PDA

View Full Version : Dysfunctional Rules X: I Cast Comprehend Rules

ShurikVch
2022-04-08, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the 10th (and, possibly, the last) thread about rules in 3.5 and Pathfinder that don't work.

Check the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267985) to see if your dysfunction is already there, because we've covered many before.

Previous threads:

"Wait, That Didn't Work Right" - The Dysfunctional Rules Collection (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214988)
"Wait Again, That Didn't Work Right" - The Dysfunctional Rules Collection (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267923)
Dysfunctional Rules III: 100% Rules-Legal, 110% Silly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283778)
Dysfunctional Rules IV: It's Like a Sandwich Made of RAW Failure! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304817)
Dysfunctional Rules Thread V: Dysfunctions All the Way Down (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?333789-Dysfunctional-Rules-Thread-V-Dysfunctions-All-the-Way-Down)
Dysfunctional Rules VI: Magic Circle Against Errata (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372964-Dysfunctional-Rules-VI-Magic-Circle-Against-Errata)
Dysfunctional Rules VII: Mordenkainen's Dysfunction (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413407-Dysfunctional-Rules-VII-Mordenkainen-s-Dysfunction)
Dysfunctional Rules VIII: When General Trumps Specific (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471964-Dysfunctional-Rules-VIII-When-General-Trumps-Specific)
Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?508514-Dysfunctional-Rules-IX-1d3-Dysfunctions-from-the-8th-Level-List)

What this thread is for:

Rules that clearly do something that is pointless or self-abnegating (EG Focused Lexicon is a feat that provides nothing but a penalty, no-one can use Chain Power, Hindering Opportunist helps your enemy).
Rules that do something that is vastly contrary from anything that could possibly be the intended effect (Drown Healing, Greater Reversed Seek the Sky lasts forever, Reversed Mystic Rampart is meant to lower someone's saves but actually drops a tower on them).
Rules that cause an non-resolvable game state (Peerless Archers can stack infinite attacks of opportunity)
Rules that don't define something well enough to use it ("Distracted", "Minimum Caster Level", "Paladin spell", "Primary Ability Score", "Special Material", anything missing a range or other variables).
Rules that, while they don't actually have a negative impact on the game as a game, do stop it making sense (EG fire and acid don't do fire and acid damage, you can fall 9 feet onto your head and take no damage, falling creatures deal no damage if they land on you).
Two or more rules combine to cause an above problem (AC bonuses and bonus feats exist, but bonuses are only applicable to die rolls so no they don't).
As a general rule, if you need to write a house rule for it.

What this thread is not for

Typos (Weapon deals 1d33 or 1d43 damage because 3 isn't superscript; "Share Lesser Form" mistyped as "Share Laser Form".)
Dysfunctions that only arise because of a specific reading of the text (In combat, everyone is flat-footed until they act, so they must have been flat-footed whenever they weren't in combat, even though the text only specifies that they're flat-footed in combat. Someone who can't be flanked can't have a person on each side of them because if they did, they would be flanked.) Unless every possible reading of the text is dysfunctional no matter how you read it (even if it's dysfunctional in different ways).

ShurikVch
2022-04-08, 03:50 PM
Faceless Hate: When a victim of this disease takes enough Strength or Constitution damage to reduce the ability score to 0, the infection disappears. The characte's ability scores are immediately restored to what they were before the onset of the disease, but he becomes a monster with no face. The character loses his ability to see (and scent, if he has that ability), but gains blindsight with a range of 60 feet. He loses the ability to speak, but gains the Silent Spell feat if a spellcaster. The victim's alignment changes to neutral evil, and he becomes intent on killing all those who were his friends and family. When the victim has hunted down everyone dear to him, he turns his ire against all other living things. These changes are permanent, and remove disease has no effect. A wish or miracle spell restores the character, but nothing else will. If the victim dies and a remove disease spell is then cast on the corpse, a resurrection or true resurrection spell restores the character to life and to his original form. Raise dead won't work.
Firstly, I mused about how Cancer Mage - with their Disease Host class feature -

a cancer mage suffers no ill effects of diseases, except for purely cosmetic ones such as boils, pockmarks, watery eyes, blackened skin, hair loss, foul smell, and so on
- would "suffers no ill effects" from the loss of their face, and thus - would be able to see without eyes, smell without a nose, drink potions without a mouth...
But then it dawned to me:
-No mouth!
-No nose!!!
How the heck they are supposed to eat, drink, or breath?!!
Thus, unless they either have Iridescent Spindle (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones), or specific anatomy (gills or blowhole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowhole_(anatomy))) - they should be dead in a couple of hours top (excluding possible excessive Con optimization, persisted Deep Breath or Veil of Undeath)
Those who have some of aforementioned, would still perish in a few days unless they have access to ring of sustenance (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance), psionic sustenance (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sustenance.htm), Elans' Repletion (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans), or Elemental type

bekeleven
2022-04-09, 05:46 PM
Here's one that I think many of us know, but hasn't been brought up in one of these threads to my knowledge: Spellblades.

Spellblades have a 4-sentence description and still manage to include text that can be read as contradicting itself. (I think designer intent is clear but I've been in this argument plenty of times.) To quote:

The wielder of a spellblade weapon is immune to a single spell chosen at the time the weapon is created. [...] When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell, the weapon absorbs it. The issue here, of course, being the word "next," which makes it sound like the spellblade only works once. I don't read it like that, and if you assume that's the case it leads to some weirdness on its own, like an "expired" spellblade still technically being worth 6000 extra GP.

Whereas my assumed reading, where it works every time? That leads to even sillier consequences. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?151109-D-amp-D-3-5-Blowing-up-the-Action-Economy-with-Spellblade-Tennis) So even after you decide which part of the ability description is wrong, you're still making houserules.

Jervis
2022-04-12, 11:00 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned in one of these threads before, but the -2 sword being awesome will always be a favorite of mine.

After one week in a character’s possession, the sword always forces that character to employ it rather than another weapon. The sword’s owner automatically draws it and fights with it even when she meant to draw or ready some other weapon. The sword can be gotten rid of only by means of limited wish, wish, or miracle.

So we have a weapon that automatically teleports to your hand from other planes of existence and can survive being used against an Umbral Blot. Even Disjunction can’t get rid of it because of the specifics of the weapon. Getting it Sundered would be getting rid of it, disintegration would be getting rid of it, loosing it on another plane of existence would be getting rid of it. And because it forces you to use it then it basically has to just teleport to your hand when you draw a weapon. Sure you get -2 to attack rolls but that’s manageable

loky1109
2022-04-12, 11:15 AM
Cheapest iaijutsu focus full attack! Quiver with one arrow and -2 sword. )

Jervis
2022-04-12, 11:17 AM
Cheapest iaijutsu focus full attack! Quiver with one arrow and -2 sword. )

That… wow how have I never though of that.

Jervis
2022-04-12, 04:50 PM
Oh and on the topic of cursed items, a cursed wand of bestow curse that reverses a the effect of the spell is probably broken for giving a untyped +6 to ability scores and +4 to attack rolls

InvisibleBison
2022-04-12, 05:37 PM
Oh and on the topic of cursed items, a cursed wand of bestow curse that reverses a the effect of the spell is probably broken for giving a untyped +6 to ability scores and +4 to attack rolls

I think this falls under the category of "dysfunctions that only arise because of a specific reading of the text".

Jervis
2022-04-12, 05:47 PM
I think this falls under the category of "dysfunctions that only arise because of a specific reading of the text".

That is fair. Though the reverse effect cursed item property can lead to a lot of stupidity with wands. Though most of it comes into the realm of theoretical optimization since we don’t have concrete rules for what most of them would do.

A friend of mine also used cursed item crafting rules to make a bunch of ammo with the curse effect to Polymorph you with a instantaneous duration and essentially rouletted roll his body until he got something interesting. The guy made a spreadsheet of every published monster and used that to math out how long it would take statistically to roll a dragon. I’m sure there’s more nonsense with cursed item rules that can make them unintentionally awesome but the -2 sword is still my favorite just because optimizing away the -2 penalty just makes it an awesome sword and probably best candidate for a item familiar.

MornShine
2022-04-12, 06:12 PM
With Berserker Strength and Ettercap Berserker, whenever Brianna the Barbarian is in a particular range of hp, she ends up in an infinite rage/unrage loop-- low HP triggers Berserker Strength, which grants +6 con due to Ettercap Berserker, raising her HP high enough to deactivate Berserker Strength, causing her to lose the +6 con and fall below the threshold for Berserker Strength, causing Berserker Strength to activate, and so on and so on.

Because Berserker Strength is instantaneous, Brianna is constantly in a paradoxical cycle of rage.

Unfortunately, all the fun things that trigger when a Barbarian enters rage are Pathfinder material, not 3.5 material (AFAIK).

Also, for Cursed Sword shenanigans, I recommend using a shuriken-- it's its own ammunition, and unambiguously a "weapon".

Jervis
2022-04-12, 06:56 PM
With Berserker Strength and Ettercap Berserker, whenever Brianna the Barbarian is in a particular range of hp, she ends up in an infinite rage/unrage loop-- low HP triggers Berserker Strength, which grants +6 con due to Ettercap Berserker, raising her HP high enough to deactivate Berserker Strength, causing her to lose the +6 con and fall below the threshold for Berserker Strength, causing Berserker Strength to activate, and so on and so on.

Because Berserker Strength is instantaneous, Brianna is constantly in a paradoxical cycle of rage.

Unfortunately, all the fun things that trigger when a Barbarian enters rage are Pathfinder material, not 3.5 material (AFAIK).

Also, for Cursed Sword shenanigans, I recommend using a shuriken-- it's its own ammunition, and unambiguously a "weapon".

I love infinite loops like this. I vaguely remember someone using a rage related item or feat to generate extra HP (not just con related hp gain) when they use it or something but I can’t remember.

May I ask why you would use a Shuriken though? I suppose it lets you skip the quick draw feat tax so that’s a plus. Actually now that I think of it it’s only 1 damage less than a dagger so that’s pretty good, though i’m not sure you could apply Iaijutsu focus too it since it lacks the melee property. I kinda want to make a build for this now

Edit: I realized now that you meant pulling out shuriken as a way to draw the sword, i’m stupid

Jervis
2022-04-13, 10:02 AM
Something I was surprised not to see on the handbook. Players guide to Fearune lets you take regional feats you would otherwise not qualify for if you take 2 ranks in Knowledge Local at level 1. This lets you, among other things, take Jotunbrud on a non-human.

This does a lot of silly things but my favorites are letting you be a Kobold that counts as 3 different size categories when it would be beneficial, allowing you to be a small tiny at large, and letting you grapple a Goliath. And my favorite is that it arguably lets a small or smaller creature use swallow whole on a creature that’s a larger size category than it.

Oh, and if Dragon Mag is allowed then Eagle Stones are basically potions of true resurrection with half the cost.

ShurikVch
2022-04-13, 11:59 AM
Something I was surprised not to see on the handbook. Players guide to Fearune lets you take regional feats you would otherwise not qualify for if you take 2 ranks in Knowledge Local at level 1. This lets you, among other things, take Jotunbrud on a non-human.
That's incorrect: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting allowed it; no such permission in the Player's Guide to Faerûn...

This does a lot of silly things but my favorites are letting you be a Kobold that counts as 3 different size categories when it would be beneficial, allowing you to be a small tiny at large, and letting you grapple a Goliath.
It's arguable: according to the Anthrowhale,

Powerful build applies for grapple checks (giving a +4 bonus) but not for qualification to grapple (which is not an opposed check).
Obviously, the same thing could be said about the Jotunbrud feat...

And my favorite is that it arguably lets a small or smaller creature use swallow whole on a creature that’s a larger size category than it.
That's questionable - not just because of Grapple size limitations, but because you don't lose your feat-granted benefits while being magically reduced in size - would it be RAW for creature under the Minute Form effect to swallow something Tiny-, Small-, or even Medium-sized?
The similar, but closer to RAW case is - some monsters have Swallow Whole which lists exact sizes which it can swallow - such as Legendary Shark:

A legendary shark can swallow a Large or smaller creature

Jervis
2022-04-13, 01:18 PM
That's incorrect: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting allowed it; no such permission in the Player's Guide to Faerûn...

It's arguable: according to the Anthrowhale,

Obviously, the same thing could be said about the Jotunbrud feat...

That's questionable - not just because of Grapple size limitations, but because you don't lose your feat-granted benefits while being magically reduced in size - would it be RAW for creature under the Minute Form effect to swallow something Tiny-, Small-, or even Medium-sized?
The similar, but closer to RAW case is - some monsters have Swallow Whole which lists exact sizes which it can swallow - such as Legendary Shark:

Ah right, I mixed my Fearun books up. As for grappling itself, I’ve seen it argued both ways. One where you automatically fail the check if the size categories don’t mesh up and one where you can’t make the check at all if the sizes don’t mesh up. As for Swallow Whole I remembered it existing as feat it some book though I may be mistaken.

Regardless I think the counting as 3 size categories alone is funny enough to mention.

ShurikVch
2022-04-13, 04:11 PM
As for Swallow Whole I remembered it existing as feat it some book though I may be mistaken.
Snatch and Swallow (Draconomicon) - but you need to be a Huge Dragon to qualify for it

Regardless I think the counting as 3 size categories alone is funny enough to mention.
True.
Another - less RAW-questionable - way to do it is Kobold with Half-Ogre template and Hulking Brute feat: count as Medium - because, indeed, Medium, Small - because of Slight Build, and Large - because of Hulking Brute; can add in Deformity (tall) to be even more "Large" (just for fluff; but +5' reach is nice - even with penalties)

St Fan
2022-04-25, 04:33 PM
Not a big one, but still made me blink:

Light of Faith
Abjuration [Good]
Level: Cleric 2
[...]

This spell grants you a sacred (if you are good or neutral) or profane (if you are evil) bonus equal to one-half your divine caster level (maximum +5) on your next turning check.

This spell has the Good descriptor. Thus no evil Cleric can cast it. Thus there is no way to gain a profane bonus with it, despite what it says.

ShurikVch
2022-04-25, 05:34 PM
Not a big one, but still made me blink:

This spell has the Good descriptor. Thus no evil Cleric can cast it. Thus there is no way to gain a profane bonus with it, despite what it says.
Archivist?
Chameleon?
UMD?

loky1109
2022-04-25, 06:00 PM

Good cleric with Evil subtype?

St Fan
2022-04-26, 04:38 PM
Archivist?
Chameleon?
UMD?

Good cleric with Evil subtype?

Of course it is possible, there are always ways to get around limitations. But that just show how much proofreading was going on when a good spell can give a profane bonus.

loky1109
2022-04-26, 05:38 PM
Of course it is possible, there are always ways to get around limitations. But that just show how much proofreading was going on when a good spell can give a profane bonus.

I think it's better than Evil cleric with spell gives sacred bonus.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-05-07, 03:05 PM
The spell Crown of Glory, in its first iteration in BoED, had M/DF in its component line, requiring a costly component, with a pretty precise description of how it is used, only if it was cast as an arcane spell. However, the spell only appears on two specific cleric domains, and on no other spell list, which, barring Arcane Disciple, Planar Touchstone or domain draught (which are options which didn't even exist at the time), means that almost half of the spell's text had absolutely no effect.

ShurikVch
2022-05-07, 03:39 PM
The spell Crown of Glory, in its first iteration in BoED, had M/DF in its component line, requiring a costly component, with a pretty precise description of how it is used, only if it was cast as an arcane spell. However, the spell only appears on two specific cleric domains, and on no other spell list, which, barring Arcane Disciple, Planar Touchstone or domain draught (which are options which didn't even exist at the time), means that almost half of the spell's text had absolutely no effect.
Geomancer and Spell Versatility? It's still odd to cast it as arcane spell - but, at the very least, it was technically possible to do it back then...

Bucky
2022-05-09, 04:38 PM
Spellblades have a 4-sentence description and still manage to include text that can be read as contradicting itself. (I think designer intent is clear but I've been in this argument plenty of times.) To quote:

The RAW looks like the spellblade will outright nullify the first e.g. fireball, preventing it from having any effect on anything. Each subsequent time, the wielder is immune to the fireball but it still damages anyone else in the area.
----
Pathfinder has rules for siege towers. It describes them as having a bottom section for pushing the tower and a roof section as a fighting position. The siege towers supposedly help scale adjacent walls. But the dysfunction is that the written description notably lacks any built-in features like stairs, trapdoors or ladders, or any way to get people into the roof section that's easier than simply climbing the wall.

Laughing Dog
2022-05-09, 08:13 PM

Nitpick: Crown of Glory's first iteration was in Defenders of Faith, which BoED even states in the spell description. Also, back then it only appeared on one specific cleric prestige domain (fittingly enough, the Glory domain.)
EDIT:
If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access
to a prestige domain, the character generally does gain
access to the domain. She can use the granted power
bestowed by the domain normally. If she is a divine
spellcaster (a paladin, ranger, or druid), each day she can
cast one extra spell of each spell level to which she
normally has access, which must be the spell from the
prestige domain for that level. If she is an arcane spellcaster (wizard, sorcerer, or bard), the domain spells are
added to her spells known—scribed in a wizard’s spellbook, or added to a sorcerer or bard’s list of known spells,
in addition to the character’s normal number
Not a dysfunction after all.

Dimers
2022-05-16, 08:52 PM
Stormwrack's dark tide spell has issues. First, there's the already known type of dysfunction that its area can be considerably larger than its range. Area and range are matched at CL 56 if you center the spell on yourself. Second, well ... It's a Necromancy spell, so what the designers probably intended was changing existing water with negative energy. But that's not what they wrote. Instead, they describe what's clearly a Conjuration effect that creates a mile-wide sphere of water. (Rough sphere, depending on obstacles -- the area is a spread.) The text says "creating a tide of blackwater that spreads out ... until it fills the entire area."

Even constrained by the spell's Long range, that's a lot of BFC, and it's hard for casters to overcome because if you're casting with V components then you're not holding your breath. It's also a lot of drowning death when used against mundane cities or armies. Or death by pressure and hypothermia from the normal rules for deep and cold water, take your pick.

So, eh, it's a weak dysfunction, just "this spell is in the wrong school". I mostly wanted to highlight another piece of unintended RAW silliness.

Dimers
2022-06-01, 09:38 PM
The Savage Species spell earth reaver says "Those that fail the saving throw are knocked prone." It has no save.

Biggus
2022-06-01, 10:06 PM
Instead, they describe what's clearly a Conjuration effect that creates a mile-wide sphere of water. (Rough sphere, depending on obstacles -- the area is a spread.) The text says "creating a tide of blackwater that spreads out ... until it fills the entire area."

