PDA

View Full Version : Int based profession

Gransoley
2022-03-31, 03:50 AM
Any feat, class, affiliation or whatever you know that can make the profession skill int based before level 4?

Maat Mons
2022-03-31, 04:08 AM
Using one of the Diviner ACFs in Unearthed Arcana, you can add an insight bonus equal to your Intelligence bonus to any skill check once per day.

If you go to 5 levels in Wizard, you can also take the Domain Granted Power ACF for the Commerce domain, and gain a +10 on Profession checks to earn a living. Wizards can be pretty shrewd businessmen.

Gransoley
2022-03-31, 04:09 AM
Yeah I don't need to add int to profession, it's not hard to optimize the skill check, i need to make it int based for laborious training early entries.

Maat Mons
2022-03-31, 04:42 AM
Okay. Well, Laborious Training is from a 3rd-party book. Is all 3rd-party material on the table? Just Ravenloft material? Just books from Arthaus? Just books published under White Wolf's Sword and Sorcery imprint?

ciopo
2022-03-31, 04:52 AM
What is it that you want to early entry?

ShurikVch
2022-03-31, 05:47 AM
Checked my old thread Skills keyed from non-standard abilities... (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?578550-Skills-keyed-from-non-standard-abilities) - while there are some examples for the "Profession (Int)", most of them are required BAB +5 (or higher); Talontar Blightlord required 4th-level divine spells; Martyred Champion of Ilmater - 9 skill ranks; Ogre monstrous class don't required BAB, but with 4 racial HD and LA +2...

Gransoley
2022-03-31, 07:15 AM
Okay. Well, Laborious Training is from a 3rd-party book. Is all 3rd-party material on the table? Just Ravenloft material? Just books from Arthaus? Just books published under White Wolf's Sword and Sorcery imprint?

Ravenloft is not third party, it has the Wotc official licensed product logo. I define that as an official first party product. Some people prefer to limit the definition on whatever was made by wotc themselves but to me the definition of an official products is respected as long as it bears the official licensed product logo (with the exception of some official Websites that have the rights themselves but forgot to insert the logo into some pdfs, looking at you dark sun).

What is it that you want to early entry?
doesn't really matter, it's profession (cooking) 9 ranks, everything else is meaningless

Jervis
2022-03-31, 04:58 PM
Ravenloft is not third party, it has the Wotc official licensed product logo. I define that as an official first party product. Some people prefer to limit the definition on whatever was made by wotc themselves but to me the definition of an official products is respected as long as it bears the official licensed product logo (with the exception of some official Websites that have the rights themselves but forgot to insert the logo into some pdfs, looking at you dark sun).

doesn't really matter, it's profession (cooking) 9 ranks, everything else is meaningless

Why does the modifier matter? It’s ranks not check result

ciopo
2022-03-31, 05:29 PM
Do the lycanthrope trick? You're considering early entry anyway, so...

Or hire a 9th level bard to sing of your heroic deeds.

Is early entrying by one with favored+primary contact not enough?

I asked what you want to early entry to see if I could find some other way to help, than switching profession to int

Gransoley
2022-03-31, 05:34 PM
Do the lycanthrope trick? You're considering early entry anyway, so...

Or hire a 9th level bard to sing of your heroic deeds.

Is early entrying by one with favored+primary contact not enough?

I asked what you want to early entry to see if I could find some other way to help, than switching profession to int

Inspire greatness is out of the question, the lycanthrope trick may be ok but i don't remember it at the moment.
Unless you're talking about template stacking, but that tend to be a little too cheesy.
For what I'm trying to get into... Adamantine chef. No one even knows about stuff like this the majority of the time so i tend to not bring it up since i feel like is a waste of time, 9 rank in profession cook are not going to change even if the prc is known.

Edit: not a little bit too chessy, just not allowed at the majority of tables. To me you can play whatever you want, i have no problem with TOs.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-03-31, 06:58 PM
Skill Finesse is from Hyperconscious, which was written by the author of the Expanded Psionics Handbook. If you have Int as your key ability score for any manifesting you may have, you can make any skill you want Int-based.

Thurbane
2022-03-31, 07:18 PM
Why does the modifier matter? It’s ranks not check result

Yeah, was wondering the same.

pabelfly
2022-03-31, 07:52 PM
Yeah, was wondering the same.

