PDA

View Full Version : 5e young dragon legendary/lair actions

Taevyr
2022-03-23, 11:10 AM
So: I've been preparing a campaign that involves the players getting stranded on a recently-settled island (think iceland/greenland) by a young dragon purposely wrecking their ships/the harbor shortly after arrival, thus setting off the initial main plot. Now, I'm not yet anywhere near the players fighting said dragon on equal grounds, but I'd like to see if anyone here has tips/tricks for giving him legendary/lair actions to use. I've been looking at the MM ones for adult/ancient and how to scale those back, but I don't really have any experience homebrewing legendary/lair actions, which is why I'm here.

The young dragon'll have been present on the island for a few decades, and have the inland inhabitants (essentially halfling inuit: very cozy igloos) as followers in exchange for protection against the secondary plot threat: some willingly serving, some not quite as happy with the situation. He's supposed to be relatively young and a bit reckless, not quite realizing he's merely a big fish in a small pond, but not stupid: He easily gets caught up in the "fun" of actually getting a decent fight and enjoys toying with his prey a little, but he'll flee when he's clearly outmatched and knows to use his environment when not baited/caught up in the battle.