PDA

View Full Version : Player Help D&D 3.5 PRC Class Dread Witch , need help qualifying

samduke
2022-03-22, 02:25 AM
just as the title suggests I need help qualifying, prefer use of a Feat over class's that can learn the spell

because I know I can take a caster class and get the spells

presume all needed qualifications ect. to meet or exceed said needed qualifications

Dread Witch
Spellcasting: Ability to cast cause fear and scare

I can easily solve the first part
Feat: Necropolis Born: Cause Fear, Ghost Sound, Touch of Fatigue. DC is Charisma-based

is there one that grants Scare ?

Troacctid
2022-03-22, 02:29 AM
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark is the feat you're looking for, I think.

samduke
2022-03-22, 02:35 AM
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark ( Dragonmarked, p. 141) use of one spell-like ability selected; scare 2/day
this could work not a huge fan of dragonmarks
Are there any others?

Saintheart
2022-03-22, 02:45 AM
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark is the feat you're looking for, I think.

Insert the standard debate over whether a spell-like ability qualifies as "casting" a spell.

A dubious option: Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice.

Magical Training (PGtF): treated as a 1st level arcane caster in some contexts. (This is the most dubious part, i.e. your DM has to agree you are arcane caster level 1st by taking this. If not, ask if taking Practiced Spellcaster as well will qualify).
Precocious Apprentice: Prerequisite is "arcane caster level 1st". Learn Scare. Done.

Troacctid
2022-03-22, 02:51 AM
Insert the standard debate over whether a spell-like ability qualifies as "casting" a spell.
I'm not aware of any standard debate on this issue. Is that a Pathfinder problem? In 3.5, there are specific rules for this situation and they aren't especially ambiguous.

Saintheart
2022-03-22, 02:55 AM
I'm not aware of any standard debate on this issue. Is that a Pathfinder problem? In 3.5, there are specific rules for this situation and they aren't especially ambiguous.

Whereabouts was the rule again? I was sure there was a distinction between the two for the purposes of qualification, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Troacctid
2022-03-22, 03:05 AM
Whereabouts was the rule again? I was sure there was a distinction between the two for the purposes of qualification, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Complete Arcane.

ciopo
2022-03-22, 03:51 AM
Iirc, SLA counts for "caster level X" and "able to cast this specific spell", they don't count for "able to cast this level spell" prerequisites

So a prerequisite of "able to cast scare" would be satisfied with a SLA of scare

samduke
2022-03-22, 03:53 AM
Complete Arcane.

Cite page please

loky1109
2022-03-22, 03:55 AM
Cite page please

Page 71-72.

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-03-22, 01:42 PM
Keep in mind, many Dread Witch class features (notably including the ones that increase DCs and bypass immunity) only work with spells, not with SLAs. So while you can qualify with SLAs, you still need to be able to cast [Fear] spells to get the most out of the class.

Jervis
2022-03-23, 09:17 AM
Mind if I ask what you’re planning to do with a dread witch who can’t cast spells? Or are you just in a class that doesn’t give those spells but has spellcasting? Assuming the latter getting domains might actually be easier depending on the build

samduke
2022-03-27, 12:05 PM
I am using Dread Witch & Dreadmaster to increase Duskblade on the casting front, but I am also using the class abilities

Feats
Southern Magician
Aberrant Dragonmark (Cause Fear)
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark (Scare)
Greater Aberrant Dragonmark (Slay Living)

Feat Options
Extend SLA <- it should be somewhere but google-fu is failing me
Maximize SLA

Gear Options
Orange Prism Ioun Stone +1 caster level
Ring of Arcane Might +1 caster level

What I am looking for now is more uses per day of those Aberrant Dragonmark's, which seems to be elusive.

Saintheart
2022-03-27, 06:37 PM
Feat Options
Maximize SLA

Depending how often you want to use it, Sudden Extend will do this. Per p.83 of Complete Arcane, the Sudden X line of metamagic feats applies to spell-like abilities. There otherwise isn't an Extend SLA ability in 3.5. There's Extend Supernatural Ability, but that requires at least Supernatural Transformation.

loky1109
2022-03-27, 07:02 PM
Depending how often you want to use it, Sudden Extend will do this. Per p.83 of Complete Arcane, the Sudden X line of metamagic feats applies to spell-like abilities. There otherwise isn't an Extend SLA ability in 3.5. There's Extend Supernatural Ability, but that requires at least Supernatural Transformation.

