version : Druid using Pact Magic

Sorinth
2022-03-21, 11:34 AM
In a recent thread about Rangers switching to Pact Magic I mentioned it as something that I like for Druids and some posters asked about my design so here it is. A couple notes, this hasn't been finalized or play tested so it's still a little rough, also one of the design goals was to minimize any changes to the subclasses (I actually think moving Moon Druid completely into the invocations makes some sense but won't be covered). Anyways here goes.

Spellcasting replaced by Pact Magic, Mystic Arcanum, and Invocations using the same progression as Warlocks
Ritual Casting remains the same
Haven't decided on whether to switch to use Spells Known or stay with Spells Prepared
Land Druid's Natural Recovery would have to change, most likely to have a 1/LR as an action recover a pact magic slot.

The bulk of the redesign is of course the Invocations. There's lots of room for more utility ones, maybe at will Animal Messenger, double the range of Locate spells, maybe a free once per LR casting of some spells. There should probably be some in the level 15 range as well but hadn't quite figured out what I want from the really high level druids. Also I'm terrible with naming stuff.

Dreamer. Sleep and Catnap are added to your Druid spell list
I found the Warlock version of add to your spell list rather lackluster, but with a couple spells focused around a theme it might be more interesting to take. Though I'm also considering a single spell that is one free cast in addition to being added to the spell listCaller. When casting Thorn Whip the whip can appear and lash out from any location on the ground within range
Thorn Whip becomes the Eldritch Blast for Druids with multiple invocations to boost it. Compared to EB you have a bit more positional control since you will be able to move things horizontally. However you don't have the multiple blasts stackingFriend. You can cast Animal Friendship at will without expending a spell slot
Guardian. You can cast Barkskin at will without expending a spell slot
Can get this one level early but it's not that great of a spell anyways. It's a solid boost for Moon druids though who probably didn't really need itNurturer. After a short rest choose up to 6 creatures. Those creatures gains advantage on the next attack or saving throw they make
Speaker. You can cast Speak with Animals and Speak with Plants at will without expending a spell slot
Might split this into two, especially since Speak with Plants is a higher level spellStalker. You gain proficiency in the Stealth and Survival skills
Sniper. Thorn Whips range is doubled and you add your Wisdom modifier to damage
This bring the cantrip damage in line with ranged attacks and makes Thorn Whip the EB for druids.Watcher. You gain proficiency in the Insight and Perception skills
Weaver. Spider Climb and Web are added to your Druid spell list
Same reasoning as Dreamer
Grappler (5th). Attacks against prone or grappled targets deal an extra 1d6 damage
Many wildshape forms cause grapple or prone effects so this synergies with that, as well as tactics between team membersHunter (5th). You gain the Extra Attack feature
Without levelled spells it's either cantrips or attacks. This is a nice boost for Spore Druid since they are encouraged to use weapons, but also synergies with certain wildshape formsProtector (5th). Select one damage type from: Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison. You gain resistance to the chosen damage type. You may choose this invocations multiple times selecting a different damage type each time.

Seeker (7th). When casting Thorn Whip two vines lash out but they must attack different targets
It's not EB multiple rays, but helps bring the damage is on par but slightly delayed since you aren't supposed to be a pure blaster Shifter (7th). When you revert to your normal form as a reaction you may immediately use your wildshape again so long as you have enough uses left. Excess damage is still applied normally to your true form.
Strider (7th). Once on your turn you may use 15ft of your movement to step magically into one living tree within reach and emerge from a second living tree within 60 ft. of the first tree, appearing in an unoccupied space within 5 ft. of the second tree. Both trees must be large or bigger.
This is essentially the Dryad's Tree Stride ability
Flyer(11th). You may cast Gust of Wind once without expending a spell slot. When casting in this way the spell does not require concentration. Once you cast a spell this way you cannot do so again until a long rest.
Allowing two concentration effects is strong, but limited to a spell I really like that doesn't see as much use as it maybe should. Doubles down on the control/positioning aspect of the DruidPredator (11th). Your attacks deal an extra 1d6 poison damage
Is similar to Lifedrinker, less damage, worse damage type but it also works with casting/wildshapeTeacher (11th). You may expend one use of your wildshape to cast Awaken without the material cost. This lasts a number of hours equal to half your Druid level (rounded down) or until you use this feature again after which the awakened creature returns to normal, a plant will try to root itself in the current location