PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an adventure

KyleG
2022-03-29, 02:00 PM
Is there a module, adventure, even campaign or someone's wayward thoughts on an adventure, perhaps even a one shot that takes place within a town cut off from the world at large. In thinking under the dome type scenario. Can see out, can see in but can't get thru save the elements.
Low level, say L3. Don't think I'm equipped to create an adventure yet. Tweak one sure, fit into a setting, hopefully but would feel more comfortable with a framework.

Alternatively, I'm also looking for a western type town, old mining type that might have some issues with the mines. I've actually got this critters like image in my head, town built around the shifting sands, dune and worms vibe.

Grod_The_Giant
2022-03-29, 02:35 PM
What system?

Your critters-in-the-mine idea makes me think of Deadlands, a weird west/horror game. Between the Classic, Savage Worlds, and SWADE versions, there's a wealth of modules, adventure ideas, and setting books. Even if you want to stick with a more familiar system, there's still a lot you can find. Coffin Rock (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/58281) is a classic about a small mining town full of secrets and horror.

KyleG
2022-03-29, 03:12 PM
5e. I keep forgetting this is a multi rpg forum. But I'll look at any adventure i might be able to shoehorn.

BRC
2022-03-29, 04:15 PM
I don't have a module or anything, but I can whip up a decent framework combining both those features.

You've got the Desert town of Scorchrock, built around the Scorchrock Mines.

The town has only been around for about 10 years, a man (Insert name here, we'll call him MAYOR) discovered the mine about 10 years ago. Mayor is both the Mayor and the Mine Owner.

Things have been pretty good, however, recently, Troubles have begun. Anytime somebody tries to leave town, a sandstorm rises up out of nowhere. Those that turn back quickly are able to return to town. Others are never heard from again. The Mayor has told everybody not to worry, just keep working, the storms will clear up and the next shipment will go out on schedule and they'll all be rich.

Down in the mine, Miners have heard strange sounds coming from Shaft #2, which has long since been ordered sealed. Mayor ordered the entrance to Shaft #2 collapsed, but there are reports of minors going missing in the Mines.

When the Mining operation started, Shaft #2 broke into the tomb complex of an ancient king, who captured the Miners. Mayor negotiated with the King, now a Mummy, and they reached a deal. Mayor and his miners could work the rich veins for ten years, after which point they would be expected to construct a Palace worthy of a King, from where the King could awaken his mummified advisors and start to rebuild his kingdom.

Mayor had no intention of ever honoring this deal, he figured he'd get as much money out of the mine as he could and make a run for it. Unfortunately, he misjudged the timing, or the Mummy got impatient/ suspicious and started summoning the Sandstorms to block people from leaving.

While Shaft #2 is blocked, tunnels do connect it to other parts of the mine. The Mummy has been slowly awakening it's undead servants into the mine, hoping to find a way to the surface.

Your statblocks are a Mummy for the King, and your choice of Zombies, Skeletons, and Ghouls (Zombies and Ghouls can be refluffed to be mummified servants) as it's minions.

At CR3, the Mummy is likely to be an anticlimax as far as a final bossfight goes, I'd make sure it's got a pair of skeletons with it, or boost it's stats a little if it comes to a fight.

Significant NPCs

The Mayor: Greedy and cowardly, perhaps a low-level spellcaster. He's hoping that the situation just kind of goes away, otherwise he's hoping he can convince the mummy that he's going to take the last shipment of ore and use the money to hire skilled craftsmen for the palace, and skip town, leaving the Miners and townsfolk to the Mummy's mercy.

The Sherrif: An Ogre, pretty dumb but the Mayor's Muscle.

Barkeep: The only Miner from Shaft #2 who is still around. She doesn't know exactly what deal was struck between the Mayor and the undead, but he knows about the tomb. The mayor keeps her quiet with threats and bribes.

The angry Miner: A young miner whose friends went missing, they suspect that the Mayor is keeping secrets and want to know what is going on.