Extend Supernatural Ability is 1/day, too. Sudden Extend is better option.

samduke
2022-03-28, 11:51 AM
Extend Supernatural Ability is 1/day, too. Sudden Extend is better option.

Sudden Extend
Benefit
Once per day, you may apply the Extend Spell feat to any spell you cast, without increasing the level of the spell or specially preparing it ahead of time. You may still use the Extend Spell feat normally, if you have it

this does NOT give more uses per day of the other SLA which is what I need

ciopo
2022-03-28, 12:07 PM
Well, since it's a dragonmark, what about that feat that lets you use your dragonmark SLA with action points?

samduke
2022-03-28, 05:06 PM
Well, since it's a dragonmark, what about that feat that lets you use your dragonmark SLA with action points?

well unlesss you know the feat specific, a quick google-fu says there are no feats that use action points to grant extra uses of any Aberrant Dragonmark - chain

ciopo
2022-03-28, 05:49 PM
Dragonmark mastery I think it was. Might not work with aberrant in hindsight

samduke
2022-03-28, 07:05 PM
Dragonmark mastery I think it was. Might not work with aberrant in hindsight

yeah not only does Dragonmark mastery not work with Aberrant Dragonmark's

Dragonmark mastery
Prerequisite
Any true dragonmark,

Benefit
You can spend 1 action point to use one of your dragonmark spell-like abilities as a swift or immediate action

it also does not give extra uses per day

ciopo
2022-03-28, 10:04 PM
it also does not give extra uses per day
If the only benefit was the swift action, it wouldn't have reason to exists alongside the quicken dragonmark feat, so my reading of it is that using an action point for dragonmark mastery does not consume your "regular" dragonmark uses

Troacctid
2022-03-28, 10:10 PM
If the only benefit was the swift action, it wouldn't have reason to exists alongside the quicken dragonmark feat, so my reading of it is that using an action point for dragonmark mastery does not consume your "regular" dragonmark uses
What are you talking about? It's way better than Quicken Dragonmark. Not only does it work on all your dragonmark abilities instead of just the least dragonmark, it also lets you use it as an immediate action instead of a swift. That's huge!

Saintheart
2022-03-28, 11:39 PM
On a different note:

I am using Dread Witch & Dreadmaster to increase Duskblade on the casting front, but I am also using the class abilities

I get how you'd use Dread Witch to raise the CL of spells, but why Dreadmaster? It shuts down at least one of Dread Witch's class abilities. Dread Witch 2 gives you more powerful spellcasting if you suffer fear effects, but Dreadmaster is immune to fear, magical or otherwise, so you'll never suffer the effect required to increase your Duskblade CL. I mean, I guess you could cast fear spells on yourself since Dread Witch burns through fear immunity, but ...

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-29, 12:23 AM
&

Complete Arcane.

Even without Complete Arcane we have enough evidence imho that SLA are still cast:

1: SLA target and use altered Spell Casting rules.

2: While the way how you "cast" is changed (Components, provoking AoO..), the fact/rule that you "cast" it (the sla) remains unchanged. The SLA rules never changed the part that you are still "casting". Spellcasting rules are general rules for SLA and the SLA rules only change a few aspects. It never says anything that it doesn't count as cast anymore.

Casting Spells are the general rules and SLA rules are just more specific (since they are using an altered version of those rules)..

The Primary Source Rule is always there to solve any rule issues ;)

samduke
2022-03-29, 09:17 AM
well I appreciate the input from folks but it seems that there is not a great answer and I will close this by saying

thank you

PraxisVetli
2022-03-29, 09:29 AM

Feats
Southern Magician
Aberrant Dragonmark (Cause Fear)
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark (Scare)
Greater Aberrant Dragonmark (Slay Living)

Feat Options
Maximize SLA

Gear Options
Orange Prism Ioun Stone +1 caster level
Ring of Arcane Might +1 caster level

What I am looking for now is more uses per day of those Aberrant Dragonmark's, which seems to be elusive.

I don't know how Dragonmarks work but is this feat of any use?

https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Magic_in_the_Blood

Saintheart
2022-03-29, 10:30 PM
I don't know how Dragonmarks work but is this feat of any use?

https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Magic_in_the_Blood

Unfortunately, no: Magic in the Blood only applies to racial SLAs, which Dragonmarks are not.