PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tasha's Sorcerers versus 2017 Sorcerer UA: what's the delta?

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-28, 11:54 AM
I've got a friend who, as DM, is not sure of how to proceed with homebrew ideas. We got to talking about how the WoTC UA/playtest process worked. (Her soul sources are PHB, MM, and DMG. I'll be lending her Xanathar's and Tasha's so that she can pick and choose features from there as she likes them).
One of her prospective players has indicated a desire to play the old UA Phoenix sorcerer (2017 era). After we had that chit chat for lunch, it occurred to me to try and compare the overboost that Tasha's gave to sorcerers with the fiddling experimentation 2017 UA represents.

Playgrounders, and particularly those of you who tried these UA sorcerers out in play, how do these two sorcererous origins compare to Tasha's sorcerous origins?
(Source = UA from Feb 2017 called Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer (©2017 Wizards of the Coast LLC). IIRC, Xanathar's Divine Soul is descended from Favored Soul in this UA.

The power of water is the strength of flexibility, resilience, and a relentless nature. Water parts to allow a ship to sail over it or a diver to plunge into it, but their passing leaves no mark. Water flowing down a mountain reaches the sea. might bend and turn across valleys and down hillsides, but it slowly and steadily returns to the waves. Those whose souls are touched by the power of elemental water command a similar power. Your heritage ties to powerful creatures of the sea, such as nereids, the lords of the merfolk, and elemental powers. Like a river, you feel the call of the ocean. The call is ever present in your heart, and you are never completely at peace until you are near the sea.
Soul of the Sea{clear and concise, fathomless Warlock gets similar features}
At 1st level, your tie to the sea grants you the ability to breathe underwater, and you have a swim speed equal to your walking speed.
Curse of the Sea {a bit fiddly?}
When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse. When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a
different creature with this feature. Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends if the spell isn’t a cantrip (you choose the effect to use if more than one effect applies):
Cold Damage. If the affected target takes cold damage from your spell, the target’s speed is also reduced by 15 feet until the end of your next turn. If the spell already reduces the
target’s speed, use whichever reduction is greater.
Lightning Damage. If the affected target takes lightning damage from your spell, the target takes additional lightning damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Forced Movement. If the target is moved by your spell, increase the distance it is moved by 15 feet.
Watery Defense {30 feet? Scout rogue only gets 15!}
At 6th level, you gain resistance to fire damage. You also gain the ability to defend yourself by momentarily assuming a watery form. As a reaction when you are hit by an attack and take bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage from it, you can reduce that damage by an amount equal to your sorcerer level plus your Charisma score, and then you can move up to 30 feet without provoking opportunity attacks. Once you use this special reaction, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Shifting Form {This is a neat feature, not sure about balance, a bit fiddly}
Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to enter a liquid state while moving. When you move on your turn, you take only half damage from opportunity attacks, and you can move through any enemy’s space but can’t willingly end your move there. On your turn, you can move through any space that is at least 3 inches in diameter and do so without squeezing. When you stop moving, the regular squeezing rules apply if you’re in a space one size smaller than you. You can’t willingly stop in a space smaller than that, and if you’re forced to do so, you immediately flow to the nearest space that can fit you, back along the path of your movement.
Water Soul {solid origin capstone, maybe too powerful?}
Starting at 18th level, your being is altered by the power of the sea. You gain the following benefits:
• You no longer need to eat, drink, or sleep.
• A critical hit against you becomes a normal hit.
• You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

I think the level 1 feature needs another scrub, 14 and 18 are solid and easy to understand, and level 6 probably within the balance zone.

Playgrounders: how would you tweak it, if at all?

