PDA

View Full Version : Using a 40k T'au mini as a DnD character?

Sir-Carlos
2022-04-05, 05:11 AM
So, I am in the process of making a character. I have a hard time deciding on the character concept, so I decided to start with the mini. I don't have a whole lot of minis, but I have some unbuild Tau fire-warriors and pathfinders lying around. I am a big fan of the Tau aesthetics, I want to use them for something! the question is: How do I use a Tau miniature for a DnD character? What race would he be? And what class? They almost exclusively have guns, but I have some medieval weapons from other minis, so maybe I can make something with that? Any ideas/suggestions?

Unoriginal
2022-04-05, 05:27 AM
So, I am in the process of making a character. I have a hard time deciding on the character concept, so I decided to start with the mini. I don't have a whole lot of minis, but I have some unbuild Tau fire-warriors and pathfinders lying around. I am a big fan of the Tau aesthetics, I want to use them for something! the question is: How do I use a Tau miniature for a DnD character? What race would he be? And what class? They almost exclusively have guns, but I have some medieval weapons from other minis, so maybe I can make something with that? Any ideas/suggestions?

A Githyanki Artificer, maybe?

Sir-Carlos
2022-04-05, 05:39 AM
Uhh, I like that!

NotPrior
2022-04-05, 05:43 AM
From what I remember about fire warriors provided he's wearing the helmet you could probably get away with a warforged pretty easily. Either way an armourer artificer would probably be your best bet since that composite armour is clearly not in line with the normal fantasy aesthetic.

JackPhoenix
2022-04-05, 05:59 AM
Agree with artificer. But instead of Githyanki, I suggest Vedalken from GGtR. They too are too-smart-for-their-own-good ugly blue creatures too cowardly to fight in glorious melee combat.

Edit: For subclass, either Armorer for not-Stealth suit, or Artillerist for firepower and (flightless) gun and shield drone. Ranged Battlesmith could work, but their pet is less thematic.

Rynjin
2022-04-05, 06:05 AM
Agree with artificer. But instead of Githyanki, I suggest Vedalken from GGtR. They too are too-smart-for-their-own-good ugly blue creatures too cowardly to fight in glorious melee combat.

...Too cowardly to fight in glorious melee combat? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLsg3M7jOs)

On an unrelated note, I recommend Paladin as a class.

Sir-Carlos
2022-04-05, 06:20 AM

I didn't know about the Vedalken, but I think they are perfect! They look almost exactly like Tau, minus the feet. Thanks!

Polyphemus
2022-04-05, 05:45 PM
I would second a Vedalken Artificer (and would vote for Artillerist, personally) as a good match for your Tau mini, though I would suggest, if you wanted to be a little cheeky and give it just a tiny bit of Tau flavor, just for fun, you could dip a level into Peace Cleric afterwards for that Emboldening Bond. Could flavor it as being just that big a supporter of the Greater Good.
Or alternatively say it's markerlights, since Tau aren't terribly magically/psychically inclined. :smallwink:

Telwar
2022-04-05, 08:08 PM
Oooh, battlesmith if you want to use a drone model, and if the game has firearms, that's basically perfect.

Vedalken and gith would both be fairly close to what my favorite Squat replacements would be in D&D.

(Also, you can do Custom Lineage, but that's a) obvious and b) maybe cheat-y)

Phhase
2022-04-06, 02:43 PM

Allow me to second this suggestion with EXTREME prejudice. I'm currently playing a 'yank artificer, and with Tasha's character creation rules, you can swap the weapon and armor proficiencies you get from being githyanki for TONS of tool proficiencies. It's great.

Sir-Carlos
2022-04-06, 02:57 PM
Allow me to second this suggestion with EXTREME prejudice. I'm currently playing a 'yank artificer, and with Tasha's character creation rules, you can swap the weapon and armor proficiencies you get from being githyanki for TONS of tool proficiencies. It's great.

Yeah, but the problem with the Githyanki are the ears. Tau don't have those and although I am not aiming to replicate something as closely as possible, I think a Githyanki without ears would look bit strange. right?

Brookshw
2022-04-06, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but the problem with the Githyanki are the ears. Tau don't have those and although I am not aiming to replicate something as closely as possible, I think a Githyanki without ears would look bit strange. right?

Have you met my friend, Mr. Green Stuff?