PDA

View Full Version : 9 sides are revealed now?

Precure
2022-04-01, 04:17 PM
1. Order
2. Xykon
3. Redcloak
4. Linear Guild
5. IFCC
6. Tarquin
7. Hel
8. Gods
9. Serini

ziproot
2022-04-01, 04:39 PM
At least nine sides, and there probably have been for a while. For instance, MITD is also a side.

Lord Torath
2022-04-01, 04:48 PM
A certain fey-touched banana can probably point us to the quote where Rich says that "nine" was just a ballpark figure, and not an exact number. It might have been in one of the patreon Q&A columns.

Peelee
2022-04-01, 04:54 PM
A certain fey-touched banana can probably point us to the quote where Rich says that "nine" was just a ballpark figure, and not an exact number. It might have been in one of the patreon Q&A columns.

Like this?
8.) Nathan Lewandowski: In this comic the roaches mention 9 different groups in this conflict. Have all 9 been revealed or are some still hidden?

This is one of those things that I think has been maybe taken a little bit too literally, as if there are exactly nine factions involved. The number was arbitrary when I picked it; the strip in which the line appears is one where it’s explaining that Redcloak and Xykon are not on the same side. Listing more than nine groups from this story with slightly different priorities and goals is trivially easy and there’s no “right” answer. The more important point was that there were still characters left to be revealed that would have their own goals that didn’t align with those of anyone already in the story. Remember, that strip was before Tarquin was introduced, or Hel, or Serini, or any of the gods at the Godsmoot, all of whom have their own interests in the Gates and the Snarl that don’t match up exactly with those of Redcloak, Xykon, the Order, Hinjo, etc.

So there have already been more than nine sides revealed, and any speculation on whether or not there are even more waiting to show themselves would get into spoiler territory.

Lord Torath
2022-04-01, 04:59 PM
A certain fey-touched banana can probably point us to the quote where Rich says that "nine" was just a ballpark figure, and not an exact number. It might have been in one of the patreon Q&A columns.Or maybe a helpful silver dragon instead!

Thanks, Peelee!

Precure
2022-04-01, 05:41 PM
Remember, that strip was before Tarquin was introduced, or Hel, or Serini, or any of the gods at the Godsmoot, all of whom have their own interests in the Gates and the Snarl that don’t match up exactly with those of Redcloak, Xykon, the Order, Hinjo, etc.

I guess my list is correct but unfinished. But the moat interesting thing about it is how the snarl is counted as a side, despite of forum consensus that see it as not a side.

hroþila
2022-04-01, 05:45 PM
No, the Giant didn't say the Snarl was a side, he said X sides had an interest in the Gates and the Snarl.

There are no correct or incorrect lists.
Maybe someone will try to make a hilariously incorrect list now. It's ok, I accept it

Precure
2022-04-01, 08:30 PM
No, the Giant didn't say the Snarl was a side, he said X sides had an interest in the Gates and the Snarl.

Yeah, I read it wrong.

There are no correct or incorrect lists.
Maybe someone will try to make a hilariously incorrect list now. It's ok, I accept it

There is discussions about whether elements such as Kubota or Thieves Guild should count as sides, and they're always discarded due to not showing any interest in the gates.

ShadowSandbag
2022-04-01, 11:00 PM
The 9 sides are
1. Redcloak's niece
2. Mr Stiffly & Flopsy
3. The Flumphs
4. Giggles
5. Shoulder Pad guy from the linear guild
6. The Demon Roaches
7. The Devil Roaches (Yet to be revealed)
8. Snarl Jr. (AKA MitD)
9. Grannie Bitterleaf

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

As far as actual sides, one could make the argument that The Dark One and Redcloak might be aligned, but different sides.

enq
2022-04-02, 12:50 AM
6. The Demon Roaches
Will the IFCC make them cooperate?

Precure
2022-04-02, 08:35 AM
2. Mr Stiffly & Flopsyf

Technically true. :smallbiggrin:

9. Grannie Bitterleaf

a.ka. Serini :smallamused:

ziproot
2022-04-02, 10:38 AM
The 9 sides are
1. Redcloak's niece
2. Mr Stiffly & Flopsy
3. The Flumphs
4. Giggles
6. The Demon Roaches
8. Snarl Jr. (AKA MitD)
9. Grannie Bitterleaf

You forgot about Fruit Pie the Sorcerer

ShadowSandbag
2022-04-02, 10:50 AM
Will the IFCC make them cooperate?

Yeah, the Infernal Faction of Collaborative Cockroaches

BaronOfHell
2022-04-03, 03:13 AM
1. Order
2. Xykon
3. Redcloak
4. Linear Guild
5. IFCC
6. Tarquin
7. Hel
8. Gods
9. Serini

I agree with your list except that it's very limited how much interest Tarquin has shown, and while the LG does operate independently of the IFCC, they do seem to be directed/manipulated by them to such an extend that I'd only guess Nale could count as both independent and interested in the gates, but until new evidence shows otherwise, Nale is out for the count.

