PDA

View Full Version : Strixhaven Initiate Reflavor?

werescythe
2022-03-29, 07:10 PM
So while I will admit that I was greatly disappointed by the Strixhaven book, now that I've cooled off, I've been able to read over it a bit and while I still believe that Backgrounds and Feats DON'T mix (and that WotC should stop trying to do this), I will say that I don't necessarily hate the feats we did get out of that book.

Now looking at the Strixhaven Initiate feat, I do kind of like it, but I do feel that it would need reflavoring depending upon the setting that you were playing in.

Thus I wanted to ask how you'd reflavor it?

Sure, I know some of you will say, "just have a different mage academy in your setting and name it after that," but that's really not all that imaginative and I think we can do better.

One thought I had is that it could be a magical blessing, boon or mutation "given" to a player character by a deity, ancient being or even a eldritch patron. With each "school" being one of those entities.

So what are other fun ways you'd like to reflavor this feat? :)

Khrysaes
2022-03-29, 07:20 PM
So while I will admit that I was greatly disappointed by the Strixhaven book, now that I've cooled off, I've been able to read over it a bit and while I still believe that Backgrounds and Feats DON'T mix (and that WotC should stop trying to do this), I will say that I don't necessarily hate the feats we did get out of that book.

Now looking at the Strixhaven Initiate feat, I do kind of like it, but I do feel that it would need reflavoring depending upon the setting that you were playing in.

Sure, I know some of you will say, "just have a different mage academy in your setting and name it after that," but that's really not all that imaginative and I think we can do better.

One thought I had is that it could be a magical blessing, boon or mutation "given" to a player character by a deity, ancient being or even a eldritch patron. With each "school" being one of those entities.

Mechanically it is magic initiate with more specialized cantrips and more flexible 1st level spells, being able to select the class and casting stat. So themaically you could use it the same as magic initiate, or something similar.

The_Jette
2022-03-29, 07:20 PM

I feel like in Faerun the idea would be to base it around which region you're from, rather than just have one-size-fits-all like with Strixhaven. For instance, as a Drow from the underdark you could have trained at the Menzoberranzan Mage School, Sorcere. As a human from Thay, you could be a Red Wizard of Thay. Maybe you studied at Candlekeep, or took an apprenticeship in the Blackstaff Tower in Waterdeep.

If you try playing in Krynn, though, you have to be from the Towers of High Sorcery.