PDA

View Full Version : Busiest character build?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-26, 07:29 PM
Given the new books, what are some of the busiest subclasses to play? I don't enjoy spamming Eldritch Blast all night long so bonus for variety.

The problem tldr if you're pressed for time

My introduction to 5e was playing a Lore Bard and since I've had a few other characters. In combat I found the Lore Bard both challenging and enjoyable.

Most of all, its a busy build though.

Out of combat:
-if another party member is meeting a VIP, you better go bring the persuasion points.
-downtime, you know who can earn some simple coin, the Bard.

In combat things got complicated. Healing Word and Bardic inspiration competed for my bonus action. Concentration always seemed at a premium but boy was the party surprised the first time I did 90 damage in round two of a battle with the Animate Objects / Dissonant Whispers combo. Oh, and reactions. Cutting Words is just fun fun fun. But it did tend to get you attacted the next round.

Leveling up was even fun since picking a spell is like marrying it for a Bard.

LudicSavant
2022-03-26, 08:21 PM
Necromancer Wizards are pretty busy.

Cheesegear
2022-03-26, 08:27 PM
Given the new books, what are some of the busiest subclasses to play?

Basically, anything that casts spells other than a Warlock.

Willowhelm
2022-03-26, 08:31 PM

I haven’t had a chance to play one but I would assume a sorcerer (or other character with access to meta magic) would throw in some extra “busyness” here as it multiplies your options and, with tashas, gives you some real spell-selection homework at level up.

Bobthewizard
2022-03-26, 08:56 PM
I would avoid straight tanks or straight archers (including EB warlocks). I can have fun playing either of those, but combat can get repetitive.

I prefer a gish skirmisher or striker for diversity. I like melee hexblades and bladesingers for that. They can shoot from range, get into the fight when they need to, and rescue the tank when something goes wrong.

You don't want to get pinned down, but you can take a couple hits if you need to, which makes the game more dynamic for me.

If you're talking more action economy, you might need a feat like telekinetic, or spells like flaming sphere or gust of wind to make sure you are using your bonus action.

Kane0
2022-03-26, 09:25 PM
Ive found Artificers to be pretty busy. Lots of actions to choose from and things to spend resources on. Monks too, though both tend to only have one major resource each where you might be thinking something with multiple resource pools like clerics, druids and bards.

DarknessEternal
2022-03-26, 11:45 PM
Any full caster. There's no pattern, you have to do something different almost every round.

A bard that can fight has more available actions than you could ever reasonably use in a campaign.

Mjolnirbear
2022-03-26, 11:53 PM
I was also gonna suggest artificers.

Oddly, I'd also suggest a focus on multiple cantrips. It gives you so many options for the social and exploration pillars. "Allow me to chill your wine, my Lord." "Let's tunnel under the camp of the forest goblins!" "You want me to eat *what?!* Disgusting! Well, at least I won't know what it tastes like."

It's not as useful for combat. Oh there are dozens of things to do with them, but it's rarely even worth it compared to just killing it.

So I'd recommend a sorcerer multiclass, Magic Initiate, possibly a high elf, then MC into whatever best suits you. Artificer with infusions gives you bonus action options, you had plenty fun with a bard so that would work, cleric gives you tons of spells, warlock is just so customizable.

Mine was a sorlock noble, maybe 8 cantrips? The heat wave in Baldur's Gate merely made him ice his drink and those he was schmoozing. No foul stench lasted long in his presence. Mage Hand ensured he never had to reach for the dice winnings.

And you can make it so you have plenty of combat options.

stoutstien
2022-03-27, 07:13 AM
Another vote for artificer. It's busy in a good way

ImproperJustice
2022-03-27, 07:28 AM
Yet another vote for Artificer.

If the party is Rogue Lite you may find yourself cracking locks.
You will definitely aid in Knowledge checks and exploration. All that tool knowledge if chosen with Xanathar rules in mind can really let you explore environments in a whole new way.

Example: Using Chef’s Tools to examine a kitchen and gauge the type of creatures residing in the dungeon, their approximate numbers, and their recent activities based on the age of their cookware and where they likely acquired it from.

