PDA

View Full Version : Ottiluke's freezing Sphere - and other spells only a warmage could love

Seward
2022-04-01, 10:43 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643293-Revisiting-Pathfinder-3-5-spells-Haste-and-Ice-Storm (This thread) came to mind when I was reviewing a magic missile-based warmage build and had gotten to the 6th level spells when I was reminded of the one case ever in any version of D&D where Ottulike's freezing spell was exactly the right spell for the job.

This was a Living Greyhawk "special" adventure, one designed to be many encounters without resting and unusually difficult to do in time (kind of like a MMO speed run, it wasn't just the encounter difficulty it was that you had to do them swiftly and efficiently to get to the end).

There was a L14 warmage at the table (or 15 maybe, the campaign had tier 16 adventures but didn't let you play level 16 characters...it was a party of mostly L15 folks). It was dungeon full of undead, and the individual with a detect undead wand had found an unusually dangerous encounter up ahead. 4 large monsters hiding in a smallish pool with overwhelming auras. Nobody in the party had good options for hitting somebody underwater without getting into the water (these guys were incredibly dangerous in close quarters with both potent melee attacks and deadly auras, with 4 the damage stacks quick. the party didn't know that but assumed advancing into the pool would be stupid, especially as dude with wand was a scout that actually hadn't been spotted by the bad guys yet)

The warmage was like "I got this". Freezing sphere caught 3 of 4 in the 10' radius and froze the entire pool in surprise round. Wins init (a marshal was in the party adding +9 to initiative) blade barrier in a line that crossed all four. I figured they couldn't "move to a side of a blade barrier to avoid damage" when trapped in ice but allowed them save for half damage. (the barrier did something like 60 points of damage, the ice is no protection against that given wall of ice stats for hardness/hitpoints) 3 of the 4 broke out next turn vs the dc25 strength check but that was a full round action, and still being surrounded by ice were basically in a foxhole that didn't allow even a 5' step. Warmage drops acid fog and they all eat another round of blade barrier as they struggle out. He finishes with an empowered wall of fire (scout is still pinpointing their locations with detect undead) that did something like 90 points of damage (2d4+level+edge at about 8)*2(undead)*1.5 . dropping the 3 that had escaped, while the last one died to acid+more blade barrier+heat from being 10' from wall of fire, never escaping the ice. (2d4+edge)*2*1.5

4 six level spell slots and it was over. The rest of the party demolished some other undead that came in to see what all the trapped monster screaming was about, spoiling what could sometimes be a fairly dangerous two-front fight. Needless to say, this party finished the adventure - the rest of the group also had some pretty good moments showcasing their "yeah, I'm a badass now at level 15" stuff.

Nobody ever preps ottiluke's sphere. The only time I've ever seen it picked as a spell known was on a theoretical frost mage build I toyed with which didn't have energy substitution, as a long range cold spell option whose pathetic 10' radius could be sculpted when it wasn't used just a longer range orb of cold.

It is experiences like this that make me personally rate warmage at about tier 3 - it isn't that they are especially flexible even with eclectic learning it is that they are really freaking good at killing things AND have a lot of battlefield control tools, if some of them are unusual (like pyrotechnics). They do lack game breaking capability. I am of the camp that you ruin them if you go crazy trying to add to their spell list, losing caster levels with the Rainbow Servant or that Sandstorm class. If they take empower, there are a lot of cases where extra edge is pretty good (the entire wall of fire/fire shield/ring of blades/fire trap category of spells is very strong with empower+edge, as are empowered magic missiles or anything else they somehow got a feat to add +1/die damage on)

Part of why I rate them tier 3 though is only a warmage with a fixed spell list would ever have a niche spell like Ottiluke's Sphere available in the extremely rare situation where it might be useful. Perhaps a wizard might prep it if he had scouted and knew guards of a hardpoint lurked in the moat, but it probably wouldn't have been worth 600gp or 6 pages of a Boccob Book to scribe in the first place in the opinion of most.
===================

Anybody else have a story about a spell that nobody ever takes that proved useful? (perhaps on a scroll given as loot before they sold it as junk - a 1e adventure I ran had a scroll of Wizard Lock prevent a tpk by locking an incredibly sturdy door that split the encounter in half).

ericgrau
2022-04-05, 05:40 AM
Sounds like a blast.

