PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever play with fighters getting all the maneuvers?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-04-03, 08:29 AM
It seems there are some frustrations with fighters being overly specialized and not versatle ir powerful enough.

SO, has anyone tinkered with some form of giving fighters more or all of the maneuvers?

It could be done a few ways. 1 per level, half at level 3, half level 10. That would sure give them some options.

I'll admit though, at my table the newer players ask for something simple so we have to keep one of these classes great for the casual types who sometimes contribute a lot to my games.

heavyfuel
2022-04-03, 10:25 AM
Would this be only for the Batlemaster, or would it be for any Fighter?

Honestly, though, it's a solution that doesn't address the problem. BMs are already plenty strong, and they can already get all the maneuvers they want by level 10. The issue with maneuvers is that they are from a non-expanding list, that is, you are picking from the same list at level 3 and at level 15 with no change. Getting extra maneuvers would be nice, but by the time you pick your 10th maneuver, it's probably not something you're ever going to use.

Skrum
2022-04-03, 11:02 AM

Honestly, though, it's a solution that doesn't address the problem. BMs are already plenty strong, and they can already get all the maneuvers they want by level 10. The issue with maneuvers is that they are from a non-expanding list, that is, you are picking from the same list at level 3 and at level 15 with no change. Getting extra maneuvers would be nice, but by the time you pick your 10th maneuver, it's probably not something you're ever going to use.

Bring back Book of Nine Swords!!

heavyfuel
2022-04-03, 01:27 PM
Bring back Book of Nine Swords!!

The lack of blue text makes me confused on whether this is sarcastic or not, but I fully and non-sarcastically agree :smallamused:

animorte
2022-04-03, 01:38 PM

This is why you choose Martial Adept in the place of ASI (yes, as a Fighter). And Inspiring Leader. Then multiclass.

Dienekes
2022-04-03, 02:07 PM
It seems there are some frustrations with fighters being overly specialized and not versatle ir powerful enough.

SO, has anyone tinkered with some form of giving fighters more or all of the maneuvers?

It could be done a few ways. 1 per level, half at level 3, half level 10. That would sure give them some options.

I'll admit though, at my table the newer players ask for something simple so we have to keep one of these classes great for the casual types who sometimes contribute a lot to my games.

Here, this is a good one: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/ouuqjy/laserllamas_alternate_fighter_v200_become_the/

if you want a simple class and for some reason think the maneuver system is too complex, I'd suggest looking at the Barbarian. You get angry, and then you hit things. Just keep track of how many times you get angry per day. Or the Rogue, which I don't think has anything to calculate or keep track of at all.

Skrum
2022-04-03, 06:33 PM
The lack of blue text makes me confused on whether this is sarcastic or not, but I fully and non-sarcastically agree :smallamused:

Nope, that was 100% sincere. BoNS is my single favorite DnD book from any edition. It was a glimpse of what the game could be

Gurgeh
2022-04-03, 09:00 PM
Here, this is a good one: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/ouuqjy/laserllamas_alternate_fighter_v200_become_the/

if you want a simple class and for some reason think the maneuver system is too complex, I'd suggest looking at the Barbarian. You get angry, and then you hit things. Just keep track of how many times you get angry per day. Or the Rogue, which I don't think has anything to calculate or keep track of at all.
Some Rogue subclasses have dailies (Phantom, Soulknife, Arcane Trickster) but plenty do not - the bigger issue it runs into for someone wanting to avoid complexity is the potential for decision paralysis with Cunning Action, especially since some of the other no-frills subclasses (like Thief) give you even more options moment-to-moment.