PDA

View Full Version : unfair custom magic item property?

the_tick_rules
2022-04-02, 07:09 PM
I think most of us who have delved into making custom magic item properties have sound some nucking futs powerful effects. But some of them are expensive enough to reasonably justify it. true sight is 180k and if i did my math right sheltered vitality is 112k. I came across someone talking about a permanent divine favor at +3. it adds a +3 luck bonus to attack and damage with weapons. If my math was right again it is 36k. that is the exact price as a belt of giant strength +6 which adds the same effect but is it too much stacking?

Mnemnosyne
2022-04-03, 10:41 AM
Yep, that's too cheap for a luck bonus, since it would stack with an enhancement bonus to the weapon, so you're basically getting +3 to any weapon for 36k. Now, a +3 weapon alone is 18k, you're paying double that for the item, so it seems kinda fair, but that also stacks with most more common things, so it's too cheap. And most important, it stacks with a +3 weapon. So, hmm. That sounds like a good place to start looking at price. If you stack this with a +3 weapon, you've effectively got a +6 weapon. Difference between a +3 and a +6 (ignoring the fact that you can't have a straight +6 on a nonepic weapon) is 54k. Also, there's two entries for unusual item type in that DMG table, one multiplies the price by 1.25, and the other multiplies it by 2. So if we assume that unusual bonus types should cost somewhere between 1.25x and 2x the cost...36k * 1.5 is 54k. Interesting.

So 54k seems like a good starting number for that item. Maybe adjust slightly up or down, but it's actually feeling good around there.

Biggus
2022-04-03, 11:05 AM
A few things:

There's already a constant True Seeing item, the Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE) a snip at 75,000GP (I make the default price 180,000GP too).

There's a spell called Recitation (SpC) which gives a +2 or +3 luck attack bonus to an entire party (often persisted with DMM), so it'd only be the damage bonus you'd be making available where it wasn't otherwise.

More generally, I guess the question comes down to: how much of a box of worms are you willing to open? This item on its own won't massively unbalance the game, but if you start allowing lots of continuous custom items, it might.

Also, there's two entries for unusual item type in that DMG table, one multiplies the price by 1.25, and the other multiplies it by 2.

x1.25? Are you talking about the AC bonus (other)? If so, I'd have said that's a x2.5 multipier to the base AC bonus price in the same table (armor bonus), with Deflection and Natural Armor being a x2 multiplier.

Jervis
2022-04-03, 01:28 PM
Yep, that's too cheap for a luck bonus, since it would stack with an enhancement bonus to the weapon, so you're basically getting +3 to any weapon for 36k. Now, a +3 weapon alone is 18k, you're paying double that for the item, so it seems kinda fair, but that also stacks with most more common things, so it's too cheap. And most important, it stacks with a +3 weapon. So, hmm. That sounds like a good place to start looking at price. If you stack this with a +3 weapon, you've effectively got a +6 weapon. Difference between a +3 and a +6 (ignoring the fact that you can't have a straight +6 on a nonepic weapon) is 54k. Also, there's two entries for unusual item type in that DMG table, one multiplies the price by 1.25, and the other multiplies it by 2. So if we assume that unusual bonus types should cost somewhere between 1.25x and 2x the cost...36k * 1.5 is 54k. Interesting.

So 54k seems like a good starting number for that item. Maybe adjust slightly up or down, but it's actually feeling good around there.

Oerthblood is a material that gives a +1 so that might be a better place to start looking at pricing.

the_tick_rules
2022-04-03, 03:11 PM
A few things:

There's already a constant True Seeing item, the Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE) a snip at 75,000GP (I make the default price 180,000GP too).

There's a spell called Recitation (SpC) which gives a +2 or +3 luck attack bonus to an entire party (often persisted with DMM), so it'd only be the damage bonus you'd be making available where it wasn't otherwise.

More generally, I guess the question comes down to: how much of a box of worms are you willing to open? This item on its own won't massively unbalance the game, but if you start allowing lots of continuous custom items, it might.

x1.25? Are you talking about the AC bonus (other)? If so, I'd have said that's a x2.5 multipier to the base AC bonus price in the same table (armor bonus), with Deflection and Natural Armor being a x2 multiplier.

That mask is awesome. if only it could be combined with the third eye of conceal without going above 200k. then you would need the cowl of warding to get mind blank which is what 206k?

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-03, 03:30 PM
That mask is awesome. if only it could be combined with the third eye of conceal without going above 200k. then you would need the cowl of warding to get mind blank which is what 206k?Personal mind blank (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindBlankPersonal.htm) is identical to psionic mind blank except it's a level lower and self-only, which should cut the cost of a third eye: conceal by around 29,000 gp while not changing its effect beyond making the item's dispelling DC 1 point lower. And I don't know about you, but +1 to the dispelling DC isn't worth almost 30k.

Troacctid
2022-04-03, 03:53 PM
Here are some existing items that provide unusual bonus types to attack rolls.

Contingent Divine Favor, CL 9 (900 gp): +3 luck bonus to attack and damage for 1 minute, usable only once with a free action activation before being consumed. Can be dispelled (DC 20), and is lost forever if it is dispelled before it is activated.
Enemy Spirit Pouch (2100 gp): +1 competence to attack rolls and +2 to damage, but it only functions against one particular type of favored enemy.
Bracers of Opportunity (2300 gp): +2 competence to attack rolls for attacks of opportunity.
Bracers of Aerial Combat (8000 gp): +1 competence to attack rolls while you or your target is airborne.
Ioun Stone, Pale Green Prism (30,000 gp): +1 competence to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.
Staff of Quickened Divine Favor (33,750 gp): +3 luck bonus to attack and damage with 50 consumable charges, each of which lasts 1 minute and requires a swift action to activate. Can only be used by a cleric or paladin, or with a DC 20 Use Magic Device check; can be dispelled (DC 20).
Staff of Persistent Divine Favor (68,250 gp): +3 luck bonus to attack and damage with 50 consumable charges, each of which lasts 24 hours and requires a standard action to activate. Can only be used by a cleric or paladin, or with a DC 20 Use Magic Device check; can be dispelled (DC 24).

There are very few items out there that provide unusual bonuses to attack rolls. Based on the items that are out there, though, I think your estimate of 36k is too low. I would go up to at least 60k, probably more.