PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Backstory Help

Cowboy_ninja
2022-03-26, 08:01 PM
So we're starting new characters at lvl 9.

My DM is really into the backstory thing.

I'm having trouble gauging appropriate exploits. If my lvl 9 character is boasting about defeating a dragon.... ancient dragon? Youngling dragon? What CR should I be looking at?

Unoriginal
2022-03-26, 08:06 PM
So we're starting new characters at lvl 9.

My DM is really into the backstory thing.

I'm having trouble gauging appropriate exploits. If my lvl 9 character is boasting about defeating a dragon.... ancient dragon? Youngling dragon? What CR should I be looking at?

Well, depends when in their career they did it.

A lvl 8 character could reasonably claim to have fought a CR 5 enemy alone and won, for example, but it most likely would still be a gruelling fight that could have ended the other way easily.

Keltest
2022-03-26, 08:09 PM
If its just boasting, does it need to be true? Plenty of people have exaggerated or invented their deeds. Maybe you found the remains of a fight between two ancient dragons and took the abandoned skull of the loser.

Cowboy_ninja
2022-03-26, 10:26 PM
Well, depends when in their career they did it.

A lvl 8 character could reasonably claim to have fought a CR 5 enemy alone and won, for example, but it most likely would still be a grueling fight that could have ended the other way easily.

I'm running an elf who is almost into his 3 century of life. His background story is being a celebrity hero/adventurer. So I'm trying to come up with some impressive exploits for him to brag about.

Cowboy_ninja
2022-03-26, 10:29 PM
If its just boasting, does it need to be true? Plenty of people have exaggerated or invented their deeds. Maybe you found the remains of a fight between two ancient dragons and took the abandoned skull of the loser.

True, I'm just trying to keep them within the realm of believable'ish. I wanna know how big I can go.

Evaar
2022-03-26, 11:35 PM
True, I'm just trying to keep them within the realm of believable'ish. I wanna know how big I can go.

Young through Adult. Adult would be with help and some luck.

Tawmis
2022-03-27, 12:56 AM
I heard there's a guy on the forum who writes backstories for people's characters, for free. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up)

Not sure if ye can trust the lad, though. Seems sus. :smallwink: