PDA

View Full Version : Exactly How Powerful is a Familiar Casting Cantrips?

SociopathFriend
2022-03-23, 12:44 PM
A relatively simple question but probably not a simple answer.

Per the Find Familiar spell:

Finally, when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its Reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.

I instead want to have the Familiar capable of casting any Cantrip its summoner knows as its own Action while still drawing on the summoner for the Attack Rolls and/or Damage Rolls. However the Familiar cannot gain Class benefits for the spell- so no buffed Eldritch Blast when a Warlock has the Familiar.

Your Familiar still has all of its normal stats and whatnot and still must be within 100 feet of you to gain the spellcasting benefit. To be clear- it is the Familiar's action so yes- you and your Familiar could both use the same Cantrip in the same round as an Action- one Action from each of them.

If this is considered way too strong for a 1st Level Spell Slot then what spell slot would this better Find Familiar fit in?

solidork
2022-03-23, 01:28 PM
It's way, way too good. I guess 5th level, can't be cast as a ritual, expensive components? I think a concentration spell that empowers the target to cast some of your cantrips would be a lot more reasonable.

Willowhelm
2022-03-23, 01:29 PM
For what it’s worth: Manifest mind (scribes wizard) can do this with any spell but with a limited number of times per day.

animorte
2022-03-23, 01:52 PM
I think it is all quite reasonable and balanced. Except for this part:

To be clear- it is the Familiar's action so yes- you and your Familiar could both use the same Cantrip in the same round as an Action- one Action from each of them.
I reference Warlock for the Pact of the Chain. You need to forego your action in order for the familiar to attack. After you acquire the invocation Investment of the Chain Master, you can use your bonus action instead to allow the familiar to attack.

Perhaps when there is an additional feat or class ability in play, being able to do both of them in the same turn would certainly make sense.