Your power draws from the immortal flame that fuels the legendary phoenix. You or your ancestors perhaps rendered a phoenix a great service, or you were born in its presence. Whatever the cause, a shard of the phoenix’s power dwells within you. That power is a mixed blessing. Like the mythical creature, you can invoke fiery energy and gain the ability to cheat death itself. This power comes at a cost. The fire within you seethes, demanding to be unleashed. You
sometimes find yourself absentmindedly feeding fires. You can’t bear to allow a fire to sputter out. You feel most comfortable while holding a lit torch or sitting in front of a campfire. More importantly, this gift comes with no
special protection from fire. You are as vulnerable as any other creature to fiery magic, including your own. Phoenix sorcerers can use their powers to pull themselves back from the brink of death, and all too often their own, rash nature or reliance on destructive magic is what puts them there in the first place. Such sorcerers are wanderers by necessity.
The volatile nature of their magic makes other folk nervous. If a fire breaks out in town, a phoenix sorcerer had best flee, whether guilty or not. Fire is a dangerous force, and phoenix sorcerers have a reputation (deserved or not) for reckless behavior, confident that the essence of the phoenix can save them.
Phoenix Soul Quirks
d6 Quirk
1 You absentmindedly ignite small fires that quickly sputter out.
2 You cackle like a fiend when you unleash your fire spells.
3 You admire fire, even if it burns your friends.
4 You are covered in burns that mark the first time your power manifested.
5 You like your food charred.
6 You are brave to the point of recklessness.
Ignite
At 1st level, you gain the ability to start fires with a touch. As an action, you can magically ignite a flammable object you touch with your hand—an object such as a torch, a piece of tinder, or the hem of drapes.
Mantle of Flame
Starting at 1st level, you can unleash the phoenix fire that blazes within you. As a bonus action, you magically wreathe
yourself in swirling fire, as your eyes glow like hot coals. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
• You shed bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet.
• Any creature takes fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier if it hits you with a melee attack from within 5 feet of you or if it touches you.
• Whenever you roll fire damage on your turn, the roll gains a bonus to equal to your Charisma modifier.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
Phoenix Spark
Starting at 6th level, the fiery energy within you grows restless and vengeful. In the face of defeat, it surges outward to preserve you in a fiery roar. If you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can use your reaction to draw on the spark of the phoenix. You are instead reduced to 1 hit point, and each creature within 10 feet of you takes fire damage equal to half your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier. If you use this feature while under the effects of your Mantle of Flame, this feature instead deals fire damage equal to your sorcerer level + double your Charisma modifier, and your Mantle of Flame immediately ends. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
Nourishing Fire
Starting at 14th level, your fire spells soothe and restore you. When you expend a spell slot to cast a spell that includes a fire damage roll, you regain hit points equal to the slot’s level + your Charisma modifier.
Form of the Phoenix
At 18th level, you finally master the spark of fire that dances within you. While under the effect of your Mantle of Flame feature, you gain additional benefits:
• You have a flying speed of 40 feet and can hover.
• You have resistance to all damage.
• If you use your Phoenix Spark, that feature deals an extra 20 fire damage to each creature.
Capstone might be a little overpowered, not sure, but I don't think her campaign will get past 11/12 per our discussion today.

Playgrounders: how would you tweak Phoenix Sorcerer, if at all?

I am hoping to offer her some suggestions next week, so good ideas are most welcome. And the bottom line is, now that Tasha's sorcerers are out, do these even need any tweaking?

Bonus question:
What "origin" spells would you recommend for Sea Sorcerer and Phoenix Sorcerer? (If any)

Keravath
2022-03-28, 09:37 PM
Phoenix soul suggestions:

1) Quirks aren't needed unless the player wants one. I wouldn't force one on a character.

2) I'd change the light things on fire feature at level 1 to gaining the Create Bonfire cantrip.

3) Mantle of Flame is ok but once/long rest makes it much less useful unless it is a one fight/day type campaign and the players know it so they can choose to use the Mantle in the one fight. Otherwise, the sorcerer is likely just waiting for a good time to use it. Also, most sorcerers don't want to find themselves in melee so the 5' attack situation shouldn't come up much. Usually they are better off using the disengage action to run away though the Mantle could potentially deter someone from following. So the biggest feature is likely adding charisma to damage 1 minute/day.

The third bullet is almost the same as the level 6 draconic sorcerer feature that lets them add charisma to damage on any spell that matches their draconic heritage - but that is every spell, all day, not limited to one minute/long rest. The other two features of the Mantle probably won't be that useful in practice.

4) The level 6 feature is just bad. It affects any creature within 10' - friend or foe - and a sorcerer should be more likely to reach zero hit points due to ranged or spell attacks rather than melee most of the time. In that case, the sorcerer could blow up in flames, damage their party rather than an enemy and end up at 1hp. The feature sounds thematic for a phoenix but in practice, no one can afford to stand near the sorcerer or they might get hit when they self-immolate at 0 hit points.

