PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Perducci
2007-11-24, 06:16 PM
Ok, so basically I've been reading OoTS and lurking for about 9 months. Never in my life have I played DnD. The only two guys I knew that played were pretty cool in my book, but I never got a chance to ask about it.

For some reason, I've been having the urge to try playing. I have no clue where to start. What books I should buy? How much will that cost?

One of the main things holding me back is that I would have no one to play with. I can't imagine any of the people I hang out with going for this. I think there might be a gaming store somewhere kind of close me, but I think I'd be way too afraid go there.

So basically, where do I start?

Balkash
2007-11-24, 06:36 PM
OK. First off, you don't actually need to buy any books, if you dont want to. The core three (the three you HAVE to have to play) are the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Players Handbook, and the Monster Manuel. These books are all online and free thanks to Wizards. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/System_Reference_Document
and
http://www.d20srd.org/.

These are two websites that have all the stuff from those core three books. Most of the books cost between $30 and $40. These are supplimental books. They cover different things. They are like the icing on the cake that is the core three. They aren't necessary to start playing.

I understand the not having anyone to play with. I really had no one to play with when I started. Eventually, I found this forum which, along with the books (or websites), helped me understand it. I really do suggest, if you can manage the courage (I know I honestly couldn't) try to ask the owner of the gameshop. After I got interested, a few of my friends started getting interested, so we all tried to learn. Now we try to play about once a month or so and it really is the most fun ever.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-24, 06:40 PM
However, those system reference documents tend to leave out important information, and not actually tell you how to play.

I'd recommend you start by buying or borrowing the Player's Handbook (3.5 Edition is the most recent and popular, though 4th Edition will be released next spring), and reading through it, especially the introduction sections and gameplay examples in each chapter to familiarize yourself with the system.

As for people to play with, you can always play online via message board, such as this one, www.plothook.net, and www.myth-weavers.com.

Balkash
2007-11-24, 06:43 PM
Actually I do agree with Nerd-O-Rama. If possible, go to the game store, and even if you dont ask, just find the Players Handbook, http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/3e/phb35.jpg. Thats an image if you didnt know what it looked like. Just pick it up are read through the beginning a bit. Look into it. Doesnt mean you have to buy it. Ask about it if you can, or just look and then either buy it or just leave and do it again later.

Lord Zentei
2007-11-24, 06:49 PM
However, those system reference documents tend to leave out important information, and not actually tell you how to play.

Indeed: like the XP advancement table and the bonus feats everyone gets for their character level, etc.

Check to see whether your local library has D&D books. That way you won't have to loiter in your bookstore if its owners object to your doing so.

Perducci
2007-11-24, 06:53 PM
Would there really be a point in getting 3.5 if 4e is coming out so soon?

I've read some of the SRD before, but haven't seen anything really explaining how to start (create a character).

Solo
2007-11-24, 06:55 PM
I believe the PHB is on googlebooks?

As for 4th ed, plenty of peopl ewon't ocnvert, or will still play 3.5 ed games. I myself don't intend to touch 4th ed. because there will inevitably be a 4.5 ed to come out shortly after.

Burrito
2007-11-24, 06:55 PM
Yeah, try the game store, and ask the guys (or girls) working there. Often stores like that sponsor/host gaming sessions and events and post the times and types of events that will go on. About 95% of the people I have games with would be more than happy to let a new guy sit in on a session and try and learn the ropes. You might not get to jump in as a PC at first, but NPC are always available. Or you could just sit back an watch.
We had a gaming group back in college, and we had all kinds of people play. there was AD&D (1st and 2nd editions), Shadowrun, GURPS, Super Heros, plus the card games out at the time like Magic the Gathering (Revised Edition) and Star Trek. Some folks only new how to play one type of game, but everyone was willing to let new people come in and try to teach them.

Nerds and Geeks know what is is like for others to feel awkward.

So my advice is to go out and just try and meet some folks that play. It can't hurt.