In battle the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and you will almost always have bonus actions and in some cases multiple attacks.

Late game, flash of genius is like super inspiration and spell storing item gives you some fun utility options.
I really love the new spell Vortex Warp for it.

And your ability to infuse things or make your own items just adda to your utility. Make a bag of holding and a robe of useful items and now you are a walking Adventure Mart.

But yeah, fun, busy and versatile class in and out of fights.

J-H
2022-03-27, 07:39 AM
Creation bard. Your bardic inspiration comes with a bonus effect, you can animate an object, and you have the whole spell list plus countercharm, and extra spells from a bardic instrument.

Artificer has a lot to pick with infusions, but once the battle starts, you have a short spell list, a pet, and a couple of weapon options depending on subclass.

Cadebrennus
2022-03-27, 06:25 PM
I've had a lot of fun and options with my multiclass 5 Ranger (Hunter or Fey)/3 Fighter Battlemaster/3+ Rogue Swashbuckler. Plenty of options in combat to choose from, including some battlefield control. I even threw in a single Warlock level last rebuild to get the Lightning Lure cantrip (I was tempted to go 1 Druid instead for Thornwhip instead for greater range). I've got push/pull options (Battlemaster maneuver/cantrip) and Spike Growth for basic battlefield control. There's also plenty of options for reactions, bonus actions, and ability to fight at all ranges (melee, thrown, and ranged combat).

Another fun option was pure Wizard, but Dwarven Wizard (Evoker). Free Battleaxe proficiency coupled with Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade gives you a bit more to play with over your standard Wizard, including free medium armor proficiency! I used a feat to upgrade to heavy armor so now I have a Wizard who isn't afraid to wade into the thick ir it.

sambojin
2022-03-27, 10:25 PM
For what appears to be a fairly simple single classed build, it'd have to be a Firbolg Wildfire Druid. So busy, in so many ways

If you don't have your wildfire out, bam, there's your first action and bonus action each combat. Then you cast and BA the spirit next turn. But what if you want to Hidden Step? Then your WF spirit just dodges. What if you have a flaming sphere up, and want to bonus it into an enemy? Same. Or healing word someone back up? Same again. Or if you wanted to cast, then wildshape, then spirit? That's three turns gone, just for you to get rolling.

What do you want to use your concentration on anyway? All your good spells require it...

Then at lvl3 you get summon beast. So there's another action after yours, thankfully. One that just does damage or help actions.

Then at lvl5 there's conjure animals and all its action economy, or summon fey (which comes with bonus action teleporting).

And you can disguise self, and speak to beasts, and detect magic for non-combat stuff by default, on top of all your druid and wildshape and familiar shenanigans.

There's, like, too much going on, and it doesn't all fit into the basic action/ bonus/ reaction thing that 5e provides. Its way too busy if anything, not the most usefully busy (your basic class stuff barely fits into normal action economy, and it's a saving grace you get more action economy later on, not less).

For a more "usefully busy" build, I'd say Firbolg Stars Druid. There is simply so much you can do with them, between caster blasting to wildshape archer-mechas to out-of-combat stuff, they're a real hoot to play as. And their stuff just about does play nicely without completely swamping your bonus/action economy in normal play like a wildfire always does.

Moon druids are nice too. You might not do the most damage, but you do get a heap of HP and *all* the combat styles (other than the martial ones that don't even give you webs or flight or huge size or 40-60' movement speed or charge proning or anything). They're kinda simple, but also really fun as long as you can racial or feat-in a bonus action of some sort. Busy, but not overloaded, where you start as the meatbag, then transfer into a caster with unlimited familiars (with some fun melee options still), then turn into a high-value target grappler/ harasser that's also a good caster. Busy in character progression and combat, but with plenty of out-of-combat utility as well. You sort of evolve as you level, from one playstyle to another (yet can always fallback to the earlier styles) and it's a good feeling. Just more to do, and more ways of doing it, even if it probably isn't the most optimised form of it. Goblin or Herrengorn or Orc or v.human(mobile) or something makes them amazingly mobile and very busy in combat, with the extra movement "just working" so well (and an unlimited amount of times).

