PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reworking the Storm Herald Barbarian

Kane0
2022-03-25, 04:12 AM
Watching some Pack Tactics the other day I was struck by inspiration. There are a few Barbarian paths that encourage some aspect of tanking, like Bear totem doubling down on resistances, Ancestral Guardian giving disadvantage on anyone except you or Wild Magic having nearly half of its table either increasing your survivability or hindering foes around you. But what appears to be missing is an area control sort of aspect to tanking, despite an aura based path sitting right there quietly in the corner ever since Xanathar's. So I figure, let's spruce it up a bit so the storm aura does a little control and a little damage, the best of both worlds!

So lets try a second version:

Level 3: Warding Storm
You can expend a use of your Rage ability to cast the Warding Wind spell, which your Rage does not interfere with.
Whenever you start casting the spell, you can modify it so that it doesn't require concentration. If you do so, the spell's duration becomes 1 minute for that casting.

Level 3: Storm Aura
While raging you emanate a stormy, magical aura. This aura extends 5 feet from you in every direction, but not through total cover.
The effects of your aura depend on the type of storm as detailed below, which you can choose each time you enter rage.
If your aura's effects require a saving throw, the DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
The range of your aura increases to 10 feet at 6th level, 15 feet at 10th level and 20 feet at 14th level.

Sandstorm: When you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging all other creatures within your aura must make a successful Strength saving throw or take 1d6 Fire damage and be pulled 5 feet towards you.
This damage increases to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14. At level 10 creatures are pulled 10 feet towards you.

Typhoon: When you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging all other creatures within your aura must make a successful Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 Lightning damage and be unable to take reactions until the start of their next turn.
This damage increases to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14.

Blizzard: The area within your aura is lightly obscured, and when you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging one creature of your choice within your aura gain 1d6 Temporary hit points.
These temporary hit points increase to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14.

Level 6: Storm Soul
You recover one use of your Rage feature at the end of a Short Rest, and as an action you can expend a use of your Rage in order to perform one of the following:
- Grant one creature you touch resistance to Fire, Cold, Thunder or Lightning damage for 1 hour
- Grant one creature you touch a Swim speed of 30 feet plus the ability to breathe underwater for 8 hours
- Freeze a 10 foot cube of water you can see within 60 feet for 1 hour
- Set on fire one unattended, flammable object that you can see within 60 feet of you

Level 10: Shielding Storm
When you enter rage you can select any number of creatures you can see to automatically succeed on saving throws against your aura.

Level 14: Raging Storm
Sandstorm: When a creature within your aura makes an attack against you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. If the attack misses, the attacking creature takes 4d6 fire damage.
Typhoon: Once per turn, you can knock prone one creature that failed their Dexterity saving throw against your aura
Blizzard: Any creature in your aura that you hit with an attack has their speed reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn

When you enter Rage, or as a Bonus Action on each of your turns while raging, you can emit a localized storm around you which extends 10 feet in every direction but not through total cover. All creatures in the area must make a Strength saving throw or be unable to take reactions until the start of your next turn.
In addition, when activated your storm aura carries a secondary effect based on the environment you choose as detailed below. You can change your environment choice whenever you gain a level in this class.

The DC for your aura equals 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.

Desert: All other creatures in your aura take Fire damage equal to your Proficiency bonus
Sea: You deal 1d8 lightning damage to one creature of your choice that failed their strength saving throw. This damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 2d8 at 6th level, 3d8 at 10th level and 4d8 at 14th level.
Tundra: Each creature of your choice in your aura gain temporary hit points equal to your Proficiency bonus

As per Xanathar's

Level 6: Eye of the Storm
Any creature that fails their Strength saving throw against your aura are also pulled 10 feet towards you.

As per Xanathar's, with the addition that your storm aura now extends out to 30 feet and you can choose any number of creatures you can see to automatically pass their saving throw against your aura.