It says it creates a tide. A tide is a movement, not a substance.

ShurikVch
2022-06-02, 04:45 AM
Don't know if it belongs there, but Arms and Equipment Guide is peppered with mentions of 2E spells which either don't exist in 3E, or, at the very least, don't have the same name.
So far I noticed:
Closing Blade required Free Action spell
Death Spell is a requirement for Balor's Sword of Flame, Balor's Sword of Soul Stealing, and Sword of the Solars

Beni-Kujaku
2022-06-02, 07:36 AM
Don't know if it belongs there, but Arms and Equipment Guide is peppered with mentions of 2E spells which either don't exist in 3E, or, at the very least, don't have the same name.
So far I noticed:
Death Spell is a requirement for Balor's Sword of Flame, Balor's Sword of Soul Stealing, and Sword of the Solars

I. Cast. Death.

Telonius
2022-06-02, 10:09 AM
Archivist?
Chameleon?
UMD?

Evil cleric of a Neutral deity?

Bucky
2022-07-11, 01:14 AM
Let's talk about hugging fire elementals in 3.5.

If you hit a fire elemental with an unarmed attack, you need to save against being set on fire.
If a fire elemental hits you with its natural weapon, you need to save against being set on fire.
If a fire elemental grapples you, that isn't its natural weapon so there is no risk of being set on fire.
If you have been grappled by a fire elemental while unarmed, you can attempt opposed grapple checks to do many things. These aren't attacks, not even the one that does the damage of an unarmed strike, so they won't set you on fire.
Similarly, the fire elemental's own grapple checks won't set you on fire.

In short, hugging or wrestling with fire elementals is unreasonably safe.

Jack_Simth
2022-07-11, 04:36 PM
Firstly, I mused about how Cancer Mage - with their Disease Host class feature -

- would "suffers no ill effects" from the loss of their face, and thus - would be able to see without eyes, smell without a nose, drink potions without a mouth...
But then it dawned to me:
-No mouth!
-No nose!!!
How the heck they are supposed to eat, drink, or breath?!!
Thus, unless they either have Iridescent Spindle (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones), or specific anatomy (gills or blowhole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowhole_(anatomy))) - they should be dead in a couple of hours top (excluding possible excessive Con optimization, persisted Deep Breath or Veil of Undeath)
Those who have some of aforementioned, would still perish in a few days unless they have access to ring of sustenance (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance), psionic sustenance (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sustenance.htm), Elans' Repletion (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans), Elemental or Outsider type

The cancer mage doesn't suffer the ability damage, so never loses face.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-11, 04:52 PM
Let's talk about hugging fire elementals in 3.5.

If you hit a fire elemental with an unarmed attack, you need to save against being set on fire.
If a fire elemental hits you with its natural weapon, you need to save against being set on fire.
If a fire elemental grapples you, that isn't its natural weapon so there is no risk of being set on fire.
If you have been grappled by a fire elemental while unarmed, you can attempt opposed grapple checks to do many things. These aren't attacks, not even the one that does the damage of an unarmed strike, so they won't set you on fire.
Similarly, the fire elemental's own grapple checks won't set you on fire.

In short, hugging or wrestling with fire elementals is unreasonably safe.

Grapple (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) is defined as Special Attack. Thus, the fire elemental works as it should work by common sense. No dysfunction here imho.

InvisibleBison
2022-07-11, 06:14 PM
Grapple (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) is defined as Special Attack. Thus, the fire elemental works as it should work by common sense. No dysfunction here imho.

Unfortunately, this doesn't actually resolve the dysfunction. The fire elemental's burn ability only says that the elemental's slam attack deals fire damage and sets people on fire. Other attacks don't do so.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-11, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately, this doesn't actually resolve the dysfunction. The fire elemental's burn ability only says that the elemental's slam attack deals fire damage and sets people on fire. Other attacks don't do so.

Burn (Ex)

A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental’s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. The save DC varies with the elemental’s size (see table). A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

"Unarmed Attacks" doesn't sole apply to "Unarmed Strikes" but also to "Grapple".

Unarmed Attacks != Unarmed Strike

Unarmed Attacks = Unarmed Strike; Grapple;...

edit: and while the elemental does not burn an enemy for "grappling" it itself, it will use its slam attack, thus still apply his burn ability.

ShurikVch
2022-07-11, 07:17 PM
Not exactly: while disease is usually harmless for them, once something damage their Str to 0 - disease would act and they would lose the face...

InvisibleBison
2022-07-11, 08:19 PM
"Unarmed Attacks" doesn't sole apply to "Unarmed Strikes" but also to "Grapple".

Unarmed Attacks != Unarmed Strike

Unarmed Attacks = Unarmed Strike; Grapple;...

edit: and while the elemental does not burn an enemy for "grappling" it itself, it will use its slam attack, thus still apply his burn ability.

That creates a new dysfunction without resolving the actual original dysfunction. The new dysfunction is that you take fire damage if you grapple the elemental, but not if it grapples you. And it still doesn't resolve the fact that physical contact with a fire elemental by default does not deal damage. Perhaps the specific example that was cited as evidence of the dysfunction may not be correct, but there are plenty of other cases where it still shows up.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-12, 12:14 AM
That creates a new dysfunction without resolving the actual original dysfunction. The new dysfunction is that you take fire damage if you grapple the elemental, but not if it grapples you. And it still doesn't resolve the fact that physical contact with a fire elemental by default does not deal damage. Perhaps the specific example that was cited as evidence of the dysfunction may not be correct, but there are plenty of other cases where it still shows up.

Why would that be a dysfunction?
I don't see any contradicting rule situation.

"Just because "magical fire" doesn't act like "normal fire" doesn't make it dysfunctional, that is the norm in 3.5

Sure; I get how you feel about this. But you should also keep in mind that especially monster abilities are often tailored towards a specific CR. And in the case of the Fire Elemental, the ability has to be in a similar CR range as the abilities the other elementals with the same CR get.
Maybe that is the intended reasoning behind it, who knows. (That giving the fire elemental a touchattack + fireshield ability would have been to strong).
But what I know is, that by RAW I see no dysfunction. The sole thing broke here is our "imagination of real life fire", but dunno if that should be the measuring tool here.

InvisibleBison
2022-07-12, 07:44 AM
Why would that be a dysfunction?
I don't see any contradicting rule situation.

"Just because "magical fire" doesn't act like "normal fire" doesn't make it dysfunctional, that is the norm in 3.5

Where does it say that fire elementals are made of "magical fire"?

Also, you should probably go re-read the opening post, because "dysfunction" does not mean "contradicting rules situation". It seems to me that "fire elementals are made of fire that only sometimes burns things" is a perfect example of

Rules that, while they don't actually have a negative impact on the game as a game, do stop it making sense (EG fire and acid don't do fire and acid damage, you can fall 9 feet onto your head and take no damage, falling creatures deal no damage if they land on you).

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-12, 11:28 AM
Where does it say that fire elementals are made of "magical fire"?

Also, you should probably go re-read the opening post, because "dysfunction" does not mean "contradicting rules situation". It seems to me that "fire elementals are made of fire that only sometimes burns things" is a perfect example of

If that is your interpretation/definition of "dysfunctional", heck easily 50%+ of the spells and abilities are dysfunctional.

- Burning Hands? Your hands are on fire and you take no damage. Dysfunctional
- Flame Blade (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm)? You are holding a sword made of fire... also dysfunctional...
- why do form changing abilities only heal when you turn into something else and not also when you turn back? dysfunctional

Sorry but no. If you look at everything on a binary black or white basis, the logic behind this thread falls apart for me. You have to take the supernatural and magical aspects of 3.5 into your common sense logic, or almost anything becomes dysfunctional.

loky1109
2022-07-12, 03:14 PM
You have to take the supernatural and magical aspects of 3.5 into your common sense logic, or almost anything becomes dysfunctional.

With that in mind, not burning fire elemental still is dysfunctional.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-12, 09:02 PM
With that in mind, not burning fire elemental still is dysfunctional.

As said, if that is the assumption here, most spells that don't harm the user/caster are dysfunctional. (like in the examples provided).

Same goes for things like First of Energy (Enlightened Fist) or Sacred Flames (Sacred Fist). Wrapping your hands (and feet) in energy/fire that doesn't harm you is also dysfunctional.

Flying/levitation is dysfuntional because of gravity, is this where we will end?

And where does the endless fuel come to keep the fire elemental's fire burning?

An elemental itself is dysfunctional according to that. What does the element keep in shape to form the elemental?

Sorry, but real life physics barely apply to 3.5 and shouldn't be taken as measurement if something is "functional" or "dysfunctional" imho.

It's one thing if something is "dysfunctional" (rules can't produce reliable results) or if it breaks "real life physics" (rules don't always work as in real life). The latter statement is one of the elementary things 3.5 is based on. Supernatural, magical or exceptional abilities that break real life physics.

loky1109
2022-07-13, 03:45 AM
As said, if that is the assumption here, most spells that don't harm the user/caster are dysfunctional. (like in the examples provided).
Wrong. Spells are products created with purpose. They designed not to harm spellcaster. Fire elemental is opposite thing.

This isn't "real life physics" this is common sense.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-13, 04:25 AM
Wrong. Spells are products created with purpose. They designed not to harm spellcaster. Fire elemental is opposite thing.

This isn't "real life physics" this is common sense.

Common sense in 3.5 is that often (not always) the user has some control over his abilities to not harm himself or his allies.

This is also true for the Fire Elemental's Burn ability. It has full control when grappling if it wants to burn his target with an Slam attack, or do a non Slam action and not burn his target (e.g. to grapple an ally for some reason).

Further if anyone uses any kind of grappling action against the fire elemental, they take damage.

For me, this is working as intended if I look at other "fire abilities" that work similar.

Just because the Fire Elemental has control over his Burn ability (since its tied to his Slam attack) in grapple doesn't make it dysfunctional imho.

Do you really think that F. Elementals should "double burn" their foes in a grapple?
Once for the initial grapple and then again for the Slam attack? Is that you expectation of normal here?

loky1109
2022-07-13, 05:33 AM
This is also true for the Fire Elemental's Burn ability. It has full control when grappling if it wants to burn his target with an Slam attack, or do a non Slam action and not burn his target (e.g. to grapple an ally for some reason).
First, I don't agree with "elemental's full control". I can control myself, but I can't became liquid.

Further if anyone uses any kind of grappling action against the fire elemental, they take damage.
RAW, no.

Just because the Fire Elemental has control over his Burn ability (since its tied to his Slam attack) in grapple doesn't make it dysfunctional imho.
"Tied to Slam attack" isn't "having control". It literally opposite.

Do you really think that F. Elementals should "double burn" their foes in a grapple?
Once for the initial grapple and then again for the Slam attack? Is that you expectation of normal here?
It looks normal. Better than harmless hugs. RAW I can pin elemental for long long time and get no damage.

ShurikVch
2022-07-13, 11:41 AM
Even if it would be correct for Cancer Mage - it still leaves everybody else...

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-13, 12:04 PM
First, I don't agree with "elemental's full control". I can control myself, but I can't became liquid.

"You" can control if you want to make an (unarmed strike) attack or to not make an attack.
The Fire Elemental can control/chose to use its Slam attack or not.
The Fire Elemental doesn't have a "touch attack" ability + fire shield. It has a Slam attack with a burn effect, that also works as kind of fire-shield against enemy attacks.

RAW, no.
Would you be so nice to provide an argument?
I can repeat mine:

Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

"Hitting": Doesn't require to apply damage. You just need to "hit" with your "attack". So even hitting with a non-damaging touch spell/attack counts here.

"Unarmed Attack": the "Grapple" action is a Special "Attack" that is also made unarmed.

As such the following grapple actions cause you to "Burn" when you attack & hit a Fire Elemental:

Step 2: Grab. You make a melee touch attack to grab the target. If you fail to hit the target, the grapple attempt fails. If you succeed, proceed to Step 3.
As you can see, the you start a grapple and "Grab (step2)" a Fire Elemental and "hit", you get burned.

Attack Your Opponent: You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a –4 penalty on such attacks.
You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons
You also get burned if you try to attack the F. Elemental while being a grapple.

"Tied to Slam attack" isn't "having control". It literally opposite.

The F. Elemental can chose to grapple an ally without burning him instantly with his Burn ability, since that is tied to the Slam attack. I meant that as control here.

It looks normal. Better than harmless hugs. RAW I can pin elemental for long long time and get no damage.
You get burned when you "Grab" the fire elemental. And on the Fire Elemental's turn (same round) it can still use its Slam attack to "Burn" you.
Sure it can try to escape the "pin" which would leave you for that turn unharmed. But that fits my imagination. The F. Elemental is winding in the pin and tries to break free of the pin. It can chose to "Slam" and "Burn" or try to escape the "Pin".

loky1109
2022-07-13, 01:55 PM
F. elemental's body literally is fire. All body, not just his fists.
Attempt to start grapple burn you, yes, grapple itself don't (I don't have attack elemental, I can do damage via grapple check). Don't you see issue? Grabbing big humanoid shaped piece of fire is harmless. Striking this piece of fire isn't. Touching isn't, too.

And if elemental is pinned, he can't try to strike me, escape grapple is only thing he can try. Pinning elemental is harmless completely.

"The Fire Elemental doesn't have a "touch attack" ability + fire shield."
It should. Something like oozes' acid. This is disfunction.

Bucky
2022-07-13, 03:35 PM
You also get burned if you try to attack the F. Elemental while being a grapple.

...but not if you succeed at a grapple check to damage the elemental! That's "equivalent to an unarmed strike", but you don't check for a hit with the strike and thus, dysfunctionally, can't be set on fire.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-13, 07:14 PM
F. elemental's body literally is fire. All body, not just his fists.
Attempt to start grapple burn you, yes, grapple itself don't (I don't have attack elemental, I can do damage via grapple check). Don't you see issue? Grabbing big humanoid shaped piece of fire is harmless. Striking this piece of fire isn't. Touching isn't, too.

And if elemental is pinned, he can't try to strike me, escape grapple is only thing he can try. Pinning elemental is harmless completely.

"The Fire Elemental doesn't have a "touch attack" ability + fire shield."
It should. Something like oozes' acid. This is disfunction.
&

...but not if you succeed at a grapple check to damage the elemental! That's "equivalent to an unarmed strike", but you don't check for a hit with the strike and thus, dysfunctionally, can't be set on fire.

You both are falling trap to the "6 second round" vs "your 6 second turn" imagination.

In the chase that the grapple already started and you did chose not to escape the Fire Elemental's grapple.

1.) You are already taking damage in "this round" from a possible Slam attack
2.) If you just use non-hitting grapple action, you don't hit or make more contact than you already are.
3.) If you attempt to "hit" your enemy with your "grapple action", you take more damage, since you use brute force tactics instead of being smart.

I mean how often should a foe take Burn damage per "round" in grapple? If I follow your arguments I suppose something like up to 4 times?

a) when the F. elemental starts/holds the grapple
b) when the F. Elemental uses its Slam while grappling
c) when you start/hold the grapple (doesn't immediately try to escape)
d) when you attack the elemental unarmed or with natural weapons while grappling

(PS: those options I don't believe in are in RED)

So instead of 1-2 times Burn damage "per round" (my interpretation), you wanna have up to 4 times Burn damage so that it fits your imagination of real life fire. Because somehow you are able to count "how many times real life fire does damage to you." Sorry that I have a hard time believing that you are able to count the amounts of times you take fire damage during 6 seconds. Because that would be the "position" your argument is taking in here.

Is that really your intention here? Does the F. Elemental not enough times Burn dmg per round (in "my interpretation") to satisfy your feeling for realism of fire?

loky1109
2022-07-13, 07:38 PM
1.) You are already taking damage in "this round" from a possible Slam attack
What if elemental missed? Or didn't use slam attack? Harmless hugs with fire?

I mean how often should a foe take Burn damage per "round" in grapple? If I follow your arguments I suppose something like up to 4 times?
Don't look at up to, let look at from. From zero times.

So instead of 1-2 times Burn damage "per round" (my interpretation), you wanna have up to 4 times Burn damage so that it fits your imagination of real life fire. Because somehow you are able to count "how many times real life fire does damage to you."
No. I want something instead of nothing which is possible.

b) when the F. Elemental uses its Slam while grappling
If he used it and if he hits.

d) when you attack the elemental unarmed or with natural weapons while grappling
If you do this. You most likely don't.

I don't need to start grapple every round, so this isn't "per round" option, it's once. Hold is out of discussion because it isn't (while should).

So I want 1-2 times Burn instead 0-1 per round. Or 1 instead 0 if I pin elemental.

Because somehow you are able to count "how many times real life fire does damage to you."
It's clearly "more than zero times."

UPD:

I'd say "when you start (or end, don't know what is better) your turn being in grapple with F elemental".

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-13, 08:41 PM
What if elemental missed? Or didn't use slam attack? Harmless hugs with fire?

...*snip*...

Haven't you ever seen how someone can move fast in fire without taking any damage? If you are fast enough and don't make long contact you can avoid taking fire damage to some degree. Which means that there need to be a certain amount of contact time for you to take dmg, depending on your speed/agility.

Further, you are assuming that all fire has to be hot and thus damaging.

Btw, did you know that we can produce cold fire (room temperature)? Or even cold enough to "freeze" stuff? (Freezing Fire YT video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpv2AqbZ1E))
Thus there is no reason to assume that the F. Elemental's body is constantly damaging anything it "touches". As said, its not a touch attack. Sole the Slam attack is able to apply fire dmg to you. And in return, only if you "hit" the elemental unarmed/natural weapon, you accumulate enough fire heat (due to moving directly towards the source of the fire steam) to take damage.
Does this help you to explain what is going on?

Imho you try to forcefully apply real life physics with assumptions (that the fire is damaging all the time) that are not reflected by the rules. While imho there are options to explain the situation with real life physics.

Try to see it this way. In real life you can try to avoid taking fire dmg (minimizing dmg) or you can try to force your way out (taking the risk of more dmg to achieve a goal). Same can be said about the Burn ability. A foe can try to minimize the dmg in a grapple with an immediate escape attempt, or go brute force and remain in a grapple and risk taking more fire damage.
And if he is fast enough (escape the grapple on his first turn being grappled by the F. Elemental), he can avoid being Burned at all.
If he is so insane to pin the F. Elemental, he risks being burned by the Slam ability. The pinned F. Elemental has to chose to either use its Slam to build enough heat to burn you, or focus on escaping the pin.

loky1109
2022-07-14, 05:40 AM
Haven't you ever seen how someone can move fast in fire without taking any damage? If you are fast enough and don't make long contact you can avoid taking fire damage to some degree. Which means that there need to be a certain amount of contact time for you to take dmg, depending on your speed/agility.

