PDA

View Full Version : Mage class

paladinn
2022-04-03, 06:51 PM
Following the threads about wizards and sorcerers and the need (or not) for each or both. I would propose making a combined class with some of the features of each. They can both cast spontaneously now; and the combo class would be dependent on Both Int and Cha.

1. Use the spell point variant from the DMG.
2. Add the sorcery points for a given Sorcerer level to the spell point total. Use this pool for all spells, metamagic, upcasting, etc.
3. Add a number of spell points equal to the caster's Cha bonus.
4. Calculate the number of spells prepared based on the Int bonus, as per the PHB.
5. Make sorcerous origins and arcane traditions fit the same mold
6 Replace the spell-like powers for either wizards or sorcerers with bonus spells known.

Mages should get their power from their spells. Spell-like powers are for warlocks.

Thoughts?

Sigreid
2022-04-03, 06:54 PM
From what I understand, the anti-wizard heretics are mostly of the opinion that they are too "generic". This would just make them more generic.

Rukelnikov
2022-04-03, 06:56 PM
It should be called Magic User

paladinn
2022-04-03, 06:58 PM
It should be called Magic User

Lots of classes "use magic."

Psyren
2022-04-03, 07:03 PM
They can both cast spontaneously now;

4. Calculate the number of spells prepared based on the Int bonus, as per the PHB.

I'm a little confiused whether you're envisioning this as a prepared or spontaneous caster.

With that said, I think this would work as a conversion of the PF Arcanist (using that name) to 5e, with its own subclasses - perhaps with the ability to utilize the wiz and sorc subclasses in some way. But not in place of wizard and sorcerer.

The_Jette
2022-04-03, 07:06 PM
I'm a little confiused whether you're envisioning this as a prepared or spontaneous caster.

With that said, I think this would work as a conversion of the PF Arcanist (using that name) to 5e, with its own subclasses - perhaps with the ability to utilize the wiz and sorc subclasses in some way. But not in place of wizard and sorcerer.

I think he means the class would still utilize a spell book, so they'd have to decide which spells were being prepared to cast each day. Essentially, they'd be able to swap out their prepared spells and cast them spontaneously from the list chosen each morning. That's what the wizard does anyways, so the terms prepared spellcaster versus spontaneous spell caster don't really mean much any more.

Psyren
2022-04-03, 07:19 PM
That's what the wizard does anyways, so the terms prepared spellcaster versus spontaneous spell caster don't really mean much any more.

That's why I'm confused. A better divider might be "limited spells known" vs. "potentially unlimited spells scribed" vs. "know entire list" - and I'm not sure which of the three is intended for the Mage/Arcanist. (I'm guessing the second one but it's not clear.)

paladinn
2022-04-03, 07:27 PM
That's why I'm confused. A better divider might be "limited spells known" vs. "potentially unlimited spells scribed" vs. "know entire list" - and I'm not sure which of the three is intended for the Mage/Arcanist. (I'm guessing the second one but it's not clear.)

It would work like the wizard, except dependent on the caster's Cha for daily spell points. And available metamagic.