PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Analysis of the Utility and Effectiveness of Four Arms in 5e

Segev
2022-03-21, 01:23 PM
Extra arms is one of those features that is often very carefully moderated when it is applied at all, at least to a PC-available race or build. In earlier editions, preventing super-multiattack or dual wielding two-handed weapons was a major concern, which led to such things as the two extra arms often being either cosmetic, or very carefully restricted to holding things without manipulating them, or otherwise limited in utility. In 5e, the loxodon, which has a prehensile trunk that ends in a "hand," has a very limited list of things it can do with it, and explicitly cannot wield weapons nor shields, nor use tools.

While my initial thought was towards a four-armed creature, let's start, then, with analyzing what a Loxodon who has a full 3 usable hand-limbs could do that a more normally-limbed humanoid could not.

The Loxodon trunk is explicitly forbidden from wielding weapons or shields, which hints that this is an area that 5e's designers fear would break with an extra limb. Shields provide the most obvious cause: with three limbs, a Loxodon could wield a two-handed weapon and a shield, or could dual-wield and carry a shield, leading to greater damage output coupled to higher AC, or, with the Dual Wielder feat, an even higher AC still (+1 from the dual wielding, +2 from shield).

Alternatively, a Loxodon could wield a two-handed weapon and a second one-handed weapon. This has very limited utility in 5e, though: dual wielding requires light weapons in both hands, or one-handed ones with the feat, and so it only provides variety for the Loxodon to choose from with its normal allotment of attacks. However, it would permit the wielding of weapons such as the lance with two hands, and another that lets them attack in five foot reach without disadvantage. It would also permit them to have a bow in two hands and a weapon in another, which aids with action economy if they need to switch between ranged and melee attacks frequently. (In my personal experience, DMs tend to be lenient about switching weapons as long as you're not doing it multiple times per round, though, so this is a minor convenience.) It would likewise permit wielding a weapon, a spellcasting focus, and a shield, or otherwise keeping a hand free for spellcasting while still having a weapon and shield, two-handed weapon, or two weapons.

Similarly, permission to use tools would only allow for holding one more thing, effectively, since it wouldn't permit more actions at a time.

Of all of this, it seems to me that the most concerning is the ability to wield higher-damage weapons and a shield at the same time, due to how powerful +2 AC is in bounded accuracy and the general desire to make you pay for that with decreased damage.

If we up this to four arms, I don't think much changes in the analysis. Ability to wield a two-handed melee weapon and a bow, or a shield, one-handed weapon, and a bow, or 3-4 weapons... none of that is much stronger than what's already been discussed, I don't think.

Are there any features for any races that amount to the kind of damage boost that going from a one-handed to two-handed weapon represents? Or which equate to +2 AC? (Tortle base 17 AC comes to mind, but is inherently capped by being a replacement for the other calculations.)

Am I missing any tricks that a fully-functional "third arm" trunk on loxodons would enable? That having an extra pair of arms might enable?

Magikeeper
2022-03-21, 07:22 PM
You could maintain a hold on an arbitrary number of creatures... but only one per attack and they can break free while you're trying to pull that off (or just attack you) so it's limited in use.

You could easily switch between ranged and melee attacks without dropping your ranged weapon.. which would generally mean you're avoiding a minor inconvenience?

It'd be easier to use combat items..? If nets didn't take up all of your attacks that'd be an option (maybe at low levels..?).

Use cantrips while TWF?

----

Since the number of attack actions stay the same it's mostly just the shield thing, yeah. Switching weapons is generally not a big deal.

Dark.Revenant
2022-03-21, 09:57 PM
I largely agree. 1+ extra limbs is very similar to +2 AC, when we're talking about the most valuable thing you can get from it.

An unconditional +2 AC is simply Too Much for any race to have. However, it's a conditional +2 AC, because it still requires proficiency in shields, and it also can't stack on top of any kind of shield-based AC-focused build. If you already have the +2 AC from having a shield, all it does is increase your damage die from 1d8 to 2d6 (at best, and that's only for strength builds; dex builds would have a 1d10 from a heavy crossbow or something)... +2.5 damage per hit is still a very considerable bonus, but it's definitely not as good as +2 AC.

