PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Thirsting Blade & Fizban Dragonborn?

Citadel97501
2022-03-27, 05:14 PM
Hello all, I was wondering if you can use your Fizban's dragon-breath to replace one of the attacks you make with Thirsting Blade? It seems this could go either way due to the text of the invocation and I was hoping for some opinions?

JNAProductions
2022-03-27, 05:51 PM
I’d allow it. Thirsting Blade is basically Bladelock’s Extra Attack.

Kane0
2022-03-27, 06:01 PM
Yeah Thirsting Blade is basically Extra Attack as an invocation, I see no reason it shouldn't work.

Gurgeh
2022-03-27, 06:09 PM
Keep in mind that the printed rules pretty clearly say no: Thirsting Blade specifies that its benefit only applies to attacks with your Pact Weapon.

Normally I'm not big on this level of rules-lawyer pedantry, but if there's any case where it makes sense to apply it, it's for the warlock. At the end of the day you're not a martial character: you don't have the same skill in arms as a Fighter or Ranger or Barbarian, you took a shortcut by striking a bargain with an outside force, and they don't have to give you an inch more than they said they would. The devil's in the details, and if the fine print isn't as generous as it might be then your patron will generally conclude that it's a problem for you, not them.

If you're dealing with a DM who doesn't approve, don't try to argue on the printed rules, because as far as they're concerned you don't have a leg to stand on.

With that said, I don't think allowing the combo would cause any balance issues, so it's really a case of where your table's setting the fulcrum of the patron's presence/absence and helpfulness/indifference.

LordShade
2022-03-27, 06:54 PM
As a DM I'd allow it.

loki_ragnarock
2022-03-27, 08:27 PM
File me away in the "technically no, but I'd probably allow it in my more permissive games" bin.

animewatcha
2022-03-28, 01:40 PM
What about trying to combine both. Mainly using a way for bonus action based attack and substituting that for breath weapon. Going by wording of breath, you may not have to exactly use of the 'main attack action' attacks to use it. SO it would Attack-action PactWeapon+PactWeapon and Bonus-action Breath.

diplomancer
2022-03-28, 02:00 PM
RAW, no. But combining rules in books 7 years apart is more art than science. I'd let it. Why not? Forbid it and all you're doing is eliminating the new Dragonborn as a good Pact of the Blade option.

Sigreid
2022-03-28, 02:02 PM
Pretty clearly RAW no. That said, I probably wouldn't care.