PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Patron: Brandon Sanderson v.1.5

Falcon X
2022-04-06, 09:23 PM
A reworking of my prior submission of the Sandersonian Subclass. This time, I've mostly worked on correcting the comments made before rather than completely remaking it. The wording should be fixed, and it should be much more balanced.

I've abandoned minionmancy and embraced the Bard crossover, with a bit of Sanderson flair. The most questioned element will still likely be Magic System Eclecticism. However, it's limited to one spell from 3 different classes. If it needs further limiting, I could probably specify those classes.

The other one I expect some pushback for is the charm effect of Epic Tale. I do like the flavoring of this ability, so if you have any ideas to capture said flavor of the tale causing a movement of emotions on people, let me know.

Let me know what you think!

Flavor based ideas are welcome too!

https://i.ibb.co/mDkxj2n/erase4.png

Otherworldly Patron

The Sanderson
It is said that Brandon Sanderson once existed as a great epicist and taught the greatest epicists for an age. So great was his teaching that no deity would accept his spirit into death, and thus it was cast into the unknown space between spaces where it lives on as a vestige, calling to the universe from beyond the void. No longer able to teach his ways formally, he instead imparts ability directly, and with power, to all those who pact with him.

As master of a hundred magics and a thousand natures of being, while some vestiges scratch angrily at their confines, Sanderson has come to understand in full what he has become. There is no secret of what new system of being he falls under, and how to exploit this system he is a part of to his fullest advantage. His compactees likewise seek to understand the nature of the universe, and in turn theorize their own.

Expanded Spell List
The Sanderson lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Sandersonian Expanded Spells
| Spell Level | Spells |
|:----:|:-------------|
| 1st | dissonant whispers, goodberry |
| 2nd | calm emotions, skywrite |
| 3rd | sending, wall of sand |
| 4th | fabricate, faithful hound |
| 5th | animate objects, legend lore |

Epic Tale
Starting at 1st level, you gain proficiency in Novel Writing Tools. Further, you can inscribe a tale so evocative and so moving that it conveys persuasive and exciting power with it's mere words. The creature who looks upon the tale instantly absorbs, understands, and is moved by the tale as if they had spent hours pondering it. To create an epic tale requires the warlock to spend an hour in dedicated work.

Upon writing, you may weave in one of two effects. The first identical to the spell Charm Person. However, the target does not know they were charmed once the spell is over. The second effect is that of inspiration. In this case, when the reader views the Epic Tale, they gain an Epic Tale die, and can roll it to add the result to an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. The inspiration die is lost if not used after 10 minutes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Epic Tale die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Epic Tale die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Epic Tale die at a time. Your Epic Tale die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die starts as a d6, but becomes a d8 at 6th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 14th level.
Only a single creature may gain the magical benefits of a Epic Tale, and onc it has been read, it loses it's magical potency. In written form, it retains it's potency for 1 day per point of your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 day). You may write a single Epic Tale per day.

The Swift Handerson of Sanderson
Starting at 1st level, you can stretch time, not giving more hours in the day, but stretching each moment out to it's maximum capacity. As a bonus action during a round where you have a writing implement in hand and it is moving, you gain the benefits of a full round's worth of thoughts in a mere second, as well as making small movements with equal speed. This effect can be used continuously outside of battle so long as it is used every 6 seconds. Thus, what would have once taken an hour to write now takes ten minutes. Additionally, you have advantage on intelligence saving throws, as you have plenty of time to process the information.

The Right Word
At 6th level, if you listen to a creature use a language or dialect for at least 1 minute, you may roll a Charisma (Insight) check. The DC is 12 for a native to your plane, 17 for an outsider, and 22 for an aberration or being beyond normal comprehension. If you succeed, for the next 24 hours, you are able to read and write in a way that conveys precise and nuanced meaning in the language or dialect of the creature observed.

Magic Expertise
At 6th level, you gain proficiency in the Arcana skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you gain expertise with that skill, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with it. It cannot benefit from any other ability that doubles your proficiency bonus.

Magic System Eclecticism
By 10th level, you have become so adept at understanding other magic systems that you are able to integrate some of them into your own. Choose three spells, one each from three spell lists of a class other than warlock, and add them to the warlock spell list for you. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the warlock table, or a cantrip.

Essence of Wit
At 14th level, your ability to speak the right word and turn the right phrase becomes such that your word is able to infuse some of your illusions with your own essence, making them practically real. You gain the ability to create illusions that are infused with a little of your own essence. As an action, you can summon 1d4+1 Berserkers that appear within 60 feet of you. They disappear after 1 hour or when they drop to 0 hit points. The Berserkers are considered constructs residing on the ethereal plane. They have resistance to all attacks that are not stated to effect ethereal creatures, and no damage from non-magical weapons. Their weapons are considered magical and effect ethereal and material creatures as normal. To the warlock and their allies, these shadow illusions appear like a noble troop of spectral warriors. Their enemies, however, behold the terrible wrath of the ancient heroes of their own legends, and must succeed at a wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 round per summoned berserker. This action cannot be taken again until 7 days have passed.