Desert: Immediately after a creature in your aura hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to deal fire damage equal to your Barbarian level to the attacking creature.
Sea: When your storm aura is activated, the creature you choose to deal lightning damage to is also knocked prone
Tundra: When your storm aura is activated, one creature of your choice that failed their save against the aura also has their speed reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn

I would have loved to add in a difficult terrain sort of effect to the aura but I think that is also covered by Wild Magic table #7 and my own Reach weapon fighting style (Barbs of course don't get fighting style but can grab it via feat or MC). Perhaps some obscuring effect ala Fog Cloud or Sleet Storm instead, but i'm not sure if A) it can be comfortably fit in somewhere and B) it might be too annoying for the rest of the party

Loek
2022-03-25, 05:02 AM
Let me start by saying that I'm not 100% certain about balancing Barbarians, as I haven't done much with them yet (both in homebrewing and in playing with/DMing for).
That said, this one is very easy to scope out, in relation to the original class. Namely, it's very much better. This because every feature is either a boosted version of the original or straight up an addition.
Anyhow, let's have a look at each ability.

When you enter Rage, or as a Bonus Action on each of your turns while raging, you can emit a localized storm around you which extends 10 feet in every direction but not through total cover. All creatures in the area must make a Strength saving throw or be unable to take reactions until the start of your next turn.
In addition, when activated your storm aura carries a secondary effect based on the environment you choose as detailed below. You can change your environment choice whenever you gain a level in this class.

The DC for your aura equals 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.

Desert: All other creatures in your aura take Fire damage equal to your Proficiency bonus
Sea: You deal 1d8 lightning damage to one creature of your choice that failed their strength saving throw. This damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 2d8 at 6th level, 3d8 at 10th level and 4d8 at 14th level.
Tundra: Each creature of your choice in your aura gain temporary hit points equal to your Proficiency bonus

What is changed:

The Strength save or be unable to take reactions is ADDED
Desert ==> Damage progression is slightly sped up (from fixed numbers to prof mod, which isn't a bad idea to use)
Sea ==> Damage die size is increased, increase in damage is sped up and saving throw for half damage is removed
Tundra ==> THP progression is slightly sped up (like Desert)

The things I have issue with:

Unable to take reactions = no Attacks of opportunity and prepared actions (and for the mages, bye bye shield). As an ability in a void, this one is interesting, as a "let's throw that in as well" it's probably too much (in other words, if you want this, you should be nerfing the terrain features, not boosting them)
Sea needs to get it's saving throw back at the very least. But frankly, it really doesn't need t the damage die increase. And even the progression increase is probably too much.

As per Xanathar's

Level 6: Eye of the Storm
Any creature that fails their Strength saving throw against your aura are also pulled 10 feet towards you.

Here it's obvious what got added (Eye of the storm). It's a cool little feature, probably not overly powerful... though the fact that it's on the barbarian (who is in all likely hood mister "you don't wanna get close to me") might be a bit much.

As per Xanathar's, with the addition that your storm aura now extends out to 30 feet and you can choose any number of creatures you can see to automatically pass their saving throw against your aura.

So we add:

Bigger aura (something that the paladin only gets at level 18 if memory serves.
A the ability to exclude friends (which basically removes all downsides to this sub class' ability)

I don't see the harm in having a slightly increased range over levels. But this is a big jump and early on.
The exclusion bit I'd drop altogether though.

Desert: Immediately after a creature in your aura hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to deal fire damage equal to your Barbarian level to the attacking creature.
Sea: When your storm aura is activated, the creature you choose to deal lightning damage to is also knocked prone
Tundra: When your storm aura is activated, one creature of your choice that failed their save against the aura also has their speed reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn

What is changed:

Desert ==> Saving throw is removed and the damage is doubled
Sea ==> Instead of making anyone in your aura, that you hit with an attack make a save vs prone, it's an automatic prone, but only against the target of the lightning strike.
Tundra ==> Mostly a rework, basically adding this effect to the general strength saving throw instead of having a specific one for this bit.

Like I said at the start, not entirely sure how balanced the Storm Herald was to begin with, but it better be quite underwhelming for this level of boosting.
I can see that the removal of saving throws was probably to balance out the fact that everyone needs to make that STR saving throw against the base effect.

