PDA

View Full Version : This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

The Extinguisher
2007-11-24, 12:13 PM
And so, just like Firefly and Dead Like Me before it, Reaper has join the ranks of shows that were just too good for the networks.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/837/837101p1.html

Reaper is being cancelled. And not even a full season in. I can't say I didn't see it coming. It was too good of a show to last, but it's not even halfway through. I mean, even Firefly lasted 11 episodes. Reaper got nine.

And for One Tree Hill? Honestly?

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-24, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty surprised ... not that I know anything about Reaper, but that the networks are cancelling anything with the WGA strike going on. You'd think they would at least finish off the episodes they have left. I don't think any other show has been cancelled yet (although I could be wrong), which I attributed to the strike. If it is the first show to be cancelled, that really sucks to be the first one. Even if it isn't the first one, my condolences to Reaper fans, since I've watched way too many shows over the years that have been cancelled.

Stupid network executives.

Green Bean
2007-11-24, 12:35 PM
You see, this is why I wait until the first season's been done before I get into a show.

Seraph
2007-11-24, 12:39 PM
I think the deal is that the networks have caught on to the DVD sales of shows like this, and figure they'll make more money this way

Catch
2007-11-24, 12:44 PM
I think the deal is that the networks have caught on to the DVD sales of shows like this, and figure they'll make more money this way

Quite true. Both Firefly and Serenity had massive DVD sales.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-24, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty surprised ... not that I know anything about Reaper, but that the networks are cancelling anything with the WGA strike going on. You'd think they would at least finish off the episodes they have left. I don't think any other show has been cancelled yet (although I could be wrong), which I attributed to the strike. If it is the first show to be cancelled, that really sucks to be the first one. Even if it isn't the first one, my condolences to Reaper fans, since I've watched way too many shows over the years that have been cancelled.

Stupid network executives.

They aren't canceling it because of the strike, and they plan to show all five episodes that are left. They're canecling it because the think some soapy teenage drama is better.

You see, this is why I wait until the first season's been done before I get into a show.

It's exactly that reasoning that causes shows like Reaper to be canceled.

Yes, but think of it this way. This show would get massive DVD sales, as it's relatively popular and a very good show. But what if you had two seasons, or three or seven? It's a bit more then you would get from a DVD sales of one canceled season.

And Reaper doesn't have to option of lending itself to a movie. It just doesn't fit the format.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-11-24, 02:17 PM
Honestly, I'm not surprised at all. This may not be a popular opinion... but Reaper just plain doesn't have the staying power necessary to make it as a TV series. It's got its moments (I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit), but it's a series that would have been better off as a single full-length movie.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-24, 05:11 PM
Can someone explain what Reaper is exactly? :smallconfused: Because, although I was crushed by the brutal cancellation of Firefly, I can't feel pain for something I don't know anything about.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-24, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of it.

Well, now I know thanks to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_%28TV_series%29). Also, reading the IGN article, I don't see any mention of Reaper being cancelled. Just shafted out of its time slot, which is probably a death sentence anyway.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-24, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of it.

See! SEE! None no the truth! :smallfurious:

*mimics the Steward of Gondor; throws himself off cliff, while on fire, into pile of orcs, screaming profanity and eating copious amounts of gefilte*

Green Bean
2007-11-24, 05:21 PM
It's exactly that reasoning that causes shows like Reaper to be canceled.

I know, but I was hurt at a young age.

Why, Reboot, why? :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2007-11-25, 01:07 AM
Conversely, it's just this that has made them finally decide to start making Futurama again. Or so the Rumour Mill grinds...

Dervag
2007-11-25, 01:08 AM
Well, they'll sell more DVDs if they run more seasons, right?

Haruki-kun
2007-11-25, 01:11 AM
And so, just like Firefly and Dead Like Me before it, Reaper has join the ranks of shows that were just too good for the networks.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/837/837101p1.html

Reaper is being cancelled. And not even a full season in. I can't say I didn't see it coming. It was too good of a show to last, but it's not even halfway through. I mean, even Firefly lasted 11 episodes. Reaper got nine.

I loved Dead Like Me............. I was so annoyed when it was cancelled.........