Spells like this are good to have on a staff when you get to around that level. After all you aren't paying charges when you aren't using it, and then one day you do and it's awesome. Since most of what you want isn't dependent on the save DC, it's also a great scroll spell. Ya it's expensive and you only use it once, but when you do run into that situation you win. And given how few rounds an adventurer fights in his entire career, it's actually a good cost to benefit ratio compared to other permanent items. Even if only 1 in 3 or 4 of such items ever gets used the whole campaign, it's still not a bad deal when you're high level and rich.

Troacctid
2022-04-05, 02:31 PM
Yes! I talk in my handbook about how this is exactly the situation where freezing sphere is incredible. So refreshing to hear a real-life example of it in play!

Other underrated warmage spells that no one else ever seems to take include horrid wilting for fighting plant monsters, sunburst and sunbeam for just completely wrecking vampires, and greater fireburst for dealing absolutely massive damage at close range. They also get fire seeds, which is one of the best blasting spells around and not normally available to arcane casters.

For the record, warmages are T3 in the most recent iteration of the tier list, and frankly, they're in serious contention for tier 2.

El Dorado
2022-04-05, 05:13 PM
In a Ravenloft game, we received a Stone to Flesh scroll scroll. My wizard carried this around for several levels, not really seeing an opportunity to use it (and occasionally grousing that it wasn't a Flesh to Stone scroll, which I determined would be far more useful). I didn't want to scribe it into my spellbook because, while the spell is reversible, the wizard couldn't cast 6th level spells yet. So, dud item I figure.

Fast forward to a new adventure. We have a fight with a vampire and manage to do enough damage so that it turns to mist and retreats. We track it to its lair where it slips through a tiny hole in a great stone wall. So yeah, we use the scroll on the wall and spend the next several minutes cutting through bloody, ichor filled flesh (it is Ravenloft after all---everything is sinister and icky) to locate the vampire's coffin.

The DM was kinda surprised we used the scroll this way (I think it's meant to restore a petrified person). Yeah, this got added to my wizard's "highlights" reel.

pabelfly
2022-04-05, 07:34 PM
My spell that worked out in spite of being extremely unsuitable - the utterance "Word of Nurturing, Minor" (well, it's close enough to a spell) . It gives fast healing 1 for five rounds. We're playing at level 8.

Besides myself and another frontliner, we have a druid with healing and a giant anthropmorphic octopus fighter/barbarian with roughly 80HP. We're fighting a huge squad of prison guards. The squid is down to a quarter health and combat isn't near over. I use my turn to cast "Word of Nurturing, Minor". The squid goes soon after and gets 1HP from fast healing. Another round goes by, they get another hit point healed, and then get surrounded and attacked by a bunch of the guards. They end up taking a bunch of hits and after that and they get to their third turn, the table, including the DM, finds out they're at 2HP after their third round of healing.

After that, the druid reaches them and heals them, the squid takes out three guards in one round (without cleave) and combat is all but won from there.

Seward
2022-04-05, 11:42 PM
Yes! I talk in my handbook about how this is exactly the situation where freezing sphere is incredible. So refreshing to hear a real-life example of it in play!

Which lead me to actually read your handbook, and be entertained by the iconics discussing magic.

Poor warlock, never any love. Seriously all they needed to do in order to make that class playable is make a proper list of invocations, big enough to assemble some effects that were both flavorful/thematic together and generally useful to the party as in at least one role if combined properly (like maybe a blaster, a utility caster, an information gatherer/rogue type etc) instead of a list so sparse that it is always a mishmash, and never enough damage to compete with anything but a mediocre archer or random sorcerer whose only blasting spell is magic missile, even if you go all-out on the blast enhancements.

