PDA

View Full Version : Extra Infusion

carrdrivesyou
2022-04-06, 11:55 AM
One of my players was asking if their Artificer could take the Eldritch Adept feat, but instead of taking an Invocation, they just learn an additional Infusion.

While I am sure that a feat like this is probably in the works somewhere, I am curious how this would affect game balance.

I can't see that allowing this would give them an unfair advantage over a warlock who took Eldritch Adept, but I feel like the choice of Infusion/Invocation could drastically change that opinion.

I suppose it falls down to whether they just have another option available, or if they get an extra infusion slot for their career.

Would a single extra infusion break non-armorer artificers?

ender241
2022-04-06, 12:06 PM
One of my players was asking if their Artificer could take the Eldritch Adept feat, but instead of taking an Invocation, they just learn an additional Infusion.

While I am sure that a feat like this is probably in the works somewhere, I am curious how this would affect game balance.

I can't see that allowing this would give them an unfair advantage over a warlock who took Eldritch Adept, but I feel like the choice of Infusion/Invocation could drastically change that opinion.

I suppose it falls down to whether they just have another option available, or if they get an extra infusion slot for their career.

Would a single extra infusion break non-armorer artificers?

I don't see any issue allowing an extra infusion at the cost of an ASI. That's a pretty steep cost. I don't see anything that would break the game but like you said, knowing what they plan to do with it might help.

Khrysaes
2022-04-06, 12:10 PM
Would it be an extra infusion known? An extra infusion active? Both?

MoiMagnus
2022-04-06, 12:11 PM
An extra infusion is basically a free magic item. How strong it is depends a lot on how many magic items the PCs have, but I don't think it would be gamebreaking. It might even be underwhelming in term of power compared to a feat if you're generous enough with magic items.

nickl_2000
2022-04-06, 12:15 PM
The only concern I could see is with starting at a higher level. I could choose stat setting items (headband of intellect, ogre/giant strength, etc) rather than and ASI since it will be better in the long run. That being said, you could easily do that whether you have the bonus infusion or not. However, with extra infusion slots you can do it for the whole party potentially.

I.E. you could hand out a headband of intellect to an AT, then that PC could dump intelligence and get better Con instead.

stoutstien
2022-04-06, 02:50 PM
Even if it's an extra infusion known and prepared it would be on the weaker side as far as feats go. Even if you do think it's too strong you can limit it to the options that do not have a level requirement.

carrdrivesyou
2022-04-06, 03:04 PM
Would it be an extra infusion known? An extra infusion active? Both?

I'm thinking both. Just having an extra known infusion is pretty weak for a feat. I figure a +1 INT and an extra active infusion is nice.

heavyfuel
2022-04-06, 06:46 PM
The thing with feats like Eldritch Adept and Fighting Initiate is that they are on the weaker side of feats (as far as full feats go), but are too strong to be half-feats.

Personally, I'd like to see these feats have some extra, small, bonus attached, like a Warlock Cantrip or some Weapon proficiency.

The same goes for a feat like "Extra Infusion" (assuming it's an extra known and active infusion). I think you can grant that + an extra Artificer Cantrip an it'd be good. The extra infusion on top of +1 Int is probably a bit too strong