PDA

View Full Version : DM Help AITA, Way of the Wicked Edition

atemu1234
2022-03-25, 06:36 PM
Alright, so, for starters, a bit of context here - I've GMed 3.5e and Pathfinder since about my sophomore year of high school. I'm now in my mid-twenties, so my relationship with this game has been far more stable than any romantic relationship I've ever had. I started off learning the rules and teaching some of my classmates, and that was the start of my group.

Most of the members left over the years, and new people joined, others left, we've gone through a few different campaigns, some homebrew, some adventure paths, so on, so we run into a bit of a Ship of Theseus situation in a lot of ways. Still, I'm close with a couple of my friends from the O.G. (original group), and they still take part in some of my campaigns, and others among them have even GMed a few times themselves.

Now, I've been trying to stick to APs for the last couple of years, because as it stands, I need to spend slightly less time trying to come up with adventures for people and a bit more time trying to keep my work life from eating me alive. But old habits are hard to break, in a lot of ways, and I usually wind up homebrewing a fair bit of what goes on in my campaigns, enough so that it sometimes makes the APs hard to recognize, and definitely divergent from the original plot.
One of my players (let's call them R) has been a consistent member of the group since it first formed - the third person I ever taught how to play, first 3.5, then Pathfinder, who has GMed a few times. I've had... issues with them in the past. Nothing too ridiculous - but I still remember the first time they had a PC die, and they stormed off and ended the session early. That was when they were still a teenager. They're only a year younger than me. They've never really improved.

As much as I try to avoid it, there always seems to be some kind of an issue - they decided to target one of my characters in their campaign a while back, because they didn't want a Necromancer character making too many undead, clogging up combat. Wouldn't have been an issue if they'd talked to me about it out-of-game and we'd come up with an agreement. Instead, they threw an encounter about +6 CR above the party level specifically to kill my character, and then got into a huff when one of the players pointed out they'd have to leave the dungeon to get someone to resurrect me.

We're playing Way of the Wicked, now, and the group for this has dwindled by a lot - it's just me, them, and two other players - one from the O.G., but a big sufferer of Inattentive Gaming Syndrome, and another that's a new arrival. I mention my massive amounts of homebrew for a reason. This is my second attempt to run this campaign after the first crashed and burned midway through book one, when one of the players decided a spree-killing in Balentyne was the perfect distraction for an assassination attempt on the paladin running the place. They split the party three ways, a barbarian going on a murder spree, a rogue attempting an assassination, and a psion and alchemist blowing up a grain silo. We met up for a couple sessions after that, but it became pretty clear that they weren't going to be able to come anywhere near breaking the watch wall, and so we decided to shelf it for a while.

That was going on four years ago.

Now, with a new party, R is playing a Rogue (they were the Psion last time), Inattentive is a barbarian, and the new blood is a Sorcerer. They made it through Balentyne alright - though I had to, ironically, let them unleash anthrax on the soldiers to make it work. I shouldn't have, in all likelihood, but what the hell, I figured at least then they'd be on to bigger and better things.

Except, they weren't. Without a healer, I had to give them an NPC healer on behalf of Tiadora and Thorne to make the party not run the risk of dying horribly. For my own enjoyment, I made the healer an updated version of the 3.5 Miniatures Handbook class, instead of a Cleric. That was fine by me, not a big risk, and better to have a mute slave NPC for the players to RP off of rather than the alternative. In Farholde, I've introduced a half-dozen or more homebrew NPCs, to add flavor, and altered existing NPCs, Vandermir in particular, in order to make it more interesting.

Now, here's where things get hairy. The party has... authority issues, to put it mildly. I've RPed Tiadora and Thorne as, frankly, arrogant asshats, and made the NPC healer - who is one of Tiadora's former victims - very sympathetic. The goal here was to push them to try and redeem themselves.
See, I've GMed long enough to spot certain trends in players. From the get-go, none of them was really willing to make the push to RP an Evil character. Sure, they had the alignment on their character sheets, but every time I explained what happened as a result of their actions, it made them supremely uncomfortable. I knew there wasn't going to be a way for them to make it to the end of the AP as-written.

