View Full Version : Player Help Mount for my Catfolk Bard

Mordante
2022-03-29, 01:20 AM
The party I play in consists of the following people

1) Lizardfolk Hexblade with a dire wolverine mount
2) Half Elf Ranger with a his own horse of some kind
3) Gnome wizard who can summon a mount
4) Me a Catfolk bard, with no mount

While my 40' base speed and decent con means that I can keep up with most mounts if we travel. I would really like to own my own mount. I did look up some mounts, but most guides or articles about mount seem to focus on mounted combat. I don't see my Bard doing mounted combat, ride is a cross class skill. So I will spent two skill points so I have 1 level ride, but not much more than that.

But I would like a fitting impressive mount something to befit my ego/status. My character isn't good aligned, not pure evil for evil sakes. But she didn't have an issue what flogging someone for no other reason then to establish who is boss and that crossing her is not a good idea. I didn't kill the prisoner. I tell you this because I'm not opposed to owning an evil aligned mount.

Any tips are welcome. Important is that a gish, bard catfolk would find the mount impressive.

Gorthawar
2022-03-29, 09:43 AM
How do you intend to aquire said mount? Do you intend to get it through a feat / class feature or just go to the "shop" and buy it?
Also what level are you playing at?

Edit: You can get a trained Griffon for 8,500gp I believe or use the Warbeast template on a lion / tiger / other creature for a reasonable price as well.

Blackhawk748
2022-03-29, 10:10 AM
Get a Worg. Entirely because it is ironic and amusing.

Also you can just pay them like a mercenary.

Mordante
2022-03-30, 01:13 AM
How do you intend to aquire said mount? Do you intend to get it through a feat / class feature or just go to the "shop" and buy it?
Also what level are you playing at?

Edit: You can get a trained Griffon for 8,500gp I believe or use the Warbeast template on a lion / tiger / other creature for a reasonable price as well.

Shop and buy. It's an vanity "item". I want to be impressive.

Mordante
2022-03-30, 01:13 AM
Get a Worg. Entirely because it is ironic and amusing.

Also you can just pay them like a mercenary.

That might indeed be a good idea. I also saw a Giant Cat somewhere. But I think it is Home Brew

remetagross
2022-03-30, 03:14 AM
A Warbeast Dire Bat is an excellent buy. It is extremely cheap: only 400gp. It is also rather sturdy as far as mounts go, with an impressive 20 AC right off the bat (hehe). It meshes with the "bad boy" vibe you want to give off. It also brings blindsense to the table, which diversifies your perception options and meshes nicely with the fluff of a Bard experimenting with sound. But most importantly, it will give you an all-day long 50ft flight speed, at a price much lower than any flight-giving magic item, and with good maneuverability to boot, which means you're allowed to hover.

Mordante
2022-03-30, 07:09 AM
A Warbeast Dire Bat is an excellent buy. It is extremely cheap: only 400gp. It is also rather sturdy as far as mounts go, with an impressive 20 AC right off the bat (hehe). It meshes with the "bad boy" vibe you want to give off. It also brings blindsense to the table, which diversifies your perception options and meshes nicely with the fluff of a Bard experimenting with sound. But most importantly, it will give you an all-day long 50ft flight speed, at a price much lower than any flight-giving magic item, and with good maneuverability to boot, which means you're allowed to hover.

I like your idea very much, thank you.

remetagross
2022-03-30, 07:21 AM
Glad to have helped :smallsmile:

Feldar
2022-03-30, 11:41 AM
I have yet to meet a cat who doesn't like lying in the sun on a carpet, so I suggest a flying carpet.

liquidformat
2022-03-30, 11:52 AM

If you have access to it I would tack on magebred template it makes for a smarter easier to use mount and will give a very nice boost.

Alternatively Warbeast or magebred warbeast lion/tiger/dire lion/dire puma would be fun for your pun pun catfolk riding a cat. I would go with Dire Puma since they have a climb speed.

If you want to put a bit more build resources into your mount and have it stay relevant for longer, wild cohort, Leadership, or Improved Familiar are all great ways to go.

Gorthawar
2022-03-31, 03:00 AM
A Warbeast Dire Bat is an excellent buy.

Whilst I can attest to the awesomeness of a dire bat mount (currently playing a gnome ranger with a dungeonbred dire bat myself) make sure to invest in something like feather fall or boots of landing. Especially with only 1 rank in ride. My DM managed to knock me off or knock the mount out several times already.

Something else that might be more or less impressive depending on your campaign is a brass steed or clockwork steed. Anyone can ride a "bite your face off monster" but you're having a robot!

Mordante
2022-03-31, 04:04 AM
Whilst I can attest to the awesomeness of a dire bat mount (currently playing a gnome ranger with a dungeonbred dire bat myself) make sure to invest in something like feather fall or boots of landing. Especially with only 1 rank in ride. My DM managed to knock me off or knock the mount out several times already.

Something else that might be more or less impressive depending on your campaign is a brass steed or clockwork steed. Anyone can ride a "bite your face off monster" but you're having a robot!

If my DM will allow for a magebred or warbeast Dire Bat I will invest is a harness. Good tip. Preferably a harness so i can have snoose.