But moving strong saves (Dex) to a single Strength save (which isn't that common, nor that boosted in many) feels... iffy.

So, my recommendation:

Make sure that the herald is really bottom tier before boosting like this
Or, nerf things when adding new features, instead of boosting features while adding features

Kane0
2022-03-25, 05:08 PM
Let me start by saying that I'm not 100% certain about balancing Barbarians, as I haven't done much with them yet (both in homebrewing and in playing with/DMing for).
That said, this one is very easy to scope out, in relation to the original class. Namely, it's very much better. This because every feature is either a boosted version of the original or straight up an addition.

Yep, in my experience the favourites are Beast and Ancestral Guardian, with Totem and Zealot running close second. Wild is by no means bad, just not as popular, berserker and battlerager are widely panned and storm herald is largely forgotten about.

Unable to take reactions = no Attacks of opportunity and prepared actions (and for the mages, bye bye shield). As an ability in a void, this one is interesting, as a "let's throw that in as well" it's probably too much (in other words, if you want this, you should be nerfing the terrain features, not boosting them)

Well we can compare to existing ways to do this. Open Palm Technique is also a 3rd level subclass feature that does the same thing to a single target with no save until end of next turn, only needing the monk to flurry and hit to trigger it. There is also Shocking Grasp which is an action cantrip that also offers no save and deals some damage as well. The major draw of the storm aura is it hits an area with the tradeoff of offering a save, and it doesnt last quite as long as Open Palm Technique.

I don't see the harm in having a slightly increased range over levels. But this is a big jump and early on.
The exclusion bit I'd drop altogether though.

Thing is, the exclusion is sort of required because of that range increase, otherwise you become a major hazard to your own party. The range increases could be split up though, say 15 feet at 6th, 20 feet at 10th and 30 feet at 14th.

I can see that the removal of saving throws was probably to balance out the fact that everyone needs to make that STR saving throw against the base effect.

But moving strong saves (Dex) to a single Strength save (which isn't that common, nor that boosted in many) feels... iffy.

Yes, if the Barbarian is using their storm aura to its fullest when they rage then it will be causing a str save for every creature in range each turn. I thought that was plenty enough and didnt want to add any additional saves past that which might slow down play unnecessarily.

Str tends to be fairly high on most monsters even if they arent proficient, and I wanted to sell the feeling of being battered by a storm. Low Str creatures are generally the slippery or castery types anyways, which are exactly what the barbarian would want stuck close to them.

Loek
2022-03-26, 04:51 AM
Yep, in my experience the favourites are Beast and Ancestral Guardian, with Totem and Zealot running close second. Wild is by no means bad, just not as popular, berserker and battlerager are widely panned and storm herald is largely forgotten about.

Good to know.

Well we can compare to existing ways to do this. Open Palm Technique is also a 3rd level subclass feature that does the same thing to a single target with no save until end of next turn, only needing the monk to flurry and hit to trigger it. There is also Shocking Grasp which is an action cantrip that also offers no save and deals some damage as well. The major draw of the storm aura is it hits an area with the tradeoff of offering a save, and it doesnt last quite as long as Open Palm Technique.

For the Open palm, they still need to hit (Similar to the STR save) and shocking grasp is an action for 1 chance at 1 target (with again an attack role).
Also consider that for open palm, this is the entirety of their first sub class feature (yeah, they get options, but if they choose to use this...)
Add to that the fact that the barbarian can choose when in their turn to do this (so move in the proper location, then unleash) and having this feature, even without the location effects, feels very strong. (Hell by level 6 they'll be doing the equivalent of 2 of the monk's choices and by level 14 all 3)

It's not game breaking on it's own, but combined with the rest of the (sub)class, it still feels rather strong.

Thing is, the exclusion is sort of required because of that range increase, otherwise you become a major hazard to your own party. The range increases could be split up though, say 15 feet at 6th, 20 feet at 10th and 30 feet at 14th.

