PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Adding wisdom to initiative?

Citadel97501
2022-04-01, 01:45 AM
Hello all, I was looking at the new druid subclass and it made me wonder if there was a way to add wisdom to initiative? I have been promising myself to play a high initiative character for quite a while, and I was thinking that sub-class would be a handy and weird class for it. By high initiative I am thinking more than +10!

Feat: Alert
Wisdom: 18+
Dexterity: 14+

LudicSavant
2022-04-01, 01:48 AM
Hello all, I was looking at the new druid subclass and it made me wonder if there was a way to add wisdom to initiative? I have been promising myself to play a high initiative character for quite a while, and I was thinking that sub-class would be a handy and weird class for it. By high initiative I am thinking more than +10!

Feat: Alert
Wisdom: 18+
Dexterity: 14+

Gloomstalker adds Wisdom to initiative as a level 3 feature.

However, there may be better ways to boost your initiative. For example, Fey Touched (Gift of Alacrity) as a +1 Wis half-feat.

diplomancer
2022-04-01, 02:22 AM
Gloomstalker adds Wisdom to initiative as a level 3 feature.

However, there may be better ways to boost your initiative. For example, Fey Touched (Gift of Alacrity) as a +1 Wis half-feat.

Yes, 3 levels is a substantive cost, though Ranger is a decent multiclass for a Druid if you want to lean more Martial.

Another good way to boost your initiative is the Haregon race, which adds your proficiency bonus to initiative.

sambojin
2022-04-01, 03:17 AM
I'm just wondering, which new Druid subclass? Is there a new UA?

Otherwise, Harengorn Moon Druid, with Alert at 4th and Fey Touched (Gift of Alacrity) at 8th will do it.

Regardless of your stats, by lvl10 you can become an Air Elemental and have +5Dex +5Alert +4HarengornPB +d8GoA, for +15-22initiative. You can also Guidance (Dex) on top of this for an extra +d4, or Enhance Ability for advantage on the d20 roll.

You will go first, almost every time, and can't be surprised. How useful this is, I dont know. You could go for high Dex with any other subclass (16-18'ish Dex) and get the same, and still cast spells.

Alert+ Fey-touched(GoA) also play really well with a Bugbear, for +2d6 damage to initial attacks. And who gets heaps of initial attacks early? A Moon Druid 😁
(Deinonychus or Frilled Deathspitter form for preference, but there's plenty of 2x multiattack forms as well, or good damage-rider attacks to put an extra 2d6 onto)

Citadel97501
2022-04-01, 04:38 AM
I wrongly assumed that this (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MzSKlJnEmhnPAwE81jD) was an unearthed arcana subclass for druids, its just very cool :)