A foe can try to minimize the dmg in a grapple with an immediate escape attempt, or go brute force and remain in a grapple and risk taking more fire damage.
And if he is fast enough (escape the grapple on his first turn being grappled by the F. Elemental), he can avoid being Burned at all.
You didn't read me or I so bad in writing?

What "move fast" you are talking about? I talk you "I can harmless pin elemental for unlimited amount of time" you talk me about "escape the grapple on his first turn". What?

Btw, did you know that we can produce cold fire (room temperature)? Or even cold enough to "freeze" stuff? (Freezing Fire YT video)
Do you really think it can be about Fire elemental? Fire elemental of room temperature?

And in return, only if you "hit" the elemental unarmed/natural weapon, you accumulate enough fire heat (due to moving directly towards the source of the fire steam) to take damage.
If you move through fire quick (strike elemental) you take damage. If you slowly snuggle fire for a long time you don't.

Thus there is no reason to assume that the F. Elemental's body is constantly damaging anything it "touches".
I disagree.

Does this help you to explain what is going on?
No.

Imho you try to forcefully apply real life physics
Again no.

that are not reflected by the rules
Yes, that's why this is Dysfunctional Rules.

While imho there are options to explain the situation with real life physics.
Occam's razor isn't on your side. Your explanations are more complicated and less intuitive.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-14, 11:40 PM
You didn't read me or I so bad in writing?

What "move fast" you are talking about? I talk you "I can harmless pin elemental for unlimited amount of time" you talk me about "escape the grapple on his first turn". What?
According to your assumption the Fire Elemental has to start a successful grapple attempt and then lose all future rolls, because now magically "sole you win the grapple rolls" to pin him. The Fire Elemental sole tries to escape the pin and not to attack you. How convenient..

Do you really think it can be about Fire elemental? Fire elemental of room temperature?
Do you have any indicator that proves otherwise? Since I'm not biased towards a certain outcome I can easily assume that it is not constantly burning hot. And your assumption is based on what? At least not on the rules presented. Since I tried multiple times to showcase how a legit interpretation of the rules might look like.

If you move through fire quick (strike elemental) you take damage. If you slowly snuggle fire for a long time you don't.
You are totally overshadowing him in the grapple as you said. So much that he sole tries to escape and not hurt you back. Your assuming that the fire elemental tries to escape the grapple and not use the grapple to harm his enemy all the time. Well if the Fire Elemental itself is not interested in harming you, it's no wonder when you never take Burn dmg.
How do you explain that the F. Elemental never tries to successfully use its Slam attack?
It managed to get a hold on you (for unarmed strike dmg), because you can't start a grapple without getting burned (due to the needed successful Touch Attack = unarmed attack). But as said, magically now sole you win the grapple rolls to pin it forever..

I disagree.

No.

Again no.

I know your opinion by now. Repeating it won't convince me. How about some logical arguments to back up your position? If you really wanna convince people of your point of view, it would help to connect your opinion with some logical arguments based on the rule text. Simple yes/no answers are just provocative, since you just say "I'm right, you are wrong, and you have to believe what I say", which is rude.

Yes, that's why this is Dysfunctional Rules.

Occam's razor isn't on your side. Your explanations are more complicated and less intuitive.

After making a bunch of wild assumptions (F. Elemental sole winning its initiating grapple roll and then constantly losing somehow and never wins again), you come to the conclusion that it is dysfunctional. And Occam's Razor should favor you? Sorry, it's the opposite. You have made assumptions not reflected by the rule text, have sole given your minimalist opinion without explanations, while I tried to connect the given rules with real life physics.
You are totally biased towards a specific outcome to forcefully come to the conclusion that the F Elemental is dysfunctional, without giving it a chance to have a legit explanation. That's not how Occam's razor works.

loky1109
2022-07-15, 12:45 AM
How do you explain that the F. Elemental never tries to successfully use its Slam attack?
He is pinned.

wild assumptions (F. Elemental sole winning its initiating grapple roll and then constantly losing somehow and never wins again)
Never said that.
Doesn't matter who initiate grapple. Yes, it highly likely can be me, yes, I take Burn once. And what does it change? "Never wins" grapple is exaggeration, but even several round in row (say four) is enough to see issue.

And Occam's Razor should favor you?
Of course yes! I talk about fire elemental itself and your trying to explain why he isn't hot. Room temperature fire elemental is nonsense even if nothing in rulebooks saying this directly.
Forever pin example is just example it shouldn't be something from real game. It isn't assumption it's thought experiment. My sole assumption is: "Fire Elemental should be constantly burning hot." against your: "Fire Elemental can be of room temperature."

UPD:

Do you have any indicator that proves otherwise?
Yes, I have!

A mass of ambulatory flame races across the ground, seeming to flicker and spark from a central, humanoid-shaped conflagration. Like a living inferno, the fire-creature’s burning dance of heat and flame brings it ever closer
Fire elementals are fast and agile. The merest touch from their fiery bodies is sufficient to set many materials aflame.

loky1109
2022-07-16, 03:03 PM
Let's talk about something less controversial.

Serpent Kingdoms... I bless you...

Members of this house, known as Eselemaa, are known for their jungle srealth and battle-prowess. Those who hunt regularly possess the Prehensile Tail feat and are accomplished at wielding and hurling weapons with their tails.

Well, looks ok, yeah? No, it doesn't.

Prerequisite: STR 13, tail attack, Two-Weapon Fighting or Multiweapon Fighting.
Yuan-Ti don't possess tail attack.
https://i.gifer.com/5Pm.gif

Jervis
2022-07-16, 03:52 PM
Not quite a standard dysfunction but seeing as I am who I am it’s worth bringing up that, after all these years, we still aren’t 100% sure how Sha’ir spell retrieval and subsequent spell vanishing works. I have a entire thread somewhere on this site dedicated to explaining how they’re debatably spontaneous casters. That’s definitely a bizarre take and not something I want to launch into a debate about here but just the fact that a Sha’ir can be argued to function as a spontaneous caster, prepared caster, both, or neither is worth bringing up.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-16, 08:45 PM
He is pinned.
Yeah, and what should that change? Are you maybe under the false impression that a pinned character may not attack anymore? If that is the case, reread pls the rule. It sole limits movement ("imobile").

If You’re Pinned by an Opponent

When an opponent has pinned you, you are held immobile (but not helpless) for 1 round. While you’re pinned, you take a -4 penalty to your AC against opponents other than the one pinning you. At your opponent’s option, you may also be unable to speak. On your turn, you can try to escape the pin by making an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action. If you win, you escape the pin, but you’re still grappling.
Nowhere does the text imply a restriction to your attacks. It sole restricts your movement and provides additional "attack replacement"-actions.

Of course yes! I talk about fire elemental itself and your trying to explain why he isn't hot. Room temperature fire elemental is nonsense even if nothing in rulebooks saying this directly.
Forever pin example is just example it shouldn't be something from real game. It isn't assumption it's thought experiment. My sole assumption is: "Fire Elemental should be constantly burning hot." against your: "Fire Elemental can be of room temperature."

UPD:

Yes, I have!
The rulebook provides you with mechanical rules.
As we have agreed, there is no mechanical dysfunction that it becomes unplayable/unsolvable.

While we could explain what is happening with real life physics, you insist that the F. Elemental is constantly having the same high temperature over its entire body. You are implying things that are not presented by rules to discredit em.
What happens when you cover up fire? You extinguish the covered fire (unless the reaction is non Oxigen/air based, which are rare).

And while I said, room temperature fire, that was just meant as one possible option. How about fire with a temperature slightly below boiling point. Contact won't kill you right away, but will definitively hurt you. And since you have now covered the spot, the reaction at that spot is stopped and the temperature starts to drop.

Instead of picking sole one point of view, I would suggest to try multiple views on a situation before calling it dysfunctional. You just picked one view, that you favor for some reason, and ignore other possible options. Instead of relying on non ruletext-based assumptions to discredit rules, you could take the rules and try to find real life explanations. But that might require more work (and sometimes more research... I 'm reminded of a debate where we where discussing the anatomy of beholders and squids and the like, if they have heads for the multiheaded template...
edit: we even had someone outing himself as biology professor, who did gave us a free lesson on the anatomy of animals..^^).

loky1109
2022-07-17, 02:00 AM
Yeah, and what should that change? Are you maybe under the false impression that a pinned character may not attack anymore?

This impression isn't false.

This is the false impression:

It sole restricts your movement and provides additional "attack replacement"-actions.

"In place of an attack" doesn't mean you can actually attack. Here this sentence is only for determining numbers of attempts.

Nowhere does the text imply a restriction to your attacks.
Let's read.

If You’re Grappling

Cast a Spell
You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that you can cast while grappling, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. You don’t have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.

"Cast a Spell" is the single grapple action option which has this sentence (or even while pinned). This means over options (besides options added in pin description) are not available. In pin description are added two options: "try to escape the pin by making an opposed grapple check in place of an attack" and "make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action". Eventually we have only three possible action for pinned creature.

If you still don't agree with me, there is one guy who can confirm my words, you maybe know him.

As you might expect, you can't move out of the space you share with a foe that has pinned you. You cannot take any other actions except to make an opposed grapple check to escape the pin in place of an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action. If you win the opposed check, you escape the pin, but you're still grappling. If your base attack bonus allows you to make multiple attacks, you can attempt to escape the pin multiple times (at successively lower attack bonuses). If you escape the pin, you're still grappling with your foe, but if you have still have attacks available, you can keep right on grappling, as noted in Part Two.

All About Grappling (Part Three) (https://web.archive.org/web/20161031215247/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050315a)

As we have agreed, there is no mechanical dysfunction that it becomes unplayable/unsolvable.
Drown healing has no mechanical dysfunction, too. Isn't it dysfunctional rule? I think it clearly is.
There are no mechanical issue in the non-burning elemental, yes. But it still is dysfunctional, because while it work, it work wrong, not work as it should work.

While we could explain what is happening with real life physics
Your assumption "fire elemental can actually consist of cold fire" while is from real life physics and can be "explanation" doesn't work. First. I gave you quotas where write - Fire Elemental is hot!
Second. Aragorn's pant. J. R. R. Tolkien newer said that Aragorn wore pant. Does it mean that Aragorn walk around parading his reproductive organs or we should use default idea that men wear pants? Nowhere in D&D rules said nothing about Fire elemental temperature, yes. Do you really think Fire elemental can be room temperature without special indication to this? Or can we use our default that "fire is hot"?

And while I said, room temperature fire, that was just meant as one possible option.
It is impossible option.

How about fire with a temperature slightly below boiling point.
Still impossible.

Read again:

The merest touch from their fiery bodies is sufficient to set many materials aflame.
What materials can be set aflame by a room temperature or a temperature slightly below boiling point?

Bucky
2022-07-17, 11:48 PM
What materials can be set aflame by a room temperature or a temperature slightly below boiling point?
Quite a few! But you don't tend to encounter them in everyday life for obvious reasons.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-18, 12:41 AM
This impression isn't false.

This is the false impression:

"In place of an attack" doesn't mean you can actually attack. Here this sentence is only for determining numbers of attempts.
The first part of the sentence sole restricts your movement. I guess we share this view and we can proceed to the remaining part of the sentence.
The final part of the sentence gives you additional "attack replacement"-actions (in addition to those "attack replacement" options you are given in the general grappling rules).
Where does it say that you can't use the "general attack action"-options anymore? The general grappling rules still apply. You are still in a grapple state. A specific one, but the rule provided for that specific "pin" state sole restrict your movement and add options that you can use instead of an attack. Nowhere does it say you can't attack anymore.
This is not a full lock grappling technique where your enemies actions are totally restricted. The 3.5 "pin" state is when the grapplers are on the ground and one has the upper position. The grounded grappler can still attack (e.g. a headbutt; a knife, claws, bite...).
Do you know the "mount" stance? A common grappling stance from many combat arts. The "3.5 pin" resembles something like in This Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrmEBTUypU). You have the option to prevent your foe from speaking if you want (to invest your action into it), but you foe is still capable of attacking you back or can try to escape the "pin/mount" state. It is not a state of full lock used for submission. The 3.5 rules don't reflect this kind of grappling.

Let's read.

"Cast a Spell" is the single grapple action option which has this sentence (or even while pinned). This means over options (besides options added in pin description) are not available. In pin description are added two options: "try to escape the pin by making an opposed grapple check in place of an attack" and "make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action". Eventually we have only three possible action for pinned creature.

If you still don't agree with me, there is one guy who can confirm my words, you maybe know him.
casting a spell just confirms with a friendly reminder that the general options are still available in the "pin" state.

Sadly, "Skip" seems to have the false impression what RAW is dictating here. His intention (if he did write that rule at all) was maybe that "pin" should resemble a "full lock submission hold", but that is not what the rules tell us. "Pin" is grounded grappling with one person in a favorable position, e.g. "mounting your foe".

Your assumption "fire elemental can actually consist of cold fire" while is from real life physics and can be "explanation" doesn't work. First. I gave you quotas where write - Fire Elemental is hot!
Second. Aragorn's pant. J. R. R. Tolkien newer said that Aragorn wore pant. Does it mean that Aragorn walk around parading his reproductive organs or we should use default idea that men wear pants? Nowhere in D&D rules said nothing about Fire elemental temperature, yes. Do you really think Fire elemental can be room temperature without special indication to this? Or can we use our default that "fire is hot"?

It is impossible option.

Still impossible.

Read again:

Cold fire was just to showcase that you can produce fire at nearly any temperature. There are still limits like the freezing point. But the argument was intended to show that any temperature is possible. We assume that on first contact (when the fire is still fully exposed to Oxygen to fuel its reaction) the fire is at the hottest state and just enough to damage you. But constant contact extinguishes the flames locally temporarily enough to prevent further damage. While a punch or headbutt will cause new/additional body parts to come into contact.

___

As said, if we start to nitpick, we could also argue that nobody gets sunburn from taking fire damage or by having a fire elemental standing near to you all day long. And we have "sunburn" rules in Sandstorm, but these don't cover such specific situations. From a logical point of view: "When a foe's entire body was grilled by an fire AoE attack, he should have at least the same condition as someone who is merely sunburn."

loky1109
2022-07-18, 02:37 AM
The final part of the sentence gives you additional "attack replacement"-actions (in addition to those "attack replacement" options you are given in the general grappling rules).
Can't agree with you. For me it looks exactly as full available list (plus casting a spell as special exception) of "attack replacement" actions available for pinned creature.

Where does it say that you can't use the "general attack action"-options anymore?
By that logic, you can use this option being pinned:

Escape from Grapple
You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action. If more than one opponent is grappling you, your grapple check result has to beat all their individual check results to escape. (Opponents don’t have to try to hold you if they don’t want to.) If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s).
and this:

Pin Your Opponent
You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack). Once you have an opponent pinned, you have a few options available to you (see below).

This is not a full lock grappling technique where your enemies actions are totally restricted.
I think it exactly is. And should be. Yes, wording is slightly poor and ambiguous, but there are nothing against my interpretation.

The 3.5 "pin" state is when the grapplers are on the ground and one has the upper position. The grounded grappler can still attack (e.g. a headbutt; a knife, claws, bite...).
Where did you take it from? It's clearly wrong. "On the ground" names "prone" not "pin".

The "3.5 pin" resembles something like in This Video.
You need only to give at least some proof of this hypothesis.

This is not a full lock grappling technique where your enemies actions are totally restricted.
Ok. Let's say that. But then where is a full lock grappling technique? Or you want to say it doesn't exist?

casting a spell just confirms with a friendly reminder that the general options are still available in the "pin" state.
It isn't "a friendly reminder" it is "the existence of an exception confirms the existence of the rule".

Sadly, "Skip" seems to have the false impression what RAW is dictating here.
Do you know how D&D 3.5 should work better than Skip Williams? It's... arrogantly.

Cold fire was just to showcase that you can produce fire at nearly any temperature. There are still limits like the freezing point. But the argument was intended to show that any temperature is possible. We assume that on first contact (when the fire is still fully exposed to Oxygen to fuel its reaction) the fire is at the hottest state and just enough to damage you. But constant contact extinguishes the flames locally temporarily enough to prevent further damage. While a punch or headbutt will cause new/additional body parts to come into contact.
Yes, you can use imagination and explain why it's harmless to hug fire elemental. Fact you need use imagination so hardly for explaining this exactly means this rule is dysfunctional.

Bucky
2022-07-18, 01:02 PM
Is that an additional, more general dysfunction, then? "Being grappled and pinned fails to prevent most actions?"

loky1109
2022-07-18, 05:48 PM
Is that an additional, more general dysfunction, then? "Being grappled and pinned fails to prevent most actions?"

This is dysfunctional reading, not dysfunctional rule.

ShurikVch
2022-07-18, 05:51 PM
Second. Aragorn's pant. J. R. R. Tolkien newer said that Aragorn wore pant. Does it mean that Aragorn walk around parading his reproductive organs or we should use default idea that men wear pants?
Minute of historic facts: ancient Romans considered pants a "barbaric clothes", and - indeed - wore no pants.
Medieval Europeans inherited this sentiment: chausses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chausses) were, in fact, stockings - not pants.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Villard_de_Honnecourt.jpg/231px-Villard_de_Honnecourt.jpg

Now, since Lord of the Rings was made to look - more or less - like a medieval Europe, then should Aragorn really wear pants?

At the very least, he didn't - in the Ralph Bakshi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978_film))'s version:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/dl46K.jpg
https://64.media.tumblr.com/6b7e9c6f0cd89f9c0ad9cbfccd2e3dc5/24e29a801880622c-e0/s250x400/89c6db148141c7c64a61e6c697e1e3cac89ce9d0.pnj
https://64.media.tumblr.com/10fb5007fea2538c6a7c3a53431a312c/24e29a801880622c-cb/s400x600/2adc3e8bb42bca4ddf7e2616de8b754d19bf82e0.pnj

St Fan
2022-07-19, 03:42 PM
From the Player's Handbook II:

A fighter can select Ki Blast as one of his fighter bonus feats. A monk with the Stunning Fist feat can select Ki Blast as her bonus feat at 8th level, as long as she possesses the Fiery Fist feat and a base attack bonus of +6 (other prerequisites can be ignored).

Problem is, a monk doesn't get a bonus feat at 8th level; it happens at 6th level.

At first I just thought it was a typo, and they meant 6th level... except it goes on and specify you also need a BAB+6, which a 6th level monk with a normal progression doesn't get at 6th level, but indeed at 8th level, so it looks like there's no mistake...

