PDA

View Full Version : Half Celestiel/Half Dragon

ReluctantReaper
2007-11-25, 12:12 AM
Just wondering, a buddy of mine talked to me about this tonight, and I was wondering if this would work. I am think by the way he says it that we get pluses in everything, and if anyone could be kind could you post them? Anways we are doing this with out the giant level adjusment to 6 he is makeing it 3 because dragon is 2 and celestial is 1...but no worries as how the campgain is more of a test then anything...so ya thanks for awnsering.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-25, 12:25 AM
Well, you would add up all the bonuses together to make your character. The problem with this, and any other character with a level adjustment is that at lower levels they are going to be drastically outmatched by other classes. The best example of this is simply comparing them to other characters, with 1 character level and a d10 for hit dice you are looking at 14-16 hit points, where a 4th level character will have something in the high 30's low 40's.

This difference decreases and becomes less of a handicap at higher levels but the lower you are the worse off you will probably be. All those bonuses won't help you when an errant fireball takes you from perfectly healthy to amazingly dead in one turn. From what I understand few templates are truly worth the level hit and those that are tend to be shunned by DM's for being too powerful, like feral or mineral warrior.

AslanCross
2007-11-25, 12:29 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm
Half Celestial's LA is +4.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm
Half Dragon's LA is +3.

The increases to ability scores are in their respective entries.

How'd he reduce the LA? It might be easy for a Half-Dragon, but Half Celestial has a whole bunch of stuff.

Anyway, common sense (which is unfortunately, not written into the RAW in this case) would dictate that you cannot have two "half-<creature>" templates and no base creature. The base creature is one half, the template is the other. You could make a half-celestial gold dragon, or maybe a half-dragon hound archon.

Or are you saying your friend is trying to make a template that combines both the half-celestial template and the half-dragon template?

ReluctantReaper
2007-11-25, 12:34 AM
I think we would be half celestial gold dragons..but im not 100% sure

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-25, 12:35 AM
I'd like to point out that these templates are meant to be applied to a base creature, so TECHNICALLY you'd need to either give Half-Celestial to some kind of dragon (i.e. Half-Celestial Adult Gold Dragon) or give Half-Dragon to some kind of Celestial (i.e. Half-Dragon Hound Archon).

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-25, 09:44 AM
He could've made it a half dragon aasimar and knocked 1la as he doesn't have wings.
Can't think of anything else.

Kaelik
2007-11-25, 12:42 PM
Or he could be a half-dragon half celestial human. And he could be reducing the LA because he is confused, and thinks that the celestial template is a good amount of LA for the half celestial template, since clearly celestial is better then half right?

Sometimes the biggest problem in this forum is that every time someone asks a question, we assume that they know exactly what they are talking about and are trying to play by RAW or even RAI.

SadisticFishing
2007-11-25, 02:20 PM
Why does everyone say you can't have a half-dragon/half-celestial?

If a half-dragon celestial and a half-dragon human had a kid, what would it be?

bugsysservant
2007-11-25, 02:33 PM

Technically, I believe it would be a half dragon aasimar. (Assuming the genetics work the same as they do in real life and you need 50% genetic material from some source to be considered "half")

I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between a half dragon celestial, and a half celestial dragon, but I assume it has to do with the difference in the parent's genders, kind of like mules and hinnies.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-25, 02:36 PM

I don't know, but by RAW you can have as many halves as you want.

AslanCross
2007-11-25, 05:46 PM

A draconic aasimar, perhaps.

tyckspoon
2007-11-25, 05:53 PM
I'd go with a half-dragon half-celestial human on that one, in line with D&D's tendency to make humans the baseline of everything. No, the inheritances aren't exactly halves, and no, I can't be bothered to figure out what they would accurately be. You could also perhaps get a half-dragon half-human Celestial, but I'm not aware of any 'half-human' template.

SadisticFishing
2007-11-25, 05:54 PM
No, because, see, Half-Dragon doesn't actually make you half a dragon, it makes you into a very dragon-like version of what you were originally. That's why it's a template.

A half-dragon celestial is still very very celestial...

Also, even RAW explains this well, saying that even a quarter-dragon gets the Half-Dragon template, and et cetera, which is as logical as genetics can get in D&D.

Chronos
2007-11-25, 06:52 PM
Technically, I believe it would be a half dragon aasimar. (Assuming the genetics work the same as they do in real life and you need 50% genetic material from some source to be considered "half")Using real-world genetics, assuming that those creatures existed and were capable of interbreeding, you could at the very least get a full dragon, or a half-dragon half-human, or a half-dragon half-celestial, or a half-human half-celestial. Or probably a lot of other possibilities, assuming (as is very likely) that humans, dragons, and celestials differ in more than one gene.