InvisibleBison
2022-04-03, 07:40 AM
1. Order
2. Xykon
3. Redcloak
4. Linear Guild
5. IFCC
6. Tarquin
7. Hel
8. Gods
9. Serini

Setting aside the non-literal nature of the nine sides remark, this list is wrong for the reason that most such lists are wrong: It ignores the fact that the nine sides remark was made at a specific point in time and referred to people/factions involved in the conflict over the gates at that point in time. Thus, the Linear Guild, the IFCC, Tarquin, Hel, Serini, and arguably the Gods couldn't have been among the nine sides.

elros
2022-04-03, 09:48 AM
Although there are not exactly nine sides in this conflict, there are nine alignments:
Lawful Good
Lawful Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Good
Neutral
Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good
Chaotic Neutral
Chaotic Evil
It's actually hard to assign some of the characters to each of the alignments (e.g. is Helga Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil?), and I don't know if each alignment is represented by a character.

BaronOfHell
2022-04-03, 11:02 AM
It ignores the fact that the nine sides remark was made at a specific point in time and referred to people/factions involved in the conflict over the gates at that point in time.

But in the same panel we're told: "They don't know about some of those [sides] yet". I always assumed that "they" was a breaking of the 4th wall.

Precure
2022-04-03, 11:08 AM
Although there are not exactly nine sides in this conflict, there are nine alignments:
Lawful Good
Lawful Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Good
Neutral
Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good
Chaotic Neutral
Chaotic Evil
It's actually hard to assign some of the characters to each of the alignments (e.g. is Helga Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil?), and I don't know if each alignment is represented by a character.

Hmm...

LG: Paladins
NG: Order
CG: Serini
LN: Gods
TN: Snarl
CN: Girard
LE: Redcloak
NE: Hel/IFCC
CE: Xykon

Peelee
2022-04-03, 12:11 PM
Lawful Good
Lawful Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Good
Neutral
Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good
Chaotic Neutral
Chaotic Evil
And yet there are 17 afterlife planes (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1138.html), so even nine alignments isn't as nice and clean as one might think.

Also, while it's fun to do, I see little value in staying to nine, considering...

The number was arbitrary when I picked it

InvisibleBison
2022-04-03, 12:50 PM
But in the same panel we're told: "They don't know about some of those [sides] yet". I always assumed that "they" was a breaking of the 4th wall.

Yes, some of the sides were unknown to the readers at the time the nine sides were introduced. That doesn't change that, eg, Tarquin couldn't have been one of the nine sides because he didn't know the Gates existed and wasn't involved in the conflict over the Gates.

BaronOfHell
2022-04-03, 02:23 PM
Yes, some of the sides were unknown to the readers at the time the nine sides were introduced. That doesn't change that, eg, Tarquin couldn't have been one of the nine sides because he didn't know the Gates existed and wasn't involved in the conflict over the Gates.

I also don't think Tarquin was involved in the conflict at that point in time, but I am not certain how much he is/was ever involved. The cliffhanger scene at Girard's gate is our latest information in this regard, as far as I know, and something I await in excitement to see what has happened with.

Bohandas
2022-04-03, 04:16 PM
The 9 sides are
1. Redcloak's niece
2. Mr Stiffly & Flopsy
3. The Flumphs
4. Giggles
6. The Demon Roaches
8. Snarl Jr. (AKA MitD)
9. Grannie Bitterleaf

As far as actual sides, one could make the argument that The Dark One and Redcloak might be aligned, but different sides.

What about Banjo?

Precure
2022-04-03, 10:30 PM
What about Banjo?

Still just a puppet.

Satohika
2022-04-05, 12:49 PM
1-OotS
2-Goblinoids
3-Xykon and minions
4-Lee/Neville/Cedric
5-Vampires of Hel
6-Linear Guild
7-Gods and Clerics
8-Tarquin & Friends
9-Team Serini

Synesthesy
2022-04-05, 03:56 PM
The fact that everyone has his own version, and that every version has some kind of truth within, is the proof that "nine" is just a number.

However, this is mine:

1) The Order of the Stick and everyone has as first goal BOTH the defeat of Xykon once and for all AND the final resolution of the Snarl problem.
2) Xykon and everyone who wants him to rule the world
3) Redcloak, The Dark One and everyone who wants his Plan to work
4) Hinjo, the paladins and everyone wants to (generically) save the world while fixing Azure City problem
5) The IFCC and their own secret goal
6) The Vector Legion and everyone who is working to make them rule the world (or at least the Western Continent)
7) Sabine and everyone who wants firstly to avenge Nale (former side: the Linear Guild and their chaotic goal to... I don't really know, just kill Elan?)
8) Hel and everyone who wants the world destroyed and remade with her leader of the Northern Pantheon
9) Thor, Loki and who wants to fix the Snarl problem with the help of the Dark One, with the added plus of messing with Hel's plan
10) The Gods who prefer destroying the world (like faction 8) for safety, while not caring about Hel's plan (unlike faction 8)
11) Serini who wants to save the world in her own terms, not caring about side 2 and 3
12) The Monster in the Darkness, who just want to get free
13) The forumite who wants this side to be Redcloak's niece side
14) Me who wants to prove that Belkar won't die
15) The author of the comic who is tired of so many discussion about a silly number

Ruck
2022-04-05, 07:14 PM
The fact that everyone has his own version, and that every version has some kind of truth within, is the proof that "nine" is just a number.

