PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Breaking Elemental Adept into 5 Feats

Catullus64
2022-03-31, 10:43 AM
Incinerator
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell that deals fire damage.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to fire damage. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals fire damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
When you deal fire damage to a creature with a spell of 1st level or higher, you can prime that creature with additional pyromantic energy. The first time before the end of your next turn that creature takes fire damage, it suffers additional fire damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Freezer
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell that deals cold damage.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to cold damage. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals cold damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
When you deal cold damage to a creature with a spell of 1st level or higher, you can ensnare that creature with clinging frost. Until the start of your next turn, that creature's speed is reduced by 10 feet, and it cannot take the Dash action.

Thunderer
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell that deals thunder damage.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to thunder damage. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals thunder damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
When you deal thunder damage to a creature with a spell of 1st level or higher, you can move it 5 feet. If that movement is blocked by an object or creature of the same size or larger, the creature instead takes bludgeoning damage equal to half the initial thunder damage.

Corroder
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell that deals acid damage.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to acid damage. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals acid damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
When you deal acid damage to a creature with a spell of 1st level or higher, you can damage that creature's protective equipment. Choose one armor or shield being worn or wielded by the creature. That object suffers a permanent & cumulative -1 penalty to the Armor Class it provides. If these penalties would reduce its Armor Class value to 0, the object is destroyed. Alternately, if you damage a creature with Natural Armor in its profile, you can reduce its Armor Class by 1, to a minimum of 10.

Fulminator
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell that deals lightning damage.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to lightning damage. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals lightning damage, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.
When you reduce a creature to 0 Hit Points with lightning damage from a spell of 1st level or higher, you can cause a charged bolt to leap to another creature within 15 feet of the first creature. The second creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or suffer lightning damage equal to your level.

Yakk
2022-03-31, 11:09 AM
I like the idea. My approach was slightly different. I didn't like "ignore resistance", but I get why they need it.

So my version of the feats split your damage with another damage type. Fire split your damage with Necrotic, for example ("Hellfire Blood"). In 90% of situations this lets you deal half damage to immune targets and 75% damage to resistant targets, serving much the same mechanical niche.

Then I threw on thematic riders like you did.

Fire got 50% Necrotic
Thunder/Lighting got 50% the other
Cold got 50% speed reduction (drop damage by 50% to reduce the target's move speed by that amount)
Acid/Poison got 50% the other

The "riders" were also beefier.

Phhase
2022-04-17, 01:00 AM
I like the idea of split damage, though the way I rule it is that if, say, I'm modelling plasma by using a dual-typed fire/radiant damage type, then resistance, immunity, and vulnerability to a single of those damage types has only half effect.

Thematic riders will always get a +1 from me though. Elemental savant-ness is sorely missing.

Yakk
2022-04-17, 09:35 AM
I like the idea of split damage, though the way I rule it is that if, say, I'm modelling plasma by using a dual-typed fire/radiant damage type, then resistance, immunity, and vulnerability to a single of those damage types has only half effect.

Thematic riders will always get a +1 from me though. Elemental savant-ness is sorely missing.

It is literally split damage. So if you do 28 fire, you instead deal 14 fire 14 necrotic.

If you are immune/resistant to either, it doesn't matter. If you are immune to fire? You still take 14 necrotic. If you are resistant to fire? You take 7 fire + 14 necrotic.

It acts as a "penetrate resistance/immunity" without doing it in-narrative. So the fire elemental isn't taking fire damage, but is being damaged by the hellish energies you imbue your fire magic with, tearing its own fire apart. And if you run into something immune to both fire and necrotic? Well, then, you screwed!