PDA

View Full Version : Artificer attuning multiple all-purpose tools

Aalbatr0ss
2022-03-29, 09:48 AM
Dumb question...
My L10 artificer just got and attuned a new +2 all purpose tool but didn't un-attune the old +1.
Obviously the bonuses don't stack. But what about the all-purpose tool letting you take an extra cantrip.

We're going into a combat where it would be really nice to have thorn whip, but earlier in the day I used my old tool to temp-learn gust.

I'm not even sure you're allowed to attune multiples of the same item / different rarity. This just came up because I wasn't paying attention.

PhantomSoul
2022-03-29, 09:53 AM
I'm not even sure you're allowed to attune multiples of the same item / different rarity. This just came up because I wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, DMG (138) has:

Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than
one copy of an item. For example, a creature cannot
attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

But doesn't specify (to my knowledge) whether changing the +1ness of the item matters. Question for the DM! (And regardless, best to bring it to the DM anyhow; they may decide taking different cantrips makes them different, for example.)

Aalbatr0ss
2022-03-29, 10:05 AM
Yeah, DMG (138) has:

But doesn't specify (to my knowledge) whether changing the +1ness of the item matters. Question for the DM! (And regardless, best to bring it to the DM anyhow; they may decide taking different cantrips makes them different, for example.)

Thanks. I figured it was in there somewhere, and I just checked the wrong places.

PhantomSoul
2022-03-29, 10:12 AM
Thanks. I figured it was in there somewhere, and I just checked the wrong places.

I checked the PHB first thinking it was there... but of course attunement isn't in the Player's Handbook in 5e -.-

Psyren
2022-03-29, 11:57 AM
I checked the PHB first thinking it was there... but of course attunement isn't in the Player's Handbook in 5e -.-

...Should it be? The rules for magic items being in the DMG have been a thing for three editions now.

Pex
2022-03-29, 12:01 PM
...Should it be? The rules for magic items being in the DMG have been a thing for three editions now.

When it comes to attunement yes because that's a rule directly affecting the PC. The player has every right to know what limitations and privileges his character has. The player is the one playing it.

Psyren
2022-03-29, 12:08 PM
When it comes to attunement yes because that's a rule directly affecting the PC. The player has every right to know what limitations and privileges his character has. The player is the one playing it.

But the DM is the one placing items in the world, so they should know whether duplicates are beneficial before they place them.

PhantomSoul
2022-03-29, 12:27 PM
But the DM is the one placing items in the world, so they should know whether duplicates are beneficial before they place them.

It's not just this part of attunement that's in the DMG but not the PHB... it's all of attunement. (But really, I'd put a potentially important limitation to item combinations in the PHB. It's fine if they're reiterated in the DMG, though, obviously.)

Psyren
2022-03-29, 12:30 PM
It's not just this part of attunement that's in the DMG but not the PHB... it's all of attunement. (But really, I'd put a potentially important limitation to item combinations in the PHB. It's fine if they're reiterated in the DMG, though, obviously.)

I wouldn't personally mind if that info was also included in the PHB, but WotC deciding that the DMG should be the primary location for that makes sense. Magic items themselves are entirely optional, so having attunement (even in terms of quantity) be player-facing can set expectations around how many they should be expecting to receive that the DM might then be pressured to align with.

Eriol
2022-03-29, 12:57 PM
IMO a +1 item and a +2 item (or whatever other variants like that) are not the same item. Thus you can attune two. As stated, the bonuses don't stack (same effect) but they are definitely different items. They even have different rarities! That alone is enough to make the difference RAW in my opinion.

And if a player wants to make the "I'll burn an attunement slot for a cantrip" exchange (even an artificer who gets extra attunement slots), then OK, go for broke. If I wanted to limit it, I might make you cast it from the correct item, so you have to take them in and out so the right one is in your hand (or in each hand, no shield!), but that would be beyond RAW, as the text doesn't say that the specific tool has to be in your hands (just the general thing about artificers that they need some type of tool in their hands, the "Tools Required" under Spellcasting).

Pex
2022-03-30, 02:07 AM

The player needs to know he has three attunement slots and the general rule of stacking. He needs to know how to attune items, what it means, and it would be nice to be offered advice in magic item rich games on what to do when he has more than three magic items that require attunement. The DM needs to know what magic items do and the consequences of their power in the game. It would be nice to have advice on how to handle different types of campaigns distinguishing between magic item poor, magic item rich, and somewhere in between. The DM needs to know how to introduce magic items into the campaigns, to be given advice about treasure loot, patron reward, a PC making one, to have a magic item market/shop or not and what to do if there is one, and ideas about a magic item that grows in power as the PC gains levels.

Everything is intertwined. If you care about PC or DM facing it's fine a distinction is made about which advice goes where, but nothing is forbidden knowledge when it comes to game rules.

Psyren
2022-03-30, 08:34 AM
The player needs to know he has three attunement slots and the general rule of stacking. He needs to know how to attune items, what it means, and it would be nice to be offered advice in magic item rich games on what to do when he has more than three magic items that require attunement. The DM needs to know what magic items do and the consequences of their power in the game. It would be nice to have advice on how to handle different types of campaigns distinguishing between magic item poor, magic item rich, and somewhere in between. The DM needs to know how to introduce magic items into the campaigns, to be given advice about treasure loot, patron reward, a PC making one, to have a magic item market/shop or not and what to do if there is one, and ideas about a magic item that grows in power as the PC gains levels.

Everything is intertwined. If you care about PC or DM facing it's fine a distinction is made about which advice goes where, but nothing is forbidden knowledge when it comes to game rules.

I didn't say anything about "forbidden knowledge," only expectations (see above.)

Chronos
2022-03-30, 03:42 PM
In any event, you can certainly unattune the old one and attune the new one, and when you attune the new one, you can use its ability to pick a new cantrip if you'd like.