The Professor: A archeologist here to study some nearby ruins, belonging to the same civilization that made the tomb. A good source of exposition on the tomb and what the PC's might find down there, especially if the PC's take rubbings of wall carvings from the Tomb.

Potential outcomes

If the PC's slay the mummy, then the sandstorms will stop, and the shipments can continue as normal. This is what The Mayor wants to happen, but he doesn't want to tell anybody that he made a deal with an undead king, and put all the miners and townsfolk at risk with his deal. However, the Mummy is a powerful, and wrathful spirit. If the PC's simply kill the Mummy, the ancient king will place a terrible curse on the town, causing a terrible sandstorm to descend, destroying much of the town, ruining the well, and killing most of the townsfolk. Although the Mayor in his sturdy stone house is likely to survive. This warning is inscribed on the walls of the tomb, and the Mummy itself will tell them if they think to threaten it.

To stop this curse, the PC's must break into the Tomb's Vault and recover the Scepter of the Tomb Priest. The Scepter was intended to allow the mummified king to return to rest if he so desired. The Scepter can be used at-will to cast a version of the Sleep spell that only affects undead. If the Mummy goes down to this Sleep spell, the PC's can return the mummy to it's sarcophagus and it won't wake up for at least a century. The Scepter can also be used to put the Mummy's undead servants to sleep.

The Mummy is proud and angry, but not beyond reason. It's deal is with The Mayor, and can be convinced that the Miners are innocent. In that case, it can be convinced to stop the sandstorms in exchange for the Mayor either being killed for the crime of defrauding the King, or brought to the Tomb alive to be held prisoner while the fortune the Mayor earned from the mine is used to construct the Promised Palace.

If the PC's kill the Mayor and bring his head to the Mummy, the Mummy will stop the storms, warn everybody to stay out of it's mine, and return to sleep. If the latter, the Mayor will be held prisoner and his fortune will be used to build a palace, the town will go on, but the Mayor's profits will all be used to construct a palace for the Mummy.

oudeis
2022-03-29, 06:17 PM
Nice work, BRC. I think it could be a lot of fun to let the adventurers help the Mummy build his palace-nothing in the scenario specifies he's evil, right? What could be more noble than helping King Arthur rebuild Camelot?

elros
2022-03-29, 07:12 PM
You could adapt this episode, substituting illusions for holograms. It would be suitable for low level characters, especially if you wanted more role-play that combat.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Shadowplay_(episode)

KyleG
2022-03-30, 03:05 AM
I don't have a module or anything, but I can whip up a decent framework combining both those features.

You've got the Desert town of Scorchrock, built around the Scorchrock Mines.

The town has only been around for about 10 years, a man (Insert name here, we'll call him MAYOR) discovered the mine about 10 years ago. Mayor is both the Mayor and the Mine Owner.

Things have been pretty good, however, recently, Troubles have begun. Anytime somebody tries to leave town, a sandstorm rises up out of nowhere. Those that turn back quickly are able to return to town. Others are never heard from again. The Mayor has told everybody not to worry, just keep working, the storms will clear up and the next shipment will go out on schedule and they'll all be rich.

Down in the mine, Miners have heard strange sounds coming from Shaft #2, which has long since been ordered sealed. Mayor ordered the entrance to Shaft #2 collapsed, but there are reports of minors going missing in the Mines.

When the Mining operation started, Shaft #2 broke into the tomb complex of an ancient king, who captured the Miners. Mayor negotiated with the King, now a Mummy, and they reached a deal. Mayor and his miners could work the rich veins for ten years, after which point they would be expected to construct a Palace worthy of a King, from where the King could awaken his mummified advisors and start to rebuild his kingdom.

Mayor had no intention of ever honoring this deal, he figured he'd get as much money out of the mine as he could and make a run for it. Unfortunately, he misjudged the timing, or the Mummy got impatient/ suspicious and started summoning the Sandstorms to block people from leaving.