How about 15ft at 10th, 20ft at 14th (to keep it somewhat in check) and exclusion only counting for the environmental effects (and maybe Eye of the storm), so that the barbarian is still a problem to be close to, but not straight up as bad to his close friends as to his enemies (whipping up a storm around yourself to hinder your foes, sure, but the rage filled barbarian managing to keep track and exclude his friends from everything... feels meh. Also, like I said, some downsides are both fun and probably needed)

Yes, if the Barbarian is using their storm aura to its fullest when they rage then it will be causing a str save for every creature in range each turn. I thought that was plenty enough and didnt want to add any additional saves past that which might slow down play unnecessarily.

Str tends to be fairly high on most monsters even if they arent proficient, and I wanted to sell the feeling of being battered by a storm. Low Str creatures are generally the slippery or castery types anyways, which are exactly what the barbarian would want stuck close to them.

Understandable, especially with regards to slowing down play. However, changing features from "Target, then roll to save" to "Everyone rolls, you pick someone who failed" is another straight up boost. Sure you might not be able to target who you want to, but at least you'll be sure that your thingy will trigger. (For Storm aura - sea, it's a minor nerf in that you can't target someone who makes their save for half damage, but that's about it)
(Also, for the level 14 abilities, they'll still work, even if they passed their saves, for 2 of the 3. So yeah...)

I'd still say it's too much. So reign in both the aura size a bit, but not back down to 10ft always. Exclusion, shouldn't be perfect in my mind. (and with less aura size, also less of a problem) and the Storm aura - Sea / Raging storm - Desert might not need the boost in damage. And both Raging Storm - Desert and Sea might need wording about failing the STR save.

Kane0
2022-03-26, 09:34 PM
Yes it probably is overtuned trying to combine both the elemental and control effects. Im hoping to not have to separate them into dofferent subclasses, perhaps just make an extra environment or swap the effects of an existing one.

Kane0
2022-03-27, 04:28 AM
So lets try a second version:

Level 3: Warding Storm
You can expend a use of your Rage ability to cast the Warding Wind spell, which your Rage does not interfere with.
Whenever you start casting the spell, you can modify it so that it doesn't require concentration. If you do so, the spell's duration becomes 1 minute for that casting.

While raging you emanate a stormy, magical aura. This aura extends 5 feet from you in every direction, but not through total cover.
The effects of your aura depend on the type of storm as detailed below, which you can choose each time you enter rage.
If your aura's effects require a saving throw, the DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
The range of your aura increases to 10 feet at 6th level, 15 feet at 10th level and 20 feet at 14th level.

Sandstorm: When you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging all other creatures within your aura must make a successful Strength saving throw or take 1d6 Fire damage and be pulled 5 feet towards you.
This damage increases to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14. At level 10 creatures are pulled 10 feet towards you.

Typhoon: When you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging all other creatures within your aura must make a successful Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 Lightning damage and be unable to take reactions until the start of their next turn.
This damage increases to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14.

Blizzard: The area within your aura is lightly obscured, and when you enter rage and at the start of each of your turns while raging one creature of your choice within your aura gain 1d6 Temporary hit points.
These temporary hit points increase to 2d6 at level 6 and 3d6 at level 14.

You recover one use of your Rage feature at the end of a Short Rest, and as an action you can expend a use of your Rage in order to perform one of the following:
- Grant one creature you touch resistance to Fire, Cold, Thunder or Lightning damage for 1 hour
- Grant one creature you touch a Swim speed of 30 feet plus the ability to breathe underwater for 8 hours
- Freeze a 10 foot cube of water you can see within 60 feet for 1 hour
- Set on fire one unattended, flammable object that you can see within 60 feet of you

When you enter rage you can select any number of creatures you can see to automatically succeed on saving throws against your aura.