Spo
2022-03-28, 04:28 PM
I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I have played some "one-trick-pony builds" that I soon hoped would get killed so that I could try something more stimulating.

Here are some of my thoughts I characters that held my interest the longest:

Shadow Monk/Light cleric. Wasn't strongest damage wise, but exploration and combat strategy-wise, she was super fun as a striker/chaos bringer. Brought her to lvl 20 in Mad Mage.

Shepard Druid: I was allowed to choose my own summons and had a separate book prepared so that I would not slow down play when using them in combat. Also druid spells are very controlly and allowed me to shape the battle field.

Having fun with a lvl 13 Rune Knight right now. Didn't think I would like going full martial but the different ruins available are keeping my interest (started at lvl 11 so don't know about tier 1 and 2 play with this character).

Currently playing a lvl 6 battlesmith Artificer. At level 7 going to start multiclassing into wizard for spell slots and spell variety. Infusions are fun, but like someone mentioned above, can become repetitive in combat. (Shoot twice w/ crossbow and use bonus action to direct steel defender to attack.) Rarely use spells because they are long rest and few slots right now. We are on a hex crawl through a BIG swamp so a lot of random combat encounters throughout the game day.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-28, 04:40 PM
I am not sure who was busier, my Lore Bard or my Life Cleric.

Both were very busy.

Speely
2022-03-28, 05:14 PM
Knowledge Cleric/Scout Rogue build. You're Indiana Jones on crack.

I also played a Lore Bard in my first 5E campaign and it was very much a busy build. I literally had too many options all the time lol.

kore
2022-03-28, 06:19 PM
Shepard Druid: I was allowed to choose my own summons and had a separate book prepared so that I would not slow down play when using them in combat. Also druid spells are very controlly and allowed me to shape the battle field.

+1 on Shepherd Druid. Like the Necromancy Wizard, you have lots of friends to control.

Kenny_Snoggins
2022-04-01, 07:13 PM
I agree with your initial assessment, bards are the busiest class in the game. Both in terms of action economy and just doing stuff in every pillar. I'd say a very pushed eloquence/hexblade multiclass is probably busier than a Lore Bards, especially in combat, but that's a minor point. Also, ironically bards are the only class that will almost always have a mount, since any reasonable person takes Find Greater Steed for a secret, which also means you will likely have a monstrous companion all the time (with all their actions and skills) after your campaign gets into mid tier.

animorte
2022-04-01, 07:45 PM

I take offense to this statement as within my current party: Lore Bard, Twilight Cleric, Barbarian, Artificer, Ranger, sometimes Rogue or Druid.

I'm still easily the busiest character as a Genie Warlock (chain).

BerzerkerUnit
2022-04-03, 07:30 AM
Necromancer Wizard or Shepard Druid.

By level 6 for either you’ll routinely have 4+ bonus action minions and the Wizard adds 1 verbally directed minion in most combats leaving your action to be determined on the fly.

For the necro that’s probably web and then minions can be directed to shove enemies into web, aid allies, or focus fire. Have your summoned undead blast or stink and paralyze.

For shepherd that’s probably focus fire with velociraptors and the using a totem.

They are both great fun but do your fellow players a favor, print out the stat blocks and pass them around to other party members with a standing order to “do what this guy tells you.”

No one wants to sit through you rolling your 16 raptor attacks, but that is the strength of the class.

Skrum
2022-04-03, 11:12 AM
I'm playing a sorcadin build right now (pally 2 aberrant mind sorc 6) that has *tons* to do. I left Cha at 14 and focus my spells on teleporting (misty step, thunder step, vortex warp), anti-mage spells like silvery barbs, counterspell, and then utility options like blink, blur, shield, and fog cloud.

Her offense is one-strike per round booming blade/GWM combo that can easily hit for 40-60, and much higher with crits.

It's a fantastically flavorful mage-Hunter build where every action is a plethora of options, every round