PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Picking a magic item for a Bladesinging Wizard.

Princess Kairi
2022-03-28, 01:32 PM
My birthday just passed, and my DM is allowing me to pick one magic item to bring along for the ride. I am playing a Level 3 Wood Elf Blade singing Wizard. Do you have any recommendations for magic items? (edit - 5e!)

The Glyphstone
2022-03-28, 01:36 PM
What edition? It sounds like 5e, so assuming yes, what rarity can you go up to?

Princess Kairi
2022-03-28, 01:48 PM
What edition? It sounds like 5e, so assuming yes, what rarity can you go up to?

5e yes also he legit said AND I QUOTE "pick a magic item" :smallbiggrin: he said it can be anything and he will decide if he needs to change it a little bit for balancing.

Catullus64
2022-03-28, 02:34 PM
If there's really no limit for the Rarity of the item... Robe of the Archmage? Defender? Armor of Invulnerability? Ioun Stone of Absorption or Mastery? Luck Blade? All solid options, the Robe of the Archmage would be my pick here.

Happy Birthday!

Grod_The_Giant
2022-03-28, 02:47 PM
Assuming you're not going to something insane like a Robe of the Archmage, I'd say maybe Bracers of Armor-- combined with Mage Armor, that'll give you an impressive high AC even before you think about Bladesong and Shield. I used them for quite a while with my Bladesinger, and for a while at mid-levels the only things that were hitting me were crits.

...speaking of, if you don't have a great Constitution, an Amulet of Health isn't a bad idea, either.

I've also just gotten my hands on a Scimitar of Speed for my Bladesinger, which I'm excited about. Cast a strong spell AND attack in the same turn!

For something a little more interesting, have you checked out the various magic spellbooks in Tasha's? There's one for each school of magic, and they come with a bunch of spells already scribed and some nifty charge-based abilities. (I quite like the Atlas of Endless Horizons, which gives you an attack-dodging teleport reaction, and the Astromancy Archive, which has a bless/bane type reaction and some cool divination spells not on the wizard list)

That would probably be my first choice--the fancy spellbook. It's nifty, it's unique, it'll continue to be useful throughout the campaign, and it won't screw with balance enough to make the GM regret it.

Princess Kairi
2022-03-28, 03:54 PM
If there's really no limit for the Rarity of the item... Robe of the Archmage? Defender? Armor of Invulnerability? Ioun Stone of Absorption or Mastery? Luck Blade? All solid options, the Robe of the Archmage would be my pick here.

Happy Birthday!

Looked up the Robe that sounds like so much fun! Thank you, he'll probably do some balancing, but it seems pretty relaxed compared to other legendary items I've seen! He pretty much told me "go crazy ill figure it out how to make it work in the campaign" XD:smallredface:

Princess Kairi
2022-03-28, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Grod_The_Giant; it won't screw with balance enough to make the GM regret it.[/QUOTE]

The fun part is that it's two birthdays this week in a new campaign so two of us get magical items at level 3 XD:smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2022-03-28, 05:07 PM
The fun part is that it's two birthdays this week in a new campaign so two of us get magical items at level 3 XD:smalltongue:
If that's the case, I vote you do the GM a favor in return and ask for something weird and character-defining. Ride around in an Apparatus of Kwalish. Take an Orb Of Dragonkind and see what happens when word gets around. Pick up a Ring of Elemental Command and go questing for elementals to enslave. See what Vecna has to say when you start playing with a Tome of the Stilled Tongue. Have a professor give you an Iron Flask and start playing Pokémon. Find a sentient item and get a roleplay buddy in the bargain.

Or even go for a less powerful item that fills the same "fun and weird" role. A Bag of Devouring, or Portable Hole, or Cloak of the Bat, or a Figurine of Wondrous Power, or Ring of Shooting Stars or Telekinesis, or... you get the idea.

Basically, something that's not an obvious combat upgrade or something you'd normally buy if given the chance. Something that gives you new options, rather than raw numerical improvement. This is a flat gift; there's not really an opportunity cost in the decision, so pick something that would normally not be worth said cost.

Princess Kairi
2022-03-28, 05:48 PM
If that's the case, I vote you do the GM a favor in return and ask for something weird and character-defining. Ride around in an Apparatus of Kwalish. Take an Orb Of Dragonkind and see what happens when word gets around. Pick up a Ring of Elemental Command and go questing for elementals to enslave. See what Vecna has to say when you start playing with a Tome of the Stilled Tongue. Have a professor give you an Iron Flask and start playing Pokémon. Find a sentient item and get a roleplay buddy in the bargain.

Or even go for a less powerful item that fills the same "fun and weird" role. A Bag of Devouring, or Portable Hole, or Cloak of the Bat, or a Figurine of Wondrous Power, or Ring of Shooting Stars or Telekinesis, or... you get the idea.

Basically, something that's not an obvious combat upgrade or something you'd normally buy if given the chance. Something that gives you new options, rather than raw numerical improvement. This is a flat gift; there's not really an opportunity cost in the decision, so pick something that would normally not be worth said cost.

Love this idea... will probably go with something similar to these sadly I don't want to inconvenience him too bad of how we got the item. Were in the middle of a forest in the campaign after an "institute breakout" campaign start. I will look into these ideas and see if they might not be too inconvenient for him XD