Sandstorm: When a creature within your aura makes an attack against you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. If the attack misses, the attacking creature takes 4d6 fire damage.
Typhoon: Once per turn, you can knock prone one creature that failed their Dexterity saving throw against your aura
Blizzard: Any creature in your aura that you hit with an attack has their speed reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn

Yakk
2022-03-28, 09:20 AM
Watching some Pack Tactics the other day I was struck by inspiration. There are a few Barbarian paths that encourage some aspect of tanking, like Bear totem doubling down on resistances, Ancestral Guardian giving disadvantage on anyone except you or Wild Magic having nearly half of its table either increasing your survivability or hindering foes around you. But what appears to be missing is an area control sort of aspect to tanking, despite an aura based path sitting right there quietly in the corner ever since Xanathar's. So I figure, let's spruce it up a bit so the storm aura does a little control and a little damage, the best of both worlds!

I'd remove bonus action tax here.

"When entering your rage or starting your turn in a rage".

Second, making every creature make a strength saving throw for a minor penalty is annoying.

I sort of like the reaction nullification. But I tie that to lightning effects.

I don't like autodamage in 5e. I don't like small autodamage at any point, it adds too much bookkeeping for too little result. If someone is modifying a creature's HP, it should as much as possible be in a large enough chunk to matter.

Baseline was bad enough; but every round is going to get annoooyyyiiinnng.

Also, I'd replace the terrain with a storm name.

Maybe:

Sandstorm: Movement costs for creatures of your choice within the aura are doubled, and you can expend a reaction to make a ranged attack against a creature in the aura miss. Once you have done so, all ranged attacks against creatures in the aura are at disadvantage until the start of your next turn.
Typhoon: One creature in the aura takes 1d8 damage and is unable to take reactions until the end of your next turn unless it succeeds at a dexterity saving throw. If it succeeds on the saving throw, you can choose a creature you have not targeted this turn until you run out of creatures or choose to stop. The damage increases to 2d8 at 6th level, 3d8 at 10th level and 4d8 at 14th level.
Blizzard: Each creature of your choice in the aura gains temporary HP equal to your constitution bonus. If the creature isn't you, it gains additional HP equal to your proficiency bonus.

My rewrite attempt:
Sandstorm: Immediately after a creature in your aura hits with an attack, you can use your reaction to force the creature to make a dexterity saving throw. If they fail, their attack misses and they take your Barbarian level in fire damage.
Typhoon: Creatures damaged by your lighting damage from your storm aura are also knocked prone.
Blizzard: At the start of your turn and when you activate the aura, one creature of your choice must make a Strength saving throw or have its speed reduced to zero until the end of your next turn. If the creature succeeds on the save, you may choose to select a different creature to make this save, until you choose to stop or a creature fails the save.

Changes:
Sandstorm: Hits anyone with an attack, not just you. Keep the dex saving throw, but also nulllify the attack if it fails. Consumes same resource as level 3 ability on purpose.
Typhoon: Just add knock prone every turn. Sucks to be you.
Blizzard: No save now. And do the same "keep trying until you take someone out" thing.

Kane0
2022-03-29, 12:13 AM
I'd remove bonus action tax here.
"When entering your rage or starting your turn in a rage".

Second, making every creature make a strength saving throw for a minor penalty is annoying. I sort of like the reaction nullification. But I tie that to lightning effects.

Yep, second draft takes those into account just above.

I don't like autodamage in 5e. I don't like small autodamage at any point, it adds too much bookkeeping for too little result. If someone is modifying a creature's HP, it should as much as possible be in a large enough chunk to matter.

Baseline was bad enough; but every round is going to get annoooyyyiiinnng.

Much like Conquest paladin fear aura? It does feel small.

Also, I'd replace the terrain with a storm name. Maybe:
Sandstorm
Typhoon
Blizzard

I like it! Extra movement cost and denying ranged attacks are accounted for in the alternative Rage use, which i'm tossing up should be an action or bonus action (you spend 2 charges to bring up both on turn 1 and not attack or one then the other and still get attacks in).

I'm also thinking being able to choose storm type per-use is nicer than per-level, gives the barbarian some much needed flexibility so they can go all in on damage or control as the situation dictates.

Edit: which I have just updated above