PDA

View Full Version : "Recall Spirit" spell

YellowJohn
2022-03-28, 03:45 PM
Hey Playground

There's a list in the front of the Spell Compendium marking spells which have had their names officially changed. One of them is 'Recall Spirit', which has had its name changed to 'Revenance'.

I can't find any trace that the 'Recall Spirit' spell ever existed.

I've gone through the regular search avenues to no avail - even Google is drawing a blank. So I'm calling in The Hivemind. Does anyone know where this obscure old spell could be found?

Temotei
2022-03-28, 03:58 PM
The only recall spirit I know about is the spirit shaman class feature, which is a spell-like ability, but neither Complete Divine nor its predecessors seem to have recall spirit as a spell.

Jay R
2022-03-28, 04:00 PM
The only version of "Recall Spirit" I know about is a class feature available to 11th level Spirit Shamans. It's similar to revenance but certainly not identical.

YellowJohn
2022-03-28, 05:46 PM
That's the only mention of it I can find too, and I can find versions of Revenance going back to Magic of Faerun in 3.0

I'm wondering if the spell didn't just come to Matthew Sernett and friends in a dream.
Or a drunken stupor
Or maybe an ice-cream headache :smallconfused:

If The Hivemind can't find a reference in a week or so, it will appear in my spell list as 'This spell does not exist' :smallamused:

Blackhawk748
2022-03-28, 06:33 PM
Anyone check OA? Cuz it sounds like it's be an OA spell

Thurbane
2022-03-28, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I can concur with others: only mentions I can dig up are CD as a class ability of the Spirit Shaman, and an (erroneous) mention in SC.

Nothing in OA.

nedz
2022-03-30, 07:37 PM
IIRC there was an AD&D spell of that name which allowed you to bypass the elven immunity to Raise Dead.

sreservoir
2022-03-30, 09:45 PM
The only version of "Recall Spirit" I know about is a class feature available to 11th level Spirit Shamans. It's similar to revenance but certainly not identical.

The spirit shaman class feature seems to be nigh-identical to revivify, rather than revenance. Quite odd.

Zombulian
2022-03-31, 01:30 AM
Nothing in OA.

Not even in the Mahasarpa supplemental PDF. On the subject, though, maybe it wasn't a 1st party spell? Is it possible it was from one of the LFR d20 products?

Tzardok
2022-03-31, 02:38 AM
Or Dragon Magazine?

Jervis
2022-03-31, 02:54 AM
IIRC there was an AD&D spell of that name which allowed you to bypass the elven immunity to Raise Dead.
GYGAAAAAAAAXXXXX!!!!! Why must you have so many pointless rules for edge cases!

Or Dragon Magazine?

all i see is Recall Spell from 1e.

ShurikVch
2022-03-31, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Arcane Spellbook (by Mongoose Publishing) have the Recall Spirit as 5th-level Sorcerer/Wizard Necromancy spell:

Brings a spirit or soul back to its original body

YellowJohn
2022-03-31, 05:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who has looked.
I doubt anything by Mongoose Publishing got a shout out in Spell Compendium, so I'm going with Thrubane and declaring the Spell Compendium mention erroneous.

If it existed, it was tucked away in an obscure corner of the WOTC website, and there's no finding it now.

Vaern
2022-03-31, 08:13 PM
Maybe it was meant to indicate that the spirit shaman's Recall Spirit ability had been adapted into the Revivify spell, but Revenance was erroneously entered instead. As has already been mentioned, the class feature and the spell do look awfully similar.

Spell Compendium does list all of its sources at the end, including a few dozen articles from WotC's site and Dragon Magazine. Assuming the original spell is real and the original source still exists, that could help narrow your search considerably.

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-31, 11:06 PM
I think this "problem" needs to be approached on a meta-level for rules.

Technically "SLA" refer to "Spells" and call out any specific exceptions compared to regularly casting a spell. This is also true for those SLA where the spell in question does not really exist, but sole on a virtual level.

The "Recall Spirit" ability is such an edge chase.

So, if I would draw a conclusion now, this basically means that the Spirit Shaman's ability gets renamed with the introduction of the Spell Compendium.

Since this change was made via the Spell Compendium, the Primary Source Rule (book precedence) forbids to make direct changes to the Spirit Shaman's ability. But since the Spell Compendium claims supremacy over "Spells" it can sneak in this change via targeting the "virtual assumed spell" for the SLA ability in question.

messy 3.5 rules as its best...^^