Thus a monk has no choice but to take the feat a 8th level, but doesn't get a bonus feat at 8th level... color me confused!

(Note that it matter much considering Ki Blast is crap, but still...)

Jervis
2022-07-19, 03:52 PM
From the Player's Handbook II:

Problem is, a monk doesn't get a bonus feat at 8th level; it happens at 6th level.

At first I just thought it was a typo, and they meant 6th level... except it goes on and specify you also need a BAB+6, which a 6th level monk with a normal progression doesn't get at 6th level, but indeed at 8th level, so it looks like there's no mistake...

Thus a monk has no choice but to take the feat a 8th level, but doesn't get a bonus feat at 8th level... color me confused!

(Note that it matter much considering Ki Blast is crap, but still...)

note that text beats table so that means monks get a 8th level bonus feat!

ShurikVch
2022-07-19, 04:17 PM
note that text beats table so that means monks get a 8th level bonus feat!
But only if the bonus feat is Ki Blast! :smallamused:

loky1109
2022-07-19, 04:38 PM

PHBII had introduced retrain. Maybe it's a nod to it?

But only if the bonus feat is Ki Blast! :smallamused:

Or Fiery Ki Defense. It has the same text.

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-19, 09:37 PM
Can't agree with you. For me it looks exactly as full available list (plus casting a spell as special exception) of "attack replacement" actions available for pinned creature.
and which part of the text indicates this for you? If you can't point it out, it sole your imagination (no offense here, but my brain needs to confirm it, otherwise it won't believe you ;)

By that logic, you can use this option being pinned:

Escape from Grapple
You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action. If more than one opponent is grappling you, your grapple check result has to beat all their individual check results to escape. (Opponents don’t have to try to hold you if they don’t want to.) If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s).

and this:

Pin Your Opponent
You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack). Once you have an opponent pinned, you have a few options available to you (see below).

Regarding the "Escape from Grapple"

On your turn, you can try to escape the pin by making an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action. If you win, you escape the pin, but you’re still grappling.
We have specific rules that trump the general rules for escape from grapple.

Regading "Pin Your Opponent":
It's the same debate as in "can you trip someone who is already tripped?". And after 20 years of discussions, imho most people are on the "No you can't trip someone who is already tripped"-side. As such, you can't pin someone even further then he is already "pinned". That is by logic not possible. It's like saying "I stand up, while already standing". You can't further stand up than normal. So pls, lets skip this nonsense. It won't make anyone happy and it won't bring any meaningful results.

I think it exactly is. And should be. Yes, wording is slightly poor and ambiguous, but there are nothing against my interpretation.

Do you know how D&D 3.5 should work better than Skip Williams? It's... arrogantly.

Imho, if we ask how realistic the implementation of grappling into 3.5 is, we have to admit that it is far from perfect. It tries to give some oversimplified rules for a fluent gameplay.

What we have is:
- rules for standing grappling (standing as in the 3.5 rules)
- rules for grounded grappling (grounded as in the 3.5 rules)

The question or problem is, which kind of grounded grappling this is. Is it:
(a) just both grappler at the ground, both in equal good/bad position.
(b) both grapplers at the ground and one has the upper hand
(c) both grapplers are at the ground, but one has a "full lock" on the other.

I can see why the "full lock" option (c) is appealing and why even Skip Williams seems be believe in it. So you have an argument for RAI as said. But RAW speak another language here. RAW sole adds options and restrict some, but not all other options.
So imho, the "pin" state is best reflected by option (b), that one grappler has the upper hand, which alters the options slightly (and doesn't exchanges em completely).

If you disagree, point me to the text phrase where you are basing of your interpretation please.

loky1109
2022-07-19, 11:20 PM
and which part of the text indicates this for you?
Already did it. At least two times.

Regarding the "Escape from Grapple"

We have specific rules that trump the general rules for escape from grapple.
No. "Escape from Grapple" and "Escape the Pin" are different actions. Very similar, but clearly different. Or you have some part of the text indicates opposite for you?

It's the same debate as in "can you trip someone who is already tripped?".
What? Really, what??? Are you serious now?

As such, you can't pin someone even further then he is already "pinned".
You even didn't try to read carefully and understand my point, did you?

We are talking about actions available for PINNED creature. Not one who pins, but one who is pinned.

What we have is:
- rules for standing grappling (standing as in the 3.5 rules)
- rules for grounded grappling (grounded as in the 3.5 rules)
There isn't different rules for standing and grounded grappling in D&D 3.5. Or you have some part of the text indicates opposite for you?

The question or problem is, which kind of grounded grappling this is. Is it:
(a) just both grappler at the ground, both in equal good/bad position.
(b) both grapplers at the ground and one has the upper hand
(c) both grapplers are at the ground, but one has a "full lock" on the other.
"At the ground" is an unnecessary substance. There are no differences between "full lock" at the ground and "full lock" while standing. Both are the same pin.

But RAW speak another language here.
Rules about grapple and pin are poor written and can be interpreted in two ways. RAW is ambiguous here. Not "RAW sole adds options and restrict some, but not all other options" is clear and only possible reading. You for some reason like this interpretation and want to think it is sole true, but you are wrong.
And while we have ambiguous wording we should use RAI. Especially since RAI is pretty clear stated by one of game designers.

If you disagree, point me to the text phrase where you are basing of your interpretation please.
I gave you all you need, but I can't make you drink.

St Fan
2022-07-21, 12:34 PM
Minute of historic facts: ancient Romans considered pants a "barbaric clothes", and - indeed - wore no pants.
Medieval Europeans inherited this sentiment: chausses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chausses) were, in fact, stockings - not pants.

Wait a minute... could that be the explanation for the lack of a "pants" magic item slot?

loky1109
2022-07-21, 12:59 PM
Wait a minute... could that be the explanation for the lack of a "pants" magic item slot?

Stop! It isn't Functional Rules thread!

St Fan
2022-07-22, 11:09 AM
Stop! It isn't Functional Rules thread!

Yeah, I guess making too much sense is entirely against the mood of the thread...

Okay, this one I don't know if it counts as a dysfunctional rule, or just as false advertising...

A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items.

The bold part is indeed true... if you dismiss entirely the spells aerial alacrity, battletide, enhance familiar, haste, nature's avatar, swift haste, unmovable object and visions of the future.

AsuraKyoko
2022-07-22, 02:41 PM
I'm honestly surprised that only 8 spells break the dodge bonus rule. (And I'm a bit amused that one of them is in the Player's Handbook, no less)

ShurikVch
2022-07-23, 04:29 AM
Animus template (Dragon #339):

Feats: An animus gain Alertness, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats, assuming it meets the prerequisites and it doesn't already have these feats.
Now: Alertness (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#alertness); Improved Initiative (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedInitiative); Lightning Reflexes (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#lightningReflexes)... :smallconfused: Gee, what "prerequisites"?

St Fan
2022-07-23, 08:32 AM
I'm honestly surprised that only 8 spells break the dodge bonus rule. (And I'm a bit amused that one of them is in the Player's Handbook, no less)

Well, on a technicality, you can add the spells heroics and mirror move to the list, since they can give a dodge bonus indirectly by granting feats such as Dodge or Combat Expertise.

Jervis
2022-07-23, 03:32 PM

Now: Alertness (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#alertness); Improved Initiative (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedInitiative); Lightning Reflexes (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#lightningReflexes)... :smallconfused: Gee, what "prerequisites"?

In their defense this is likely a case of copy pasting or something.

Bucky
2022-08-01, 09:35 PM
As a tangent from this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?648344-Craft-Artifact-Does-nothing), the Craft Artifact divine salient ability lets its holder create various magic items, but fails to specify that the items made with it are artifacts as opposed to normal magic items that happen to exceed the regular crafting limits.

3.5e, obviously

Malphegor
2022-08-03, 04:45 AM
So far I noticed:

there’s a lot of 2e in arms and equipment guide, there’s a big chunk of its item lists that’s the sfw sections of aurora’s whole realms catalogue. Which is a shame with some of the interesting bits being missing as I feel 3e could benefit from knowing the price of a elf dress versus a human dress

St Fan
2022-08-09, 06:07 PM
This one may have been already mentioned; at least I'm sure it was discussed on this forum, although maybe not in this thread.

The spell arcane spellsurge reduces casting time of arcane spells. For example, a "standard action" casting time becomes a swift action.

It cannot be ignored, though, thus it specifies that you can't cast two spells which casting times were both reduced to a swift action, because you can't use two swift actions in a round.

Except... you CAN uses two swift actions in a round. It's called "Readying an Action". With a standard action, you can ready a standard, move, swift or free action. And of course, the readying condition can be "immediately".

(Note that the original rules about readying an action don't mention the swift action, but that's only because they were introduced later in the game. The Rule Compendium clarifies that swift actions are covered by the Ready rules.)

Hence, the affirmation made by arcane spellsurge is blatantly false.

Biggus
2022-08-09, 10:10 PM
Okay, this one I don't know if it counts as a dysfunctional rule, or just as false advertising...

The bold part is indeed true... if you dismiss entirely the spells aerial alacrity, battletide, enhance familiar, haste, nature's avatar, swift haste, unmovable object and visions of the future.

That's actually a dysfunction in the SRD, not the rules. The rules said no dodge bonuses from magic in 3.0, in 3.5 they say:

Spells and magic items occasionally grant dodge bonuses

Tohron
2022-08-10, 11:32 AM
That's actually a dysfunction in the SRD, not the rules. The rules said no dodge bonuses from magic in 3.0, in 3.5 they say: "Spells and magic items occasionally grant dodge bonuses"

So, then it would be rules-legal in 3.5 to create a magic item giving a +6 dodge bonus to Will saves?

InvisibleBison
2022-08-10, 11:42 AM
So, then it would be rules-legal in 3.5 to create a magic item giving a +6 dodge bonus to Will saves?

If you can convince your DM to let you do so, then yes.

tyckspoon
2022-08-10, 11:47 AM

If you're convincing your DM to let you make custom items already anyways, sure. It'd be -weird- but there isn't anything that would contradict it working; bonus types really only 'usually' apply to certain things.

Bucky
2022-08-10, 01:20 PM
On the DM end, I might allow a one-off Dodge bonus to saving throws, particularly Reflex. Not more than once per campaign, though.

AsuraKyoko
2022-08-10, 03:08 PM
On the DM end, I might allow a one-off Dodge bonus to saving throws, particularly Reflex. Not more than once per campaign, though.

Reflex saves are one of the things Dodge bonuses are supposed to apply to normally, iirc.

Bucky
2022-08-10, 04:12 PM
You are correct, dodge bonuses to reflex saves are specifically called out as valid. The haste spell and whirling frenzy barbarian both give dodge bonuses to reflex saves.

Dodge bonuses to Will or Fort saves are what I might allow once per campaign.

Seward
2022-08-12, 11:43 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned in one of these threads before, but the -2 sword being awesome will always be a favorite of mine.

Back in 1st edition I had a local bandit leader called the "Cursed Bandit". His schtick was to infiltrate caravans as an ordinary, unarmed person then ambush the leadership or guards in cursed fullplate and cursed sword, just before his minions ambushed. Sure both weapon and armor were -1 and might shatter under rare circumstances, but were a lot better than fighting unarmed and he usually started in some situation when he was at a major advantage (target is sleeping, bathing, etc - if he was the appropriate gender preference he might try an "intimate" meeting with them).

His goal was to acquire more such items so he could infiltrate with a squad but the PC's put him down. His Lieutenants tended to be equipped with magical loot scrapings from the bottom of the magic-mart barrel - +1 scale armor or shortsword +1/+4 vs lizards. He had ties with merchants that bought the crap found in dungeons that no PC ever wanted to use. Some items had in fact been recently sold by PCs, which also exposed his merchant contacts much to the displeasure of local law enforcement and their fellow merchants.

ShurikVch
2022-08-24, 12:44 PM
Enforcers gain a +1 bonus to their leadership score, although the maximum number and level of their followers and cohorts remains standard.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but what other use there for the Leadership score, if not for the level and number of cohort and followers?

Also, don't know if it was already mentioned, but:

A humanoid or monstrous humanoid who dons the admiral’s bicorne gains a +5 bonus on Profession (sailor) checks and all Charisma-based checks (including Leadership) as long as it is worn.
Leadership (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#leadership) is not a check...

tyckspoon
2022-08-24, 02:17 PM
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but what other use there for the Leadership score, if not for the level and number of cohort and followers?

This would be a Practiced Spellcaster type of effect - if your Leadership score isn't high enough to attract the maximum level of cohort you are otherwise entitled to (for example say you have a low or even negative Charisma modifer, maybe have the penalties for 'moves around a lot' and getting a previous cohort killed so your basic score no longer gets your cohort to level cap) then this bonus can catch you up. Functional rule, just limited in application as the kinds of characters that typically take Leadership won't often need that benefit.

ShurikVch
2022-08-24, 02:35 PM
This would be a Practiced Spellcaster type of effect - if your Leadership score isn't high enough to attract the maximum level of cohort you are otherwise entitled to (for example say you have a low or even negative Charisma modifer, maybe have the penalties for 'moves around a lot' and getting a previous cohort killed so your basic score no longer gets your cohort to level cap) then this bonus can catch you up. Functional rule, just limited in application as the kinds of characters that typically take Leadership won't often need that benefit.
Excuse me, but even with penalty - wouldn't this +1 still increase the "maximum number and level of their followers and cohorts"?.. But "maximum ... remains standard"... :smallconfused:

tyckspoon
2022-08-24, 02:45 PM
Well, cohort level is affected by both the character's level and their Leadership score - you get the lower of what is permitted by your leadership score, or (Level -2.) If you Leadership score is too low you may not be able to get the maximum level cohort you otherwise would have (but if you have a long-term cohort you've probably leveled them up by their own XP gain rather than trying to attract a new one at base level anyways.)

For followers, yeah, it would appear to do absolutely nothing, as those have no other limit other than the one given by the chart and the ability explicitly does not count for that. :shrug: Like I said, it works.. just what it works on is a very niche and small scope.

Inevitability
2022-08-25, 02:27 AM
Leadership (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#leadership) is not a check...

The interesting bit is that there's at least one other place in the books that refers to 'leadership checks'

You can grossly violate your deities code of conduct, but not your class alignment restriction, without risk of loss of spells or class abilities. If you are a cleric, your alignment may be 2 steps away from your respective deity's alignment instead of just one. (in other words you can violate your deity's alignment restrictions 1 extra step.) You can gain levels without atoning (see the atonement spell description). However, you are in no way exempt from excommunication, or immune to divine retribution from your deity or his servants. In fact your actions invite the highest levels of scrutiny. If you have access to domains, you can exchange any one domain you have with another domain outside those normally available to your faith. The new domain must be consistent with the tenets of your heresy (as adjudicated by th DM). Likewise you can exchange your favored weapon and weapon of the deity (Mag) spell effect for another consistent with the tenents of your heresy (as adjudicated by the DM). Taking this feat automatically prompts a leadership check. All cohorts or followers who are members of your faith either agree to your heresy or are lost. Moreover upon your death you are judged one of the false (P 250 FRCS) unless your deity specifically intervenes on your behalf with Kelemvor. Without the use of the Miracle or wish spell, this does not happen unless your heresies are adopted by the deity and the faith as a whole. It is theoretically possible that such intervention could occur long after your death, but such cases are vanishingly rare.

Note how there's no mention of a DC, or even what exactly the check is.

ShurikVch
2022-08-25, 04:04 AM
Well, cohort level is affected by both the character's level and their Leadership score - you get the lower of what is permitted by your leadership score, or (Level -2.) If you Leadership score is too low you may not be able to get the maximum level cohort you otherwise would have (but if you have a long-term cohort you've probably leveled them up by their own XP gain rather than trying to attract a new one at base level anyways.)

For followers, yeah, it would appear to do absolutely nothing, as those have no other limit other than the one given by the chart and the ability explicitly does not count for that. :shrug: Like I said, it works.. just what it works on is a very niche and small scope.
Thus, it falls to the definition of what, exactly, is "maximum level cohort"...
OK, "dysfunction by specific reading" - not a valid dysfunction

The interesting bit is that there's at least one other place in the books that refers to 'leadership checks'

Note how there's no mention of a DC, or even what exactly the check is.
Chalk it to the "authors don't know how their own rules work" :smallamused: (like "Armored Uncanny Dodge", "Tumbler's Breastplate", etc)

Monarch Dodora
2022-09-17, 07:01 AM
Another dysfunctional spell: Hibernate, from Frostburn. It claims to 'put a creature in suspended animation for weeks at a time', but when it lists out what this 'suspension of life functions' actually does, all it mentions is: automatically stabilizes a dying creature, saves starving or dehydrated creatures from death, and slows natural healing to 1hp/week. Nothing at all about loss of consciousness or inability to take actions. And it lasts 1 week per CL.

Jervis
2022-09-17, 01:49 PM
It really does shock me sometimes how literally unusable some things in this game are since the writers didn’t know there own rules. Leadership checks are one of those things that don’t make sense at all as far as I can tell

St Fan
2022-09-20, 05:05 AM
One thing that may not be really dysfunctional, but always struck me as odd, is the "[creature] affinity" part of the Bloodline rules.

It gives a bonus (+2, +4 or +6) to some interpersonal skill checks (Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Perform) when interacting with the specific creatures from which a character with a bloodline is related.

My problem is... character with a hybrid template doesn't get any such bonus (for example, a half-dragon doesn't have a +6 or +8 bonus on these skills with true dragons). And I would assume the bloodline is much more diluted with the basic bloodline rules.

Nor full-blooded creatures get a +8 or +10 bonus on these skills with member of their own race. Maybe they should, but with the current rules, that's nowhere the case.

So, what makes character with a diluted bloodline so much more attractive/efficient with their remote relatives?

Thurbane
2022-09-26, 06:00 PM

In their defense this is likely a case of copy pasting or something.

Yeah it's pretty much copied from the Vampire template (although in this case, Dodge does have a req):

Vampires gain Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.

Inevitability
2022-10-05, 05:38 AM
Decipher Script checks are made secretly:

Both the Decipher Script check and (if necessary) the Wisdom check are made secretly, so that you can’t tell whether the conclusion you draw is true or false.

So are forgery checks:

The Forgery check is made secretly, so that you’re not sure how good your forgery is.

This makes the Quill of Sivis feat, which grants you the ability to reroll a Decipher Script or Forgery check 1/day... somewhat pointless. It has different benefits too, but still!