Unfortunately, they still need to get the Tears of Achlys. They've dallied around Farholde enough, I turned Wrecker Isle into an actual hidden grotto-***-dungeon that they needed to clear, and in doing so, they managed to restore Salhain-the-Spider-Waits to life, by bonding her to the Yew tree in Calliver's Green, making her into a psuedo-dryad and region-locked demigod, something of a guardian spirit for Farholde to protect the city from the Tears when the party gives it to Thorne.

But now, we run into the real issues. R has gotten it into her head that the party needs to break the contract with Thorne, effective immediately. And not in some minor, subterfuge-y way, either, but by hunting down the Contract Devil who holds the contract - because they've been metagaming enough to figure it is an infernal contract, even though it isn't, at least not in the "classic" sense - and destroying both the contract and the devil. This has lead to several problems.

First, R expects instant results. I B.S. a ritual to contact a contract devil - Dessiter, who doesn't have their contract. I use it to foreshadow a bit, he sends them a key engraved with a runic "Z" and a warning to stay the course. R doesn't like this.
After the session ends, R sends a passive aggressive group message about how they need a good reason to show up next session or they're quitting the campaign. Why? Because apparently they feel like I'm railroading them after three sessions over two months and an in-game fortnight spent messing around in Farholde. Then they feel like I misled them with the ritual - the whole "why let me do it if it wouldn't accomplish anything?" bit, even though I used to foreshadow future events and give them a useful plot hook later on. Apparently they expected the contract devil to just teleport to them and let them get a surprise round, or something.

But, I can play ball. I send out my own group message, letting them know that if they aren't happy with the campaign - and, frankly, I'm not really surprised by it, given that none of the are content playing evil characters in the first place - I'm entirely willing to let them make new characters and we could do a playthrough of Rise of the Runelords. My logic was that if they wanted me to burn a year of writing for this campaign, then they should be willing to start from scratch with new characters.

Then, while they're mulling it over, R throws a fit. Because they expected me to let them keep their characters from the current campaign and send them off to do something else if they quit working for Thorne. I explain that they aren't in a place where I can write a proper adventure for them if they leave the area they're in, in the time they're at, and especially can't just write a new campaign on the fly right now. I've been preparing for some time for them to break faith with Thorne, but I need them to at least do this part of the AP in order to be able to justify the fall of Talingarde - that way, the players could actually go up against Thorne as a big bad instead of the majority of the plots of the last half of the AP. The Tears of Achlys and the fall of the Vale of Valtaerna would be the best time.
But I can't explain that to them fully without spoiling the plot of the next book and a half. Something which became no longer an issue, it turns out, when R takes it upon themself to explain to the other two members of the group precisely what is supposed to happen, per the book, for those next books. Including things that I've re-written to remove from the plot, or expanded upon, or altered so fundamentally that they're irrelevant. The way they do this is to suggest that nothing they're doing really matters anyways and they shouldn't be doing anything at all, and taking a dump on the other two PCs character motivations along the way.

So, I admit, I kind of snapped. I messaged them about how they need to back off and let me GM, and take a moment to evaluate the fact that I don't GM directly out of the book, and they know that, and how inappropriate what they were doing was. They shoot back that I told the players in one of their campaigns, Kingmaker, about the backstory of the Stag Lord - right after we had already beaten him and were about to kill him anyway. Sort of a different magnitude, especially since they hadn't put forth any effort to characterize the Stag Lord even during a roleplay encounter between him and the bard.

I tell them that the fundamental difference between them and I is that I rewrite ahead of the game, knowing to a degree what the party will want to do, and that by spoiling as much of the plot as they had - all the way up through book five or so - they've given the other players too much of an idea for what "should" happen, versus letting it happen organically - and making my changes far more obvious. I feel like an ass for pointing out the first bit, but I was angry. I then point out they don't know nearly as much as they thought they did, no matter how much of the books they'd read, and that if they felt like they were in over their heads with the plot in Talingarde, then that was literally the entire goal of what I was doing.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, am I a jerk for how I've handled this? I've argued with them a handful of times, but I usually try to make amends after, but I honestly don't know if I'm willing to let this one slide. I'm definitely not willing to apologize for not letting them metagame their way out of a central plot conceit, but honestly, I just don't even know at this point if this player is going to even keep showing up.

Edit: Sorry for the initial wall of text; been a long time since I posted here, forgot how formatting works.

Rynjin
2022-03-25, 08:11 PM
My man, you need to format posts like this so people can read them without wanting to gouge their eyes out. Since I don't feel like going blind, I'll give you the blanket answer: if you do something that prompts you to ask "Am I an *******?" the answer to that question is almost always "yes".

