PDA

View Full Version : Undecided for next character - warrior or barbarian?

Entessa
2022-04-04, 10:32 AM
I'm truly undecided for next character - I'm undecided between warrior and Barbarian. He will be a human variant, with 85 points (+the one from the human variant) to be distributed amongst the 6 attributes. My campaign will be 50 combat 50 roleplay. Please, criticize everything, so you can give me new perspectives:

1) My personal idea is to do a human that was once a conqueror and leader of a pillaging horde that has now dissolved, because well, the leader had a spiritual meeting (an angelic being) and well, he turned "good". Nowadays he lives in a hut in the middle of a province inhabitated by a lot of different orc tribes that respect the conqueror (and know his fame). They usually do not dare to enter the swamp he lives in. When they do, he simply challenges them - he always wins. I thought to do a grappling god - justified because the orcs challenge him on grappling fights.
He NEVER kills the orcs and actually he finds them honorable and all these challenges are a pleasant alternative to simply waiting for his destiny (is he being hunted? Is the angelic being going to appear again? That's up to the DM to decide, my character just plows the earth meanwhile).

2) I've read around a lot about playing a fighter, but every fighter handbook tells a different thing!! Even youtube videos seems to differ on what's the "most" optimal build and subclass for a fighter. I'm truly undecided first concerning the feats I should be getting and second about the subclass. I cannot understand if Samurai is better than Battlemaster or Rune knight is the greatest. I guess I'm not sure if I want to play an eldritch knight either - I would like to avoid spellcasting and go all in on martial stuff, but well, I'm open to suggestions.

3) The second alternative is playing a Barbarian. I guess I can only choose the path of the totem warrior (If I want to be a decent character), but I'm kinda undecided about what and when. Especially because it seems you can actually change your animal meanwhile. Interesting.

Psyren
2022-04-04, 10:44 AM
I'm truly undecided for next character - I'm undecided between warrior and Barbarian. He will be a human variant, with 85 points (+the one from the human variant) to be distributed amongst the 6 attributes. My campaign will be 50 combat 50 roleplay. Please, criticize everything, so you can give me new perspectives:

85 points, so 37 point buy? (getting to a base of 8 in each of the 6 ability scores = 48, so you have 37 left over for "normal" stat allocation.)

1) My personal idea is to do a human that was once a conqueror and leader of a pillaging horde that has now dissolved, because well, the leader had a spiritual meeting (an angelic being) and well, he turned "good". Nowadays he lives in a hut in the middle of a province inhabitated by a lot of different orc tribes that respect the conqueror (and know his fame). They usually do not dare to enter the swamp he lives in. When they do, he simply challenges them - he always wins. I thought to do a grappling god - justified because the orcs challenge him on grappling fights.
He NEVER kills the orcs and actually he finds them honorable and all these challenges are a pleasant alternative to simply waiting for his destiny (is he being hunted? Is the angelic being going to appear again? That's up to the DM to decide, my character just plows the earth meanwhile).

2) I've read around a lot about playing a fighter, but every fighter handbook tells a different thing!! Even youtube videos seems to differ on what's the "most" optimal build and subclass for a fighter. I'm truly undecided first concerning the feats I should be getting and second about the subclass. I cannot understand if Samurai is better than Battlemaster or Rune knight is the greatest. I guess I'm not sure if I want to play an eldritch knight either - I would like to avoid spellcasting and go all in on martial stuff, but well, I'm open to suggestions.

3) The second alternative is playing a Barbarian. I guess I can only choose the path of the totem warrior (If I want to be a decent character), but I'm kinda undecided about what and when. Especially because it seems you can actually change your animal meanwhile. Interesting.

If you want to be a martial who is a "grappling god" then Rune Knight wins simply because it's the only martial class that can turn Large and later Huge, which means it can grapple almost any creature in the game, and they furthermore get advantage on their grapple checks for the entire fight. If you want to multiclass Barbarian that's fine too.

Entessa
2022-04-04, 12:25 PM
Planning for a new character focused only on fighting, no spellcasting.

37 point buy, varian human (so it becomes 39 points buy + feat). Level 8 start.

I'm kinda optimizing the character, if I'm going fighter I'm going to get:

- Polearm master
- Sentinel
- Great weapon fighting
- Resilient: wisdom

Undecided about the subclass (I read around only battle master seems to be TIER S)

If Barbarian, totally undecided about what to do. I want to optimize that one too, so let me know. I guess I should go totem bear, but what about the feats? Totally on the dark.

Entessa
2022-04-07, 11:14 AM
I decided what to go for: a fighter (even if I was undecided about going conquest paladin).

Stats: 20 14 16 11 15 9 + I had to add +2 and I'm gonna add that on wisdom, so it's going to be: 20 14 16 11 17 9

I've chosen the following feats:

Sentinel
Great weapon master (I would have avoided going this one if I was paladin)
Polearm master
resilient: wisdom

Subclass: battlemaster.

Any suggestion for fighting style?

JLandan
2022-04-07, 02:53 PM
If he's to be a former leader, Battlemaster is probably the best fit.

For grappling, Psyren's Rune Knight is good. Battlemaster is so/so as some maneuvers work well with grappling, but most require a weapon or an attack roll.