Morphic tide
2022-10-20, 07:04 PM
Arcane Spell Failure only applies to spells with Somatic components, and is the only constraint affected by Armored Mage. Heavy shields prevent you from using that hand for material or somatic components independently of ASF. Arcane Channeling requires a weapon to deliver the attack. Consequently, the only conditions where the Duskblade's 7th-level improvement of Armored Mage applies to their Arcane Channeling is if they are doing it with a Shield Bash, an Unarmed Strike, a book-dived probably-Exotic hands-free weapon, or have more than two arms.

Nikker
2022-10-20, 08:01 PM
Forgive me if any of these had already be mentioned, but I'm very fond of positive/negative energy nonsense, such as:
- Undead technically - RAW - not taking damage on the Positive Energy plane (it gives fast healing, and undead can have fast healing too), although anyone in their right mind would know it's implicit that it's positive-energy-based fast healing, and that it should deal harm to undead.
- Undead technically not gaining any healing by the fact of being on the negative energy plane (negative energy plane imposed negative levels, to which they're immune, but they gain nothing from it; also, a minor negative energy trait will damage living creatures' HPs, but it says nothing about healing undead)

And, loosely related:
Vivacious Creature template, stating that the vivacious creature is incorporeal thus it has no Str score, while at the same time stating that if the creature wants to suppress its Positive Energy Aura, the creature will take 1 point of Str damage for each full minute that the aura is inactive.

GreatWyrmGold
2022-10-21, 12:22 AM
The lycanthrope template does not add any of the base animal's subtypes to the base creature, and no mention is made of those subtypes applying in hybrid or animal form. 90% of animals don't have subtypes, and templates which add subtypes would generally change the animal's type to something other than animal, so this usually doesn't matter.

The (aquatic) subtype designates creatures that can breathe water, but not air, such as fish and cephalopods. This ability is tied to the subtype, rather than a special quality or something; if a creature somehow lost its (aquatic) subtype, it would no longer be able to breathe water.

Weresharks drown.

Inevitability
2022-10-21, 02:39 AM
The lycanthrope template does not add any of the base animal's subtypes to the base creature, and no mention is made of those subtypes applying in hybrid or animal form. 90% of animals don't have subtypes, and templates which add subtypes would generally change the animal's type to something other than animal, so this usually doesn't matter.

The (aquatic) subtype designates creatures that can breathe water, but not air, such as fish and cephalopods. This ability is tied to the subtype, rather than a special quality or something; if a creature somehow lost its (aquatic) subtype, it would no longer be able to breathe water.

Weresharks drown.

How often would a wereshark curse a human to begin with? I'd expect them to stick to aquatic elves and sahuagin...

loky1109
2022-10-21, 03:11 AM
How often would a wereshark curse a human to begin with? I'd expect them to stick to aquatic elves and sahuagin...
Sahuagins are monstrous humanoid.
Asking on your question, I think it happens often enough. It's far more easy to bite human than aquatic elf.

Inevitability
2022-10-21, 03:13 AM
Sahuagins are monstrous humanoid.
Asking on your question, I think it happens often enough. It's far more easy to bite human than aquatic elf.

Oh huh, I completely forgot monstrous humanoids can't become lycanthropes. Giants being valid (on that note, has anyone ever used lycanthropic giants?) threw me off.

loky1109
2022-10-21, 03:18 AM
Oh huh, I completely forgot monstrous humanoids can't become lycanthropes. Giants being valid (on that note, has anyone ever used lycanthropic giants?) threw me off.
I used weregoat ettin as random encounter once. )

GreatWyrmGold
2022-10-21, 08:14 AM
I expect weresharks would bite anyone who wound up in the water. And while aquatic elves are always in the water, there are a lot more air-breathers, and some of them are sailors.

I wouldn't expect there to be a ton of air-breathing weresharks, but I also wouldn't expect there to be a ton of weresharks period.

Pathfinder has rules for siege towers. It describes them as having a bottom section for pushing the tower and a roof section as a fighting position. The siege towers supposedly help scale adjacent walls. But the dysfunction is that the written description notably lacks any built-in features like stairs, trapdoors or ladders, or any way to get people into the roof section that's easier than simply climbing the wall.
On one hand, the designers definitely intended there to be some easy way to the top. On the other hand, siege towers like this still have some use; you can climb up out of enemy arrow-range. Sure, you can only get a few people onto the tower, but historically siege towers were used to get high ground for archers more often than they were used for escalade.

It's not not dysfunctional, but it's less dysfunctional than it seems! (And it's a decent excuse to point out fun historical trivia.)

Stormwrack's dark tide spell has issues. First, there's the already known type of dysfunction that its area can be considerably larger than its range. Area and range are matched at CL 56 if you center the spell on yourself. Second, well ... It's a Necromancy spell, so what the designers probably intended was changing existing water with negative energy. But that's not what they wrote. Instead, they describe what's clearly a Conjuration effect that creates a mile-wide sphere of water. (Rough sphere, depending on obstacles -- the area is a spread.) The text says "creating a tide of blackwater that spreads out ... until it fills the entire area."

Even constrained by the spell's Long range, that's a lot of BFC, and it's hard for casters to overcome because if you're casting with V components then you're not holding your breath. It's also a lot of drowning death when used against mundane cities or armies. Or death by pressure and hypothermia from the normal rules for deep and cold water, take your pick.

So, eh, it's a weak dysfunction, just "this spell is in the wrong school". I mostly wanted to highlight another piece of unintended RAW silliness.

It says it creates a tide. A tide is a movement, not a substance.
Let's check the source!

You infuse the target area with the enervating essence of the blackwater depths, creating a tide of blackwater that spreads out from the designated point of origin at a rate of 100 feet per round until it fills the entire area.

On one hand, there's a pretty good argument to be made that "creating a tide" doesn't involve creating new water. On the other hand, "tide" is often used to refer to certain quantities of water rather than just movements of water (most unambiguously, tide pools), so there's an argument to be made that it creates more water to fill the sphere. I wouldn't accept it at my table, but this thread is about RAW, not RAI, and there's a RAW argument.

What's not arguable, however, is that this spell was intended to conjure half a trillion gallons of water. That kind of apocalyptic effect is reserved for 9th-level spells, and if a spell is intended to drown air-breathing casters, it would mention something about that. It's obviously intended to turn existing water into blackwater, so an interpretation that turns it into a mass-water-conjuration effect is dysfunctional.

They're useful if you want to make a were-elephant or something. Or you could ignore that rule about the base creature and base animal needing to be almost the same size.

Metastachydium
2022-10-21, 09:28 AM
I used weregoat ettin as random encounter once. )

They're useful if you want to make a were-elephant or something. Or you could ignore that rule about the base creature and base animal needing to be almost the same size.

In actual fact, the base animal must be a predator, scavenger or omnivore and although the former are infamous for their ability to eat anything, technically speaking, neither goats, nor elephants qualify on account of being herbivores. Huge(+) animals that are eligible include big snakes, some dinosaurs, orcas, cachalot whales, giant crocodiles and the like.

GreatWyrmGold
2022-10-21, 10:16 AM
In actual fact, the base animal must be a predator, scavenger or omnivore and although the former are infamous for their ability to eat anything, technically speaking, neither goats, nor elephants qualify on account of being herbivores.
Oh yeah. Man, there are some dumb restrictions on lycanthropy.

ShurikVch
2022-10-21, 02:55 PM
In actual fact, the base animal must be a predator, scavenger or omnivore
Oriental Adventures includes, among other monsters, Myin-Kawei, which is... Werehorse
Also, Weresheep flaw

RSGA
2022-10-23, 10:00 AM
Arcane Spell Failure only applies to spells with Somatic components, and is the only constraint affected by Armored Mage. Heavy shields prevent you from using that hand for material or somatic components independently of ASF. Arcane Channeling requires a weapon to deliver the attack. Consequently, the only conditions where the Duskblade's 7th-level improvement of Armored Mage applies to their Arcane Channeling is if they are doing it with a Shield Bash, an Unarmed Strike, a book-dived probably-Exotic hands-free weapon, or have more than two arms.

Wouldn't it also apply if the Duskblade has an Animated heavy shield since Animated notes that while you have a free hand to use you still take penalties associated with use and lists ASF? This is both a big and a small circumstance to me.

St Fan
2022-10-31, 06:01 PM
I certainly mentioned this already, but I'm not sure it was in such a thread... anyway:

The Cerebral Hood symbiont from the Fiend Folio covers the face of its host facehugger-style and insert its tail inside the throat. Among other benefit, this symbiont makes the host immune to gas, including inhaled poison and disease, since it is basically breathing in his stead...

Just a little problem with that: the Cerebral Hood is an aberration, thus a living being, and nowhere it is stated to be immune to gas or poisons itself. Hence, if you're trying to use it to protect yourself from a toxic environment, the rather weak symbiont is going to die sooner or later, leaving then the host to fend for himself.

Venger
2022-11-01, 10:46 PM
In actual fact, the base animal must be a predator, scavenger or omnivore and although the former are infamous for their ability to eat anything, technically speaking, neither goats, nor elephants qualify on account of being herbivores. Huge(+) animals that are eligible include big snakes, some dinosaurs, orcas, cachalot whales, giant crocodiles and the like.

If you had a mind for a nontraditional lycanthrope, the division between herbivores and carnivores (https://slate.com/technology/2012/11/deer-eat-meat-herbivores-and-carnivores-are-not-so-clearly-divided.html) is not as binary as most laypeople think. Goats, elephants, deer, cows, etc can and do eat anything that's small, weak, and slow enough for them to catch on occasion.

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-02, 10:35 AM
If you had a mind for a nontraditional lycanthrope, the division between herbivores and carnivores (https://slate.com/technology/2012/11/deer-eat-meat-herbivores-and-carnivores-are-not-so-clearly-divided.html) is not as binary as most laypeople think. Goats, elephants, deer, cows, etc can and do eat anything that's small, weak, and slow enough for them to catch on occasion.
On one hand, yes, basically every "herbivore" is technically an omnivore. On the other hand, the fact that the rulebook distinguishes "predator, scavenger, or omnivore" as separate categories from "animal" indicates that it's using a broader, more colloquial definition of "omnivore," one that covers boars and bears but not every grazing animal on the planet.

Just be honest and say you're breaking the dumb rule.

loky1109
2022-11-02, 11:55 AM
I think it's some sort of natural selection. To spread out lycanthrope should be able to reproduce itself. They reproduce via infection through saliva-blood way. Base animal should be able to do so behaviorally. For example horses bite humans often, elephants... I don't think so.

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-02, 01:23 PM
1.) Plenty of herbivorous animals bite, and plenty of scavengers only bite dead animals. (Undead werevultures arising from corpses bitten by werevultures would be cool, but that's not how the rules work.)

2.) If that was the idea, wouldn't it make sense to restrict the base animal to creatures with bite attacks, rather than by diet? Not perfect, but it's a closer approximation. I'm pretty sure it's just a genre thing; werewolves and wererats are scary/creepy in a way wererabbits and werecows aren't.

ShurikVch
2022-11-10, 04:29 PM
Harper Paragon PrC (Player's Guide to Faerûn) got Aura of Good class feature:

The power of the character’s aura of good is equal to her Harper paragon level. If she has the aura of good ability from another class, levels of that class stack with her Harper paragon levels for the purpose of this ability.
The problem there is: among the prerequisites for this PrC are

Feats: Sacred Vow (Book of Exalted Deeds), Vow of Obedience (Book of Exalted Deeds).
Both Sacred Vow and Vow of Obedience are [exalted] feats, and

A character with at least one exalted feat radiates an aura of good with a power equal to her character level (see the detect good spell), as if she were a paladin or a cleric of a good deity
Thus - not just this class trying to give the character something which they would already have just from the prerequisites, but even shortchanging at doing it (because "Character level" > "Class level")

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-10, 04:49 PM
By RAW, that just makes a Harper Paragon with non-paladin/cleric/HarPar levels slightly harder to detect with detect good. It's dysfunctional, but it's not as consequential a dysfunction as you're describing.

ShurikVch
2022-11-10, 05:25 PM
By RAW, that just makes a Harper Paragon with non-paladin/cleric/HarPar levels slightly harder to detect with detect good. It's dysfunctional, but it's not as consequential a dysfunction as you're describing.
So, you think it actively reducing the strength of existing Aura of Good?
Are you sure?
I mean - if it's from the feats rather than class features...

Noticed: Aura of Good as class feature required for Triadic Knight PrC.
I thought it could be a niche use for HarPar's Aura of Good - but then noticed it also required Initiate of Ilmater, Torm, or Tyr - all of which are available only to clerics or paladins...
Is Aura of Good CF a redundant prerequisite there?

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-11, 05:56 PM
So, you think it actively reducing the strength of existing Aura of Good?
Are you sure?
I mean - if it's from the feats rather than class features...

AFAIK, there isn't a specific ruling on how multiple rules that change how your alignment auras interact, because there aren't a lot of rules like that. But since Harper Paragon's modification comes from a class feature an exalted feats' from a general rule covering several feats, and since the Harper Paragon requires exalted feats to enter, it feels like HP's class feature is more specific than the exalted feat rules, and specific trumps generic.

ShurikVch
2022-11-11, 06:06 PM
AFAIK, there isn't a specific ruling on how multiple rules that change how your alignment auras interact, because there aren't a lot of rules like that. But since Harper Paragon's modification comes from a class feature an exalted feats' from a general rule covering several feats, and since the Harper Paragon requires exalted feats to enter, it feels like HP's class feature is more specific than the exalted feat rules, and specific trumps generic.
I mean:
HarPar AoG = class levels + levels in any other classes which give AoG
Exalted feat AoG = levels in any classes, period

For me, it looks like HarPar gives AoG - rather than sets it

I mean: if they really wanted for HarPar to reduce the existing AoG intensity - they kinda should be more direct about it

Personally, I'm sure they just forgot [exalted] feats give AoG too...

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-11, 09:33 PM
Obviously, but this isn't a thread for dysfunctional intent, but for dysfunctional rules. And I don't think there's any distinction between "giving" and "setting" an aura.

It sounds like you're saying that detect good (and similar spells) detects the strongest aura provided by various features a character has, which suggests that features that give a character no alignment aura would do nothing, since there's still a positive aura to detect. I feel that this interpretation is in error, and not just because it makes this one example ridiculous. Characters don't have "multiple alignment auras"; they have abilities which influence how one specific spell (and derivative effects) responds to them.

Venger
2022-11-13, 02:11 AM
Sword of conscience deals variable amounts of wis and cha damage to evil creatures. Like other spells keyed off detect evil, it has a chart that inflicts more damage to certain types of creatures. Footnote 1 says elementals, undead, and outsiders have their own entry on the table. Undead do not have their own entry on the table. So they just take the small amount of damage like any other generic evil creature.

Frostmoon
2022-11-13, 02:19 AM
Sword of conscience deals variable amounts of wis and cha damage to evil creatures. Like other spells keyed off detect evil, it has a chart that inflicts more damage to certain types of creatures. Footnote 1 says elementals, undead, and outsiders have their own entry on the table. Undead do not have their own entry on the table. So they just take the small amount of damage like any other generic evil creature.

I don't think that's exactly right: undead actually are listed in the table, they're just listed with elementals, for some unknown reason. Under the "Evil Elemental" section of the table, the 1d6 damage bar lists "2 or lower or undead", which means...I guess undead always take 1d6? Maybe? Or they count as elementals for this, and they scale the same way...? BoED is weird.

Venger
2022-11-13, 02:58 AM
Oh hey you're right.

You know what I think it is? I think "or undead (HD)" was actually supposed to be left aligned under "evil elemental," which is why there's that huge gap of white space underneath it but they screwed up and put it under "2 or lower" instead. I believe the intent was probably for undead to take damage like evil elementals. Still a little weird.

GreatWyrmGold
2022-11-13, 07:30 PM
Another thing about that spell:

The creature regains lost abilities normally; they do not automatically return when the spell's duration expires.

The duration is Instantaneous. Does the author of that clause think fireball damage reverts when the spell's duration expires, or was there some weird chain of edits which involved a stage where this was a reasonable thing to specify?

Venger
2022-11-13, 10:36 PM
I think the writer was probably thinking of penalties and didn't understand it was discrete from damage.

Inevitability
2022-11-14, 02:47 AM
Sometimes the rules state what the rules already state, and BoED was in a period of change from 3.0 to 3.5: I can totally understand putting a redundant rule in there for clarity and to make sure it holds up to potential reworkings of ability damage.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-11-14, 04:29 AM
Oh hey you're right.

You know what I think it is? I think "or undead (HD)" was actually supposed to be left aligned under "evil elemental," which is why there's that huge gap of white space underneath it but they screwed up and put it under "2 or lower" instead. I believe the intent was probably for undead to take damage like evil elementals. Still a little weird.

Agreed. Even more probable considering this is basically the same table as Detect Evil, only with Evil Elemental added in the second line. Up to the "Some characters who are not clerics may radiate an aura of equivalent power. The class description will indicate whether this applies." which makes not much sense in this case but probably indicates that paladins get damaged as much as clerics, and that the spell is supposed to run on aura strength. 2d8 Wisdom to a paladin might very well render them insane.

ShurikVch
2022-11-21, 12:35 PM
It's, technically, possible to scribe a scroll of a Dread Word spell (Book of Vile Darkness).

The caster speaks a single unique word of pure malevolence - a powerful utterance from the Dark Speech (see Chapter 2).

The Dark Speech has no written form. It cannot be transliterated into another language's written form without losing all of its meaning and power.

The same problem arise when Spellhoarding Dragon uses their Spellcatching SQ on a Baleful Utterance invocation to add it to their Spellhoard. (DM can invoke the "can't counterspell SLA" clause - but it's dysfunctional in its own right)

Inevitability
2022-11-21, 02:21 PM
It's, technically, possible to scribe a scroll of a Dread Word spell (Book of Vile Darkness).

Even if a spell scroll is a full description of the somatic and verbal components of a spell (dubious assumption), ultimately the Dark Speech still has phonemes, right? "Make these specific sounds in this order" should work as a description of the verbal component, it's not a transliteration because it doesn't try to preserve meaning.

ShurikVch
2022-11-23, 03:32 AM
Even if a spell scroll is a full description of the somatic and verbal components of a spell (dubious assumption), ultimately the Dark Speech still has phonemes, right? "Make these specific sounds in this order" should work as a description of the verbal component, it's not a transliteration because it doesn't try to preserve meaning.
Well, firstly: transliteration communicates not what the word means, but merely how it sounds (more or less accurate)
Secondly, the Dark Speech is highly magical: say, you will die (without any save and regardless of protective magic) if try to pronounce the Dread Word without actually casting the Dread Word - thus, I wouldn't be so sure about the "Make these specific sounds in this order"...