Perducci
2007-11-24, 07:01 PM
Another problem is that most people don't see me as a Nerdy Geek kinda guy. More of a slightly crazy prep jock. The few people I have talked to about it thought I was making fun of them and the game.

Lord Zentei
2007-11-24, 07:16 PM
Another problem is that most people don't see me as a Nerdy Geek kinda guy. More of a slightly crazy prep jock. The few people I have talked to about it thought I was making fun of them and the game.

Ugh, well: I don't know how to help you with that. I guess the best way would be to seek out gaming stores which sometimes have gaming facilities and allow people to join games impromptu... that way you can build up a reputation as someone who is serious about gaming (and incidentally gain some "training" in the game at the same time).

bugsysservant
2007-11-24, 07:35 PM
For books:You probably can manage with just the SRD, but it would be difficult. The don't have the XP tables for one, not to mention a few other things. I would get the PHB (player's handbook), and if you really like the game, the DMG (dungeons master's guide). There honestly isn't too much point in getting the monster manual, especially when the next edition comes out in less than a year. Its missing a few creatures, like the mind flayer and beholder, but its not really important.

For groups: can't help you much there. The best way just might be to try to get your friends to do it. You would be surprised at the number of people who enjoy D&D. You really only need a few people to get a group together. Good luck. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2007-11-24, 08:36 PM
There's a beginner's set available. It comes with a paperback Player's Handbook, a set of dice, some character sheets, and a quick-and-dirty Rules and Character Building Guide. I think there was a short one-person module, as well. Goff and I bought it for one of the girls in our group. She lost it before she even got to roll the dice :smallsigh: Anyway, I think that might be start. It's about... $40AUS at my local hobby store.
If you're seen as the prepjock, maybe venturing into a hobby store will be a good experience. :smalltongue: Don't worry, they'll be more afraid of you than you are of them :smallwink: I think you might be pleasantly surprised 1. how helpful and friendly they are and 2. how many other interested parties will pop up once they know you're into it.

Ranthog
2007-11-24, 10:30 PM
As far as versions becoming 'outdated' in the college gaming group in my area 3.5 just started to dominate things. Many groups never update to the new version until they break up. Often its the DM who holds things on the prior revision rather than buy new books. Most semesters we have at least 3 different versions of D&D running in groups.

It isn't as bad with prior revisions like with World of Darkness which at least in my area the old version still dominates after a couple years.

Solo
2007-11-24, 10:44 PM
Where do I start?

Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with A-B-C
When you play you begin with P-H-B
P-H-B, P-H-B
The first three letters just happen to be
P-H-B, P-H-B

Now Perducci, PHB, MM, and DMG
are only the tools we use to play DnD.
Once you have these rules in your head,
you can play a million different campaigns by mixing them up.

When you know the rules to play
You can play most any way!

Together now!

When you know the rules to play
You can play most any way!

P . . . HB
D . . . MG
T . . . oB
C . . . aD
L . . . oM
X . . . PH
P . . . iH CAr
SaS ECS -- Du, UA, SpC

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-24, 11:07 PM
Ok, so basically I've been reading OoTS and lurking for about 9 months. Never in my life have I played DnD. The only two guys I knew that played were pretty cool in my book, but I never got a chance to ask about it.

For some reason, I've been having the urge to try playing. I have no clue where to start. What books I should buy? How much will that cost?

One of the main things holding me back is that I would have no one to play with. I can't imagine any of the people I hang out with going for this. I think there might be a gaming store somewhere kind of close me, but I think I'd be way too afraid go there.

So basically, where do I start?

The three core books are the basis for the rest of the game. The three books are:

-The Player's Handbook
-The Dungeon Master's Guide
-The Monster Manual

Most of the mechanical information for these books, however, is available on www.d20srd.org. You'll also want to get dice, including d4s, d6s, d8s, d10s, d12s, and d20s, as well as pencils and paper, unless you're playing online.

