PDA

View Full Version : Help me to optimize a TabaxiÂ’ natural weapons attack damage

Rtgamer
2022-03-29, 12:46 PM
My basic concept is a Tabaxi Big ole Tomcat with a charismatic side. I’ll call him Mits “ short for Mittens”
The party members are a band. 3 elvish bards and a dwarf fighter on drums. Mits can be any class or multi as IÂ’ve rolled #s 18 16 15 14 10 8. we all get a free feat at write up.. IÂ’m considering Alert because heÂ’s a Cat, Slasher because him gots Claws, thanks in advance yall

JNAProductions
2022-03-29, 12:47 PM
Fighter is a simple way to do that.
Lots of attacks, can use Strength well, gets extra ASIs to pump up Charisma.

Sorinth
2022-03-29, 01:17 PM
Beast Barbarian or Monk can work as unarmed attackers though it's replacing the Tabaxi claw.

Maybe ask your DM if you can use Dex instead of Strength for the claws and have the claws work with Sneak Attack because a Rogue certainly fits the vibe I get from Charismatic Tomcat.

RogueJK
2022-03-29, 01:20 PM
Beast Barbarian or Monk can work as unarmed attackers though it's replacing the Tabaxi claw.

Or both.

Tabaxi Monk 1/Beast Barbarian X, starting Monk
STR 15+2
DEX 18
CON 16+1
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 10
Take Slasher +1 STR (18) as your free feat at Level 1, then either Alert or something like Chef or Skill Expert for 18 CON next, followed by maxing out STR, then maxing out CON.

Gets you 2x claw attacks right off the bat at Monk 1 with Tabaxi Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw, then at Monk 1/Beast Barbarian 3 you get 3x claw attacks while Raging with Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw, then 4x claw attacks while Raging at Monk 1/Barbarian 5 with Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw.

That's the same number of claw attacks per turn as a 20th level Tabaxi Fighter, but 14 levels sooner. Plus you'd get Rage damage bonus to all of those numerous attacks.

From there I'd go straight Beast Barbarian to at least Barbarian 10, but if you want even more claw attacks, you could take 2x Fighter levels, for 7x claw attacks in a turn when you Action Surge.

Or you could eventually squeeze out 5x claw attacks every turn (and 9x claw attacks with Action Surge) by going up to something like Monk 1/Beast Barbarian 5/Battlemaster Fighter 11. That'd be Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw.

Or something like Battlemaster Fighter 11/Beast Barbarian 5/Monk 2 could eventually have 6x claw attacks when they Flurry (and 10x claw attacks with Action Surge). Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Flurry Tabaxi Claw+Tabaxi Claw.

Unoriginal
2022-03-29, 02:14 PM
My basic concept is a Tabaxi Big ole Tomcat with a charismatic side. I’ll call him Mits “ short for Mittens”
The party members are a band. 3 elvish bards and a dwarf fighter on drums. Mits can be any class or multi as IÂ’ve rolled #s 18 16 15 14 10 8. we all get a free feat at write up.. IÂ’m considering Alert because heÂ’s a Cat, Slasher because him gots Claws, thanks in advance yall

The Unarmed fighting style (available to Fighters or people with Fighting Initiate feat) makes unarmed strikes 1d8+STR mod if you don't use a shield, 1d6+STR mod with a shield. It applies to Tabaxi claws.

RogueJK
2022-03-29, 02:36 PM
It applies to Tabaxi claws.

Kinda, but not really.

It allows your unarmed strikes to do 1d6/1d8 Bludgeoning damage. So taking that Fighting style would give you the choice of doing either the 1d4 slashing damage from Tabaxi natural weapon claws or the option of a less cat-like "punch" for a bit more blunt force damage.

However, if your DM allows you to retain the claws' slashing damage and just boost the damage dice of the claws with the Fighting Style, that'd be a good option to squeeze out a few more points of damage from your claw attacks each turn.

Rtgamer
2022-03-29, 02:39 PM
Fighter is a simple way to do that.
Lots of attacks, can use Strength well, gets extra ASIs to pump up Charisma.