One more dysfunction - Crawling Eye invocation (Complete Mage):

You can't cast most invocations or spells through the eye, but any spells or invocations that affect your sense of sight such as devil's sight, all-seeing eyes, or detect magic function through the eye as though it was still attached.
Detect Magic don't depend on sight - blind or eyeless creatures are able to use it just fine, as well as "normally"-sighted creatures during the restricted visibility. Heck, it's even able to penetrate solid barriers...

Inevitability
2022-11-23, 04:04 AM
Well, firstly: transliteration communicates not what the word means, but merely how it sounds (more or less accurate)
Secondly, the Dark Speech is highly magical: say, you will die (without any save and regardless of protective magic) if try to pronounce the Dread Word without actually casting the Dread Word - thus, I wouldn't be so sure about the "Make these specific sounds in this order"...

Then maybe in the scroll's instructions there's a big obvious gap where some word of power is clearly supposed to go, and anyone who knows dark speech can fill it just as easily as an English-speaker can fill the gap in the sentence "The angry man's mouth was slightly open, showing how he was gnashing his ____."

That doesn't explain why a caster unfamiliar with dark speech can use the scroll, but honestly I've got half a mind to say they can't: the rule that you can cast spells from scrolls is trumped by the rule that Dark Speech, specifically, kills untrained speakers.

Semi-related: it's kind of funny how this spell and the Power Word line can be cast perfectly well with the Silent Spell feat applied.

St Fan
2022-11-25, 07:50 PM
I am bothered by the fact that some wondrous magic items require a permanency spell during creation (notably, the broom of flying and carpet of flying). This, for two reasons:

Firstly, the great majority of permanent magic items don't need such a spell, the process of making them a magic item in the first place is sufficient to make them last indefinitely. Why would a couple need permanency on top?

And secondly, permanency is one spell that have an XP cost! Except this cost is variable, depending on the level of the spell usually targeted. What is this value for a magic item creation? And should it be paid with every casting of the spell, i.e. once per day of crafting? It takes 17 days to make a broom of flying, and up to 60 days for the largest carpet of flying. Are we supposed to pay 2500xp per day in addition to the normal crafting cost?

ShurikVch
2022-11-25, 08:43 PM
I am bothered by the fact that some wondrous magic items require a permanency spell during creation (notably, the broom of flying and carpet of flying). This, for two reasons:

Firstly, the great majority of permanent magic items don't need such a spell, the process of making them a magic item in the first place is sufficient to make them last indefinitely. Why would a couple need permanency on top?

And secondly, permanency is one spell that have an XP cost! Except this cost is variable, depending on the level of the spell usually targeted. What is this value for a magic item creation? And should it be paid with every casting of the spell, i.e. once per day of crafting? It takes 17 days to make a broom of flying, and up to 60 days for the largest carpet of flying. Are we supposed to pay 2500xp per day in addition to the normal crafting cost?
You pay no extra XP cost for Permanency (how you even calculated that "2500 XP"? :smallconfused:)
Creating Wondrous Items (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWondrousItems):

If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the item, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require, nor are any XP costs inherent in a prerequisite spell incurred in the creation of the item. The act of working on the item triggers the prepared spells, making them unavailable for casting during each day of the item’s creation. (That is, those spell slots are expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if they had been cast.)

St Fan
2022-11-26, 06:03 AM
You pay no extra XP cost for Permanency (how you even calculated that "2500 XP"? :smallconfused:)
Creating Wondrous Items (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWondrousItems):

Okay, at least that part is covered... I got confused with the creation of scrolls or wands, where a cost of components or XP is integrated.

(2500 XP is the cost for making permanent a 5th-level spell, such as overland flight.)

Bucky
2022-12-13, 01:02 AM
(PF) has a bit of an inconsistency regarding the Bolt Ace gunslinger archetype and gun rarity categories.

In a "No Guns" campaign, guns don't exist. You can still use the Bolt Ace archetype of the gunslinger class, which uses crossbows instead of guns.
In a "Very Rare Guns" campaign, guns exist but the gunslinger class doesn't. So you can't be a Bolt Ace.

In other words, in any given campaign world, there can be Bolt Aces before guns are invented. But as soon as a single gun exists anywhere in the world, they lose their powers until firearms become sufficiently common that ordinary gunslingers emerge.

ShurikVch
2022-12-13, 10:28 AM
(2500 XP is the cost for making permanent a 5th-level spell, such as overland flight.)
:smallconfused: The last time I checked, Permanency cost was case-by-case (and Overland Flight is not even on the list of suitable spells)

goodpeople25
2022-12-13, 05:12 PM
:smallconfused: The last time I checked, Permanency cost was case-by-case (and Overland Flight is not even on the list of suitable spells)
It's listed as tables but all the spells on it use the same formula* you can reverse engineer. The spell in the PHB (pg. 260) does leave additional spells to be added up to the DM and discoverable through the spell research rules.

*X = spell level of target spell to be made permanent. Minimum 1.
Minimum CL = X + 8
XP cost = X*500

I borrowed the formula from a previous GitP thread from over a decade ago. I've checked a good number of them and found only one outlier so far in gust of wind which was the right level in 3.0 where the spell also exists.

St Fan
2022-12-16, 03:42 PM
It's listed as tables but all the spells on it use the same formula* you can reverse engineer. The spell in the PHB (pg. 260) does leave additional spells to be added up to the DM and discoverable through the spell research rules.

Yup, I thought everybody was aware of that. It's pretty obvious when you look at the permanency tables.

Okay, this one I'm not sure that it's really dysfunctional, or if I'm missing something:

The spells persistent blade and Grazt's long grasp both create something capable of attacking foes at a distance (a dagger of force in the first case, the caster's disembodied hand in the second). The spells also specify that they can be used to flank enemies.

Problem, in both cases the created attacker is likely of tiny size; tiny creatures have a natural reach of 0ft; opponents with a reach of 0ft cannot flank.

Bucky
2022-12-19, 01:49 AM
Pathfinder's Pack Flanking feat does literally nothing under normal circumstances due to a dysfunction.

One of its prerequisites is "ability to acquire an animal companion".

Its benefit applies "When you and your companion creature have this feat..."

You can take the feat just fine, but your animal companion can't because it can't have its own animal companion, so it does nothing.

There are situations where an animal companion can get it as a bonus feat ignoring prerequisites. But it's dysfunctional if you try to simply include it in your build.

Bucky
2022-12-24, 03:35 PM
We already have bleeding oozes as a dysfunction in Pathfinder. But it's worse in 3.5. Crossposted from another thread, several sources of bleeding can make anything bleed regardless of whether that thing has blood to lose:

I thought this kind on nonsense is impossible in tabletop D&D: Skeletons have no blood, and thus - should be immune to bleeding damage...
But, apparently, I thought wrong: nobody in the game is innately immune to bleeding damage (by "bleeding" there I mean not Con damage, but hp DoT)
Instead, (in)vulnerability to bleeding is (usually) written in the RAW for attacks which causing it...
And, of course, they missed several of instances:
(Bone Ooze)(Chain Golem])(Desmodu Guard Bat)(Fleshraker (Knife Fiend))(Master of Chains PrC)
As we can see, there are no restrictions for "living" targets, for targets vulnerable to critical hits or sneak attacks, for "normal anatomy", or for certain creature types.
Thus, in 3.X D&D, Skeletons (and Mummies, and Stone Golems, and Fire Elementals, etc) can bleed!..

Incorporeal creatures appear to be immune because bleeding isn't a magic weapon, though.

Monarch Dodora
2022-12-24, 07:42 PM
While we're on the subject of oozes, they're also not immune to the sickened or nauseated conditions. Apparently they can feel stomach distress even without stomachs.

RSGA
2022-12-24, 09:49 PM
I guess that's what happens when the meal's too basic.

ShurikVch
2022-12-26, 08:18 PM
We already have bleeding oozes as a dysfunction in Pathfinder. But it's worse in 3.5. Crossposted from another thread, several sources of bleeding can make anything bleed regardless of whether that thing has blood to lose:
Little fun fact: they tried to fix it for the Bat:

Desmodu Hunting Bat: Animal; 5 ft./5 ft.; Hide +12, Listen +13, Move
Silently +9, Spot +13; Dodge, Weapon Finesse; LA —; Creatures immune to
critical hits are immune to the wounding effects of bite attack. Replace blindsight
with blindsense.
But they messed it: Desmodu Hunting Bat don't have wounding attack; Desmodu Guard Bat, on the other hand, ...

Incorporeal creatures appear to be immune because bleeding isn't a magic weapon, though.
Fleshraker's Wounding Weapon is (Su), and Superior Spiked Chain may be magical?..

Inevitability
2023-01-02, 10:25 AM
The Dragon Totem feat says this:

Choose one kind of true dragon as your totem. You gain resistance 5 to the type of energy associated with it.

Taking it qualifies one for the Dragon Rage feat, which says:

When you enter a rage or frenzy, your natural armor bonus improves by +2. In addition, for the duration of your rage or frenzy you gain resistance 10 to the energy type associated with your dragon totem (total resistance 15 while raging).

Except energy resistances don't stack, as per the rules compendium:

Multiple sources of resistance to a certain energy type don’t stack with each other. Only the highest value applies to any given attack.

Remuko
2023-01-02, 04:36 PM
The Dragon Totem feat says this:

Taking it qualifies one for the Dragon Rage feat, which says:

Except energy resistances don't stack, as per the rules compendium:

is that really dysfunctional? sounds like just a case of specific (the feat) trumping the general rule of such not stacking.

goodpeople25
2023-01-02, 05:40 PM
is that really dysfunctional? sounds like just a case of specific (the feat) trumping the general rule of such not stacking.
If so it would be because the feat says the total is 15 while raging which implies stacking but doesn't specifically mention that it does.
And that type of wording (instead of gain resistance blank X) as a specific rule can cause it's own issues/dysfunctions since those general rules not only disallows stacking but allows the highest value to apply.

Remuko
2023-01-02, 09:10 PM
If so it would be because the feat says the total is 15 while raging which implies stacking but doesn't specifically mention that it does.
And that type of wording (instead of gain resistance blank X) as a specific rule can cause it's own issues/dysfunctions since those general rules not only disallows stacking but allows the highest value to apply.

idk that specific feat says its 15 (10 from it and 5 from its prereq feat) i dont see how it would cause dysfunction. it works how it says because it says it does. yes it ignores the general rule, but it effects nothing but when you have both feats because the general rule covers all other cases except this extremely specific one.

goodpeople25
2023-01-02, 09:45 PM
idk that specific feat says its 15 (10 from it and 5 from its prereq feat) i dont see how it would cause dysfunction. it works how it says because it says it does. yes it ignores the general rule, but it effects nothing but when you have both feats because the general rule covers all other cases except this extremely specific one.
It says you get energy resistance 10 then it says that the total resistance is 15. It doesn't stay it stacks or that you get energy resistance 15 just that it is 15. So if you apply specific trump general to it you do get energy resistance 15 which is fine in a vacuum and a valid way to apply the spell.

How it then applies to other instances of energy resistance could still be considered dysfunctional however since you overwrote/bypassed the rules that govern it.

Of course you can just say it gives resistance 15 with no issues but that's not a case of specific trumps general.

Remuko
2023-01-03, 12:31 PM
It says you get energy resistance 10 then it says that the total resistance is 15. It doesn't stay it stacks or that you get energy resistance 15 just that it is 15. So if you apply specific trump general to it you do get energy resistance 15 which is fine in a vacuum and a valid way to apply the spell.

How it then applies to other instances of energy resistance could still be considered dysfunctional however since you overwrote/bypassed the rules that govern it.

Of course you can just say it gives resistance 15 with no issues but that's not a case of specific trumps general.

yes it says the total resistance is 15 which is the same thing. it says "your total resistance is 15" so it is. that the specific rule from the feat. it feels like one would have to be willingly taking the most obtuse reading to think it says otherwise.

goodpeople25
2023-01-03, 03:26 PM
yes it says the total resistance is 15 which is the same thing. it says "your total resistance is 15" so it is. that the specific rule from the feat. it feels like one would have to be willingly taking the most obtuse reading to think it says otherwise.
Yes exactly. Your resistance is 15 when raging with the feats and that's great until you have resistance 30 or something.

That's if you use specific trumps general (or are you using an "obtuse reading" of what that means?) over the stacking rules. If you rule that it gives resistance 15 like the brackets says and not resistance 10 then it doesn't have that problem but isn't specific trumps general.

Remuko
2023-01-04, 09:37 AM
Yes exactly. Your resistance is 15 when raging with the feats and that's great until you have resistance 30 or something.

That's if you use specific trumps general (or are you using an "obtuse reading" of what that means?) over the stacking rules. If you rule that it gives resistance 15 like the brackets says and not resistance 10 then it doesn't have that problem but isn't specific trumps general.

i just think the simplest solution is the correct one. the feat says you have 15 and says its 10 + the 5 from the prereq feat (tho says so indirectly, its still clear) and since it says you have 15 with these you do. obviously if you had a magic ring that gives 30 it would overlap not stack since it would use the general rule, and someone would be much less inclined to was resources on getting something like that if they already have resistance from those feats.

loky1109
2023-01-07, 10:51 AM
Widowmaker (Large vermin):

Steed (Ex) Widowmakers take instruction well and are easy to train. Treat a widowmaker as a magical beast with Intelligence 3 for the purpose of Handle Animal checks.
Handl Animal description:

Special: You can use this skill on a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 that is not an animal, but DC of any such check increases by 5.
Yeah, very easy to train...

Inevitability
2023-01-07, 12:29 PM
Widowmaker (Large vermin):

Handl Animal description:

Yeah, very easy to train...

Easy to train for beast heart adepts, obviously. :smalltongue:

loky1109
2023-01-07, 04:13 PM
Easy to train for beast heart adepts, obviously. :smalltongue:

Speculations? )))

St Fan
2023-01-09, 06:02 PM
I can't help but notice that animate dead and most other spells that create undead have the [Evil] descriptor...

But the Fell Animate metamagic feat, on the other hand, has no prerequisite. Meaning even a good divine caster barred from casting Evil spells by his faith can still animate zombies this way.

The rules really should be more consistent on whether creating undead is an evil act or not.

Bucky
2023-01-09, 06:19 PM
The rules really should be more consistent on whether creating undead is an evil act or not.

AFAICT it's still an evil act to create undead with Fell Animate, but the spell itself isn't powered by [Evil].

In other words, it's not evil to cast a Fell Animate spell in a way that doesn't animate anything.

Inevitability
2023-01-09, 06:25 PM
AFAICT it's still an evil act to create undead with Fell Animate, but the spell itself isn't powered by [Evil].

Unliving corpses—corrupt mockeries of life and purity—
are inherently evil. Creating them is one of the most
heinous crimes against the world that a character can
commit. Even if they are commanded to do something
good, undead invariably bring negative energy into the
world, which makes it a darker and more evil place.

Book of Vile Darkness is pretty explicit about undead creation, regardless of the reasons and purposes, being evil.

St Fan
2023-01-12, 11:24 AM
Either this spell is dysfunctional, or there's something I don't get...

False Lie

Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Bard 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Your subject takes on a shifty, dishonest demeanor.
False lie causes the subject to appear dishonest and deceptive.
Sense Motive checks made against the subject take a -10 penalty, and any failure convinces the observer that the subject is lying, even if she is not.
Anyone who casts a spell that reveals lies (such as discern lie) can attempt a caster level check (DC 11 + your caster level); if this fails, the spell registers the individual as lying even when she is not.
Material Component: A serpent's tongue.

A penalty to Sense Motive, in normal circumstances, makes the subject more likely to believe what's said to him, not less.
And if the subject is not lying, then the subject makes no roll with the Bluff skill... so how can you tell then that the Sense Motive check was a "failure"? Again, usually, a character who rolled high on Sense Motive versus someone not lying can tell himself "Either he's honest, or he's a very good liar...", or just conclude he can't tell either way if the Sense Motive check was low.

Besides, this is supposed to be a negative spell, but what is stopping the silent type (who otherwise leave the speaking to others) who specialize in using feint in combat to receive the spell and inflict a big penalty against anybody trying to see through the feint?

loky1109
2023-01-12, 01:44 PM
I saw somewhere (maybe PHB 3.0 ?) Sense Motive DC 20 to understand that you are being told the truth.

Chronos
2023-01-12, 05:00 PM
If there is a rule like loky1109 describes, then the spell works.

If there's not, then the Sense Motive skill by itself is dysfunctional, even without this spell.

Scenario: NPC is telling you something, and is in fact honest.
PC: "Do I think he's telling the truth?" <rolls Sense Motive, gets a high result>
DM: "Yeah, you think he's telling the truth."

This certainly seems like something that should be possible, but how?

Anyway, however that works, it's less likely to, with the False Lie spell.

InvisibleBison
2023-01-12, 06:20 PM
I saw somewhere (maybe PHB 3.0 ?) Sense Motive DC 20 to understand that you are being told the truth.

The "Hunch" function of Sense Motive lets you "get the feeling that someone is trustworthy. " Is that what you were thinking of?

In any event, false lie would make it harder for someone to use that feature to get a feel for the subject, which I suppose could make people less willing to trust the subject. It's definitely a bad spell, in no small part because it's useful for feinting than for social shenanigans, but I don't think it's dysfunctional.

Bucky
2023-01-19, 10:33 PM
Pathfinder's Ultimate Equipment has parade armor, which gives +3 AC. The details of parade armor differ by country, but the example parade armor includes a chain shirt.

The chain shirt would give +4 AC by itself, and it's four times as expensive as the list price of the parade armor, so the example parade armor gets more protective and expensive if you ditch the helmet etc.

---
Pathfinder's Elysiokineticist archetype adds Heal to its class skills, but all kineticists have Heal as a class skill anyway.

Chronos
2023-01-20, 04:47 PM
I think that just means that the chain shirt that's part of a suit of parade armor isn't a full piece of armor by itself, just a piece of a normal chain shirt. Like, maybe it's the infamous chainmail bikini.

Telok
2023-01-20, 09:55 PM
Pathfinder's Ultimate Equipment has parade armor, which gives +3 AC. The details of parade armor differ by country, but the example parade armor includes a chain shirt.

The chain shirt would give +4 AC by itself, and it's four times as expensive as the list price of the parade armor, so the example parade armor gets more protective and expensive if you ditch the

Yeah, that scans. I've seen illustrations & panapoly that I'd totally believe would be more protective if you ditched a few pieces. Mostly because the helms or some other bit looks good, but is really too heavy & restrictive for real combat. Better than nothing but take off the helmet so you can see, hear, turn your head, and raise your arms over your shoulders.

