PDA

View Full Version : What level for this spell? Heward's Humble Home

Danielqueue1
2022-03-26, 09:41 AM
Magnificent Mansion is a wonderful spell 5000 square feet of luxury for up to 100 people. But what about something more humble? Something for a wizard who can't afford their own tower in the big city or travels a lot. What level should this spell be? (And what modifications would you make?)

Spell level ??? Conjuration
Casting time: 1 min
Range: touch
Duration 24 hours
Components: VSM (an ornate key worth at least 50 GP)

When the casting of this spell finishes, You press the Key into a wall or other vertical surface at least 10 feet high and 5 feet wide and a door appears on that surface around the key that leads to an extradimensional dwelling for the duration.

The door has a lock that matches the key used when casting the spell and any copy of the key may unlock the door once it has been summoned (no minimum GP value). The door can be locked and unlocked from the inside without a key. The door itself offers no special protection. The lock can be picked by a character proficient with thieves' tools (DC 13) or broken down with a strength check (DC 16).

On the other side of the door is a modest home consisting of 3 rooms each filling a 10 ft cube. The rooms can be arranged in the order you wish. The temperature inside is comfortable. The first room contains a wood burning stove, a table, and four chairs. The second room contains a bed and a chest of drawers. The third room is empty. Any of the objects created by the spell disappear in a puff of smoke if removed.

The spell may be cast again on the same location while active to reset the duration. If the spell ends, is cast on a different location, or the surface the spell is cast on is destroyed, creatures and objects inside the extra dimensional space are expelled harmlessly into the nearest unoccupied space and the door disappears.

(Maybe add longer duration for higher level spell slots)

TLDR, take mordenkainen's Magnificent mansion and
•reduce area by 94%
•no feast
•no servants
•limited furnishings
• but you can re-cast to reset the duration if you are sticking around the same place for a while. Use it as temporary storage or other creative things as long as you aren't gone for more than the duration.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-03-26, 09:55 AM
5th level. I'd also recommend setting the lockpick and forcing DC to match the casters spell save DC.

JackPhoenix
2022-03-26, 09:55 AM
Galder's Tower (Lost Laboratory of Kwalish) is level 3 spell with 10 times the casting time, only 2 rooms, and isn't extradimensional, with extra room for every upcasted spell slot level. So level 5 sounds about right, just for the added benefits of being extradimensional compared to level 4 GT with the same number of rooms. Or just get Galder's Tower.

And I find it weird the DCs to unlock or break the door aren't based on spell save DC.

Corran
2022-03-26, 10:05 AM
In some ways it's better than tiny hut, cause if I understand it correctly, you could for example try to conceal the entrace and thus make your long rest safer by potentially not giving away your location. Similarly to what rope trick does, though rope trick wont give you a long rest (or multiple ones if you recast, which is something that may matter in the case of a long rest as opposed ti a short rest). So without it being a ritual, I'd probably say level 3 as a minimum. With a ritual tag on I'd probably bump it to level 4-5 (definitely keep it a tier 2 thing though).

Interestingly enough there is a similar spell in dnd beyond, called Galder's tower and if I remember correctly it's a 3rd level spell. Planned it for a wizard I have yet to play. It would be a transmuter and the key component would be the tranmutation stone (planting it and have it grow into a small tower). Heck, I remember liking it so much that I planned a few more spells and proficiencies around it because it seemed too cool/magical to create a small tower, even if it didn't offer as much protection at face value as a tiny hut would. Still, 3rd level sounds a bit low imho.

Danielqueue1
2022-03-26, 12:36 PM
Ah! I don't own the book with Galder's tower in it.
I was thinking about making the DC dependent on the price of the key but felt that too finicky. Spell DC is a good idea though.

What about extending duration for higher level slots? Good or no?

For spell uses, I was thinking a traveling wizard with a bag of holding or portable hole could "set up shop" for a week or so in a new town. Or an unscrupulous one could hide the entrance to his necromancy workshop down a dark alley. Or Dresden style wizard could avoid paying rent just about anywhere. A good wizard could even hide a bunch of refugees from the evil empire in the side wall of an outhouse.

Phhase
2022-03-26, 05:11 PM
There's a spell in 3.5 called Leomund's Secure Shelter (Distinct from Tiny Hut) that conjures a simple cottage, it's 4th level and has a few conveniences. Could be a good place to start for inspiration.

Sigreid
2022-03-26, 05:46 PM
There's a spell in 3.5 called Leomund's Secure Shelter (Distinct from Tiny Hut) that conjures a simple cottage, it's 4th level and has a few conveniences. Could be a good place to start for inspiration.

That one goes back to 1 or 2e. Was always one of my favorites.

False God
2022-03-26, 06:00 PM
That one goes back to 1 or 2e. Was always one of my favorites.

Agreed, the fact that it makes an otherwise unassuming building was IMO superior to the "magic dome" or extradimensional space of other housing spells.