The feat he wants to use to meet the minimum rank requirements early for his prestige class specifically works only for Int-based skills.

Thurbane
2022-03-31, 07:57 PM
The feat he wants to use to meet the minimum rank requirements early for his prestige class specifically works only for Int-based skills.

Ah... got it. :smallredface:

Had a quick look at this: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?578550-Skills-keyed-from-non-standard-abilities

Profession (Wis):

Cavalier (Int)
Devoted Defender (Int)
Exotic Weapon Master (Int)
Fist of Hextor (Int)
Master Thrower (Int)
Martyred Champion of Ilmater (Int)
Ogre (Int)
Ravager (Int)
Talontar Blightlord (Int)

...although those seem to mainly be errors/typos. Still, if RAW is strictly enforced, may work.

Gransoley
2022-04-01, 10:47 AM
Honestly i don't believe a strict RAW reading works for those cases. They sound like pretty good example of text trumps table to me.

Having said that, since we're on topic, what about concentration? Any early way to switch it to Int?

ShurikVch
2022-04-01, 01:06 PM
How about something like this:
start as [exalted] LG with Ilmater patron;
at the 1st level, take either Well Traveled feat (Dragon #319) for +2 ranks to Knowledge (local), or Favored and Primary Contact feats (CityScape) for +1 ranks in any appropriate skill (which explicitly breaks the "HD+3" ranks cap), and the Laborious Training feat;
after the 4th level, take dip in Martyred Champion of Ilmater (don't forget the Endurance and Nimbus of Light prerequisites), and increase the Profession (cook) up to 9
at 6th level, enter the Adamantine Chef

Jervis
2022-04-01, 06:49 PM
Maybe not extremely useful here but dungeon magazine (forget the issue, I’ll need to find it later) has a item called Planar Encyclopedia (or something similar) that has ranks in Knowledge Planes priced as 500GP per rank. Not rank squared, just per rank. Reading it grants the reader free ranks of Know planes breaking their cap. The only catch is one can only be created with half as many ranks in know planes as the creator has, though humorously you can read your own work to get more knowledgeable. The item in question is specifically not unique and can be created with as many ranks as the writer can manage with a price formula included in the issue assuming a player wants to write their own. The point i’m getting at is that these can presumable be created with any skill in mind, if the fluff about it just being a encyclopedia with vaguely magical ink is to be beloved.

What i’m saying is you need to find a wizard that can write you a magical farmers almanac for +4 ranks in profession farmer.

(This is obviously theoretical optimization and a DM is well within reason to throw a book at your head)

Ramza00
2022-04-01, 07:24 PM
Wow Keen Intellect does all the Wis Skills except Profession (and the ones added later like Autohypnosis), was not expecting that

Gransoley
2022-04-01, 07:55 PM
If keen intellect was for "all" wis skill it'd be so so much easier.
But it's not, i have to deal with it

Also Jervis if you find that Dragon magazine I'd be thankful

Jervis
2022-04-02, 10:52 AM
If keen intellect was for "all" wis skill it'd be so so much easier.
But it's not, i have to deal with it

Also Jervis if you find that Dragon magazine I'd be thankful

Had the name wrong. It’s Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus from Dungeon magazine 88 p:104. Had it in my notes. Lords of Madness also has another item that gives ranks but it’s an artifact I believe.

Keep in mind while this does break cap once you use it you won’t be able to invest more skill points in said skill until your skill rank cap is higher than what the skill currently is. So make sure if you do go this route the ranks you get are enough. I used this to get into Witch Hunter a while back. Fun times.

Gransoley
2022-04-02, 11:05 AM
Had the name wrong. It’s Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus from Dungeon magazine 88 p:104. Had it in my notes. Lords of Madness also has another item that gives ranks but it’s an artifact I believe.

Keep in mind while this does break cap once you use it you won’t be able to invest more skill points in said skill until your skill rank cap is higher than what the skill currently is. So make sure if you do go this route the ranks you get are enough. I used this to get into Witch Hunter a while back. Fun times.

Thanks.

LoM has codex anatema which is NOT an artifact and cost 37.5k

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-02, 11:17 AM
Keep in mind while this does break cap once you use it you won’t be able to invest more skill points in said skill until your skill rank cap is higher than what the skill currently is.Note that this is a logical consequence of gaining more skill ranks than your normal maximum; it is not stated in the item itself. Not arguing with you, Jervis; just pointing this out.