PDA

View Full Version : Original System combat design

somerandomhuman
2022-04-02, 04:59 PM
ok so here is the rough draft of my combat system
btw all magic will use Hp and all actions except free actions will draw from a pool of meter.

at the beginning of your turn you roll a die (i'm thinking d6 to d12) you have a number of points = to your roll
you can spend those points to do things probably like the battle master maneuvers from DnD 5e.
attacks hit unless the opponent tries to stop it hitting (i want defense to be mainly reactions things)

should the points I talked about be fused with meter?

I would like help fleshing this out and also criticism.

JNAProductions
2022-04-02, 06:05 PM
ok so here is the rough draft of my combat system
btw all magic will use Hp and all actions except free actions will draw from a pool of meter.

at the beginning of your turn you roll a die (i'm thinking d6 to d12) you have a number of points = to your roll
you can spend those points to do things probably like the battle master maneuvers from DnD 5e.
attacks hit unless the opponent tries to stop it hitting (i want defense to be mainly reactions things)

should the points I talked about be fused with meter?

I would like help fleshing this out and also criticism.

There’s not enough to critique.

This is just a few ideas. Nothing even approaching a system yet.

Dienekes
2022-04-02, 08:09 PM
Well, first critique is that making it randomized will mean that it is harder to make plans based on your moves. But can have the excitement of having to make things up on the fly.

But other than that, I think we’d at least need to see a mock up to actually give anything useful for you.

LecternOfJasper
2022-04-05, 03:56 PM
Will there be some actions that don't cost points? If not, then the meter and the points should be the same.

It's not standardized so far, and if reactions and actions draw from the same meter that could get funky. Everyone rolls at the top of a round, and a turn order is determined (some other way), and you can spend points to try and resist attacks? Any side with more dice (or the probability of more dice) would have a clear advantage in this case, so that's probably not ideal.