PDA

View Full Version : Infection Battles: The Thing vs. The Flood

Maerok
2007-11-25, 12:41 AM
In a battle between The Thing(s) and The Flood, who do you think would win? Let's say they have to take complete control of our galaxy (with technology ranging from primitive to Covenant-level). The biology of Things allows them to resist the effects of the Flood and vice versa; so the battle breaks down into the first stage being to spread as far as possible and the final stage being a battle of numbers and acquired tech/abilities. We'll assume they start at the same strength, with one planet each at opposite ends of the galaxy, but halfway between the centerpoint and the outer-expanse (so they are at a distance equal to the radius of the galaxy, allowing for some overlap and initial combat as they spread in all directions).

Revlid
2007-11-25, 06:50 AM
The Thing, because Lovecraftian horrors are awesome, whilst Halo is an overhyped pile of mediocrity and bloom.

And the Flood are Headcrabs in Disguise. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2304-Zero-Punctuation-Halo-3)

Gungnir
2007-11-25, 07:39 AM
I can't really say, I don't really know much about these alleged Things, or much Lovecraft at all.

Emperor Ing
2007-11-25, 07:51 AM
Lovecraft?

WHO HERE HAS HEARD OF THIS "LOVECRAFT"?

Well, im gonna say the Flood, 1, because I know what it is, and 2, because something from something called 'lovecraft' really shouldnt be that intimidating

Mikeavelli
2007-11-25, 08:14 AM
While we're at it, why not make this a REAL vs thread?

Throw in the Zerg Swarm and the WH40K Tyranids, for a no-holds-barred battle for the title of ultimate space zombie. Am I missing any of 'em?

Whoever manages to infest a lawyer and sue the others for copyright infringement first wins.

thorgrim29
2007-11-25, 11:01 AM
Well, the many and the headcrabs I guess..... but zergs and nids are more space bugs then space zombies, wheras the others are zombies, horribly fast zombies for some of them, but still.

PlasticSoldier
2007-11-25, 12:30 PM
because something from something called 'lovecraft' really shouldnt be that intimidating

*Chuckle* :smile: You have no idea how wrong you are.

Falconer
2007-11-25, 01:03 PM
*Chuckle* :Smile: You have no idea how wrong you are.

I know barely anything about H.P. Lovecraft, but can say that if he came up with this 'the thing', it's gotta be disturbing at the very least

2007-11-25, 01:17 PM
Lovecraft?

WHO HERE HAS HEARD OF THIS "LOVECRAFT"?

Well, im gonna say the Flood, 1, because I know what it is, and 2, because something from something called 'lovecraft' really shouldnt be that intimidating

You should probably jump off of something tall onto something hard.

And the Flood wins, the Thing's power is in imitation, not massive swarms over military personell.

Neon Knight
2007-11-25, 01:25 PM
There have been dozen of things named The Thing. Which are you referring to?

2007-11-25, 01:36 PM
There have been dozen of things named The Thing. Which are you referring to?

http://bavatuesdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/the_thing.jpg

Not actually a Lovecraft story, but has many elements. Not a bad film, either.

thorgrim29
2007-11-25, 02:15 PM
Is that the B rate flick with the hapless scientists (TM) in the north pole?

2007-11-25, 02:21 PM
Is that the B rate flick with the hapless scientists (TM) in the north pole?

yup

textextextext

Neon Knight
2007-11-25, 02:42 PM
Does the Thing actually reproduce? I thought it was a shape shifter.

Maerok
2007-11-25, 04:51 PM
The Thing was originally from a short story in ~1937 called "Who Goes There?". It became the basis for John Carpenter's 'The Thing', as well as a prior movie which I believe was called 'The Thing from Another World', but that was a plant-based monster.

The Thing is essentially amoebic, made up of Thing-cells. It's original form was a blue-orb-like thing with about four tentacles (at the end of the short story). What they do is they can convert other biological cells on any scale to become new Thing-cells. However, these new Thing cells are able to assume the new form or one of the infector's forms (it's inherited). Instead of a full on change like with the Flood, the new Thing cells resume the original creature's physical and mental traits until it has the opportunity to attack a new creature and spread the infection. Apparently it works on a microscopic scale even. However, its intelligence is based on the mass of the Thing. They can even mix and match forms it has acquired. By the time it is unleashed on Earth in John Carpenter's movie, it has already absorbed probably hundreds of races. With enough mass, it can keep the intelligence of its victims.

It is said in the short story that an 85 pound Thing can convert a 90 pound creature into a new 90 pound Thing and still have 85 pounds of original mass (so it takes virtually nothing of its own mass to convert someone). Bullets cannot put them down, only fire or electrocution. Ice will freeze them, but they remain in stasis.

I believe this isn't inspired by Lovecraft (at least the original short story), as it was published in 1938 which wasn't long after Lovecraft's death. Did Lovecraft really have a large reader-base or was it until much later that his popularity picked up?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-25, 04:57 PM
The Thing. Because anyone who has played the Xbox game knows how hard those damn things are to kill! :smallfurious:

Neon Knight
2007-11-25, 05:02 PM
I believe this isn't inspired by Lovecraft (at least the original short story), as it was published in 1938 which wasn't long after Lovecraft's death. Did Lovecraft really have a large reader-base or was it until much later that his popularity picked up?

Someone used the term Lovecraftian as an adjective, misleading some to believe that Mr. Lovecraft was involved with this. The user who used the term Lovecraftian probably meant it as a synonym for horrible or terrible.

Can these "Things" be killed by blunt trauma? And what sort of offensive capabilities do they possesses?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-25, 05:09 PM
Can these "Things" be killed by blunt trauma? And what sort of offensive capabilities do they possesses?

Lets put it this way. Bashing it infects you. Touching it, infects you. Breathing the same air infects you.

Shooting it angers it. Fire and electricity can hurt them. If you make it cold enough, the creature goes into stasis but otherwise is completely unharmed. Short of grenades and flamethrowers, nothing really kills a Thing.

Neon Knight
2007-11-25, 05:12 PM
Lets put it this way. Bashing it infects you. Touching it, infects you. Breathing the same air infects you.

Shooting it angers it. Fire and electricity can hurt them. If you make it cold enough, the creature goes into stasis but otherwise is completely unharmed. Short of grenades and flamethrowers, nothing really kills a Thing.

So dropping a 600 pound weight on it would leave it completely unharmed? A concussive blast from an explosion leaves it unharmed?

And we're talking flood who can't be infected here. The OP specified that in his first post.

Prophaniti
2007-11-25, 06:05 PM
I'm liking the idea mentioned earlier. Let's bring in the Tyranids and Zerg for a real clusterf#$@ and see who comes out on top!

LOL@
Whoever manages to infest a lawyer and sue the others for copyright infringement first wins.