Many thanks JNA, thinking now Tabaxi Brute fighter w/ Slasher feat and unarmed fighting style.. does UFS work with claws?

JNAProductions
2022-03-29, 02:40 PM
Many thanks JNA, thinking now Tabaxi Brute fighter w/ Slasher feat and unarmed fighting style.. does UFS work with claws?

It changes them to Bludgeoning if you use the increased die size.

But ask your DM if you can keep Slashing damage-I’d allow it for sure.

Eriol
2022-03-29, 03:20 PM
TL; DR; I think a Tabaxi Monk is doing slashing damage with dex all the time if they wish, RAW even.

Here's the weird part IMO: Monks are doing unarmed strikes all the time. That's what their Martial Arts are. The Martial Arts feature doesn't seem to substitute whole-hog the unarmed strikes language, it just "augments" it IMO. Here's the important text for Martial Arts:

MARTIAL ARTS
At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:

You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table.

My takeaway here is that what we usually call attacking with Martial Arts is actually attacking with either a "monk weapon" or it is an unarmed strike. This is important because of the text of the Tabaxi claws feature in Volo's:

Cat's Claws - Because of your claws, you have a climbing speed of 20 feet. In addition, your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
So using the claws are unarmed strikes. It modifies the unarmed strikes rules. And so does Martial Arts. But I don't see anything here that says you must pick one or the other (like with choosing your AC bonus). Mix-and-match I'd say! You want to do the monk thing, but use slashing from your claws? Great! Go for it! I'd even say you get to choose if you want to do bludgeoning (regular monk thing) or slashing, and you get your martial arts die (and using dex) either way.

Rtgamer
2022-03-30, 08:08 AM
TL; DR; I think a Tabaxi Monk is doing slashing damage with dex all the time if they wish, RAW even.

Here's the weird part IMO: Monks are doing unarmed strikes all the time. That's what their Martial Arts are. The Martial Arts feature doesn't seem to substitute whole-hog the unarmed strikes language, it just "augments" it IMO. Here's the important text for Martial Arts:

My takeaway here is that what we usually call attacking with Martial Arts is actually attacking with either a "monk weapon" or it is an unarmed strike. This is important because of the text of the Tabaxi claws feature in Volo's:

So using the claws are unarmed strikes. It modifies the unarmed strikes rules. And so does Martial Arts. But I don't see anything here that says you must pick one or the other (like with choosing your AC bonus). Mix-and-match I'd say! You want to do the monk thing, but use slashing from your claws? Great! Go for it! I'd even say you get to choose if you want to do bludgeoning (regular monk thing) or slashing, and you get your martial arts die (and using dex) either way.

Thank you Eriol, I’ll be bringing up these points you’ve made.

Rtgamer
2022-03-30, 08:13 AM
Or both.

STR 15+2
DEX 18
CON 16+1
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 10
Take Slasher +1 STR (18) as your free feat at Level 1, then either Alert or something like Chef or Skill Expert for 18 CON next, followed by maxing out STR, then maxing out CON.

Gets you 2x claw attacks right off the bat at Monk 1 with Tabaxi Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw, then at Monk 1/Beast Barbarian 3 you get 3x claw attacks while Raging with Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw, then 4x claw attacks while Raging at Monk 1/Barbarian 5 with Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw.

That's the same number of claw attacks per turn as a 20th level Tabaxi Fighter, but 14 levels sooner. Plus you'd get Rage damage bonus to all of those numerous attacks.

From there I'd go straight Beast Barbarian to at least Barbarian 10, but if you want even more claw attacks, you could take 2x Fighter levels, for 7x claw attacks in a turn when you Action Surge.

Or you could eventually squeeze out 5x claw attacks every turn (and 9x claw attacks with Action Surge) by going up to something like Monk 1/Beast Barbarian 5/Battlemaster Fighter 11. That'd be Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Tabaxi Claw.

Or something like Battlemaster Fighter 11/Beast Barbarian 5/Monk 2 could eventually have 6x claw attacks when they Flurry (and 10x claw attacks with Action Surge). Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+Beast Claw+BA Flurry Tabaxi Claw+Tabaxi Claw.