Beyond that... there are general supplemenwts, which mostly focus on expanding mechanical options and the like. Well, my favorite general supplements are probably:

-Expanded Psionics Handbook
-Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords
-Magic Item Compendium

All three of these supplements add a great deal of new and useful quality material to the game, so you get some bang for your buck.

Now, besides the general supplements, you may or may not be interested in picking up a setting, such as Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Planescape, or whatever. If you don't want to homebrew a setting, pick up the core books for these settings, and then ask about supplements. Personally, I'm into Eberron.

Icewalker
2007-11-25, 03:01 AM
Here is my simple suggestion:

Buy a Player's Handbook, or if you think you can handle it, use the SRD people have linked to.

Then, head down to the Play By Post section of this forum, to the finding players/recruitment section, and make a thread saying you are a new player looking for a DM and group to run a relatively simple game. I'm in one just like that now, and actually, I'd be up for running that game, if you want it. I need to try my hand as a pbp DM.

SoD
2007-11-25, 03:23 AM
I'd recomend facing your fear and going to the *le gasp* gaming store. Ask there for nearby gaming groups about your age, who'd be willing to take in a new player. You'll want to have acess to if not buy the players handbook I, at the very least. And as for dice, they can cost, in my experience, about as much as you're willing to pay. Sometimes. In some places, they are as expensive as $2 each, but where I am now, I get a set for about 3 euro. You'll need at least a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and, most importantly, the god of dice...the d20. You may also want an extra d10 with extra 0's for percentages. A basic set includes all of these.

#Raptor
2007-11-25, 10:28 AM
Here is my simple suggestion:

Buy a Player's Handbook, or if you think you can handle it, use the SRD people have linked to.

Then, head down to the Play By Post section of this forum, to the finding players/recruitment section, and make a thread saying you are a new player looking for a DM and group to run a relatively simple game. I'm in one just like that now, and actually, I'd be up for running that game, if you want it. I need to try my hand as a pbp DM.

That pretty much sums up what i've been doing so far, i studied the handbooks extensively and now im just about to beginn playing in a phb game. Lerning by doing. :smallsmile: Gotta see how that works out for me, but so far im fairly optimistic.

But in case you wanna start a extra game for newb's... i'd gladly join that one too.
I've got ****loads of premade character concepts/ideas (no complete sheets yet, tho), and i sure could use the extra experience. :smallbiggrin:

kemmotar
2007-11-25, 11:03 AM
Well...seeing how you've been lurking around the forums for some time you probably know the "wizards/druids/clerics own the win button" maxim...however, i would suggest that you, as a new player, start with something simple until you get the hang of the rules...reading the rules and actually playing is a completely different things...

If you have alot of premade concepts, from the forums i guess, start simple. Usually one suggests that new players play a fighter. It is sub optimal but it lets you get the hang of the game pretty quickly. Though that puts some people off...admittedly the charg, full attack, full attack, cleave, full attack routine isn't all that exciting...but it's easy.

Also, most common suggestion is that you start a low level campaign. Level 2-3...not level 1 cause that's probably just hacking down dire rats in sewers most of the time for one session until you go to level 2:smalltongue:
Also it's very different from creating a high level character...You make the character, you shape him through the game, maybe change his direction a few times depending on how you feel etc...always nice.

Make sure you start out with a kind of character you like even if it's suboptimal...that's usually the best choice, not just for starters but for everyone...if you only try to know the rules and powergame an pwn then you won't have fun. Try to relax and approach any interested parties...maybe go down to the local shop and ask if they have an in-house DM that organizes campaigns. If there is one then i would suggest playing eberron. If the DM is good and knows the world well(as usually in-house DMs are) you're going to have a good time.

Finally, why are you afraid of going to the game store and asking about D&D? It's not a geek game...and geeks aren't that bad actually. They can be quite fun once they stop regarding you as a jock that's just there to make fun of them...some things are as *scary* or *geeky* as you view them as...D&D is just a fantasy game that builds on your imagination...

Solo
2007-11-25, 11:08 AM
I take it my Craft [Inspirational song] check didn't go so well?