I mean, sure it had some overly explicit moments and a sort of Dark Humor sometimes, but........... to get it cancelled? It had some really beautiful moments...........

Icewalker
2007-11-25, 03:14 AM
Oh yeah, after reading the beginning of the synopsis, I vaguely remember seeing ads for this show and thinking it looked somewhat interesting, and possibly checking it out sometime, but I didn't get around to it. Sucks it's being canceled, sounded like a good show :smallfrown:

I'll probably Netflix the dvd to see at at some point.

Tom_Violence
2007-11-25, 02:35 PM
Well, they'll sell more DVDs if they run more seasons, right?

No, that doesn't seem right to me at all. Subsequent series will only sell to established fans, yes? But if they make an entirely new show, or another series of a more successful show instead, then they have the opportuinity to reach a larger fan base. Its not like making a series of a TV show is free - one must always look at the opportuinity cost involved.

Think about it this way - assuming quality is constant, if you've got 10 series of 1 show, or 1 series of 10 shows, which way do you think is going to sell more?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-11-25, 10:25 PM
Now, I haven't watched it since I avoid CW shows like the plague, since I think they're all lame and quite frankly, this one doesn't seem like an exception. All of their shows aren't geared towards me as their audience. I mean I even like vampires and I can't stand Buffy. They're all to soap operaish for me (although oddly enough, I have found I like Charmed, but not for the obvious reasons you might think). Well, Axel, most must not have your high opinion of the show. Most shows get canceled mid-season due an extreme lack of people watching the show, and I'd be more than willing to bet that is the case here.

ocato
2007-11-25, 11:17 PM
Conversely, it's just this that has made them finally decide to start making Futurama again. Or so the Rumour Mill grinds...

Actually [adult swim] and DVD sales brought Family Guy back from the dead, and Futurama has a DVD movie coming out tuesday, so yes, DVD sales can ressurect good series. Hope that a fan outrage can solve this.

Serpentine
2007-11-25, 11:23 PM
Most shows get canceled mid-season due an extreme lack of people watching the show, and I'd be more than willing to bet that is the case here.In one extreme case, it got canned after only one singe episode. That rocked so hard :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2007-11-26, 12:14 AM
Most shows get canceled mid-season due an extreme lack of people watching the show, and I'd be more than willing to bet that is the case here.

And we just know that means the show isn't very good.

Oh wait.

Heads_or_Tails
2007-11-26, 12:31 AM
Most shows get canceled mid-season due an extreme lack of people watching the show, and I'd be more than willing to bet that is the case here.
In one extreme case, it got canned after only one singe episode. That rocked so hard

Although not canceled due to lack of ratings, I believe the spin off to Australia's Funniest Home Video Show, Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos wins the race for cancellation, canned DURING its 90-minute run, by Kerry Packer.

However, I have not seen Reaper, but I would like to. Damn it.

Darken Rahl
2007-11-26, 09:55 AM
I like Charmed

I'm morbidly curious why you like a show with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

2007-11-26, 10:46 AM
In one extreme case, it got canned after only one singe episode. That rocked so hard :smallbiggrin:

Was that the race show with the guy who played Mal on it?

Seems like whatever he's in he kills.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-11-26, 10:54 AM
I'm morbidly curious why you like a show with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Well... Rose McGowen is kinda hot. That's a redeeming quality.

Darken Rahl
2007-11-26, 12:37 PM
No, she isn't and no, it isn't.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-26, 12:50 PM
I'm sad that Twin Peaks was cancelled, but at least now it's stuck the perfect way it is forever now. :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2007-11-26, 01:27 PM
Was that the race show with the guy who played Mal on it?

Seems like whatever he's in he kills.

no...Drive made it 4 episodes.

I still haven't seen the last two, as I refuse to go to Fox's website.

Cristo Meyers
2007-11-26, 01:42 PM

Teeny-bopper soap show that will rake in viewers and advertising dollars for the largest spending target group vs well made but relatively unknown show that is only attracting a small but devoted core group of viewers. I call it "MTV syndrome"

I can see the logic.

This is why I don't watch the CW if at all possible. Now that my local FOX as picked up syndicated Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, I don't have to watch them at all.