PDA

View Full Version : Changeling clothing suggestions

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-31, 12:38 AM
I'm trying to pull off a Changeling Rogue with as little magic use as possible. What clothing would be easiest to wear for purposes of switching easily?

Best I have so far is a double sided loose leather armor or a wrap /robe.

ftafp
2022-03-31, 12:41 AM
I'm trying to pull off a Changeling Rogue with as little magic use as possible. What clothing would be easiest to wear for purposes of switching easily?

you could just shapeshift your skin into clothes and go around naked

alternatively, ask your dm if you can make clothes out of your hair with weaver's tools. As a changeling, you have full control over your hair's length and coloration.

LudicSavant
2022-03-31, 12:46 AM

There's the Bayonetta option of using your Changeling hair, as ftafp suggested.

If you don't want to do that, check out quick change artists. There's an entire art form dedicated to changing your clothes quickly, with specially designed tools and skills that have been honed over generations. Some people are simply incredible at it. :smallsmile:

Edit Here's some examples of quick change artists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIQWLo0YxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KascilkK7M

Segev
2022-03-31, 01:13 AM
Ill-fitting sackcloth can be poverty-wear for a large number of guises, if you're comfortable spending time looking destitute.

Reversible coats, vests, and cravats.

Several short bolts of fabric in complementary colors that can each be wrapped into a skirt, while the others drake around the waist , over the shoulders, etc. Maybe with sleeves to become robes. Floor-length so you can hide your feet and not bother changing shoes.

Lots of accessories that are easy to don or doff and catch the eye away from the basic tunic and pants or dress skirt beneath. Drape them on your allies and traveling companions, and shamelessly grab the ones you want off of them and slip the ones you don't back on them. Sleight of hand can make this seem natural or go unnoticed, at least temporarily.

If you're willing to go magical, eberron has Shiftweave clothing. Common magical item, becomes any of a number of outfits.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-31, 08:40 AM
Thank you all very much. That gives me the mechanical and maybe magical means I needed to pull this off!

Sigreid
2022-03-31, 09:25 AM
Whatever is popular in the area you're in. Modern day American example would be a guy in blue jeans and a black or gray t-shirt in a city.

Keltest
2022-03-31, 09:27 AM
If you want some magic armor eventually, Glamoured Studded Leather is pretty much exactly what you need.

Absent magic, I think your best bet is to get a couple outfits of "everyman" clothes that could conceivably be worn by anybody of the appropriate social class. Sackcloth for a beggar, basic tunic and pants/skirt for a commoner, etc...

Mostlymad
2022-03-31, 10:11 AM
As stated in the other thread, Shiftweave from Eberron's is a common magic item that allows you to store 5 outfits into one and change them using a bonus action.

RedMage125
2022-03-31, 10:13 AM
If you're willing to go magical, eberron has Shiftweave clothing. Common magical item, becomes any of a number of outfits.

I was also going to suggest Shiftweave.

Clarification, however, in that it is a Common magic item, and is limited to five outfits that can be changed with a bonus action.

In Exploring Eberron, there is a background for changeling that gives a set of Shiftweave as starting gear, as well as proficiency with the "Skin Cant" language, a means of communication between changelings that uses a shifting pattern of scars, tattoos and pigments to communicate silently.