Perducci
2007-11-25, 01:10 PM
Solo, the song was amazing. For some reason I had the tune of it to Apples and Bananas...or you know, Opples and Banonos.

As for dice, I'm pretty well set for that. I've kind of collected dice for a long time.

I'm not scared to go into a gaming store because its geeky. And "nerds" don't phase me either. Why should I be hateful towards someone who knows what they enjoy? It's just that going to a gaming store and asking someone about DnD is way out of my comfort zone. A) I can be pretty shy when trying new things. B) Last time I was near a gaming store, I saw a guy dressed as a monk walking in. I asked him about it and all I got back was an angry glare. So that put me off a little. My comfort zone includes things like wrestling mats, ridiculously wild parties, and doing crazy stuff with my friends. So yeah, I understand why I come off as a prep jock.

And I don't think I could handle playing off the SRD. It leaves out too much.

Oh yeah, thanks for all the advice.

Solo
2007-11-25, 01:11 PM
Solo, the song was amazing. For some reason I had the tune of it to Apples and Bananas...or you know, Opples and Banonos.

It's from the Sound of Music, actually.

Perducci
2007-11-25, 01:28 PM
Wow...yes it is. I didn't catch that. Shame on me.

Inyssius Tor
2007-11-25, 01:32 PM
I take it my Craft [Inspirational song] check didn't go so well?

Wow. You win the internet, and if your song was shorter I would totally sig it.

Solo
2007-11-25, 01:48 PM
Wow. You win the internet,
Believe it or not, this has happened to me before.

Shovah
2007-11-25, 03:02 PM
Hey Perducci, looks like we're in the same boat. I've been lurking for a while too and recently have really wanted to play.
I know 2 people who used to play in a group of about 5 friends, but none of them play now, but I don't know if there are any gaming stores near me(I would need to check that).

If you find a game willing to take you and atleast one more person, please give me a shout(PM).

KBF
2007-11-25, 04:01 PM
I would like to mention, you don't need all three ever-expensive core books. As long as you aren't DMing, you only need the Players Handbook and you won't be missing out on much.

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-25, 04:22 PM
In a tavern, obviously.

But yeah, the PHB, etc., etc.

I think there's a boxed set with all of the Core books, that's probably cheaper than buying them individually.

Also, I reccomend using the SRD once you've gotten the core books anyway, as it's a handy thing for quick refrence, and it contains the SRD version of the Psionics handbook, and the Unearthed Arcana alternate rules.

Chronos
2007-11-25, 07:07 PM
The only thing you need to start off with is a group to play with. The great thing about a game like D&D is that you can attempt anything you want: The rules just tell you how successful you are. So to start off with, you can join a group, create (say) a Barbarian, with the help of the experienced players, and just start playing. For things like interacting with the innkeeper and the king, you don't need to know any rules at all, and when you get into a fight or some other situation where you do need rules, you can just decide what would be the sort of thing that your barbarian would do, and the other players can help you figure out what dice to roll to do it. During this time, you don't even need your own books, since you can just look over the shoulder of the folks who do have the books.

With time, of course, you'll learn the rules yourself, as well as learning what tactics tend to work better than others. So eventually, you'll probably get your own PHB, and rely less and less on asking others how to do things. But you don't need any of that to start with.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-25, 07:33 PM
It's just that going to a gaming store and asking someone about DnD is way out of my comfort zone. A) I can be pretty shy when trying new things.
My only advice is, suck it up and take the plunge. You've got to do that any time you try something new.

B) Last time I was near a gaming store, I saw a guy dressed as a monk walking in. I asked him about it and all I got back was an angry glare. So that put me off a little.
Okay...I'll admit, that's not normal. If he's there next time, I recommend ignoring him.

F.L.
2007-11-25, 08:32 PM
Piece of advice: Reading through and memorizing the details of a published campaign setting is more work than homebrewing one in most cases. Wish I'd realized that when I'd first DM'd, setting it in the FR added to my headaches.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-25, 08:36 PM
Did your first campaign have many epic bartenders?