Make the text readable and I can maybe give you a more definitive answer.

Learn34
2022-03-25, 08:36 PM
Being used to reading blocks of text, this was perfectly readable to me.

1) Asking if one is the ***hole is not, in and of itself, evidence of that case. It's just as likely you're the empathetic type.

2) From your portrayal I would say that no, you're not the ***hole and, further, that you should not play with the person anymore.

Zanos
2022-03-25, 08:59 PM
These stories usually have two sides, but I'm also sympathetic enough to run ins with people who are outright toxic in this hobby to know that there are situations where one side is just wrong.

From the information that I have from just you, I'd say this R person is not a very good player. "Lets hunt down a contract devil to murder him" is a really bad idea, especially when you apparently aren't even high enough level to either be or have a spellcaster contact can use planar binding to summon it up for you. I think it might be slightly better to have people make planes checks or something to know that the idea is bad first, and if the players jumped through a lot of hoops to summon this guy and just got some foreshadowing for their efforts, that would be lame, but that doesn't sound like what happened here.

pabelfly
2022-03-25, 09:24 PM
All players need to respect the time and effort a GM puts in to planning and running a campaign and it doesn't sound like R is at all. Doesn't sound like you're the A here.

Perhaps your group would be better-served by discussing together what sort of game you all want beforehand. Sounds like you were running an evil campaign which your players aren't overly interested in playing.

Crake
2022-03-26, 12:06 AM
Alright, so, for starters, a bit of context here - I've GMed 3.5e and Pathfinder since about my sophomore year of high school. I'm now in my mid-twenties, so my relationship with this game has been far more stable than any romantic relationship I've ever had. I started off learning the rules and teaching some of my classmates, and that was the start of my group.

Most of the members left over the years, and new people joined, others left, we've gone through a few different campaigns, some homebrew, some adventure paths, so on, so we run into a bit of a Ship of Theseus situation in a lot of ways. Still, I'm close with a couple of my friends from the O.G. (original group), and they still take part in some of my campaigns, and others among them have even GMed a few times themselves.

Now, I've been trying to stick to APs for the last couple of years, because as it stands, I need to spend slightly less time trying to come up with adventures for people and a bit more time trying to keep my work life from eating me alive. But old habits are hard to break, in a lot of ways, and I usually wind up homebrewing a fair bit of what goes on in my campaigns, enough so that it sometimes makes the APs hard to recognize, and definitely divergent from the original plot.

One of my players (let's call them R) has been a consistent member of the group since it first formed - the third person I ever taught how to play, first 3.5, then Pathfinder, who has GMed a few times. I've had... issues with them in the past. Nothing too ridiculous - but I still remember the first time they had a PC die, and they stormed off and ended the session early. That was when they were still a teenager. They're only a year younger than me. They've never really improved.

As much as I try to avoid it, there always seems to be some kind of an issue - they decided to target one of my characters in their campaign a while back, because they didn't want a Necromancer character making too many undead, clogging up combat. Wouldn't have been an issue if they'd talked to me about it out-of-game and we'd come up with an agreement. Instead, they threw an encounter about +6 CR above the party level specifically to kill my character, and then got into a huff when one of the players pointed out they'd have to leave the dungeon to get someone to resurrect me.

We're playing Way of the Wicked, now, and the group for this has dwindled by a lot - it's just me, them, and two other players - one from the O.G., but a big sufferer of Inattentive Gaming Syndrome, and another that's a new arrival. I mention my massive amounts of homebrew for a reason. This is my second attempt to run this campaign after the first crashed and burned midway through book one, when one of the players decided a spree-killing in Balentyne was the perfect distraction for an assassination attempt on the paladin running the place. They split the party three ways, a barbarian going on a murder spree, a rogue attempting an assassination, and a psion and alchemist blowing up a grain silo. We met up for a couple sessions after that, but it became pretty clear that they weren't going to be able to come anywhere near breaking the watch wall, and so we decided to shelf it for a while.

That was going on four years ago.

