PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Resistance

Ruethgar
2022-04-04, 04:32 PM
I made a character with 3.P with the intent to make it exceptionally resilient to all environments. Apart from adding Starspawn for space, I was wondering if anyone had any other options I could shoot for or shortcomings he might have. I tried to avoid outright magic for most of this.

Base race, Awakened Magebred(fast) Rat. They are ECL 0 with that 3 free RHD, but more importantly as a monster with mountains in their environment range, they get altitude resistance. Tack on Altitude Adaptation and you don't have to worry about it at all. Plus 3/5 of the movement modes.

Sea Dragonspawn Abomination, this is definitely going to be an abomination. Take human blood or human heritage to squeeze in the qualification for the template. Abomination is technically optional since you are "human" but you want the Fast Healing 3. Thankfully sea dragonspawn gives you fire immunity without the subtype's cold weakness but you also get the aquatic subtype for immunity to water-based hypothermia and the ability to dive to 500ft without trouble and 1500ft without taking any net damage due to Fast Healing.

Draconic and Half Dragon template classes, buy them off as you get them to snag cold and acid immunity. Electric instead of acid is an option, but you can't swim in electricity, you can swim in acid and pretty much need immunity to not die from it.

Snag (Improved)Dragon Wings to ignore fall damage and be able to fly. Plus as a Dragon, you can pick up Improved Speed to bump your speed up to be able to flee from a fair few fauna at 35ft land, 55ft swim, 25ft climb, and 50ft fly(with 30:7.5 glide as a free action). Missing burrow, so if you don't think you'll be faced with acid that much you could go Li Lung instead for 20ft burrow speed in place of acid immunity.

Spheres of Power, get the Innate Curse(Cold Blooded Lizardfolk) drawback and Curse Mastery to be able to go 12 days without food before needing to make saves vs starvation. While you're here, may as well pick up Witchmarked and Witchwarped, going for the goal of the creature, Elemental Resistance if probably the best bet to snag Electric Resistance(or acid if you went Li Lung). As far as what magic you are getting to take those drawbacks? Doesn't matter too much, but Weather sphere with Clear Skies via Localized Weather drawback, and Mantled Caster via Personal Mantle drawback. Even if you only get the magic via Basic&Advanced Magical Training, that's still a -1 to weather condition categories as a magical, but passive effect.

If homebrew is allowed, Welknair made a bloodline (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?207247-3-5e-Bloodline-Emergent-Atrocity-(PEACH)&p=11410280#post11410280) for you! Take Desert Hump and idk nothing else really caught my eye for the purpose of this build.

So to summarize: immune to altitude sickness, immune to water based hypothermia, immune to water pressure to 500ft deals 1d6 per 200ft after, fast healing effectively nullifies pressure damage to 1500ft, immune to hot and cold weather, can swim in acid, and can take the odd lightning strike, can move freely in most environments, only needs 1 gal water every 12 days, 0.25 rations per day, can survive 12 days w/o food before saves.

Are there any major holes in his environmental defense?

Edit: As far as class, you'll want Woodland Stride or an equivalent, Ranger would be the best fit thematically. Pathfinder Traits, Adopted by Kobolds for Bog Scamp to further increase your maneuverability in swampy environments.