Nice to see in your handbook extra edge gets just about exactly the respect it deserves as a feat. Edge can really help a lot of damage/time spells, it makes empower even better and if you sudden-empower+edge a top spell slot damage/time that is of the "xd6+level" in damage variety things can get pretty ugly. Even humble acid arrow can be pretty brutal with empower+edge, especially on a fleeing enemy. You'll find the melted corpse a few moves away later. Also really, edge is why baby warmages are actually much more useful at direct damage than any other caster, arcane or otherwise in those levels.

You did get me to think about something new for me on the warmage front.

While I tend to specialize warmage builds for one type of effect rather than trying to expand spell list much, maybe the next time I play with it I'll fool around with a mage of the arcane order build combined with obtain familiar, for share spell shenanigans. The basic warmage chasse is fine at its primary role even without boosting some aspect to silly levels, and it would be fun to have versatility on it without giving up any caster levels, even if it will eat most of the feats up to go down that road. Warmage5/Mage of arcane order10 fits the 1-15 build range I tend to focus on well, although the "new spell" feature probably does nothing for a warmage, as it is "copy a spell into your spellbook", which I won't have. A warmage regent could be kind off hilarious. Imagine how Mialee would react to that?

giant anthropmorphic octopus fighter/barbarian

I just have to say here, your use of that effect was not just good at saving your squid-buddy's life and winning the fight, it was also thematic. Octopus's are one of the real world animals that has significant regenerative qualities (regrowing lost limbs, nervous system healing etc)

Troacctid
2022-04-06, 12:20 AM
While I tend to specialize warmage builds for one type of effect rather than trying to expand spell list much, maybe the next time I play with it I'll fool around with a mage of the arcane order build combined with obtain familiar, for share spell shenanigans. The basic warmage chasse is fine at its primary role even without boosting some aspect to silly levels, and it would be fun to have versatility on it without giving up any caster levels, even if it will eat most of the feats up to go down that road. Warmage5/Mage of arcane order10 fits the 1-15 build range I tend to focus on well, although the "new spell" feature probably does nothing for a warmage, as it is "copy a spell into your spellbook", which I won't have. A warmage regent could be kind off hilarious. Imagine how Mialee would react to that?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467192850862571522/961132759760400434/Iconic_Wizard_small.pngLogically, since wizard is the highest-tier class, any option that makes an inferior spontaneous caster more like a superior wizard is likely to make it more powerful. This makes MotAO one of the best prestige classes a warmage can take, similar to ultimate magus. However, the superior MotAO entry is wizard. A spontaneous caster has to take a feat tax just to be able to prepare spells. All MotAO does is let them make up some of the ground they were already missing by not being a wizard from the start. A real wizard requires fewer feats in order to take the prestige class, and has the power of prepared casting from the beginning instead of having to wait all those levels to get it. And I do hate to point this out, but if you had watched my slideshow, you would know all of this already.

Seward
2022-04-06, 09:13 AM
Yeah, they can whine all they want, but if Warmage is Regent they have to suck it up or lose their sweet sweet spellpool.

Also
"Like Wizards don't have to take a 2-feat tax to cast ONE spell on demand, or one feat plus slot loss to cast ONE spell from their spellbook, one that takes a full round and can't even apply metamagic. Not to mention the cost of maintaining a spellbook, where if they'd just properly learn their list they wouldn't have to pay a copper for that."

would be the Regent's response.

So yeah, we use the scroll on the wall and spend the next several minutes cutting through bloody, ichor filled flesh (it is Ravenloft after all---everything is sinister and icky) to locate the vampire's coffin.

I have a vague memory of a stone to flesh spell being used in a similar way from my gaming. Can't remember what edition or context, but yeah, it was used kind of like how you'd use rock-to-mud and there was a period of hacking through it and ick.