PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Subclass - Servant of the Apsara

jjordan
2022-03-25, 11:20 AM
Self-scrubbing for reasons

Loek
2022-03-25, 12:26 PM
I'm glad you noted the insanity of the first level increase. So I won't go into it, except that it needs a big disclaimer at the top that it's not suitable/balanced without similar RP downsides.
(Also, vulnerability to cold is a downside, but not a massive one. Making it vulnerability to fire (risk of dehydration) instead, is a much bigger one)

Expanded Spell List
Ceremony - Reasonably "I need worship" RP style, but the cost and limited uses, make this one very rarely picked I'd imagine.
Suggestion - this is already a warlock spell, please replace
Enthrall - this is already a warlock spell, please replace

Apsara's Grace
Interesting and probably balanced-ish. I'd be tempted to still leave out 2-handers and special (net and such) weapons.

Apsara's Wrath
I like the ability, but I wouldn't theme it around the create water spell, unless you give the spell as a known spell for free. Because tying a whole sub class feature into a spell basically makes that spell a tax.
Instead make it an action to cast (like the spell), make it once per long rest (as already mentioned). And make the theming more like "drawing on the waters from your patrons realm" or some such?

As for the level 14... Maybe a wildshape like ability to turn into some form of water creature/lesser mermaid/siren type thing?
Alternatively, something massive with water. Either a control water type thing super charged or a water styled damage attack?

jjordan
2022-03-25, 01:08 PM
I'm glad you noted the insanity of the first level increase. So I won't go into it, except that it needs a big disclaimer at the top that it's not suitable/balanced without similar RP downsides.
(Also, vulnerability to cold is a downside, but not a massive one. Making it vulnerability to fire (risk of dehydration) instead, is a much bigger one)

Expanded Spell List
Ceremony - Reasonably "I need worship" RP style, but the cost and limited uses, make this one very rarely picked I'd imagine.
Suggestion - this is already a warlock spell, please replace
Enthrall - this is already a warlock spell, please replace

Apsara's Grace
Interesting and probably balanced-ish. I'd be tempted to still leave out 2-handers and special (net and such) weapons.

Apsara's Wrath
I like the ability, but I wouldn't theme it around the create water spell, unless you give the spell as a known spell for free. Because tying a whole sub class feature into a spell basically makes that spell a tax.
Instead make it an action to cast (like the spell), make it once per long rest (as already mentioned). And make the theming more like "drawing on the waters from your patrons realm" or some such?

As for the level 14... Maybe a wildshape like ability to turn into some form of water creature/lesser mermaid/siren type thing?
Alternatively, something massive with water. Either a control water type thing super charged or a water styled damage attack?
I'm not going to publish this so I'm not terribly worried about disclaiming the need for roleplay balance. But I am very aware of it. Perhaps instead of vulnerability to cold put in disadvantage to saves versus cold/ice? I started with fire and might go back to it.

Thank you for the spell pointers. I think I'll switch in silence and protection from poison.

I'm still working on the wording for the Apsara's Grace. I want it to be clear that it's only weapons and not other attacks. I'm still on the fence about ranged weapons so I'll look at the special weapons.

I need to tighten up the Apsara's Wrath. I do like theming it around create water, though; recasting the act as hostile. But you're right, if it's centered around that then the spell needs to be a free spell.

Yeah, I'm thinking a water transformation for level 14. Water elemental or similar.

Loek
2022-03-25, 02:10 PM
I'm still working on the wording for the Apsara's Grace. I want it to be clear that it's only weapons and not other attacks. I'm still on the fence about ranged weapons so I'll look at the special weapons.

I hadn't even considered ranged weapons :-/ I'd certainly exclude those (at least when used at range, so the hand axe would be versatile (str/dex) when used in melee, but still be dex only when used ranged.
(The joke with ranged versatile weapons is that they get to use strength, as they already work of Dex. So it doesn't really fit the theme of this ability)

EDIT: Maybe take a look at the optional monk feature "Dedicated Weapon" (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, page 48) and how they've written up their thing. Might help with the wording and maybe also the limits.

I need to tighten up the Apsara's Wrath. I do like theming it around create water, though; recasting the act as hostile. But you're right, if it's centered around that then the spell needs to be a free spell.

Just remember that at that level a warlock has 2 spells per short rest, so if they need to use an ability and cast one of their 2 spells... that'd be rather meh.
If you do wanna make it use the spell, make it so it recharges on a short rest.
Also, think about making it have 2 options, much like the spell create/destroy water. So change it into a drowning spell or into a dehydration/desiccation spell (no duration, heat damage, bonus damage vs water elemental/plants)

Yeah, I'm thinking a water transformation for level 14. Water elemental or similar.

Water elemental should be fine, steal what's needed from wildshape (circle of the moon), though I'd probably have some differences. Maybe only 1 hour duration, but it can be used in increments of x minutes (so multiple transformations are fine). Or allowing the warlock to cast while transformed. Or gain some other tricks (water wings, water tentacles, etc to briefly gain different abilities). Either way, I'd probably limit it to 1hour duration, to leave the moon druid to have their shtick.