PDA

View Full Version : Wildfire druid as off-tank

Sepok
2022-03-28, 01:17 PM
Our group is starting a new game next month, and I wanted to play a class I hadn't played before, so I choose druid. We've only had Moon druids in our other campaigns, so I wanted to play a different sub-class. But I noticed one thing about our party lineup...Druid(me), Wizard(Bladedancer), Rogue(ranged), Barbarian(greatsword user)...we have no tank. I know the barbarian can do a little tanking with rage, but he's going to be a little too easy to hit, especially with Reckless Attack. So I was thinking about trying to build a tanky, druid (non-Moon).

Our DM has given everyone the same array of stats to start...10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17

The first thing is that AC was going to be an issue...the metal armor restriction normally keeps druids from being off-tanks like clerics. Better non-metal armors are only usualy available at higher levels. So I decided to go with Loxodon as my race and max my CON(CON 19, WIS 16). This will give me a base AC of 16(AC=12+CON bonus), 18 with shield at level 1. I'll increase CON to 20 ASAP for AC 19, and better concentration saves.

The second thing was choosing my druid sub-class to choose. I just don't like the Spores druid, which is normally the 2nd best at tanking(after Moon) due to the temp hp's. So I decided to go with Wildfire druid for battlefield movement and consistent(minor) AoE damage. I'll handle the minion hordes and let the barbarian handle the bosses. And the Fiery Teleport can get weaker party members out of melee.

I decided to start as an Arcana Cleric to pick up the Wizard cantrips (Green-Flame Blade and Fire Bolt) and then go all druid after that. The one cleric level gives me more versatility with more prepared spells(Bless!).

Once I get to 3rd level(2nd level druid) my fight strategy (WHEN I NEED TO TANK only) will be as follows. (Normal playstyle will be as a standard Wildfire druid, concentrating on a spell while attacking from range and commanding the spirit.)

1 - Summon Wildfire spirit
- first round AoE on enemies, then fiery teleport into the air for it to be out of melee.
- I know they can attack the spirit with missle fire, but if I am in melee with them they will have disadvantage.
- later rounds, have it fly to square above me and fiery teleport (rearranging party locations if needed, keeping it out of melee range)
2 - My actions
- possibly cast Shield of Faith for the +2 AC
- use a Shillelagh/Green-Flame Blade combo for melee
- Dodge action if there are a lot of enemies, while using my BA for Fiery Teleport AoE.
- other spells as the situation requires.

Can you see any glaring flaws in my plan? Or suggest any improvements?

strangebloke
2022-03-28, 01:47 PM
In order to tank, you really need a way to force people to attack you. As a caster, concentration is one thing here. If you're concentrating on a spell like plant growth or summon beasts or even moonbeam that deals damage and restricts enemy movement, they're going to want to get rid of you. You also want some way to punish people for ignoring you (Which is a problem moon druids encounter.) Warcaster is a great idea here, because it helps you keep concentrating on a good spell (shield of faith and bless are eh for you) but also because you can GFB someone who tries to run from you, and also because it means you don't have to worry about switching between sword and casting focus.

I would personally start with Tortle rather than loxodont, then pump wisdom. Loxodont is cool and I guess the trunk grapple is fun, but tortle gets you more for less investment.

Then grab warcaster as your first feat.

Sepok
2022-03-28, 02:07 PM
In order to tank, you really need a way to force people to attack you. As a caster, concentration is one thing here. If you're concentrating on a spell like plant growth or summon beasts or even moonbeam that deals damage and restricts enemy movement, they're going to want to get rid of you. You also want some way to punish people for ignoring you (Which is a problem moon druids encounter.) Warcaster is a great idea here, because it helps you keep concentrating on a good spell (shield of faith and bless are eh for you) but also because you can GFB someone who tries to run from you, and also because it means you don't have to worry about switching between sword and casting focus.

I would personally start with Tortle rather than loxodont, then pump wisdom. Loxodont is cool and I guess the trunk grapple is fun, but tortle gets you more for less investment.

Then grab warcaster as your first feat.

I was hoping that the constant AoE damage would be enough to make him a target. I'm taking Word of Radiance as one of my cleric cantrips for more PBAoE. He'll cast the cantrip as an action then BA for Fiery Teleport, and make himself a nuisance to enemies by constantly popping around the battlefield. Warcaster is going to be my first feat. The DM is considering a free feat at 1st level too. As for Tortle, meh, I just don't like them. Prioritizing CON gets me better CON/concentration saves, hp's, and AC...for a Loxodon it becomes the god stat like DEX is for everyone else. At later levels I'll be summoning animals/fey and WIS doesn't help with that at all.

strangebloke
2022-03-28, 02:12 PM
I was hoping that the constant AoE damage would be enough to make him a target. I'm taking Word of Radiance as one of my cleric cantrips for more PBAoE. He'll cast the cantrip as an action then BA for Fiery Teleport, and make himself a nuisance to enemies by constantly popping around the battlefield. Warcaster is going to be my first feat. The DM is considering a free feat at 1st level too. As for Tortle, meh, I just don't like them. Prioritizing CON gets me better CON/concentration saves, hp's, and AC...for a Loxodon it becomes the god stat like DEX is for everyone else. At later levels I'll be summoning animals/fey and WIS doesn't help with that at all.

I mean fair enough if you don't like Tortles, but they are better for what you're trying to do, aside from having a little lower CON initially I suppose, and the trunk grapple which is pretty fun but not all that practical most of the time.

I would get warcaster first before +2 CON. It does a lot for your build. Wisdom isn't something you should really ignore either if you're using it to attack, especially as GFB does use ability mod for damage. Being able to be a threat is what will make people attack you.