Bucky
2023-01-20, 09:58 PM
The chain shirt is also heavier, and more restrictive by Armor Check Penalty.

bekeleven
2023-06-08, 07:58 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread in a while but I don't think this is covered: Geas doesn't work. Or rather, it works, but it works simultaneously in two different ways due to confused developer intent.

Let's begin with Lesser Geas. I'll bold the relevant phrases.

A lesser geas places a magical command on a creature to carry out some service or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired by you. The creature must have 7 or fewer Hit Dice and be able to understand you. While a geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.

The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.

If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level. A clever recipient can subvert some instructions:

If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes a -2 penalty to each of its ability scores. Each day, another -2 penalty accumulates, up to a total of -8. No ability score can be reduced to less than 1 by this effect. The ability score penalties are removed 24 hours after the subject resumes obeying the lesser geas.

A lesser geas (and all ability score penalties) can be ended by break enchantment, limited wish, remove curse, miracle, or wish. Dispel magic does not affect a lesser geas.

So here, we see that Geas is a dominate person effect, which makes some sense, as it's a compulsion spell. The creature under the geas is forced to follow the instructions, and penalties are given to them if they are "prevented from" doing so.

Now, let's look at Geas, proper. First of all, it inherits Lesser Geas's function:

This spell functions similarly to lesser geas, except that it affects a creature of any HD and allows no saving throw.

So we'll move forward assuming that's the case. But what's the very next paragraph?

Instead of taking penalties to ability scores (as with lesser geas), the subject takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest. Additionally, each day it must make a Fortitude saving throw or become sickened. These effects end 24 hours after the creature attempts to resume the geas/quest.

This pretty directly contradicts Lesser Geas. Rather than being compelled to take a course of action, they are instead punished on days they "don't attempt" to take it. And they can avoid those penalties by "attempting to resume" the quest.

You can resolve this two ways:

Geas's wording overrides Lesser Geas's wording. The creature is no longer compelled to follow the quest you've given them, they are instead only punished if they don't.
Geas says it's "like lesser, except" and doesn't explicitly override the compulsion, so you're still compelled to attempt it, meaning that unlike lesser Geas, Geas has no RAW way for anybody to invoke its penalties. And those penalties explicitly override the ones applied by Lesser Geas.

Obviously, both of these readings are nonsense, but I think the first one is closer to making sense. When combined with the fact that the penalties are notably weaker (10 damage/day instead of a stacking -2 to every score), Geas appears to be a strictly worse effect, albeit one that's much more reliable to apply.

EliDupree
2023-06-09, 09:06 AM
Nice find!

To my reading, (2) is the only possible meaning under a literal interpretation of RAW: In general, the subject cannot "not attempt" to carry out the Geas, and therefore cannot take any penalties. (It's not obvious whether this is better or worse for the caster, who might prefer for the subject not to be penalized, to make them better at attempting the task.)

However, this doesn't mean it's technically impossible by RAW:

Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

This would enable someone to not attempt the Geas. I also think that if the character was asleep for 24 hours, they would take the penalties. (They would literally be "not attempting", despite not doing anything to disobey the orders either – in contrast to being imprisoned, where they could "attempt" by trying to escape or get released, even if they don't expect it to be successful.)

Chronos
2023-06-10, 07:12 AM
Since the thread is active again anyway, here's another one: The Bone Bow (Frostburn pg. 75) is an exotic weapon, but includes the text

A character may use a bone bow as a martial weapon, but doing so imparts a -4 penalty on attack rolls, and firing an arrow from the bow requires a full-round action

Or, you know, you could just wield it as an exotic weapon, even though you don't have proficiency. In that case,

A character who uses a weapon with which he or she is not proficient takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

So the entire effect of that rule for a Bone Bow is that a non-proficient character has the option (which they can choose not to take) to become even worse at wielding it than they already are.

H_H_F_F
2023-07-09, 11:34 AM
I don't think I've seen this anywhere: Rings of Shared Suffering are found in the Eberron Campaign Setting. They're a Dragonmark Focus item that lets a sentinel-marked Deneith house member apply shield other on the person wearing the other ring, with unlimited range and duration, at will. On top of that, they give you DR against the incoming damage from the spell: 1/-, 2/-, 3/- or 5/-, depending on the strength of your mark.

The dysfunction: shield other is a spell that causes untyped damage without an attack role. DR doesn't work on it for like, four different reasons.

RAI is clear (reduce n from each instance of incoming damage) but RAW is completely dysfunctional.

St Fan
2023-08-21, 08:18 AM
The Half-Elf Bard substitution levels include this feature:

Secrets of the Diplomat: At 8th level, a half-elf bard adds the following spells to her spells known: 1st - command; 2nd - zone of truth; 4th - sending.

This benefit replaces the 4th-level spell learned by a standard bard at 8th level. From now on, the bard knows one fewer 4th-level bard spell than normal (not counting the spells she learned from this substitution feature).

There is just a slight problem with this: standard bards don't learn a 4th-level spell at 8th level. The spell progression for bards only gives 4th-level spells at 10th level. (And even then, you need 18 Charisma to even have a spell slot and spells known.)

PS: And now, just reading the handbook (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?267985-Completely-Dysfunctional-Handbook-3-5), I see it was already mentioned. I should have realized the previous threads covered lots of ground.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-21, 08:27 AM
There is just a slight problem with this: standard bards don't learn a 4th-level spell at 8th level. The spell progression for bards only gives 4th-level spells at 10th level. (And even then, you need 18 Charisma to even have a spell slot and spells known.)

Versatile Spellcaster is your friend ^^ But yeah, since it doesn't replace anything (since the bard doesn't know a 4th level spell), only the "you know one 4th level spell less" applies, which in the end has the intended result.

EliDupree
2023-08-21, 08:34 AM
I was just having a look at Detect Good (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectGood.htm), which states:

This spell functions like detect evil (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm), except that it detects the auras of good creatures, clerics or paladins of good deities, good spells, and good magic items, and you are vulnerable to an overwhelming good aura if you are evil. Healing potions, antidotes, and similar beneficial items are not good.
...It doesn't say that it doesn't still detect evil things, just that it does now detect good things. So by RAW, Detect Good detects both good and evil. (The same dysfunction applies to Detect Law and Detect Chaos.)

truemane
2024-01-25, 09:24 AM
Metamagic Mod: thread re-opened

ShurikVch
2024-01-25, 09:48 AM
The People’s Champion (https://web.archive.org/web/20130531123941/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/cg/cg20011024a) PrC:

Supreme Cleave: At 3rd level, the people’s champion receives this feat for free.
No such feat
There are Supreme Cleave class features - Frenzied Berserker 2, Knight Protector 3, and Master Samurai 2 (and Supreme Cleave of Frenzied Berserker is more restrictive, since it specifies: "She is still limited to one such adjustment per round, so she cannot use this ability during a round in which she has already taken a 5-foot step" - which is not the case for the other two)

Inevitability
2024-01-25, 10:39 AM
Frostburn mentions the Icebergs and Snow domains in its deity table on page 42: neither exists.

bekeleven
2024-01-27, 07:55 PM
I assume everybody knows the kerfluffle with warlocks and metamagics, but to recap: The text of all metamagic feats explicitly require casting spells, but there's a paragraph in the start of the chapter saying "Obviously, since the sudden metamagic feats don't modify spell slots, warlocks can benefit from them." meanwhile the benefit is "you can cast a spell better."

One paragraph before that note is the one about weaponlike spells feats. I posted in a different thread about the issues with weapon focus and weaponlike spells (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25913171&postcount=48). the short version is that paragraph makes equally little sense, or even less, as it might manage to randomly break how sorcerers and wizards work.

Just today I've been looking at the Techsmith class from Faiths and Pantheons (I know 3.0 is easy pickings for this thread). At first I just wanted to figure out whether your Gondsman - a familiar-like construct you get as a class feature - can speak, and if so, what languages.* But from that, and a bizarre typo where at least half of a sentence is just missing mid-paragraph, more problems arose. Among them:

The Gondsman states that it has "hit dice equal to the techsmith's class level + 3." Almost immediately after it says "as the techsmith gains a level, the gondsman also increases its abilities by gaining a hit die." It feels like this class was written not thinking about the fact that characters can be multiclass - which is wild since it's a prestige class you're meant to enter after level six (requires 9 skill points). So even if "I dip this class and then progressing my build elsewhere" wasn't on their mind or was seen as explitative, "I finish the 10th level in the class" is still part of the assumed progression!
The Techsmith can grant their gondsman +1 "base attack bonus" on levelup, in addition to its BAB from HD (which it explicitly gains), meaning you can pump it over +20 - Less notable in 3.0, just weird in a book with no errata.
"Since constructs are creatures, cure spells affect [the Gondsman] normally." I checked, and yes, Cure spells in 3.0 also referred to laying your hands on a living creature.

*The text mentions you can communicate with it telepathically over a distance but doesn't cover what, if any, communication modes it has. It's intelligent and could in theory know/learn one or more languages. The answer is: really unclear, ask your DM, but conservatively assume no.

Chronos
2024-01-28, 08:20 AM
The Gondsman states that it has "hit dice equal to the techsmith's class level + 3." Almost immediately after it says "as the techsmith gains a level, the gondsman also increases its abilities by gaining a hit die."
Any reference to "level" in a class ability is always assumed to mean class level in that class, unless it explicitly says "character level". So the Gondsman would only gain a hit die when you gain a level in Techsmith. This is the same effect that sets the Gondsman's HD stated earlier, just restated for clarity. No dysfunction.

And it being possible for the Gondsman to have higher BAB than its HD is certainly unusual, but it's also the clear effect, here. And even in 3.5, having BAB greater than 20 is possible for monsters. Also not a dysfunction.

The only dysfunction here is the one about cure spells.

Oh, and there's also a rule that anything with an Int of 3 or more understands at least one language, so the Gondsman would, too. The only question is which language. The most likely candidates would be Common, the techsmith's primary language, or one language the techsmith knows of their choice (which might all be the same thing).

Beni-Kujaku
2024-01-29, 04:43 AM
The whole metamagic on an SLA thing comes under the jurisdiction of "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell" from the SRD. A few monsters even use Augment Summoning on summon SLAs and School Focus to increase SLAs' CL. Maybe strict RAW reading would disagree, but the RAI seems clear to me, clear enough that I wouldn't call it a dysfunction.

loky1109
2024-01-29, 05:42 AM
The whole metamagic on an SLA thing comes under the jurisdiction of "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell" from the SRD. A few monsters even use Augment Summoning on summon SLAs and School Focus to increase SLAs' CL. Maybe strict RAW reading would disagree, but the RAI seems clear to me, clear enough that I wouldn't call it a dysfunction.

Well, it IS dysfunction, but it's not specific monster's/class's dysfunction, but whole SLA and feats-for-spells rules' dysfunction.

ShurikVch
2024-01-29, 01:35 PM
I assume everybody knows the kerfluffle with warlocks and metamagics, but to recap: The text of all metamagic feats explicitly require casting spells, but there's a paragraph in the start of the chapter saying "Obviously, since the sudden metamagic feats don't modify spell slots, warlocks can benefit from them." meanwhile the benefit is "you can cast a spell better."
Acrually, WotC themselves used "cast as a spell-like ability" phrase:

Innate Spell [General]
You have mastered a spell so thoroughly you can now cast it as a spell-like ability.
Prerequisites: Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell.
Benefit: Choose a spell you can cast. You can now cast this spell at will as a spell-like ability once per round, without needing to prepare it. One spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell is permanently used to power it. If the innate spell has an XP component, you pay the XP cost each time you use the spell-like ability. If the innate spell has a focus, you must have the focus to use the spell-like ability. If the innate spell has a costly material component (see the spell description) you use an item worth 50 times that cost to use as a focus for the spell-like ability.
Since an innate spell is a spell-like ability and not an actual spell, a cleric cannot convert it to a cure or an inflict spell. Divine spellcasters who become unable to cast divine spells cannot use divine innate spells.
See: they told "cast ... as a spell-like ability" - despite, in the very next paragraph, admitted SLA aren't spells

Also, Chimeric Champion of Garl Glittergold PrC:

Finally, at 9th level, the chimeric champions knowledge of illusion magic reaches its peak. She chooses an additional 2nd-level arcane illusion spell to cast as a spell-like ability, and she also chooses one 3rd-level arcane illusion spell to cast as a spell-like ability. Each of these new abilities can be used once per day.

One paragraph before that note is the one about weaponlike spells feats. I posted in a different thread about the issues with weapon focus and weaponlike spells (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25913171&postcount=48). the short version is that paragraph makes equally little sense, or even less, as it might manage to randomly break how sorcerers and wizards work.

In addition:
Weapon Focus (ray),
Weapon Focus (energy missile),
Weapon Focus (eldritch blast),
and Weapon Focus (Grapple)...

Inevitability
2024-01-29, 04:37 PM
Acrually, WotC themselves used "cast as a spell-like ability" phrase

The hexblade dead levels class feature does it too, for something a bit later in 3.5's lifecycle.

Forced Omens (Ex): At 6th level, a foreboding sense of doom travels with the hexblade, as candle lights flicker, fresh food turns green, or the air becomes stale. A hexblade adds prestidigitation to their list of spells known. If a hexblade already knows this spell, the character may choose a different 1st level spell. As a bonus spell, prestidigitation cannot be traded for another 1st level spell.

At 8th level, a hexblade may cast prestidigitation as if augmented by the Silent Spell feat without using up a higher-level spell slot. At 11th level, a hexblade may cast prestidigitation as a spell-like ability, lacking both somatic and verbal components, but is still limited to their spell slots per day. At 14th level, a hexblade may cast prestidigitation a number of additional times per day equal to 3 + their Charisma modifier. At 18th level, a hexblade can cast prestidigitation at will. The prestidigitation spell disappears from their list of spells known at this level.

bekeleven
2024-01-31, 07:59 PM
Not to belabor the point but, if warlock invocations counted as casting spells, warlocks would become a much better class overnight due to qualifying for 5x as many prestige classes.

(What I'm trying to say is, let me know if they do, I would like to take some of those classes)

Inevitability
2024-04-06, 08:15 AM
Shadows from the Last War, the Undead Eyes spell.

This spell allows the user to form a telepathic link with a mindless undead creature that the caster has first cast control undead upon. The telepathic link provides two benefits. First, the caster can issue telepathic commands to the target (with the normal restrictions for control undead). Second the caster can form a sense-link to the target as a free action. This link allows the caster to see and hear through the senses of the undead creature.

The issue? Undead Eyes is a 2nd-level cleric and sorcerer/wizard spell. Control Undead is sorc/wiz only and 7th-level...

Also, Undead Eyes lasts for days/level while Control Undead is over in minutes, but that's more of an ambiguity than a true dysfunction.

Tohron
2024-04-06, 12:42 PM
Well, it is plausible that someone who can cast a powerful spell might develop weaker spells to situationally supplement it, though that still doesn't explain Undead Eyes being available to clerics.

ShurikVch
2024-04-06, 01:18 PM
though that still doesn't explain Undead Eyes being available to clerics
Undeath domain?

Chronos
2024-04-07, 07:13 AM
My guess is that it was supposed to work on any undead that the caster already had control of, also including ones they'd commanded via Rebuke Undead and those they controlled by virtue of having created them. That'd give it a use case for clerics, and would also make the long duration relevant.

InvisibleBison
2024-04-07, 07:51 AM
My guess is that it was supposed to work on any undead that the caster already had control of, also including ones they'd commanded via Rebuke Undead and those they controlled by virtue of having created them. That'd give it a use case for clerics, and would also make the long duration relevant.

I'm almost certain that the author of undead eyes confused control undead with command undead, which is a 2nd level spell.

St Fan
2024-04-07, 05:46 PM

I would agree with this reading, since it's the most functional ruling.

I'm almost certain that the author of undead eyes confused control undead with command undead, which is a 2nd level spell.

Very likely, although command undead is still not a Cleric spell.

Inevitability
2024-04-23, 02:45 AM
From the PHB II readthrough thread:

Luminous Assassin says:

After its initial attack, a Luminous Assassin attacks its target every round, taking its turn after your turn is completed.

And yet for some reason, the luminous assassin statblocks come with Improved Initiative...

ShurikVch
2024-04-30, 04:15 PM
Tarrasque (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm):

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.
But...

Sphere of Annihilation (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#sphereofAnnihilation):

Any matter that comes in contact with a sphere is instantly sucked into the void, gone, and utterly destroyed. Only the direct intervention of a deity can restore an annihilated character.
Tarrasque is not a deity...

glass
2024-05-01, 07:01 AM
Tarrasque (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm):

But...

Sphere of Annihilation (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#sphereofAnnihilation):

Tarrasque is not a deity..."Cannot kill the Tarrasque" is more specific than "can kill anything" so this is pretty clear case of "specific beats general", so it is pretty clear the sphere cannot kill the tarrasque. Is that a problem?

EDIT: Oh, I think I get it. If it doesn't kill it, there is no obvious way to determine what it does instead. "Nothing" does not seem like an particularly satisfying answer.

Inevitability
2024-05-01, 07:34 AM
Most creatures die when they are 'sucked into the void, gone, and utterly destroyed'. The tarrasque simply doesn't. The void is full of destroyed tarrasques who are somehow, in some metaphysical way, still alive.

It's no different from how a disintegrate spell that reduces a creature to 0 but not -10 HP doesn't kill it, but does reduce it to a mere trace of dust - which kills most creatures very shortly thereafter for lack of air/food/water/etc.

Pezzo
2024-05-01, 11:20 AM
It's no different from how a disintegrate spell that reduces a creature to 0 but not -10 HP doesn't kill it, but does reduce it to a mere trace of dust - which kills most creatures very shortly thereafter for lack of air/food/water/etc.

If it doesn't kill it, then the creature is still alive at 0 hp, still wearing it's gear, which was unaffected. Healing the creature should make the pile of dust a fully functional creature.

ShurikVch
2024-05-02, 04:18 PM
One more dysfunction (I don't sure if it was mentioned earlier): [vile] feats Deformity (Gaunt) and Deformity (Obese) - nothing in the prerequisites prevent skeletal creature (Undead or Construct) from taking one of those

"Cannot kill the Tarrasque" is more specific than "can kill anything" so this is pretty clear case of "specific beats general", so it is pretty clear the sphere cannot kill the tarrasque. Is that a problem?
The problem there is: the "... can be slain only by ..." line is blatantly false (for example, Regeneration can't save from lack of air - and Tarrasque's Regeneration is no different there), and enforcing regardless would make it even more silly than it already is
In the case of Sphere of Annihilation - I think it just destroys so completely there is nothing to regenerate from

Tohron
2024-05-02, 05:38 PM
One more dysfunction (I don't sure if it was mentioned earlier): [vile] feats Deformity (Gaunt) and Deformity (Obese) - nothing in the prerequisites prevent skeletal creature (Undead or Construct) from taking one of those

I guess that would give "big-boned" a new meaning...