While Shaft #2 is blocked, tunnels do connect it to other parts of the mine. The Mummy has been slowly awakening it's undead servants into the mine, hoping to find a way to the surface.

Your statblocks are a Mummy for the King, and your choice of Zombies, Skeletons, and Ghouls (Zombies and Ghouls can be refluffed to be mummified servants) as it's minions.

At CR3, the Mummy is likely to be an anticlimax as far as a final bossfight goes, I'd make sure it's got a pair of skeletons with it, or boost it's stats a little if it comes to a fight.

Significant NPCs

The Mayor: Greedy and cowardly, perhaps a low-level spellcaster. He's hoping that the situation just kind of goes away, otherwise he's hoping he can convince the mummy that he's going to take the last shipment of ore and use the money to hire skilled craftsmen for the palace, and skip town, leaving the Miners and townsfolk to the Mummy's mercy.

The Sherrif: An Ogre, pretty dumb but the Mayor's Muscle.

Barkeep: The only Miner from Shaft #2 who is still around. She doesn't know exactly what deal was struck between the Mayor and the undead, but he knows about the tomb. The mayor keeps her quiet with threats and bribes.

The angry Miner: A young miner whose friends went missing, they suspect that the Mayor is keeping secrets and want to know what is going on.

The Professor: A archeologist here to study some nearby ruins, belonging to the same civilization that made the tomb. A good source of exposition on the tomb and what the PC's might find down there, especially if the PC's take rubbings of wall carvings from the Tomb.

Potential outcomes

If the PC's slay the mummy, then the sandstorms will stop, and the shipments can continue as normal. This is what The Mayor wants to happen, but he doesn't want to tell anybody that he made a deal with an undead king, and put all the miners and townsfolk at risk with his deal. However, the Mummy is a powerful, and wrathful spirit. If the PC's simply kill the Mummy, the ancient king will place a terrible curse on the town, causing a terrible sandstorm to descend, destroying much of the town, ruining the well, and killing most of the townsfolk. Although the Mayor in his sturdy stone house is likely to survive. This warning is inscribed on the walls of the tomb, and the Mummy itself will tell them if they think to threaten it.

To stop this curse, the PC's must break into the Tomb's Vault and recover the Scepter of the Tomb Priest. The Scepter was intended to allow the mummified king to return to rest if he so desired. The Scepter can be used at-will to cast a version of the Sleep spell that only affects undead. If the Mummy goes down to this Sleep spell, the PC's can return the mummy to it's sarcophagus and it won't wake up for at least a century. The Scepter can also be used to put the Mummy's undead servants to sleep.

The Mummy is proud and angry, but not beyond reason. It's deal is with The Mayor, and can be convinced that the Miners are innocent. In that case, it can be convinced to stop the sandstorms in exchange for the Mayor either being killed for the crime of defrauding the King, or brought to the Tomb alive to be held prisoner while the fortune the Mayor earned from the mine is used to construct the Promised Palace.

If the PC's kill the Mayor and bring his head to the Mummy, the Mummy will stop the storms, warn everybody to stay out of it's mine, and return to sleep. If the latter, the Mayor will be held prisoner and his fortune will be used to build a palace, the town will go on, but the Mayor's profits will all be used to construct a palace for the Mummy.

That is amazing. Whilst the two ideas were intended to be completely different you have managed to craft a clever adventure in less time than it would have taken me to get a name for the town.

I'll definitely look to borrow bits, eg. i may have become fixated on the barrier being technological in barrier in my head so something more magical is food for thought.

BRC
2022-03-30, 11:13 AM
Glad I could help. This is a pretty rough sketch, feel free to tweak the scenario as you see fit, make the Mayor or the Mummy more or less sympathetic, or change up the Mummy's minions. Just because he's an undead doesn't mean he needs to be commanding skeletons.