Now, with a new party, R is playing a Rogue (they were the Psion last time), Inattentive is a barbarian, and the new blood is a Sorcerer. They made it through Balentyne alright - though I had to, ironically, let them unleash anthrax on the soldiers to make it work. I shouldn't have, in all likelihood, but what the hell, I figured at least then they'd be on to bigger and better things.
Except, they weren't. Without a healer, I had to give them an NPC healer on behalf of Tiadora and Thorne to make the party not run the risk of dying horribly. For my own enjoyment, I made the healer an updated version of the 3.5 Miniatures Handbook class, instead of a Cleric. That was fine by me, not a big risk, and better to have a mute slave NPC for the players to RP off of rather than the alternative. In Farholde, I've introduced a half-dozen or more homebrew NPCs, to add flavor, and altered existing NPCs, Vandermir in particular, in order to make it more interesting.

Now, here's where things get hairy. The party has... authority issues, to put it mildly. I've RPed Tiadora and Thorne as, frankly, arrogant asshats, and made the NPC healer - who is one of Tiadora's former victims - very sympathetic. The goal here was to push them to try and redeem themselves.

See, I've GMed long enough to spot certain trends in players. From the get-go, none of them was really willing to make the push to RP an Evil character. Sure, they had the alignment on their character sheets, but every time I explained what happened as a result of their actions, it made them supremely uncomfortable. I knew there wasn't going to be a way for them to make it to the end of the AP as-written.

Unfortunately, they still need to get the Tears of Achlys. They've dallied around Farholde enough, I turned Wrecker Isle into an actual hidden grotto-***-dungeon that they needed to clear, and in doing so, they managed to restore Salhain-the-Spider-Waits to life, by bonding her to the Yew tree in Calliver's Green, making her into a psuedo-dryad and region-locked demigod, something of a guardian spirit for Farholde to protect the city from the Tears when the party gives it to Thorne.

But now, we run into the real issues. R has gotten it into her head that the party needs to break the contract with Thorne, effective immediately. And not in some minor, subterfuge-y way, either, but by hunting down the Contract Devil who holds the contract - because they've been metagaming enough to figure it is an infernal contract, even though it isn't, at least not in the "classic" sense - and destroying both the contract and the devil. This has lead to several problems.

First, R expects instant results. I B.S. a ritual to contact a contract devil - Dessiter, who doesn't have their contract. I use it to foreshadow a bit, he sends them a key engraved with a runic "Z" and a warning to stay the course. R doesn't like this.

After the session ends, R sends a passive aggressive group message about how they need a good reason to show up next session or they're quitting the campaign. Why? Because apparently they feel like I'm railroading them after three sessions over two months and an in-game fortnight spent messing around in Farholde. Then they feel like I misled them with the ritual - the whole "why let me do it if it wouldn't accomplish anything?" bit, even though I used to foreshadow future events and give them a useful plot hook later on. Apparently they expected the contract devil to just teleport to them and let them get a surprise round, or something.

But, I can play ball. I send out my own group message, letting them know that if they aren't happy with the campaign - and, frankly, I'm not really surprised by it, given that none of the are content playing evil characters in the first place - I'm entirely willing to let them make new characters and we could do a playthrough of Rise of the Runelords. My logic was that if they wanted me to burn a year of writing for this campaign, then they should be willing to start from scratch with new characters.

Then, while they're mulling it over, R throws a fit. Because they expected me to let them keep their characters from the current campaign and send them off to do something else if they quit working for Thorne. I explain that they aren't in a place where I can write a proper adventure for them if they leave the area they're in, in the time they're at, and especially can't just write a new campaign on the fly right now. I've been preparing for some time for them to break faith with Thorne, but I need them to at least do this part of the AP in order to be able to justify the fall of Talingarde - that way, the players could actually go up against Thorne as a big bad instead of the majority of the plots of the last half of the AP. The Tears of Achlys and the fall of the Vale of Valtaerna would be the best time.

But I can't explain that to them fully without spoiling the plot of the next book and a half. Something which became no longer an issue, it turns out, when R takes it upon themself to explain to the other two members of the group precisely what is supposed to happen, per the book, for those next books. Including things that I've re-written to remove from the plot, or expanded upon, or altered so fundamentally that they're irrelevant. The way they do this is to suggest that nothing they're doing really matters anyways and they shouldn't be doing anything at all, and taking a dump on the other two PCs character motivations along the way.