Therefore, I'd consider "Four Arms" to be a reasonable feature for a race to have. Even if you could wield a shield and a greatsword or something. It would just have to be the race's sole feature worth mentioning. Everything else would have to be a ribbon, basically (perhaps an extra object interaction on your turn?). It's more numerically impactful than flight, but it doesn't increase the scope of the character's abilities the way flight can.

Samayu
2022-03-22, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure the loxodon is the best case for extra limb usage. I think a trunk is not particularly dexterous.

I believe that even though you have extra limbs you don't necessarily have the mental discipline to make use of them for extra attacks or skill checks. I mean, a human fighter has two arms, but he can only make one attack. Two-weapon fighting requires a bonus action. The extra attack at 5th level is due to skill, of course. Therefore, I've always been annoyed by the fact that four-limbed people seem to always get twice the attacks.

Now an ettin has only two arms, but can make twice the attacks since it has two heads. This makes sense to me.

Marilith has six arms and a tail, and gets seven attacks. Sure, it's a CR16 fiend, but how do those swords not get in the way of each other? Diminishing returns...

Danielqueue1
2022-03-23, 04:54 AM
Don't forget utility. (Everyone forgets utility) with extra arms you don't have to choose.

Shield and weapon or two handed weapon and still have a free hand for
•somatic components of spells without getting the feat
•grapple
• ranged/thrown option (in case you still have attacks left after you crush the enemies in melee range)
•light source (because darkvision in darkness gives a -5 to passive perception for seeing things like kobold traps and people forget that)
•pulling levers
•lantern of revealing (if available)
•any magic item that requires you to be holding it
•climbing
•sipping tea and mocking your enemies.

•special mention to shield + revenant blade

a lot of things that DMs handwave basically treat PCs as though they have extra hands anyway. But when you start asking the sword and board eldritch knight 'with what free hand are you doing the somatic components of the shield spell?' Or asking how the Dual Wielder drinks a potion and still has that +1 bonus from having a weapon in each hand, suddenly having extra hands becomes a lot more attractive.

GooeyChewie
2022-03-23, 06:22 AM
The one time I played a Loxodon, I used the trunk to hold a lantern. They don’t have dark vision, we went underground, and nobody had the Light cantrip. It was nice to get to use the lantern without taking up a hand, but by no means game breaking.

Naanomi
2022-03-23, 07:45 AM
Extra limbs can handle spell components and/or hold a focus; removing the need for Warcaster in some builds

RedMage125
2022-03-23, 08:38 AM
Surprised no one's mentioned the Thri-kreen in the UA article. They have 4 arms.

Secondary Arms: You have two slightly smaller secondary arms below your primary pair of arms. The secondary arms function like your primary arms, with the following exceptions:

You can use a secondary arm to wield a weapon that has the light property, but you can't use it to wield other types of weapons.
You can't wield a shield with a secondary arm.

So...a Thri-kreen with Crossbow Expert can use a Heavy Crossbow in their main arms, keep a Hand Crossbow in one secondary arm, and still have a shortsword in the other secondary arm, in case they need something for melee. I'd say this one of the better damage boosts.

A Thri-kreen with Dual Wielder could benefit from the +1 to AC even if they had a Greataxe in their main hands, if they had a weapon in their secondary hands. Although by a literal interpretation of the RAW, they still couldn't use two weapon fighting, because Dual Wielder specifies "one handed weapons".

A Thri-Kreen Gish could use a weapon and shield and still have the secondary arms for casting. One could even hold their spell focus, and another for whatever else was needed (light source, magic item, that teacup Daniel mentioned).

Since you mentioned racial AC calculations...Thri-kreen also have a racial AC calculation (13+DEX), and can spend an action to give themselves advantage on Stealth, due to a chameleon carapace. So a build with 20 DEX using a shield has an AC of 20 and is still super stealthy.