5) This is more likely to see some use since the fallback cantrip for this class is likely firebolt.

6) The 18th level capstone doesn't look overpowered to me. It is similar to the monk capstone that provides resistance to all damage but force but trades the monk invisibility for flight and some extra damage from their level 6 feature that is more likely to damage friends than foes.

You could change the level 6 feature to only damage enemies but for a phoenix type character that doesn't make much sense. You could also replace the level 6 feature with my Retribution of the Phoenix idea below.

-----

However, I think I would do the following instead, changing the level 1 and 6 features.

Level 1:
Cantrip: Create Bonfire
Retribution of the Phoenix
- if the sorcerer is reduced to 0 hit points they drop to 1 hp instead, the phoenix soul releases a fiery burst at the creature whose attack or spell would have reduced the sorcerer to 0 hit points. This fire damage starts at d8 and increases by d8 at level 5, 11 and 17. After releasing this energy, the Phoenix Soul requires a long rest to recover this ability. (d6, d8, d10 or d12 would be damage die choices depending on where you want this to balance out but at only once/day and only when the sorcerer hits 0 hit points - I'd lean towards the larger die like d8 or d10).
Living Torch
- as a free action (uses their free object interaction for the turn) the Phoenix soul can encase themselves in flames. These flames create bright light within 30' and dim light for an additional 30'. The flames are warm but not hot and when burning the Phoenix Soul has resistance to cold damage.

Level 6:
Same as the draconic sorcerer feature except fire only.
- Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can add your Charisma modifier to one damage roll of that spell. At the same time, you can spend 1 sorcery point to gain resistance to that damage type for 1 hour.

Level 14 and 18 seem ok to me.

The whole Mantle idea just seems too little and too complicated.

To keep it up with the Tashas sorcerers - you'd want a list of spells they get automatically. Luckily fire has lots of options - so everything can be themed and they can pick up other spells they might want with their regular slots.

- burning hands, hellish rebuke
- scorching ray, flaming sphere
- fireball, flame arrows
- fire shield, wall of fire
- flame strike, immolation

Kane0
2022-03-29, 04:05 AM
Good news is adding fire spells for Phoenix sorcery is really easy. Just pick one at each level:

1st: Burning Hands, Faerie Fire
2nd: Flaming Sphere, Pyrotechnics
3rd: Ashardalon's Stride, Fireball
4th: Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
5th: Immolation, Flame Strike

As for the class features...

Ignite: We have Control Flames, Fire Bolt, Green-Flame Blade, Create Bonfire and Produce Flame, I recommend choosing one of those as a bonus cantrip

Mantle of Flame: Standard procedure nowadays is prof bonus times per long rest, other than that being attacked in melee is something most sorcerer's dont want and +Cha to fire damage feels like it should just be a passive thing for... well y'know... a PYROMANCER. Maybe take some inspiration from Undead Warlock's dread form to rework this, or trade out the melee attack part for a slot/sorc point recovery mechanic while the mantle is active (like the diviner getting lower level slots back on divination spells, do the same with your freebie fire spells).

Phoenix Spark: Standard procedure nowadays is spend X sorcery points after the first 'free' user per long rest, and again rewards you for being in melee which is not the place a typical sorcerer wants to be. Also can hurt allies that get caught in it, and ends your buff in exchange for doubling the damage done which probably wouldn't be part of current sensibilities.

Nourishing Fire: Solid passive benefit, seems fine

Form of the Phoenix: Sounds fine, though personally would prefer something else instead of the boost to phoenix spark (why have three different things rely on you dropping to 0? Are you SUPPOSED to be suicidal? Then why have the self heal feature making it harder for yourself?)

Amnestic
2022-03-29, 04:20 AM
For Sea:
Soul of the Sea: Fine, but also give them the Shape Water (and Gust?) cantrip.
Curse: Redesigned. Instead of applying via damage, apply as a bonus action on a creature PB/LR (or 1/SR, or Chamod/LR, whatever you prefer) times. Add team synergy by making the bonuses apply whenever cold/lightning/forced movement (including mundane Shoves) occur rather than just from your spells, though Cold obviously doesn't stack with itself.
Watery Defense: Fine.
Shifting Form: Bit boring for a 14th level feature. Maybe add 'ignore difficult terrain' at the same time? Move over ceilings/walls perhaps?
Water Soul: Fine.