Chronos
2024-05-02, 06:40 PM
Tarrasque's regeneration is different there, because it specifically says that it can only be killed by a Wish. It also says how it interacts with effects that would ordinarily instantly slay a creature.

A Sphere of Annihilation instantly annihilates 868 HP worth of the Tarrasque's mass, but it can still recover from that.

glass
2024-05-05, 02:52 AM
The problem there is: the "... can be slain only by ..." line is blatantly falseIt's a rule. It cannot be false (blatantly or otherwise). It can be overridden by more specific rules, but otherwise it stands.

(for example, Regeneration can't save from lack of air - and Tarrasque's Regeneration is no different there)Sure it is. Because it says so.

ShurikVch
2024-05-10, 12:37 PM
It's a rule. It cannot be false (blatantly or otherwise). It can be overridden by more specific rules, but otherwise it stands.
If you don't noticed, it's the "Dysfunctional Rules" thread - it's chock-full of false rules (blatantly or otherwise)
I mean - if you can explain how (or when) to make Leadership checks (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25560778&postcount=90) by RAW... :smallwink:

Sure it is. Because it says so.
No, it doesn't says so.
It says:

The tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hp).
Suffocation is neither a spell, nor allow a save (which Tarrasque could fail in order for this rule to kick in)

There are numerous ways to kill the tarrasque without resorting to Wish/Miracle

For example, form-changing spells:
Arboreal Transformation (Complete Mage) and Touch of Juiblex (Book of Vile Darkness) are both turn their victims into plants ("a normal tree" and Green Slime respectively). After the transformation is finished - what's prevent us from burning it down (and, thus, killing the tarrasque without using Wish spell?)
Heck, even "simple" Baleful Polymorph (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm) may do it there (possible successful saves aside): once 24 hours is over - it's a little critter without any unusual abilities. After that, you can just stomp on it. (Or, you know, set it in a cage for it to die of old age in a few years - anyway, it would be dead)

Or, you know, Mind Switch - if Grim Psion (https://web.archive.org/web/20161031215723/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b) successfully manifest it on the tarrasque, they would be in the tarrasque's body while keeping their respective class features, and the very 1st level of the class gives Undeath: no Con - no Regeneration, and no Regeneration - dead tarrasque

glass
2024-05-10, 02:07 PM
If you don't noticed, it's the "Dysfunctional Rules" thread - it's chock-full of false rules (blatantly or otherwise)It's full of dysfuctional rules. It's full of of rules that are badly written or just bad. Occasionally, it's full of rules that are fine but have been misinterpreted.

But it can't be full of rules that are false. A rule cannot be wrong about what it is saying - if it says something, by definition it says that thing!

I mean - if you can explain how (or when) to make Leadership checks (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25560778&postcount=90) by RAW... :smallwink:To the best of my knowledge, there no need or method to make leadership checks - that is what makes the subject of that post dysfunctional. But it doesn't make it "false" - if such checks were introduced, the item would add +5 to them just like it says.

No, it doesn't says so.This is confusing, because a few posts ago you quoted its saying so, thus:

The problem there is: the "... can be slain only by ..." line is blatantly false(Plus your SRD quote in a previous post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=26004235&postcount=193)).

Either is says it, in which case it is not false because it makes it true by saying it, because that's how rule work! Or it doesn't say it, in which case it isn't false because it isn't there at all. Unlike Schrodinger's cat, it cannot be both. Yes, I know Shrodinger didn't believe the cat was both alive and dead - he was trying to ridicule Quantum Mechanics not explain it.
(For the record, its the former.)

Rules can have exceptions, implicit or explicit. But if having exceptions made a rule false, the vast majority of the rules in the game would be false.

There are numerous ways to kill the tarrasque without resorting to Wish/MiracleQuite possibly, but each of them is an explicit or implicit exception to the stated rule. And suffocation is not one of them - nothing makes suffocation an explicit or implicit exception to the tarrasque's clearly stated rule, so it cannot kill it.

For example, form-changing spells:
Arboreal Transformation (Complete Mage) and Touch of Juiblex (Book of Vile Darkness) are both turn their victims into plants ("a normal tree" and Green Slime respectively). After the transformation is finished - what's prevent us from burning it down (and, thus, killing the tarrasque without using Wish spell?)
Heck, even "simple" Baleful Polymorph (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm) may do it there (possible successful saves aside): once 24 hours is over - it's a little critter without any unusual abilities. After that, you can just stomp on it. (Or, you know, set it in a cage for it to die of old age in a few years - anyway, it would be dead)

Or, you know, Mind Switch - if Grim Psion (https://web.archive.org/web/20161031215723/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b) successfully manifest it on the tarrasque, they would be in the tarrasque's body while keeping their respective class features, and the very 1st level of the class gives Undeath: no Con - no Regeneration, and no Regeneration - dead tarrasqueThese OTOH (assuming they all work) are fine examples of implicit exceptions. The tarrasque's invulnerability is provided by its Regeneration - remove the one, and you remove the other. A rule not applying is not the same as a rule being false.

ShurikVch
2024-05-10, 03:44 PM
It's full of dysfuctional rules. It's full of of rules that are badly written or just bad. Occasionally, it's full of rules that are fine but have been misinterpreted.

But it can't be full of rules that are false. A rule cannot be wrong about what it is saying - if it says something, by definition it says that thing!
O RLY?
Prerequisite for Black Flame Zealot PrC:

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (kukri), Iron Will.
Except - Kukri is a Martial Weapon in 3.5
While, technically, there is a way to actually get EWP with Kukri in 3.5 (some special materials) - would you really say it's the only RAW-legal way to qualify for Black Flame Zealot?

To the best of my knowledge, there no need or method to make leadership checks - that is what makes the subject of that post dysfunctional. But it doesn't make it "false" - if such checks were introduced, the item would add +5 to them just like it says.
If such checks were introduced - then rule wouldn't be false

This is confusing, because a few posts ago you quoted its saying so, thus:

Either is says it, in which case it is not false because it makes it true by saying it, because that's how rule work! Or it doesn't say it, in which case it isn't false because it isn't there at all. Unlike Schrodinger's cat, it cannot be both. Yes, I know Shrodinger didn't believe the cat was both alive and dead - he was trying to ridicule Quantum Mechanics not explain it.
(For the record, its the former.)

Rules can have exceptions, implicit or explicit. But if having exceptions made a rule false, the vast majority of the rules in the game would be false.
You see, it says:

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.
"Only" is a strong statement - it implying there is no exceptions from this rule
Any single exception - no matter how far-fetched - makes it automatically false
(Heck, taken literally, even such methods as Reality Revision (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/realityRevision.htm) or even Alter Reality (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#alterReality) shouldn't work too - because they aren't "a wish or miracle spell")

Quite possibly, but each of them is an explicit or implicit exception to the stated rule. And suffocation is not one of them - nothing makes suffocation an explicit or implicit exception to the tarrasque's clearly stated rule, so it cannot kill it.
As I already said above, there is a strong statement in the tarrasque's RAW - thus, it gives no place for implicit exceptions (explicit exceptions are, usually, more or less self-explaining)
For suffocation, let's see:

Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

Suffocation
A character who has no air to breathe can hold her breath for 2 rounds per point of Constitution. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check in order to continue holding her breath. The save must be repeated each round, with the DC increasing by +1 for each previous success.

When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates.
Suffocation don't deal hit point damage (but even if it did - Regeneration would be incapable to restore them anyway)
Now, Tarrasque (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) is a Magical Beast (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#magicalBeastType)

Magical beasts eat, sleep, and breathe.
Maybe, entry for the tarrasque itself says something about its breathing or/and suffocation?
No, I don't seeing it
Thus, unless we're splitting hairs there ("dead ≠ slain", or even "suffocated ≠ dead") - I can's see how it's not an exception (be it explicit or implicit)

The tarrasque's invulnerability is provided by its Regeneration - remove the one, and you remove the other. A rule not applying is not the same as a rule being false.
While true, it was just the simplest example of how to do it

Another way is to make the Regeneration to "just not work" - but it may fall under the same umbrella as the previous group

Next group of methods is "no-save-just-die": RAW says about cases when tarrasque failed its save - not when there was no save possible to begin with (Sphere of Annihilation is a good example)

Now, there are ways which absolutely certainly would avoid the Regeneration - because it's not how Regeneration work
Ability Drain - if "Allip trick" works, then what will happen if we drain tarrasque's Constitution? (As extreme example of this method - force it to draw the "Death" card from the Deck of Many Things)
Ability Burn - just like the above (Mind Switch + Body Fuel)
Ability Penalty - "Con 0" one more time
negative levels - would it still be alive with 0 HD?
hit points drain - nothing in the rules says how to restore hit points drain, so I dare to guess even tarrasque's regeneration isn't one of those methods
thirst - mentioned in the same line as suffocation; Plane Shift it into a plane without any water (and desert-like environment - for Sandstorm rules to kick in)
make it Undead while skipping the "being dead" part (then - destroy, if you want so)
Molydeus Venom - ignores poison immunity, does Con damage, at Con 0 victims turn into Mane (CR 1 demon)
Transcend Mortality via Spellguard of Silverymoon ("You gain these benefits by using up all your remaining life force.")
Exalted Fury via Magic Jar (Sacrifice: You die. You can be raised or resurrected normally.)
make the tarrasque your Companion - create Companion of Flame and Hatred (Polyhedron #147) - it would die 5 days later
make the tarrasque your Familiar - become a Diabolist - Imp would kill and devour the tarrasque (I, personally, don't know how they would do it - but RAW says they would)

glass
2024-05-11, 07:59 AM
Lots of examples, ShurikVc. By necessity they fall into one of two categories:

They do create an exception to the tarrasque's invulnerability, and therefore can kill the tarrasque, because specific beats general. The tarrasque's general rule does not become "false" (or dysfunctional) because it has exceptions - virtually every rule does.
They do not create an exception, and therefore cannot kill the tarrsaque. It's invulnerability holds, and is therefore obviously not "false" (or dysfunctional).

That's it. Those are the only possibilities, it is one or the other. If A is false, NOT A must be true and vice versa. There is no way for A and NOT A to be both true or both false - that's basic logic.

I am not going to go through your myriad examples and figure out which category they fall into, because I cannot be bothered and because it really doesn't matter.

There is perhaps a legitimate criticism that, because the tarrasque's Regeneration explicitly has so much greater scope than the normal Regeneration they should have called it something different. But I don't think that that rises to the level of a dysfunction.

Chronos
2024-05-12, 07:31 AM
I guess that, technically, there's a hole in the rules in that it doesn't say what would happen to the Tarrasque if something would kill it instantly without a save. We know that it doesn't kill it instantly, because it's not Wish or Miracle and those are the only things that can kill it. But the rule about it taking 868 nonlethal damage only explicitly applies to failing a save. So a DM could rule that a Sphere of Annihilation or drowning just does nothing at all to the Tarrasque, I suppose. But it's probably more reasonable to assume that those things have the same effect as insta-kills that do offer saves.

glass
2024-05-12, 11:35 AM
I am not going to go through your myriad examples and figure out which category they fall into, because I cannot be bothered and because it really doesn't matter.I said that and I stand by it, but I have to admit I am really curious: How the hell do you make the tarrasque your familiar?

ShurikVch
2024-05-12, 08:18 PM
I said that and I stand by it, but I have to admit I am really curious: How the hell do you make the tarrasque your familiar?
Make it your Mount via Windrider dip - then Familiar Mount by High One Warrior-Wizard Substitution Level

ShurikVch
2024-05-14, 06:40 PM
I guess that would give "big-boned" a new meaning...
Especially considering the fact Skeleton(/Bone Creature/etc) don't specifying weight change - thus, Skeleton(/etc) weighs as much as living creature :smallamused:

But it's probably more reasonable to assume that those things have the same effect as insta-kills that do offer saves.
What's about Trap the Soul (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm)?
Tarrasque would - what, "regrow" its soul?! Then what would happen when the gem is crushed? Tarrasque got one more soul?
(Yes, technically, Trap the Soul allows a save. But, even on a successful save, it still inflicts 4 negative levels - 12 shots later would get us 0 HD Tarasque...)

Chronos
2024-05-15, 03:35 PM
Trap the Soul doesn't kill, so it doesn't interact with the Tarrasque's regeneration, and so (if it fails its save) it affects it normally. It's inside the gem, but still alive.

ShurikVch
2024-05-15, 04:03 PM
Trap the Soul doesn't kill, so it doesn't interact with the Tarrasque's regeneration, and so (if it fails its save) it affects it normally. It's inside the gem, but still alive.
Trap the Soul very much kills: it's only the soul which is inside the gem - body falls dead and decays

Beni-Kujaku
2024-05-15, 05:47 PM
What's about Trap the Soul (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm)?
Tarrasque would - what, "regrow" its soul?! Then what would happen when the gem is crushed? Tarrasque got one more soul?
(Yes, technically, Trap the Soul allows a save. But, even on a successful save, it still inflicts 4 negative levels - 12 shots later would get us 0 HD Tarasque...)

Cool Tarrasques say "no" to negative levels. Also, it's the Tarrasque. If it has to regrow a soul to avoid being killed, it will regrow a soul. Probably two or three, just to be sure. The Tarrasque does not die, unless with a Wish or Miracle. No air? The Tarrasque goes to 0, then -1 HP, but when it would die from suffocation with no save, its Regeneration just says no and nothing happens. Since the rules say nothing happens after the third round, the Tarrasque eventually naturally heals, and wakes up.
No food? The Tarrasque is dealt a lot of nonlethal damage, but since it can eat anything, it cannot truly starve unless in the vacuum of space, and something will eventually get in its mouth, at which point it immediately starts regenerating the nonlethal damage.
Instant, no-save death? Its ability says no. It didn't fail a save, so it isn't dealt 868 points of nonlethal damage, but also it is immune to death, so nothing happens.
Coup de Grace? Nonlethal damage.
Trap the Soul traps the material body as well as the soul, so it does not kill, and the Tarrasque is trapped.

ShurikVch
2024-05-15, 05:59 PM
Trap the Soul traps the material body as well as the soul, so it does not kill, and the Tarrasque is trapped.
It doesn't:

The soulless body collapses in a mass of corruption and molders in a single round, reduced to dust.

Tarrasques say "no" to negative levels.
Not according to its description

Jack_Simth
2024-05-15, 07:34 PM
So you're looking at the Trap the Soul ability of the demilich (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm) rather than the Trap the Soul (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) spell?

Because with the spell:

Trap the soul forces a creature’s life force (and its material body) into a gem. The gem holds the trapped entity indefinitely or until the gem is broken and the life force is released, which allows the material body to reform.

ShurikVch
2024-05-15, 07:52 PM
So you're looking at the Trap the Soul ability of the demilich (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm) rather than the Trap the Soul (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) spell?
Yes!
I never said "Trap the Soul spell"
And gave actual working link (not my fault nobody checked it)

Jack_Simth
2024-05-15, 07:56 PM
Yes!
I never said "Trap the Soul spell"
And gave actual working link (not my fault nobody checked it)

Perhaps, but you also never really clarified when it became obvious what most thought you meant based on their objections.

Beni-Kujaku
2024-05-16, 01:20 PM

Oh‚ yeah‚ not the spell‚ okay. So yeah‚ it does not kill. Tarrasque says no to death. How does it work? Don't know. Either it regrows a soul or it lives on without one.

And the tarrasque has immunity to energy drain. I know there is some RAW reading that applying negative levels with an ability not specifically called energy drain would not be blocked‚ but I honestly think nobody thinks undead could be affected by any negative level that does not mention them.

ShurikVch
2024-05-16, 02:00 PM
I honestly think nobody thinks undead could be affected by any negative level that does not mention them.
What - you mean Skeleton who trying to pick up the Holy Avenger wouldn't get -1 HD (and, thus, destroyed instantly for being 0 HD)?

Oh‚ yeah‚ not the spell‚ okay. So yeah‚ it does not kill. Tarrasque says no to death. How does it work? Don't know. Either it regrows a soul or it lives on without one.
How about the Trollbane?
It negates Regeneration
Few good hits - and Tarrasque goes down
Still no need for Wish or Miracle...

Chronos
2024-05-16, 03:34 PM
Isn't Trollbane a poison? Big T is immune to those, too. But if you have something else that unconditionally shuts down regeneration like that, and isn't a poison (I think one of the Elder Evils has something?), then that does work, because the Tarrasque's "can't die" is part of its regeneration ability.

ShurikVch
2024-05-16, 04:34 PM
Isn't Trollbane a poison? Big T is immune to those, too.
It's unclear: Trollbane is called "poison" only in the fluff text - despite missing all other attributes of poison (like save DC, or secondary damage)
Thus, "Yes or No" is up to DM
Still, I thought ahead in case of "Yes"

(I think one of the Elder Evils has something?)
Aspect of Sertrous got Poisoner's Breath, which suppresses any poison immunity

Also, Shaktari, Queen of Mariliths (Dragon #359) got Aura of Toxin, which not just suppressing poison immunities (other than those from "Con: -"), but even Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison spells! (but Shaktari is 30 HD - thus, more difficult to call than Aspect of Sertrous, which is 23 HD)

One more way to deal with poison immunity is to zap the Tarrasque with Trait Removal; but, if we using this spell, we can as well just remove the Regeneration...

St Fan
2024-05-19, 09:39 AM
A minor one from Dragon Magazine #312, for the Fleshcrafter wizard variant:

Stitched Flesh Familiar: While other spellcasters summon familiars to do their bidding, the fleshcrafter forms his own. He can build a construct familiar with a value of 300 gp by gathering the necessary body parts from three Medium humanoids that he has killed, and making successful DC 18 Craft checks. He must then donate a portion of his own life force to grant his construct the spark of life. This portion of the process costs an additional 100 gp in components. (Failing the Craft check uses up this last 100 gp as well as any other wasted materials and money.) This shared life force creates such a deep bond between the two that the fleshcrafter cannot create another such familiar until his current servant dies.

It's interesting this class feature demands a Craft check... without specifying WHAT sub-category of the Craft skill is concerned. Where do you put your skill ranks to help this check?

Tohron
2024-05-19, 10:51 AM
It's interesting this class feature demands a Craft check... without specifying WHAT sub-category of the Craft skill is concerned. Where do you put your skill ranks to help this check?

I guess the player can use a Craft sub-category of their choice - the only requirement is that it has to be a Craft check. It would be interesting to see a flesh familiar made with Craft(bowmaking).