Wow! That’s like cat scratch fever!

CTurbo
2022-03-30, 08:58 AM
Or both.

STR 15+2
DEX 18
CON 16+1
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 10

I like this, but I'd go Battlemaster 11, Beast Barb 3, Open Hand Monk 3, Gloom Stalker Ranger 3

You get the 3 Fighter attacks with all the fun maneuvers, the Barb's unarmored AC and a few Rages, The Monk's Martial Arts with a few ki per short rest, and the Gloom Stalker's super first turn and some utility.

Fighting Styles - Unarmed Fighting and uh.... Blind Fighting? Archery? Superior Technique?

RogueJK
2022-03-30, 03:36 PM
I like this, but I'd go Battlemaster 11, Beast Barb 3, Open Hand Monk 3, Gloom Stalker Ranger 3

If starting in Tier 4, I agree. But that quad-class build would take a while to get up to speed from low levels.

Whereas I was basing mine off starting off Monk 1/Barbarian 5, just to get the core of the build online ASAP. And only then potentially adding in Fighter and/or Ranger from there.

Plus, realistically you'd want to get to Beast Barbarian 6 ASAP to make your claw attacks magical, since you start running into nonmagic B/P/S resistance/immunity in Tier 2. (Unless you otherwise have access to something like an Insignia of Claws.)

Rtgamer
2022-03-30, 06:07 PM
If starting in Tier 4, I agree. But that quad-class build would take a while to get up to speed from low levels.

Whereas I was basing mine off starting off Monk 1/Barbarian 5, just to get the core of the build online ASAP. And only then potentially adding in Fighter and/or Ranger from there.

Plus, realistically you'd want to get to Beast Barbarian 6 ASAP to make your claw attacks magical, since you start running into nonmagic B/P/S resistance/immunity in Tier 2. (Unless you otherwise have access to something like an Insignia of Claws.)

Thanks guys, a lot to consider here. But I’d like to share where I see this build so far and hope I’ve done well.
Mittens a Tabaxi will enter the campaign at lvl 3
Str 18 Dex 18 Con 16 Wis 14 Int 10 Cha 9 after all racial and slasher feat adjustments considered.
Barbarian 1 for UAD and Rage; then Fighter using UAFS. Looking to Subclass Brute. Next 2 ASIÂ’s for abilities Str&Con. One multiclass is enough for me I think. Feats of interest are Alert and Resilient for Int saves and Magic initiate for Rp. And Mage Slayer for hates those guys. Does the Build seem Solid to you folks? Thanks again for your time

CTurbo
2022-03-30, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys, a lot to consider here. But I’d like to share where I see this build so far and hope I’ve done well.
Mittens a Tabaxi will enter the campaign at lvl 3
Str 18 Dex 18 Con 16 Wis 14 Int 10 Cha 9 after all racial and slasher feat adjustments considered.
Barbarian 1 for UAD and Rage; then Fighter using UAFS. Looking to Subclass Brute. Next 2 ASIÂ’s for abilities Str&Con. One multiclass is enough for me I think. Feats of interest are Alert and Resilient for Int saves and Magic initiate for Rp. And Mage Slayer for hates those guys. Does the Build seem Solid to you folks? Thanks again for your time

Brute is simple and effective. I like it.

Were you planning on going more Barb or Fighter, and which Barb subclass were you thinking?

Alert is a good feat and fits what you're looking for.
I love Magic Initiate on Fighter. It adds great utility. What spell and cantrips were you thinking?
Resilient is a great feat, but I recommend Wisdom instead of Int unless you know for sure you're facing a BBEG that targets Int. Plus, at level 6, Brute gets to add 1d6 to any failed save.
Mage Slayer is a hard pass. I can't think of any example character that I would want to take it with. MAYBE high level Monk?

Mobile and Lucky are solid feats and would be fitting for a Tabaxi. I love Ritual Caster(Wizard) for Fighters/Barbs looking for more utility.