Sea Spells:

1st
Create or Destroy Water, Ice Knife

3rd
Misty Step, Gust of Wind

5th
Tidal Wave, Lightning Bolt

7th
Watery Sphere, Storm Sphere

9th
Maelstrom, Control Winds

17th
Storm of Vengeance

For Phoenix:
Ignite: Replace with Produce and Control Flames cantrips.
Mantle: Buff it to PB/LR (or ChaMod/LR, whichever you prefer) in keeping with more modern design sensibilities.
Phoenix Spark: This is fine as is, but add in additional feature: From 20th level, if you die, resurrect at the start of your next turn. 1/week.
Additional 6th level feature: bypass fire resistance
Additional 14th level feature: turn fire immunity into fire resistance (not reduced by 6th level feature).
Form of the Phoenix: This is fine.

Phoenix Spells:

1st
Absorb Elements, Burning Hands

3rd
Scorching Ray, Heat Metal

5th
Fireball, Revivify

7th
Fire Shield, Wall of Fire

9th
Reincarnate, Flame Strike

Kane0
2022-03-29, 05:08 AM
-snip-
Reincarnate as bonus 5th level spell
-snip-

*Chefs kiss*

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-29, 07:59 AM
Plenty of stuff to mull over, I guess that 'sea sorcerer' ended up becoming Storm Sorcerer in Xanathar's but that was originally from Elemental Evil Players Companion, wasn't it?

Veldrenor
2022-03-29, 09:03 AM
Plenty of stuff to mull over, I guess that 'sea sorcerer' ended up becoming Storm Sorcerer in Xanathar's but that was originally from Elemental Evil Players Companion, wasn't it?

The EE Player's Companion had races and spells, but no subclasses. Storm Sorcerer was first printed in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide in 2015, well before the 2017 UA.

I played a Sea Sorcerer from levels 1-6 and from what little I saw it's very dependent on the number and type of fights you have. The subclass' main feature at low levels is the curse, which is at its best when you're cantrip spamming against a single enemy (mix in some warlock and repelling blast and the additional push distance turns downright monstrous). If you're fighting a lot of weak enemies then they usually die too quickly (except with the aforementioned warlock dip where you can apply the curse with the first blast and proc it with the second), and if you have a small number of fights per day then you want to nova rather than spam cantrips. Since our DM typically leans on 1-3 super deadly fights per day, the subclass saw frustratingly little use. I was allowed to rebuild as an Aberrant Mind when Tasha's came out and the character has been drastically more enjoyable in combat ever since. Admittedly that might have more to do with the bonus spell list than the other class features, though, as Aberrant Mind freed up a bunch of my thematic spell picks for more universally useful ones. Sea Sorcerer might be fine with just the addition of a bonus spell list ala the Tasha's subclasses.

paladinn
2022-03-29, 09:23 AM
I think there would be a lot of overlap between a Sea Sorc and a Storm Sorc. You might have similar overlaps with an Ice Sorc (Elsa) if you went that route. Then you have to ask yourself, is there enough differece to justify a separate subclass?

Just my $.02

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-29, 09:33 AM
I think there would be a lot of overlap between a Sea Sorc and a Storm Sorc. You might have similar overlaps with an Ice Sorc (Elsa) if you went that route. Then you have to ask yourself, is there enough difference to justify a separate subclass?

Just my $.02 Ice sorceress? (RoTFM?)

@Veldrenor
Thanks for the "I played this and here's what I saw" input on Sea Sorcerer. :smallsmile:

RickAsWritten
2022-03-29, 10:00 AM
I played a Sea Sorcerer from 1-5 and enjoyed it. The curse is definitely a bit fiddly and sometimes hard to proc, but I love the flavor of it and the base idea of it. It creates an interesting rhythm to combat where you cantrip/curse, then nova spell, cantrip/curse, nova, cantrip/curse, nova, and so on (or cantrip-and-repeat if you are low on resources). I also like that it made me choose thematic spells that I normally wouldn't have chosen or heavily relied on (Gust, Gust of Wind, Shocking Grasp as a primary offensive spell as opposed to mostly for run-away).