PDA

View Full Version : Companions & Familiars Without Their Masters?

Palanan
2022-04-01, 11:19 AM
In the War for the Crown AP, one of the early NPCs is a former familiar of a now-dead wizard, granted unnatural long life and the ability to work magic independently. And in one of the Runelords encounters, there’s an animal companion who’s lost her ranger and ends up tagging along with the PCs.

Are there any other examples of familiars and companions who have survived the loss of their masters? I’m most interested in examples from other Pathfinder APs, but I’m open to cases from any first-party Pathfinder or 3.5 sources.

ShurikVch
2022-04-05, 06:54 AM
Thornfur the White Wolf, an ex-Animal Companion of deceased Illitol the Druid ("Eye for an Eye", Dungeon #82); correction - Thornfur just a descendant of Animal Companion
Virgil the Sea Gull Ex-Familiar ("Tammeraut's Fate", Dungeon #106)
Silverback (https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Silverback), the ex-Animal Companion of deceased human ranger (Neverwinter Nights (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights))

Also

Death of a Master
If a master dies and the familiar survives, part of the master lives on in the familiar. It loses any extra hit points and skills it gained from the master but retains most of its familiar abilities. It is treated as having a master two levels lower (but never below 1st level). If the master is later brought back from the dead, the bond is reestablished, and the familiar gains whatever abilities go along with the master’s new level.

Tzardok
2022-04-05, 07:29 AM
I don't know if it counts given your restriction to canon, but in the video game Neverwinter Nights: Shadow of Undrentide (which uses the 3.0 rules) you can meet a milenia old rat who used to be the familiar of Undrentide's archwizard. The archwizard died when Undrentide plummeted from the sky together with the other cities of Netheril, and since then the rat lives in the ruins with no one to talk to besides a senile fire elemental.