PDA

View Full Version : Redemption Paladin - feat or asi?

SirKurze
2022-03-27, 03:05 AM
Hey everyone, I could do with some advise on how to proceed with my level 8 asi. Should I go +2 dex, +1 wisdom and +1 cha? Or take strength? I've received a +1 glaive last session. I could also take the feat resiliant in constitution? I also Linda like Fey Touched for some situational mobility and an additional spell. I think asi is better, but I like feats for expanding my options. And my party could use more after battle healing options, but not pre-combat temp hp.
Any help and insight will be much appreciated.

I'm currently running a dex build Oath of Redemption Paladin. The party consists besides the paladin of a barbarian (berzerker), ranger (archer, beastmaster) and sorceror (draconic). I'm more of a second line fighter next to the barbarian and I'm more busy keeping him and myself alive, while the ranger and the caster handle themselves (they are rarely hurt badly).

The stats and such:

Race: human
Level: 7
Hp: 60
Background: soldier, medic.
Stats: str 11 (+0), dex 16 (+3), const 14 (+2)
int. 9 (-1), wis 13 (+1), cha 15 (+2)
AC: 19 (medium armour breast plate, shield, ring of protection).
Feats: dueling, sentinel, oath of redemption
Spells: Lvl 1 - Bless, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, Wrathful Smite
Lvl 2 - Aid, Calm Emotions
Weapons: Rapier (+1).
Other equip: Holy symbol, ring of jumping
Skills: Acrobatics (+6), Athletics (+3), Insight (+4), Intimidation (+5)

Kane0
2022-03-27, 04:58 AM
Maybe Inspiring Leader or Healer looking at the party, otherwise Fey Touched is a great choice that expands your limited smite/spell slots and also boosts a stat some.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-27, 08:47 AM
Of the choices you are considering, I'll recommend Fey Touched.
1. boosts Cha to 16 (which ups the saving throw bonus) and also boosts your spell save DC and the effectiveness of both of your channel divinity options.
2. Provides some nice magical options

You already have a magical weapon that plays to your dex strength. Consider trading the glaive, or equipping an ally/henchman with it at some point.

RogueJK
2022-03-27, 08:54 AM
I could also take the feat resiliant in constitution?
A Paladin's +CHA saving throw bonus from Aura of Protection applies to your Concentration checks, so Resilient CON isn't usually needed on a Paladin. Plus you already have an even CON score, so you'd see no benefit from the +1 to CON.

Of the choices you are considering, I'll recommend Fey Touched.
1. boosts Cha to 16 (which ups the saving throw bonus)
2. Provides some nice magical options
3. You already have a magical weapon that plays to your dex strength.

Exactly. Round out that CHA to 16 and grab Misty Step and another useful 1st level spell. Good choices for your 1st level Fey Touched spell pick could be:

-Hex for an hour's worth of added damage when your Concentration isn't otherwise used for Bless
-Gift of Alacrity for a day-long Initiative boost
-Dissonant Whispers for a nice damage option that also triggers Opportunity Attacks and costs the enemy their Reaction plus their movement next turn
-Command to make an enemy waste their entire turn and potentially debuff themselves (such as prone), plus it can be useful for a creative player in a number of different situations out of combat
-Silvery Barbs for a great use for your Reaction when it comes to negating enemy crits or making sure a vital save-or-suck spell cast by your Sorcerer sticks

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-03-27, 01:40 PM
Given that you have a melee buddy, every Charisma boost you get is worth +1 on pretty much every save 2 of you get forever (+2 on your Chr saves) that's always a great choice. Since it only requires a +1 at this point it's basically a no-brainer to do something there. Then the question is, do you bump Wis to even up that or find a 1/2 feat like Fey Touched? I'd probably agree with the other posters and lean towards Fey Touched. Misty Step is really good and another spell is gravy.

SirKurze
2022-03-28, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the response!
The consensus is obviously to go with Fey Touched, so I'm gonna go do that. I also checked with my DM and he approves as well.
I'm gonna go with Dissonant Whispers as the additional spell. I figure it gives some nice damage and I can not only use it to grant myself or the barbarian an attack of oppertunity, but also to keep foes away from the back row.
But I must say, the Healer feat is very nice as well. Perhaps for my next ASI or another character.
Thanks everyone once again! This helped a lot.

SociopathFriend
2022-03-28, 01:48 PM
I'm biased but I always maintain upping your Save Aura should be a top concern for a Paladin.

Look at even the lowly Crown of Madness spell at your Barbarian ally. If he's only got a 12 Wisdom- he gets ONLY +1 to a Saving Throw that will turn him against the party.

I want that Saving Throw buffed as much as possible.

Catullus64
2022-03-28, 02:52 PM
Just to point out some additional feats that provide a CHA boost (I'm generally agreed that bumping your Charisma is best at this juncture, but that doesn't mean Fey Touched is your sole option).

Actor, PHB (Well I really like it...)
Gift of the Gem Dragon, FToD (Nifty for a melee-primary character)
Shadow Touched, TCoE (Similar value to Fey Touched, just different options and possibly more on-theme.)
Telekinetic/Telepathic, TCoE (How do you like your utility? Telekinetic might be better for this character, good for creating space for allies).

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-29, 08:58 AM
The consensus is obviously to go with Fey Touched, so I'm gonna go do that. I also checked with my DM and he approves as well.
I'm gonna go with Dissonant Whispers as the additional spell. I figure it gives some nice damage and I can not only use it to grant myself or the barbarian an attack of opportunity, but also to keep foes away from the back row. Opportunity Attack in this edition (pet peeve) and DW is a nice spell. My bard used it for a lot of levels before she finally replaced it.