However, this is mine:

I greatly appreciate that your approach to how arbitrary the "nine sides" are is to have fifteen of them.

Psyren
2022-04-11, 10:29 AM
I don't see a lot of daylight between the Linear Guild and the IFCC - and for the reasons mentioned, "nine" is out the window anyway.

Metastachydium
2022-04-11, 02:50 PM
4-Lee/Neville/Cedric

(…)

8-Tarquin & Friends

Now, that's just raising more questions than it answers! For instance, who's Neville and since when does Tarquin have actual friends?

Lord Torath
2022-04-11, 04:46 PM
"Neville".... "Nero".... same thing, right? :smallwink:

Precure
2022-04-11, 09:38 PM
4-Lee/Neville/Cedric

Ah, yes. The Big Three of the lost arcane lore:

Lee Jordan
Neville Longbottom
Cedric Diggory

Metastachydium
2022-04-13, 05:15 AM
Ah, yes. The Big Three of the lost arcane lore:

Lee Jordan
Neville Longbottom
Cedric Diggory

Huh. You've just opened my eyes! I should have noticed this is a crossover at around the Warthog gag!

Satohika
2022-04-13, 05:21 PM
In my defence, Neville is a much better name for a NE character, especially compared to the name of some crazy Roman emperor.

Fyraltari
2022-04-13, 05:34 PM
In my defence, Neville is a much better name for a NE character, especially compared to the name of some crazy Roman emperor.

Would have gone with Nestor, meself.

JonahFalcon
2022-04-13, 08:32 PM
On a side note, I'm waiting to see how the IFCC will screw everything up.

Throknor
2022-04-15, 11:47 AM
Is it a coincidence that the last reply before this one was made 42 days before Towel Day and that the panel that '9' is mentioned in is the 6th panel depicting the roaches in that column?

Yes. Yes it is.

Ruck
2022-04-16, 01:43 AM
Is it a coincidence that the last reply before this one was made 42 days before Towel Day and that the panel that '9' is mentioned in is the 6th panel depicting the roaches in that column?

Yes. Yes it is.

It's so much of a coincidence, I don't even know what it's supposed to signify!

Fyraltari
2022-04-16, 06:26 AM
It's so much of a coincidence, I don't even know what it's supposed to signify!
An HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy taught us all that the Ultimate Question and Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything are "How much is 6*9" and "42", respectively.

EDIT: H2G2 also taught us the importance of always having one's towel close at hand.

brian 333
2022-04-16, 08:56 AM
So many lessons.

After I started using waiters' order tickets for calculating, I became a straight A student in calculus.

Lord Torath
2022-04-17, 04:25 PM
An HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy taught us all that the Ultimate Question and Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything are "How much is 6*9" and "42", respectively.

EDIT: H2G2 also taught us the importance of always having one's towel close at hand.I think you mean 6 x 7.

6 x 9 = 54. :smallamused:

Metastachydium
2022-04-17, 04:39 PM
I think you mean 6 x 7.

I'd love to bring up base 13, but Douglas Adams doesn't make jokes in it.

Fyraltari
2022-04-17, 05:10 PM
I think you mean 6 x 7.
I do not.

Whoever told you that the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything had to be mathematically correct?

Peelee
2022-04-17, 07:29 PM
I do not.

Whoever told you that the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything had to be mathematically correct?

Imean, given how events unfolded, the answer wasn't accurate in any sense to begin with. At least, not to the question.

Throknor
2022-04-17, 07:46 PM
I always presumed it was to illustrate just how far off the calculations had gotten after the Golgafrinchans had interrupted the process. The fact he pulled a wrong equation out of thin air is the relevance to the topic (in case it wasn't obvious).

Synesthesy
2022-04-18, 04:35 PM
The fact that 6*9 is not 42 only means that there is something terribly wrong in the universe...

Peelee
2022-04-18, 04:37 PM
The fact that 6*9 is not 42 only means that there is something terribly wrong in the universe...

It's a joke that the computer was horribly, horribly corrupted up by the people who landed on and inhabited it. When pointed out that 6*9 does, in fact equal 42 in base 13, Douglas Adam's responded "that may be but nobody writes jokes in base 13". Or something similar.

brian 333
2022-04-18, 08:40 PM
The fact that Douglas Adams was trolling people decades before Al Gore invented the internet applies here. There is a reason he wore hipster sunglasses.

Another reason.

Edit: to my knowledge, he never Rickrolled anyone. He may, however, have been involved in a meme or two.