PDA

View Full Version : Four DMs, Four Stories, 20 Levels

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-25, 12:56 AM
My friends and I all love playing as well as DMing, and we've been doing a round robin system for a long time. For the next campaign we're trying something new: each of 4 DMs is going to run a 5-session arc where each arc gradually moves forward in time. There will be a time travel theme in case people want to keep going with the same characters.

The first five session arc will take the characters from level 1-5 and we'll keep leveling as we go so the last five session arc will carry us from levels 16-20. I like playing a lot of different characters, so I wanted to do 4 different styles.

My question for you forumites is what classes work bets at each of the power levels? How would you rank them? For example, would you go with a fighter for the earlier levels, a priest for the mid levels and an arcane caster for the high levels? Basically everything is an option except for ToB and complete champion. My only request is no "Wizard FTW at all levels," not only because that's an easy answer, but also because I don't like wizards because of all the book keeping involved.

CthulhuM
2007-11-25, 01:28 AM
Eh, the general pattern is that fighters and such are good from levels 1-5, and get progressively worse after that, rogues are best at mid levels (after they've accumulated some decent sneak attack dice, but before practically every monster has something that makes it difficult or impossible to sneak attack), support characters like bards are fairly weak early on and decent at mid to high levels, and full casters of any sort (well, barring Wu Jen, anyway) are good to start with, and just get better and better at higher levels.

Xefas
2007-11-25, 01:36 AM
If you want non-caster throughout, and want to play lots of different and entertaining roles...

1-5, the weakness of Binders isn't as apparent in the early levels, and they're really fun to play with. All the little continuous abilities give you more selection and customization than most classes at this level.

6-10, Factotum. Stick Font of Inspiration into all your feat slots, and you'll be able to pull off some really fun things with relative regularity.

11-15, a Chameleon build. If you enter into it at level 6, then you'll get to make it to Chameleon 10 by the time the arc is over. Maybe Rogue2/Hexblade3/Chameleon6-10? I'm a fan of that build.

16-20, Artificer. You're the mad scientist who builds doomsday weapons out of regular household items on a daily basis. If you have the Magic Item Compendium, it becomes much easier to play this guy, and it's a whole lot of fun.

If you're just looking for "whose the best at each level, barring wizards".

1-5, Druid
6-10, Druid
11-15, Druid
16-20, Druid

Talic
2007-11-25, 01:42 AM
If you want non-caster throughout, and want to play lots of different and entertaining roles...

1-5, the weakness of Binders isn't as apparent in the early levels, and they're really fun to play with. All the little continuous abilities give you more selection and customization than most classes at this level.

6-10, Factotum. Stick Font of Inspiration into all your feat slots, and you'll be able to pull off some really fun things with relative regularity.

11-15, a Chameleon build. If you enter into it at level 6, then you'll get to make it to Chameleon 10 by the time the arc is over. Maybe Rogue2/Hexblade3/Chameleon6-10? I'm a fan of that build.

16-20, Artificer. You're the mad scientist who builds doomsday weapons out of regular household items on a daily basis. If you have the Magic Item Compendium, it becomes much easier to play this guy, and it's a whole lot of fun.

If you're just looking for "whose the best at each level, barring wizards".

1-5, Druid
6-10, Druid
11-15, Druid
16-20, Druid

Now, Now...
1-3, Barbarian.
4-5, Druid.

Just sayin', Druid's an underpowered cleric until he gets to level 4.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-25, 01:45 AM
Now, Now...
1-3, Barbarian.
4-5, Druid.

Just sayin', Druid's an underpowered cleric until he gets to level 4.

True, but he is an underpowered cleric with a wolf. Which is better than barbarian (a+b, not b alone).

Drider
2007-11-25, 01:48 AM
1-5, Druid
6-10, Druid
11-15, Druid
16-20, Druid

1-5? they don't get wildshape yet...er...well they DO, but at the end of that vs 4 levels of hiding?

Xefas
2007-11-25, 01:50 AM
1-5? they don't get wildshape yet...

They get a crazy trippin' machine for free, though. Animal Companion :smallcool:

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-26, 02:05 PM
When is the Knight better, 1-5 or 6-10?