PDA

View Full Version : Amplified Entanglement?

SangoProduction
2022-03-27, 05:40 AM
I do have a particular fascination with nets and glues and the like in combat games. It's just conceptually interesting to shoot spider webs and limit enemy movement. (Don't get me wrong, it actually doesn't see a lot of play with my characters. But I do enjoy theory crafting around abilities that feature it.)

However, while the abilities that do this tend to improve their save DC with levels, I've never seen any that got actually more effective with levels. It's probably on account of Entangled being a named debuff with predefined penalties. But the point remains.
OK. Slightly incorrect. There are a fair few that increase their AoE with levels, which is definitely an axis of effectiveness. But the penalties still tend to remain the same.

Does anyone know of immobilizing-style effects/spells which do in fact improve in effectiveness with levels? Adds in extra debuffs, or side effects or what have you.

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-27, 03:30 PM
I would suggest the Spider Shape invocation. Since it's follows the polymorph subschool rules, most of the stats get exchanged. You also lose your mental stats and can't use any invocations (other than those already active like Fell Flight).
But the upside is that you get all the abilities of the target form (Fiendish Monstrous Spider of different sizes) and that all HD related stuff still scales with your own HD.

The Web and SR abilities both scale with HD. The DCs presented in the entries for the Web abilities follow the general rules for calculating the DCs of special abilities, thus they don't create a specific exception for themselves. But Spider Shape creates a specific exception here for the warlock (using his HD instead that of the target Fiendish Monstrous Spider form's).

The final piece of info for our DC calculation formula is this:

The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus.

thus the formula is:

DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + CON (+4 racial bonus specific for the Strength check)

I also had a non-entry (3rd build) for the "Rage Mage" round in the Iron Chef contest which was build on this.
Have a look here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24996357&postcount=71).
Note that I forgot to mention the 1/2 HD scaling in the post.. something I discovered later on..^^

I hope that this fits your request^^

ShurikVch
2022-03-27, 06:22 PM
Blood Creepers (Player's Handbook II) subject is immobilized and entangled, and each round takes 1 point of piercing damage per CL (up to 15)
Briar Web (Complete Divine) attemts of any actions inflicting 2d6 damage; spellcasting required Concentration checks (DC 15 + spell level + damage taken) or lose the spell
Dancing Web (Book of Exalted Deeds) 1d6 points per level of nonlethal damage (maximum 10d6); only Evil creatures are entangled
Ghorus Toth's Magnetism (Unapproachable East) 10+CL Str check on metallic creatures or objects; those who lose the check are entangled
Kelpstrand (Spell Compendium) grapple via ranged touch attack, with your CL instead your Str bonus, and your Wis bonus instead your Size modifier (you're don't count as grappled)
Orb of Electricity (Spell Compendium) a creature wearing metal armor struck by an orb of electricity must make a Fortitude save or be entangled for 1 round
Rain of Spines (Complete Mage) creature immobilized by spines is considered entangled and can't move from its space for 1 round/CL (DC 20 to break free)
Storm Slave (Dragon #347) 2d6 electricity damage each round; target can get out by accepting effect of no-save Charm Monster
Whip of Thorns (Champions of Ruin) 1d4 damage for unsuccessful attempt to free, or even for successful attempt - with successful check that exceeds the DC by 10 or less
Wingbind (Spell Compendium) ensnared creature immediately falls to the ground, taking falling damage; like a wall of force this web of force is impervious to most attacks
Entangling Exhalation feat (Races of the Dragon): sacrifice half of your BW damage to entangle target for 1d4 rounds; 1d4 points of energy damage each round the targets are entangled (presuming your BW does energy damage)

SangoProduction
2022-03-27, 06:49 PM
Blood Creepers (Player's Handbook II) subject is immobilized and entangled, and each round takes 1 point of piercing damage per CL (up to 15)
Briar Web (Complete Divine) attemts of any actions inflicting 2d6 damage; spellcasting required Concentration checks (DC 15 + spell level + damage taken) or lose the spell
Dancing Web (Book of Exalted Deeds) 1d6 points per level of nonlethal damage (maximum 10d6); only Evil creatures are entangled
Ghorus Toth's Magnetism (Unapproachable East) 10+CL Str check on metallic creatures or objects; those who lose the check are entangled
Kelpstrand (Spell Compendium) grapple via ranged touch attack, with your CL instead your Str bonus, and your Wis bonus instead your Size modifier (you're don't count as grappled)
Orb of Electricity (Spell Compendium) a creature wearing metal armor struck by an orb of electricity must make a Fortitude save or be entangled for 1 round
Rain of Spines (Complete Mage) creature immobilized by spines is considered entangled and can't move from its space for 1 round/CL (DC 20 to break free)
Storm Slave (Dragon #347) 2d6 electricity damage each round; target can get out by accepting effect of no-save Charm Monster
Whip of Thorns (Champions of Ruin) 1d4 damage for unsuccessful attempt to free, or even for successful attempt - with successful check that exceeds the DC by 10 or less
Wingbind (Spell Compendium) ensnared creature immediately falls to the ground, taking falling damage; like a wall of force this web of force is impervious to most attacks
Entangling Exhalation feat (Races of the Dragon): sacrifice half of your BW damage to entangle target for 1d4 rounds; 1d4 points of energy damage each round the targets are entangled (presuming your BW does energy damage)

Nice. That's just the stuff I was looking for.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-03-27, 08:41 PM
Racial abilities gain DC bonuses with your HD and Con mod, which can be further augmented with Con boosts, HD boosts, Ability Focus, and similar things.

The World of Warcraft: Alliance Player's Guide has the Emulate Another feat, which allows you to grab racial abilities from creatures you are descended from.

So if you played a spider-like critter and proceeded to look through a bunch of monster compendiums and used Emulate Another to start pulling in funky webbing abilities from a bunch of different things? I've found everything from regular monstrous spider webs to ice webs, fire webs, acid webs, and even jagged glass and dream/nightmare webs. Combine and compound those in any way you like.