So, I admit, I kind of snapped. I messaged them about how they need to back off and let me GM, and take a moment to evaluate the fact that I don't GM directly out of the book, and they know that, and how inappropriate what they were doing was. They shoot back that I told the players in one of their campaigns, Kingmaker, about the backstory of the Stag Lord - right after we had already beaten him and were about to kill him anyway. Sort of a different magnitude, especially since they hadn't put forth any effort to characterize the Stag Lord even during a roleplay encounter between him and the bard.

I tell them that the fundamental difference between them and I is that I rewrite ahead of the game, knowing to a degree what the party will want to do, and that by spoiling as much of the plot as they had - all the way up through book five or so - they've given the other players too much of an idea for what "should" happen, versus letting it happen organically - and making my changes far more obvious. I feel like an ass for pointing out the first bit, but I was angry. I then point out they don't know nearly as much as they thought they did, no matter how much of the books they'd read, and that if they felt like they were in over their heads with the plot in Talingarde, then that was literally the entire goal of what I was doing.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, am I a jerk for how I've handled this? I've argued with them a handful of times, but I usually try to make amends after, but I honestly don't know if I'm willing to let this one slide. I'm definitely not willing to apologize for not letting them metagame their way out of a central plot conceit, but honestly, I just don't even know at this point if this player is going to even keep showing up.

There. Just add a second enter for each new paragraph to actually separate them in the future.

Edit: After reading, I don't think I'd say you're the Ahole. R needs to learn to chill and stop backseat DMing, or just stop playing. Personally I have a problem with backseat DMing myself, which I solve by just actually being the DM rather than being a player for the most part.

atemu1234
2022-03-26, 08:57 AM
All players need to respect the time and effort a GM puts in to planning and running a campaign and it doesn't sound like R is at all. Doesn't sound like you're the A here.

Perhaps your group would be better-served by discussing together what sort of game you all want beforehand. Sounds like you were running an evil campaign which your players aren't overly interested in playing.

I was completely open about what this campaign entailed going in; I gave them player handouts, explained the setting, and helped each of them write their backstories. I even told them, and I quote, "You are not misunderstood heroes. You are not justified in your actions. You are villains, that's the whole point."

That being said, redemption can be a really fascinating arc, done correctly, so I'm not upset over them deciding that being evil sucks, actually.

These stories usually have two sides, but I'm also sympathetic enough to run ins with people who are outright toxic in this hobby to know that there are situations where one side is just wrong.

From the information that I have from just you, I'd say this R person is not a very good player. "Lets hunt down a contract devil to murder him" is a really bad idea, especially when you apparently aren't even high enough level to either be or have a spellcaster contact can use planar binding to summon it up for you. I think it might be slightly better to have people make planes checks or something to know that the idea is bad first, and if the players jumped through a lot of hoops to summon this guy and just got some foreshadowing for their efforts, that would be lame, but that doesn't sound like what happened here.

The ritual was something I hand-waved in about five minutes of game time; they spent the gold and performed the ritual without any extra game-time taken.

As to the two sides bit, I tried to include the meat of what they said their issue with it is.

After reading, I don't think I'd say you're the Ahole. R needs to learn to chill and stop backseat DMing, or just stop playing. Personally I have a problem with backseat DMing myself, which I solve by just actually being the DM rather than being a player for the most part.

The worst part is, I co-wrote so much of what they've GMed, *at their request*, only for them to turn around and tell me that my involvement makes them less engaged because it makes them self-conscious of their own writings.

I backseat GM only if it's specifically asked of me for this exact reason, and only because half of the people who GM for me are people I taught the game to.

KillianHawkeye
2022-03-26, 09:50 AM
Rule #1 for running a pre-made adventure, no matter how much you're going to alter it, is that the players don't read it. (And if it's something they've already read, then don't run it.)

Reading the adventure is cheating. Full stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Faily
2022-03-26, 10:10 AM
Rule #1 for running a pre-made adventure, no matter how much you're going to alter it, is that the players don't read it. (And if it's something they've already read, then don't run it.)

Reading the adventure is cheating. Full stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Agreed. And also agreed that players need to respect the time and effort a GM puts into preparing a game, even one that is pre-written liked published campaigns and APs are. All GMs rewrite APs to some degree to fit their narrative style and their playgroups the best.

I would say NTA, but it seems like to me that there is just not good chemistry between you and R. Maybe ask newblood if they know someone who wants to get into playing roleplaying games, and then start up a Rise of the Runelords campaign with newblood, Inattentive, plus a new person.

