PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade / Psi-Warrior any interactions I need to be aware of?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-26, 11:56 PM
I'm going to try another character who has telekinetic powers and a glowing green sword. Melee Dex Combat will be different for me and I have a few questions.

To make a Non Eldritch Blast Hexblade Psi-Warrior what action economies do I need to keep an eye out for?

For example, I think I can stack Hex and Green-Flame Blade to make a strong melee hit with a glowing green rapier. Not to mention involving the Hexblade Curse occasionally if I can work out the Bonus Action situation.

Does Green-Flame Blade stay relevant at higher levels after I get multi attack?

What else do I need to think about?

Chad.e.clark
2022-03-27, 12:31 AM
I believe off the top of my head (and with leaving the math to others) , if using Hex and leaning more heavily into Fighter levels, Extra Attack (especially with Action Surge and Extra Attack x2) will beat out Green Flame Blade for damage.

If you are wanting more of a green flame'd blade for fluff, perhaps take the Improved Pact Weapon invocation at Warlock 3 and describe sickly eldritch flames and smoke pouring out of the blade, which get further enhanced with Hex and Hexblade's Curse.

Bobthewizard
2022-03-27, 07:24 AM
Hexblade 5/Psi Warrior 3/Hexblade 17

Elf or half-elf Hexblade X/ Fighter 2-3 makes an incredible heavy weapon wielder. It lets you combine elven accuracy's triple advantage to offset the -5 to hit of great weapon master.

Elven accuracy/GWM feats with Hexbalde's Curse/Thirsting Blade/Lifedrinker/Eldritch Smite

Use darkness/devil's sight, shadow of moil and eventually foresight to get advantage, which becomes triple advantage, then you add Cha x2, Proficiency bonus from hex blade's curse, and +10 for GWM. Then action surge once per short rest to get two additional attacks.

PAM can add a bonus action attack if you want, but I'd get EA, GWM and max Cha first.

With Psionic warrior, you get a reaction defense, an extra mini smite that I'd add to crits, and an out of combat telekinesis. I don't see any action economy conflicts with this build. I'd use green flame blade until I got thirsting blade, but not after that.

Fighter 1/Hexblade 1/Fighter 11/Hexblade 9

If you are looking to take more fighter than warlock, this would work. Replacing lifedrinker with a third attack. I think the other build would be more fun in tier 2 and 3, but if you like the 7th level Psi warrior features, this build would work.

Again, GFB just until you get extra attack, but not after that.

RogueJK
2022-03-27, 11:30 AM
Does Green-Flame Blade stay relevant at higher levels after I get multi attack?

Not really.

Compare, assuming 18 CHA at Level 5:

Two Adjacent enemies, using Extra Attack:
Enemy 1: 1d8+4
Enemy 2: 1d8+4
17 total average damage

Two adjacent enemies using GFB:
Enemy 1: 2d8+4
21.5 total average damage

Two adjacent enemies using GFB with one enemy Hexed:
Enemy 1 (Hexed): 2d8+1d6+4
25 total average damage

Focus fire on one Hexed enemy, using Extra Attack:
Enemy 1 (Hexed): 2d8+2d6+8
24 total damage
(The damage from focusing fire on one enemy using Extra Attack is also further boosted if using Hexblade's Curse on that enemy too.)

However, you won't always be presented with a situation in which you'll have two immediately adjacent enemies. And even when you are facing two immediately adjacent enemies, note that your overall damage average will be higher when utilizing Extra Attack, since it allows for multiple attack rolls each turn, whereas GFB only allows one. So GFB is all-or-nothing for damage each turn (hit or miss), whereas Extra Attack allow for full damage (2 hits), partial damage (only 1 hit), or no damage (2 misses). Extra Attack also gives you an extra chance to Crit too, especially with the expanded crit range of Hexblade's Curse.

Besides, in D&D, it's generally better to focus damage to take down enemies one at a time than to spread damage out between multiple enemies. It's better to have one dead enemy and one full HP enemy than two half-HP enemies, since an enemy with even just 1 HP still has its full capabilities to use against the party. And Hex's single-target damage boost further rewards this "focus fire" tactic.

Therefore, GFB won't be of really any use after you get Extra Attack. Whereas Booming Blade could retain some use after Extra Attack, if you were to also take the Warcaster feat to be able to use BB to add damage to OAs and further punish enemies for continuing to move away.

CMCC
2022-03-27, 04:16 PM
Not really.

Compare, assuming 18 CHA at Level 5:

Two Adjacent enemies, using Extra Attack:
Enemy 1: 1d8+4
17 total average damage

Two adjacent enemies using GFB:
Enemy 1: 2d8+4
21.5 total average damage

Two adjacent enemies using GFB with one enemy Hexed:
Enemy 1 (Hexed): 2d8+1d6+4
25 total average damage

Focus fire on one Hexed enemy, using Extra Attack:
Enemy 1 (Hexed): 2d8+2d6+8
24 total damage
(The damage from focusing fire on one enemy using Extra Attack is also further boosted if using Hexblade's Curse on that enemy too.)

However, you won't always be presented with a situation in which you'll have two immediately adjacent enemies. And even when you are facing two immediately adjacent enemies, note that your overall damage average will be higher when utilizing Extra Attack, since it allows for multiple attack rolls each turn, whereas GFB only allows one. So GFB is all-or-nothing for damage each turn (hit or miss), whereas Extra Attack allow for full damage (2 hits), partial damage (only 1 hit), or no damage (2 misses). Extra Attack also gives you an extra chance to Crit too, especially with the expanded crit range of Hexblade's Curse.

Besides, in D&D, it's generally better to focus damage to take down enemies one at a time than to spread damage out between multiple enemies. It's better to have one dead enemy and one full HP enemy than two half-HP enemies, since an enemy with even just 1 HP still has its full capabilities to use against the party. And Hex's single-target damage boost further rewards this "focus fire" tactic.

Therefore, GFB won't be of really any use after you get Extra Attack. Whereas Booming Blade could retain some use after Extra Attack, if you were to also take the Warcaster feat to be able to use BB to add damage to OAs and further punish enemies for continuing to move away.

You’re not factoring in chance to hit, crits etc (I’m assuming). The auto hit on gfb makes a difference and can give a 20-30% boost in damage (on that strike) depending on to hit chance.

Mutbore
2022-03-28, 02:50 AM
If you want for GFB to always be relevant consider taking levels in rogue instead of fighter. With one attack it doesn't feel like you're missing out on damage when using GFB but you remain competitive DPR-wise d/t SA. Swashbuckler works well but I'd steer clear of Soulknife because of the weird interactions with Psychic Blades and the opportunity cost for using GFB when you have the Psychic Blades BA attack. Don't know how much you want to play around the psychic aspect, but you could take the telekinesis/telekinetic feats from Tasha's to get some of that flavor.

Waazraath
2022-03-28, 03:30 AM
An alternative build would be Abberant Mind Sorcerer x / Celestial Warlock (at least 6) / Paladin 2 (not in this order - that depends a bit on what abilities you want to have first). You would still use GFB and and have psi-powers (the latter through abberant mind), but without using Psi-Warrior. GFB stays useful, because 1) you can quicken it (for 2 attacks), 2) you get extra damage (+cha on fire damage), 3) you can use smite spells (searing smite for 1d6, + cha due to celestial warlock - bonus action so not on the same turn as quicken though). You will spent a lot of resources (sorcery points and spell slots) on increasing damage, but when you do stay compatitive I think (depending on encounters/day though). Build will work better as a str melee than dex melee though.