Rtgamer
2022-04-01, 10:41 PM
Brute is simple and effective. I like it.

Were you planning on going more Barb or Fighter, and which Barb subclass were you thinking?

Alert is a good feat and fits what you're looking for.
I love Magic Initiate on Fighter. It adds great utility. What spell and cantrips were you thinking?
Resilient is a great feat, but I recommend Wisdom instead of Int unless you know for sure you're facing a BBEG that targets Int. Plus, at level 6, Brute gets to add 1d6 to any failed save.
Mage Slayer is a hard pass. I can't think of any example character that I would want to take it with. MAYBE high level Monk?

Mobile and Lucky are solid feats and would be fitting for a Tabaxi. I love Ritual Caster(Wizard) for Fighters/Barbs looking for more utility.

For cantrips I was thinking the Druid route: poison spray & primal savagery. spell: good berry
Reconsidering barb 2 before fighter Lvls but will likely get another barb level in for Totem BearÂ…. Bearcat!
IÂ’m going to see if I can get the Eldritch Claw Tattoo from the inheritor background with a good backstory; something else I made need helpful suggestions for.

JNAProductions
2022-04-02, 10:46 AM
For cantrips I was thinking the Druid route: poison spray & primal savagery. spell: good berry
Reconsidering barb 2 before fighter Lvls but will likely get another barb level in for Totem BearÂ…. Bearcat!
IÂ’m going to see if I can get the Eldritch Claw Tattoo from the inheritor background with a good backstory; something else I made need helpful suggestions for.

Gonna recommend NOT Poison Spray-it's not good, even if it had a better damage type.

Thorn Whip is pretty good, though! Pull opponents near you to force AoOs when they walk away, or have them nearby on your next turn to pummel on 'em!

RogueJK
2022-04-02, 11:31 AM

Poison Spray is one of the worst cantrips in the game. It does the worst form of elemental damage (the list of poison resistant/immune enemies is seriously long), it targets most enemies' strongest save (CON), and it has a pitiful range (10'). If you're going to get within 10' to use Poison Spray, you're better off just moving 5' further and swiping at them with your Tabaxi claws.

And Primal Savagery doesn't get you anything either. You already have a better option for a melee attack with your Tabaxi claws. You're going for a Barbarian/Fighter build that gets multiple attacks, and adds Rage damage to all your melee attacks, and gets Reckless Attack, none of which would apply to Primal Savagery. And your STR bonus is twice as high as your WIS bonus anyway, so you'll have a better chance to hit with attacks using your claws or other STR-based melee weapons than you would with the WIS-based Primal Savagery attack.

Plus, even without factoring in the attack accuracy difference between 18 STR vs. 14 WIS, you'd be doing more overall damage with your Tabaxi claws anyway. Your Tabaxi claw's d4+4 (5-8/6.5 avg damage) matches Primal Savagery's d12 (1-12/6.5 avg damage). And from Fighter 5+, multiple attacks means multiple chances to hit or critically hit, for all damage (all hit), partial damage (some hit), or no damage (none hit), compared to Primal Savagery's all-or-nothing lone attack in a turn. When you start stacking on further damage bonuses to each claw swipe, like Rage or the Eldritch Claw tattoo, the damage gap for your Tabaxi Claws grows even wider.

So if you want to take Magic Initiate Druid, instead of duplicating your Tabaxi claws with just a second worse option for another melee claw attack with Primal Savagery, pick a couple cantrips that give you abilities that you don't already have otherwise, such as:
-Thorn Whip, which give you an option to use at 30' range plus a forced movement capability
-Create Bonfire, which gives you a persistent AoE option with 60' range, and also gives you something on which to use your otherwise unused Concentration. Plus you can Grapple foes - at Advantage while Raging - and drag them into the bonfire's AoE for repeated additional damage on multiple turns while you're also slashing them with your claws.
-Guidance, which could be a good pick to boost skill checks.
-Mold Earth, a utility cantrip which has a lot of uses for a creative player. (I mean... cats like to dig, right?)