Sometimes it is a good idea to take a break from some players or GMs (even if you get along). I once stepped away from a group I had played with for a couple of years because I wasn't enjoying the campaign, and I didn't want my debbie-downer feelings on the campaign ruin everyone else's fun. I later returned to play a different campaign with that group and had fun again.

R it sounds like needs to grow up a little.

Gnaeus
2022-03-26, 10:34 AM
More than that, if I say I'm running an adventure path, I'm running the adventure path. That pretty much implies from the outset that I'm going to be pushing players in the direction of the AP. I haven't read that one, but if I'm running Rise of the Runelords, and R says, we are all leaving to explore the Mwangi Jungle, my response will be "cool! Who is DMing that and how do I make a character? When that's done we can play RotRl." Is that railroading? I guess. But that's what you signed up for when you agreed to play an AP.

atemu1234
2022-03-26, 11:08 AM

Look, I forgive a lot of metagaming because most people would have a hard time finding a first party or prominent third party AP for 3.5 or Pathfinder I haven't perused.

My cardinal rule is that if you do read the material, play like you didn't and *don't tell anyone*.

pabelfly
2022-03-26, 01:57 PM
The worst part is, I co-wrote so much of what they've GMed, *at their request*, only for them to turn around and tell me that my involvement makes them less engaged because it makes them self-conscious of their own writings.

I would just reassure a prospective DM that writing for a DnD game doesn't have to be terribly complex for a fun short campaign. You can have a perfectly fun time doing something as simple as a quest to hunt down bandits or exploring an unknown dungeon.

Troacctid
2022-03-26, 02:09 PM
Based on your side of the story, R has committed at least three major faux pas here. First, refusing to buy into the premise of the adventure path. You don't veer off the rails just to be contrary and then complain about railroading when the DM shockingly has not prepped an entirely new adventure in 10 minutes to accommodate you. Second, reading ahead in the module to learn all the secrets. That's just plain cheating. It's no different from peeking at the other players' hands in poker. Third, sharing that same ill-gotten metagame info with the other players. Not only does this compound the unsporting conduct, it also damages the experience for everyone else, as they now lose the ability to be surprised and have to struggle not to metagame rather than playing honestly.

So, R is the A here, although there were prooobably better ways you could have handled it—"Fine, if that's what you want, let's restart the whole campaign, then!" is, uh, pretty far from the optimal response to a player complaint. Generally, though, I think R would deserve a stern rebuke based on your testimony.

As a rule of thumb, the DM is never the A for railroading players into biting the hook, if I may mix a metaphor. You prepped an adventure. If the players can't think of a reason why their characters would go on the adventure you prepped, that's on them. Either come up with a reason or come up with a new character. That's how this game works.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2022-03-26, 03:48 PM
My experience with WOTW is as a player going through 1.5 books before the game was derailed by the greatest of "A"s: Scheduling conflicts. I have to say, even for a module, it's quite railroad-y in a grating way. There are fun bits, but if your players don't like railroads and don't like being evil it is the *wrong* module. Seems like a session 0 failure, as well as R being an A generally.

atemu1234
2022-03-26, 05:48 PM
So, R is the A here, although there were prooobably better ways you could have handled it—"Fine, if that's what you want, let's restart the whole campaign, then!" is, uh, pretty far from the optimal response to a player complaint. Generally, though, I think R would deserve a stern rebuke based on your testimony.

Eh, it was less a "let's restart the whole campaign" and more of a "if you don't like this AP, we have other options". I wasn't trying to rage quit or anything, I was genuinely concerned the party wasn't enjoying it.

Kish
2022-03-28, 12:19 PM
It does not sound like R is someone who it's a good idea to continue trying to play with.

I understand why your players, having decided to reform in Book 2 of 6, would be less than happy with "actually you can't reform until after you've unleashed a deadly plague." Not so much why they would express interest in playing Way of the Wicked in the first place. (And I think playing through most of Way of the Wicked and then reforming sounds neat; playing through the first module and then reforming, not so much). And if they didn't want to go along with the adventure path at all, "yes, let's shelve this and do something more typically heroic" is something they should have been all over--not "let's godmode our way out of having to do this." R sounds like they want a holodeck which they can program to do only and exactly what they want, not a Pathfinder campaign.